Thought leads to heresy, heresy leads to retribution

Started by kongming, December 03, 2008, 03:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

I barely know him. However, he is on E (I don't know what user name), and we briefly spoke over the sup/tg/ chat - he commented on how he'd like to join a DH game on E.

Also: yaaay! Note how I intend to play Sister Verdania as less of a psychopath than usual - while still making her very religious to the point of it causing possible trouble. But she'll be harder on herself than on other party members and ordinary people (and harder still on the actual heathen).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Chaos

So, here's my attempt at a character - my first one for Dark Heresy, so tell me if I've missed anything obvious or made any errors, please!

Also, I don't know the proper way to do Wounds, Fate Points and so on - so I just went ahead and rolled dice for those, but if there's another way of doing it I should use, I can easily go back and fix those. Given the random monthly pay for Scum, I also just picked a not too long list of stuff I wanted Magda to have - it's about 85 Thrones worth,  I think.

Name: Magda   
Origin: Hive World (Ganger Scum)
Career: Scum (Outlaw)
Divination: "Only in Death Does Duty End"
Outlook: The universe is HUGE! Both exciting and intimidating... need to experience it.
   Stand by your gang, do right by those that have your back
   The Emperor watches over us all – so look busy!

Appearance:
Skin: Pale, bleached from a lack of natural light. Complex gang tattoos on her arms.
Hair: Dyed into shocking green spikes; mousey brown when left alone.
Eyes: Green
Fate: 2/2

WS 45 +4 *
BS 37 +3 *
S 30 +3
T 23 +2
Agi 45 +4 *
Int 25 +2
WP 30 +3
Per 35 +3
Fel 50 +5 *

Wounds: 13
Init: +5
Move: 4/8/12/24
Protection:
-Head 2
-Body 4
-Arms 3
-Legs 3

Traits:
Accustomed to Crowds – crowds don't count as Difficult terrain

Caves of Steel – Treat Tech-use as Basic Skill

Hivebound - -10 penalty to Survival tests, -5 to Int when out of a proper hab

Wary - +1 bonus to initiative rolls

Talents:
Ambidextrous
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)
Pistol Training (SP)
Basic Weapon Training (SP)
Peer (Underworld)
Quick Draw

Skills:
Speak Language (Hive Dialect) 25%
Speak Language (Low Gothic) 25%
Blather 50%
Dodge 45%
Deceive 50%
Awareness 35%
Common Lore (Imperium) 25%

Barter 50%
Charm 50%
Dodge 45%
Concealment 45%
Inquiry 50%
Security 45%
Slight of Hand 45%

Equipment:
Shotgun (30m 37%, 1d10+4 I, pen 0, clip 2, rld 2 full, Scatter, reliable)
(12 shells)
Autopistol (30m, 37%, 1d10+2 I, pen 0, clip 18, rld full)
(1 clip)
Brass Knuckles (45%, 1d5-1 R, Primitive, unbalanced)

2 Knives (45%, 1d5 R, Primitive)
Sword (A really big knife) (45%, 1d10 R, Balanced, Primitive)
Gang Leathers
Quilted Vest
Manacles
Street Wear
Make up

Temptress

Just putting in a signal of interest in this. Ill have to pick up the book (i was planing on it anyway) and have a read, just I like the whole background to warhammer 40k. Never really like the actual game, and the models were expensive, just a friend collected them, so I got to read all the info ext. Like the dark, brooding themes.

Of course, this is all assuming I get accepted. Which hopefully shouldt be too long :)

HairyHeretic

Well, if you do get accepted we have room for you. Not having the book isn't that big of a drawback, as I can help with character creation there.

Chaos, I'll give your sheet an eyeball later. We didn't use the standard character creation rules though, were you aware of that?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Temptress

Ok great :D

I like the idea of the Sisters of Battle, but is 2 too many for a single game? Is there a scholar or something like that? Im less interested in playing a combat heavy character than I am interested in the actual game.

Chaos

HairyHeretic, I used what was kongming mentioned - 1500 xp instead of 400, 120 points for stats instead of rolling, and 2 months pay for equipment (though as mentioned I kinda fudged that last one). Is there anything else different?

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my post that that was how I was doing the character gen.

kongming

Temptress:
There are quite a few career choices focused around things other than combat - there is a scholarly type that gets a lot of money and a lot of knowledges, but isn't very good at shooting people in the face (but not completely useless in a fight), the priests also get decent money, many skills and a focus on willpower, intelligence and fellowship, tech-priests also are really good with knowledges and such (and get to add robotic bits to themselves). Also, while Sisters of Battle start off as sort of all-rounders, after the third rank (2000 XP or so), they can branch out into "Medic, good with talking to people, fixing wounds, and knowing stuff.", "Scholar, many knowledges and also knows the theory behind kicking daemons to the curb." and "Crazy bitch who shoots people in the face, then stabs them in the face, then sets them on fire. In the face."

So there are plenty of options if you want to go down that path. I'm pretty sure anything you want can fit.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Temptress on December 11, 2008, 04:04:16 AM
Ok great :D

I like the idea of the Sisters of Battle, but is 2 too many for a single game?

I don't generally put restrictions onto any group I GM for. If I end up with an entire party of combat monsters, I'll try to structure things so that the need for analysis is shuffled to the side (NPCs are useful things :) )

Quote from: Temptress on December 11, 2008, 04:04:16 AM
Is there a scholar or something like that? Im less interested in playing a combat heavy character than I am interested in the actual game.

Yep, there are. I'd need to go dig out my books to tell you the best options there, but it is possible. An administratum adept, adeptus mechanicus or perhaps even a psycher could all go a more scholarly route without too much hassle.

Quote from: Chaos on December 11, 2008, 04:28:24 AM
HairyHeretic, I used what was kongming mentioned - 1500 xp instead of 400, 120 points for stats instead of rolling, and 2 months pay for equipment (though as mentioned I kinda fudged that last one). Is there anything else different?

Ok, that's cool then.

Quote from: Chaos on December 11, 2008, 04:28:24 AM
Sorry, I should have mentioned in my post that that was how I was doing the character gen.

No worries.

In terms of starting equipment, I'm not going to get too hung up on things. Given you're members of an organisation that can request anything up a battleship without effort, having guns and gear shouldn't be a problem :)

On the flip side, I am not giving everyone jokaero digital lasers, graviton guns and vortex grenades 'because they're cool.' Common stuff, stuff that's in character, not likely to be a problem. Fancy stuff .. well, lets see if you can convince me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chaos

All good, then. I'll maybe think about equipment some more, but I can't imagine wanting anything that your average street gang member would have difficulty putting their hands on :)

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kongming

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 11, 2008, 01:25:52 PM

In terms of starting equipment, I'm not going to get too hung up on things. Given you're members of an organisation that can request anything up a battleship without effort, having guns and gear shouldn't be a problem :)

We should definitely have a Land Raider Redeemer for this mission :D

I jest, of course, but in later missions it might be cool to drive a Suppressor around. To suppress people.

Ons/Offs:

Chaos

Quote from: kongming on December 11, 2008, 06:21:15 PM

I jest, of course, but in later missions it might be cool to drive a Suppressor around. To suppress people.

:) Sounds like fun! Magda'll  definitely need a go at driving it, though...

(Not a good idea, as she doesn't know how to drive :P)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: kongming on December 11, 2008, 06:21:15 PM

It does make it a bit harder to be inconspicuous mind you  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Still here, just trying to get information together to make the actual character sheet.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Mainly just trying to make sure I don't overlap too much with everyone else.  Also, what is the point break down for stats.  I know we have 120 but that rule set isn't in the main book, least not what I can find.

HairyHeretic

Take the basic stats and instead of rolling, add the points on a one for one, up to the maximum for that stat.

So, if your stat was 20+2d10 normally, you start with the 20, and can then add up to 20 more points.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Temptress

Well, after borrowing a friends books, didnt know they had them untill now :),  I like the sound of a fast talking Noble-scum which is kinda an oxymoron i know. Question, is my monthly income 500 for being noble, or table based for being scum. My guess for this might have been at least one of the two monthly paychecks we are getting at the start of this being noble, to represent money tucked away, from the noble life, and the rest being scum based, because the character is no longer noble. Would that be about right?

Pumpkin Seeds

Noble-scum makes me think of Maverick...from that old Western ya know?

Temptress

Can't say ive seen it, how old?

Oh and another question, if Noble gives me Speak Language (low gothic) and so does scum, that means I get a +10 to it right?

And I don't have to spend any xp to get to 'Outlaw' do I? I have all of that 1500 to spend on stuff...

HairyHeretic

I think you might need to reread stuff there. Unless I'm remembering wrong, you can't change career from Noble to Scum, or anything else. What you pick is what you are for the remainder.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kongming

Noble is a background (and it states that it overrides your career-based income), so you can be a Noble Scum. They even noted that it's not as crazy as it sounds, but still uncommon - either a high-up toff that ran away from home/got kicked out, trying to survive on the streets with nothing but a mastercrafted autogun, a suit of carapace armour, a team of bodyguards and an Aquila lander (how did they manage?), or alternatively a noble who makes their wealth by being a crime lord or pirate.

I don't know of any rule that says "If background and career both give it, you get +10." I thought it was simply "Tough luck." If there's actually a ruling on that, do let me know :D

Ons/Offs:

Temptress

Yeah, Noble's a background.

But that doesn't really sound right, having an income of 500 constantly, despite having been kicked out of the family.

Oh ok I just assumed that you got a bonus for taking it twice.

Pumpkin Seeds

Rich people have a very odd sense of ostracized.  You always see those "blacksheep" trust fund kids on TV that are making a million a year while being outside daddy's graces.