News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Marvel Comics in Film: What Might the Future Hold?

Started by Mathim, June 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on July 02, 2013, 02:25:19 PM
Is she more commonly associated with the X-Men or the Avengers?

Sooort of with the X-Men, although she's currently with Colossus' break-away group.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 02, 2013, 07:12:30 PM
Sooort of with the X-Men, although she's currently with Colossus' break-away group.
Well if Fox really pushes it they're going to win. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Who's to say that Fox couldn't release the movie?  Mathim's original post didn't specify one studio, just the Marvel 'cinematic universe' - unless that requires the movies to be done by Disney.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 02, 2013, 07:39:51 PM
Who's to say that Fox couldn't release the movie?  Mathim's original post didn't specify one studio, just the Marvel 'cinematic universe' - unless that requires the movies to be done by Disney.
Well, if it's going to be part of the Marvel C.U. then Disney's probably going to raise a stink on their end. :\

Ah, the wonderful world of legality! :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Nope, I didn't specify any particular continuity, the discussion encompasses all the different 'brands' producing characters featuring Marvel Films, whether Sony, Fox, Marvel Studios, etc. Although I wish those others would stop making crap movies that make the whole name look bad. Not that the MCU is spotless anymore, not after Iron Man 3.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

I enjoyed Iron Man 3, I thought it was better than the second one by far. :\ Ah, opinions.

Still, now I want a Silver Sable movie. :3

Mathim

Doesn't she not have any superpowers? I don't think that would play too well. Probably why there wasn't a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Yes because Batman movies are terrible because he doesn't have any superpowers. :\

Depends on how it's done. They kept Black Widow and Hawkeye out of their own movies because they're so attached to SHIELD, they'd get filled in between the movies proper.

Oniya

Nick Fury doesn't have any 'super powers' either, except for incredibly slow aging from the Infinity Serum.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 03, 2013, 10:35:36 AM
Nick Fury doesn't have any 'super powers' either, except for incredibly slow aging from the Infinity Serum.
And that came later. Initially he was just, as Tony Stark put it, "A spy--he's the spy."

Oniya

And everyone's got to admit that Silver Sable looks a lot better in Kevlar-enhanced Spandex than Fury.  :D

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on July 03, 2013, 10:31:05 AM
Yes because Batman movies are terrible because he doesn't have any superpowers. :\

Depends on how it's done. They kept Black Widow and Hawkeye out of their own movies because they're so attached to SHIELD, they'd get filled in between the movies proper.

If you believe that...tch. And Batman's arsenal of gadgets (and being able to 'fly') are too over-the-top even for the Marvelverse, but he uses them and that's what makes his movies rock despite a lack of powers. Besides, he's not from a continuity where he'll constantly be compared to others (god forbid Superman) so he's not insecure about what he can do despite not having super-strength or anything like that.

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on July 03, 2013, 11:41:52 AM
Besides, he's not from a continuity where he'll constantly be compared to others (god forbid Superman) so he's not insecure about what he can do despite not having super-strength or anything like that.

That's because he also keeps a lump of Kryptonite on hand - just in case.  ;D  (Damn, that planet must have been huge!)

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 03, 2013, 12:46:35 PM
That's because he also keeps a lump of Kryptonite on hand - just in case.  ;D  (Damn, that planet must have been huge!)
It was supposed to be a large planet. Originally it had a higher gravity than Earth and that's why he was so tough and strong. The yellow sun stuff came later.

And Batman knows how to take down every other superhero in the DC universe, because he's the Goddamn Batman.

Remember Silver Sable has taken down mutants and a couple of Spider-Man characters, among other things.

Mathim

I think most non-super-powered humans who do that sort of thing can take out weaker superpeoples. It's nothing new. Even some of the lamer superheroes sometimes get one over on the big wig bad guys. Doesn't mean they deserve their own movies.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on July 03, 2013, 01:20:39 PM
I think most non-super-powered humans who do that sort of thing can take out weaker superpeoples. It's nothing new. Even some of the lamer superheroes sometimes get one over on the big wig bad guys. Doesn't mean they deserve their own movies.

Well, really there are a couple of factors:

How well is the character known outside of the comic book crowd. A movie has to be palatable to the larger movie-going crowds.
If you want them in the Avengers 2 they're going to have to belong to Disney.

I'd like to see a Sergent Rock movie, but I don't think that's going to happen. :P
I don't think Silver Sable is too far out of the realm of possibility. It might be a good tie-in for the Deadpool movie in the works.

Maybe Blade is back up for grabs.

ShadowFox89

From what I can gather, Blade is in Marvel's hands again. As is the Punisher film rights.

Moral of the story: Make an ironclad agreement so that you can get the rights back to your characters before a studio can turn them into a Franchise Zombie.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 03, 2013, 01:50:34 PM
From what I can gather, Blade is in Marvel's hands again. As is the Punisher film rights.

Moral of the story: Make an ironclad agreement so that you can get the rights back to your characters before a studio can turn them into a Franchise Zombie.
Actually, new fim-rights laws reflect this. Used to film companies would buy up movie rights and sit on them for years (that's why MGM had Oz for so long).

Now, companies have to prove that they're doing something. That's why you got the Spider-Man reboot, a new Wolverine Movie, and X-Men First Class.

There's also scuttlebutt about a new Fantastic Four movie.

ShadowFox89

Movie companies should prove that they're doing something good for the franchise....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on July 03, 2013, 02:03:53 PM
Actually, new fim-rights laws reflect this. Used to film companies would buy up movie rights and sit on them for years (that's why MGM had Oz for so long).

Now, companies have to prove that they're doing something. That's why you got the Spider-Man reboot, a new Wolverine Movie, and X-Men First Class.

There's also scuttlebutt about a new Fantastic Four movie.

That and Daredevil. Although I thought it was good...for a guy with a limited superpower he had the right kind of villains and was really Marvel's ultimate tragic hero. I hated that the Spidey movies keep trying to make him that.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on July 03, 2013, 04:35:43 PM
That and Daredevil. Although I thought it was good...for a guy with a limited superpower he had the right kind of villains and was really Marvel's ultimate tragic hero. I hated that the Spidey movies keep trying to make him that.
Mmm... Spidey probably is a better example of a classically tragic hero. Daredevil is more tragic-by-circumstance.

Peter Parker is a kid blessed with extraordinary ability, but his own selfishness causes those around him to pay. That's a lot more in line with the Greek sense.

That's neither here nor there really. I don't know if I want to see another Daredevil movie. Without Michael Clark Duncan to play the Kingpin, what's the point? :'(

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on July 03, 2013, 05:12:57 PM
Mmm... Spidey probably is a better example of a classically tragic hero. Daredevil is more tragic-by-circumstance.

Peter Parker is a kid blessed with extraordinary ability, but his own selfishness causes those around him to pay. That's a lot more in line with the Greek sense.
That's slightly incorrect.  Spider-Man is driven by just one tragic incident.  The death of his uncle. This one moment drives his entire life.  Everything he's done as a hero is based around that one 'bad call'.  Does he make bad choices, yes, but most of Marvel's heroes have at some point in their lives.  Tony Stark's has done worse in the comics.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 03, 2013, 09:12:23 PM
That's slightly incorrect.  Spider-Man is driven by just one tragic incident.  The death of his uncle. This one moment drives his entire life.  Everything he's done as a hero is based around that one 'bad call'.  Does he make bad choices, yes, but most of Marvel's heroes have at some point in their lives.  Tony Stark's has done worse in the comics.
Not my point.

The Grecian Concept (Classical Tragedy) is a person otherwise a good person of some renown or special ability, causes all of their own suffering through one fatal flaw in their character.

Daredevil was blinded by an accident and has great powers, but his tragedy is not born of his own flaws.

Peter Parker caused his own tragedy, and in his penance is that he has to live with the burden. It's not a perfect Greek example but it kind of works.

EDIT: Actually, that kind of is my point. Greek Tragedy is defined by one fatal flaw, so yeah... Spidey's a better fit than most.

Chris Brady

OK, I get what you mean, now but this:

"but his own selfishness causes those around him to pay."

gives the sense that it's ongoing, but my point was that it's not.  It's the background incident that drives him and his decisions.  I get what you mean, but Grecian Tragedy often has characters who are doing 'great things' but are constantly doing those very things 'wrong' or end up harmful due to hubris and ego.  Peter Parker doesn't, he downplays it all, because of what happened to his uncle.  Which actually isn't his fault.  It was just ONE decision, in a lifetime of many others, which he had no idea would happen.  Unfortunately, unlike Grecian Heroes, he took the blame and built his entire superhero career around preventing and atoning for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unlike Grecian Tragedies, Spiderman's tragedy is his starting point.  And not the ending point of a long list, which is often what happens to Greek Heroes, often because they don't see what it is they've caused.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 04, 2013, 12:29:08 AM
OK, I get what you mean, now but this:

"but his own selfishness causes those around him to pay."

gives the sense that it's ongoing, but my point was that it's not.  It's the background incident that drives him and his decisions.  I get what you mean, but Grecian Tragedy often has characters who are doing 'great things' but are constantly doing those very things 'wrong' or end up harmful due to hubris and ego.  Peter Parker doesn't, he downplays it all, because of what happened to his uncle.  Which actually isn't his fault.  It was just ONE decision, in a lifetime of many others, which he had no idea would happen.  Unfortunately, unlike Grecian Heroes, he took the blame and built his entire superhero career around preventing and atoning for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unlike Grecian Tragedies, Spiderman's tragedy is his starting point.  And not the ending point of a long list, which is often what happens to Greek Heroes, often because they don't see what it is they've caused.
Ah, I get it.