News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless One

Good news for season 3: they're casting for Jojen and Meera, and for the Tullys too!  ;D

Let's hope it's true...
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Tumult

I'm all sorts of excited for season three.

jouzinka

Gods, give me a bit of time to finish the fourth book, guys. XD
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Tumult

I totally need to go back and reread the books.

Lilias

Quote from: jouzinka on June 11, 2012, 01:13:28 AM
Gods, give me a bit of time to finish the fourth book, guys. XD

I haven't even started on the third. >_< And they're not exactly light summer reads... I'll wait for September to plunge back in, or I'll end up needing more antidepressants!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Nameless One

I tried the GoT boardgame some time ago (I used the Martells, if I remember right): it's basically a Risk! with more options and some special features. But, IMMO, it's not very funny and it gets boring quicly. Besides, it doesn't follow at all the setting mood, as there's no loyalties between families, no political intrigue, nothing but battles and raids.

:-(

Never tried Battles of Westeros, though. Maybe it's better!
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Nameless One

Quote from: Lilias on June 11, 2012, 05:55:02 PM
I haven't even started on the third. >_< And they're not exactly light summer reads... I'll wait for September to plunge back in, or I'll end up needing more antidepressants!

Hey Lilias, if you want a lighter summer read, but still enjoy the Song Of Ice And Fire saga, why don't you try the Tales Of Dunk And Egg? Three short novels, more action-packed, funny and adventurous than the original saga. The main characters are a towering hedge knight, Dunk, and his very special squire, Egg. The setting is Westeros, but 90 years before the Robert Baratheon rebellion.

Ons and Offs

Lilias

Quote from: Nameless One on June 12, 2012, 04:32:15 AM
Hey Lilias, if you want a lighter summer read, but still enjoy the Song Of Ice And Fire saga, why don't you try the Tales Of Dunk And Egg? Three short novels, more action-packed, funny and adventurous than the original saga. The main characters are a towering hedge knight, Dunk, and his very special squire, Egg. The setting is Westeros, but 90 years before the Robert Baratheon rebellion.

Thanks for the recommendation. :-) Time to raid the library (and hope half the town hasn't had the same idea!).
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

jouzinka

Quote from: Tumult on June 11, 2012, 05:48:56 PM
I totally need to go back and reread the books.
I'm a little scared of the need to re-read these books (if it ever comes) - all the suspense and surprise gone, though maybe you find different things that you missed before.
Quote from: Lilias on June 11, 2012, 05:55:02 PM
I only managed to read the prologue (a Citadel novice called Pate) and the first two chapters, which is Aeron Greyjoy on the Iron Islands and Areo Hotah in Dorne. For some reason I can't quite sink my teeth in it. Perhaps it's knowing that now I have some ~ 600 pages of buildup to read. Not that these are boring in any way, I already threw the book away twice. ;D

Tumult

Quote from: jouzinka on June 12, 2012, 05:12:23 AM
I'm a little scared of the need to re-read these books (if it ever comes) - all the suspense and surprise gone, though maybe you find different things that you missed before.

I enjoy rereading things for that very reason or just getting that feeling of the moment you read it where it is most fresh in your mind.

Nameless One

I read all five books and the threee Tales of Dunk and Egg, too. So I can blackmail people threatening to spoiler cool stuff about their favourite characters ::) For example, how they're going to die horrible, meaningless deaths.

Sometimes I think that Mr. Martin is some kind of high level, very clever troll... (U mad, reader?)

Ons and Offs

jouzinka

LOL XD

I actually don't mind spoilers that much, although they do take away a lot of the surprise, nonetheless, I'm always looking forward to seeing how they'll play out. :-)

The only thing I wasn't too keen on was how hard he was shipping that Tyrion sent the knife after Bran in the first book. That was nonsense since moment zero. ;D

Lilias

Quote from: Nameless One on June 14, 2012, 04:45:45 AM
Sometimes I think that Mr. Martin is some kind of high level, very clever troll... (U mad, reader?)

Marion Zimmer Bradley used to do the same. Not as wholesale, but there was enough 'letting you like this character before killing them horribly in the next novel' to induce some PTSD in her dedicated readers. ;)
~Wendell Berry

Beorning

Quote from: Lilias on June 14, 2012, 06:05:51 AM
Marion Zimmer Bradley used to do the same. Not as wholesale, but there was enough 'letting you like this character before killing them horribly in the next novel' to induce some PTSD in her dedicated readers. ;)

Hey, have you ever read The Terror by Dan Simmons? The whole novel is built on this approach... It's a very good book, but it's also one of the bleakest stories I've ever read.

Remiel

Quote from: Nameless One on June 14, 2012, 04:45:45 AM

Heh.  I don't think it's so much that as GRRM throws all the laws of dramatic convention out the window.  We're so used to our heroes getting away with so much because, well, they're the heroes.  Typically, if anyone else tried to do what they do, they'd end up with their throat slit and a dozen knives in their back.

I think GRRM wanted to say, "let's turn all these characters lose in this crazy fantasy world, step back, and watch what happens."  And I think he's stayed true to this, for the most part (obviously Daenaerys, Tyrion, and/or Arya are the exceptions).  This leads to a particular amount of reader grumbling, for example
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
when the Hound dies and we only find out about it after the fact
but it makes sense in the circumstances, and I have to respect that.

Nameless One

Yeah, for sure Mr Martin is not for "happy ending at all costs" readers. He sets his saga in a crude, cynical, unforgiving world. Not Moorcock-like, but unforgiving for sure.

Ons and Offs

jouzinka

It just occurred to me: I'm quite certain that Brienne and Jaime are a future pairing. ;D

As far as the unforgiving world... I'm coming across quite a number of people who can't read the books for being too violent.

Nameless One

Grrrrrrrrrr... Aaaaarrrgghhh....  *Resisting the urge to spoiler everything he knows about Jamie and Brienne*

Really? Too violent? By my side, some friends of mine quit reading because they couldn't stand the very very very long feast description... But it's a writer's quirk, I told them! You should appreciate it, not get bored and throw away the book.

Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: Nameless One on June 28, 2012, 10:49:05 AM
By my side, some friends of mine quit reading because they couldn't stand the very very very long feast description...

Tell your friends to avoid Redwall at all costs.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

jouzinka

Nameless One

Ons and Offs

Lilias

~Wendell Berry