Returners: Chosen of the World Anchors [Freeform Epic Fantasy, Discord OOC]

Started by MyttraDW, May 11, 2023, 09:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajah

Quote from: MyttraDW on May 12, 2023, 04:35:44 PM
Okay lemme try and explain. A returner can collect cards by drawing out a small amount of latent energy from something or somewhere. By combining these building block cards, they can create useable cards that create summons, weapons, items, and effects. These cards can then be fused to create even more possibilities. Though a Returner only has a limited library of cards, too much and the power becomes unstable.

Does that make any sense?

It's starting to make sense. In the interest of avoiding trouble down the road, some questions to help you sketch out what you're envisioning:

Is THIS cogent: A ferocious rabid dog is attacking you from say ten yards away, running full speed. You point at the dog and a distant mountain, drawing and combining the relevant cards to create a gigantic dog statue about a hundred feet across, scaring the attacking animal away. Then you point at yourself to draw a humanity card and turn the dog statue into a werewolf golem (rock + wolf + human) and have it chase the rabid dog so it doesn't just loop around and bite one of the village children or whatever.

Are the cards physical objects, can they be ripped or torn by someone who knows cards are bad news, or are they like ephemeral soul-constructs no one but the wielder is aware of? Do you have to physically manipulate them in some way or can you do magic while tied up and wearing steel gloves to hold your fingers still? How far away and how long does it to take to draw cards?

Does a card "run out" with use or with time and is there a...I guess, idea of the scale limit? Like I have a card of fire. Does the source of fire matter, IE candle is limited in use and I'm incentivized to make large fires to draw on, or is it immaterial where I draw from? How big a fire can I make under ideal circumstances / how big a rock etc? How does one "draw" your example of static creation, is that just "from any solid object" or do I need to find like a blacksmith? What other kinds of things like "static creation" are there, can I create an abstract "fire of passion" or draw from fire and bread to create toast? How complex of a thing can be drawn from - say I draw from an autojack. Do I get "autojack card" or "metal" or "clockwork" or "mobile creation" or what? Can one thing give different cards?

About (roughly) how many cards can a person "carry" and how do they "discard" them? If you fuse two cards, are you "carrying" both or just one? How many (roughly) cards can be fused into one? Can fused cards be fused again or modified or unfused?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

MyttraDW

Quote from: Rajah on May 16, 2023, 04:14:02 PM
It's starting to make sense. In the interest of avoiding trouble down the road, some questions to help you sketch out what you're envisioning:

Is THIS cogent: A ferocious rabid dog is attacking you from say ten yards away, running full speed. You point at the dog and a distant mountain, drawing and combining the relevant cards to create a gigantic dog statue about a hundred feet across, scaring the attacking animal away. Then you point at yourself to draw a humanity card and turn the dog statue into a werewolf golem (rock + wolf + human) and have it chase the rabid dog so it doesn't just loop around and bite one of the village children or whatever.

Are the cards physical objects, can they be ripped or torn by someone who knows cards are bad news, or are they like ephemeral soul-constructs no one but the wielder is aware of? Do you have to physically manipulate them in some way or can you do magic while tied up and wearing steel gloves to hold your fingers still? How far away and how long does it to take to draw cards?

Does a card "run out" with use or with time and is there a...I guess, idea of the scale limit? Like I have a card of fire. Does the source of fire matter, IE candle is limited in use and I'm incentivized to make large fires to draw on, or is it immaterial where I draw from? How big a fire can I make under ideal circumstances / how big a rock etc? How does one "draw" your example of static creation, is that just "from any solid object" or do I need to find like a blacksmith? What other kinds of things like "static creation" are there, can I create an abstract "fire of passion" or draw from fire and bread to create toast? How complex of a thing can be drawn from - say I draw from an autojack. Do I get "autojack card" or "metal" or "clockwork" or "mobile creation" or what? Can one thing give different cards?

About (roughly) how many cards can a person "carry" and how do they "discard" them? If you fuse two cards, are you "carrying" both or just one? How many (roughly) cards can be fused into one? Can fused cards be fused again or modified or unfused?

For the record, are you interested or just helping? :)

The first situation, you couldn't make something quite that huge, and the mountain might be too far to draw from.

The cards themselves can't be interacted with by normal people. In theory another returner can be given cards from your library but that's about it. A card doesn't run out of time, but the more cards you store the more energy is in your library. Store too many and bad things happen.

You have to be able to make hand gestures and see your cards to cast. You have to be generally close to draw from an object, and definitely in line of sight. A single fire card has the same amount of power whether is from a candle or a bonfire, but the bonfire may give more of them. Baaic cards like that don't take much power to hold.

One thing can give different kinds of cards depending on what you want to draw. But it's the basic blocks of an item. Like "Water, Container, Metal" from a water botter. Fusing cards can be done multiple times, though eventually it becomes too unstable to add more to it. There's also basic shapes that cam always be taken, such as projectile, sphere, burst, and such. Cards cannot be defused. You can discard them but that's essentially destroying them and releasing the essence harmlessly.  Generally you can only make physical objects or effects from cards.

If I missed anything, let me know! Also if anything needs more or doesn't make sense. :)

Grizzly

Quote from: MyttraDW on May 16, 2023, 04:41:49 PM
For the record, are you interested or just helping? :)

The first situation, you couldn't make something quite that huge, and the mountain might be too far to draw from.

The cards themselves can't be interacted with by normal people. In theory another returner can be given cards from your library but that's about it. A card doesn't run out of time, but the more cards you store the more energy is in your library. Store too many and bad things happen.

You have to be able to make hand gestures and see your cards to cast. You have to be generally close to draw from an object, and definitely in line of sight. A single fire card has the same amount of power whether is from a candle or a bonfire, but the bonfire may give more of them. Baaic cards like that don't take much power to hold.

One thing can give different kinds of cards depending on what you want to draw. But it's the basic blocks of an item. Like "Water, Container, Metal" from a water botter. Fusing cards can be done multiple times, though eventually it becomes too unstable to add more to it. There's also basic shapes that cam always be taken, such as projectile, sphere, burst, and such. Cards cannot be defused. You can discard them but that's essentially destroying them and releasing the essence harmlessly.  Generally you can only make physical objects or effects from cards.

If I missed anything, let me know! Also if anything needs more or doesn't make sense. :)

So each card stores a specific type of energy.  fire, water, electricity, earth, stuff like that?

How do you charge the cards?  Do you need to light a fire and then wave the card over it to absorb the energy of it?
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

MyttraDW

More like an energy, concept, shape, such like that. And once you draw a card you can't change what it is except by fusion

Kissa

Player Name: Kissa
Character Name: Serah
Age at Death: 26
Home Biome: Black Forest
Adaptations: Fox ears and Tail, Enhanced Hearing, Night vision
Appearance Details: Long black hair, golden eyes and fox traits; ears and tail. Unlike in the image, Serah has only pointy ears and no human ears at all. Height 5'5.

Soulbound Equipment/Companions: Biters -Life draining blades* and Cluster of Demonlings**.
Library Elemental/Concept Focus: Dark/Offensive/Summoner

History: Abandoned by her biological family Serah lived in an orphanage till it was her time to go. She led a meaningless life of a drifter, drifting from one place to another, taking orders from others and never finding out who she truly was and what she wanted in life. First she was a homeless, then subordinate in a mafia family and lastly she joined Criminal Rehabilitation Effort program, serving the CCSF till she was murdered to cover up corruption inside the Security Force.

*No sheath. The blade is dull black, only when its used to drain life will it gain faint red glow like in the picture.
**Unlike in the picture, the demonlings are black and some of them have wings.

Grizzly

Quote from: MyttraDW on May 16, 2023, 09:06:21 PM
More like an energy, concept, shape, such like that. And once you draw a card you can't change what it is except by fusion

Not sure that I still understand how it works.  Can you explain it a little more please?

Rajah

Oh, definitely interested! I just like to know where the walls are, so to speak, so I don't end up running headfirst into them.  ;D
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Grizzly

Character Images:
Player Name: Grizzly
Character Name: Electra Logan
Age at Death: 30
Home Biome: Wildlands.  The name for a region where civilization ends and the wilds begin.  A place where beasts and monsters rule and riches can be found for those brave enough to venture in.
Adaptations: Enhanced physical attributes (Strength, Speed, vision), the ability to blend into her surroundings and move silently. 
Appearance Details:  Standing at 5'10" with an Athletic build, Electra is a woman who has lived in the wild.  A wide brimmed hat covers her now shoulder length hair.  Upon her resurrection, her hair changed from red to white.

Soulbound Equipment/Companions: Pair of long barreled pistols, Whip, Tomahawk, Skeets (Multiform convertible Autojack)
Library Elemental/Concept Focus:  Nature/Trickery/Offensive

History:
Electra's people have always watched over the Wildlands, maintaining a balance between the wild and civilization.  Though skilled with a longarm, Electra's preferred weapons are a pair of long barrelled pistols, with which she is impressively skilled and can be an unrepentant showoff of her marksmanship. 

Trouble began when a corrupt business concern sought to exploit the resources of the Wildlands.  Caring little for the delicate balance that Electra's people maintained, they soon came into conflict.  The turning point came when Electra, her younger brother, and childhood friend were betrayed at a meeting of the two parties.  Electra was shot up and could only lie in anguish as her brother and friend were nearly killed.  Electra prayed to the shadowy forest spirits for a chance at avenge the betrayal.

For two years, Electra tracked down each of the members who had been at the meeting and killed them.  She became La Belle Dame Sans Mercy.  Finally, in Central City, she found the head of the organization and in a furious gunfight both were mortally wounded.  Electra died moments after her opponent, thankful to unburden her soul from the darkness that had consumed her in her quest for vengeance.

La Belle Dame face paint
When she was enacting her revenge, Electra often painted her face in the manner of her peoples customs when invoking the power of nature spirits.  It also let her intimidate her opponents.

Skeets
Skeets is a multiform utility Autojack.  It can assume the form of a large quadriped animal form, vaguely resembling a tiger, as well as a winged form that could be likened to an eagle.
It is primarily designed for scouting and transport.