Anyone else having this issue?

Started by DemonessOfDeathValley, April 24, 2023, 07:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemonessOfDeathValley

I didn't know where to turn.

For the last week, I've been having issues with my Hulu, Peacock and HBO Max apps. They all claim my internet connection isn't strong enough. I've tried all the usual trouble shooting ideas. Clearing the cache, data, uninstalling/reinstalling and turing my devices off and on. I've even had my internet company out to the house and we've been given new equipment and the Technicians said there's nothing more they can do. They actually waited while I tried to use the apps in question.

The weird thing is....they only don't work while on WiFi. Only on my phone using Data, they work fine.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having these issues or if someone knew something else that I might could try. Anyway, thank you for reading.

~Approximate response time - 1-7 days plus ~ Muse cooperative~

Greenthorn

Have you tried moving your router? Microwaves and such interfere with wifi. Aside from that, when this happens to me, it usually clears up in a week or so. The techs always say it's not them, but it usually is!

RedPhoenix

Do you have an ethernet cable you can try connecting to something with and see if it works? If it's only wifi then yeah maybe it's the signal?

I wish I could be more helpful, I've had streaming stuff break all sorts of ways but never this one!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 24, 2023, 07:30:27 PM
Have you tried moving your router? Microwaves and such interfere with wifi. Aside from that, when this happens to me, it usually clears up in a week or so. The techs always say it's not them, but it usually is!

Yes, that was one of the things we tried. I hope it clears up soon.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on April 24, 2023, 07:59:08 PM
Do you have an ethernet cable you can try connecting to something with and see if it works? If it's only wifi then yeah maybe it's the signal?

I wish I could be more helpful, I've had streaming stuff break all sorts of ways but never this one!

Unfortunately no, we don't have ethernet. :(

As much as the Techs claimed it wasn't them, I didn't argue because they were going out of their way to prove it wasn't them, but I figure it was.

Greenthorn

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 25, 2023, 01:46:37 AM

Unfortunately no, we don't have ethernet. :(

As much as the Techs claimed it wasn't them, I didn't argue because they were going out of their way to prove it wasn't them, but I figure it was.

Yeah, I would drive myself crazy thinking it was something wrong with my laptop after calling the internet company and restarting the modem and all that crap. It always passed after a few days to a week... always. Mind you, there might be something else, but that has been my experience multiple times.

persephone325

If you haven't tried this, maybe give it a go?

Do a speed test for your internet upload and download. My boyfriend was recently having trouble with his internet and doing stream-like things. He did a speed test and found out that his ISP wasn't actually providing what they claimed they were. He was supposed to have 1G up and down, but was only getting MB.

https://www.speedtest.org/
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

DemonessOfDeathValley

I most definitely think it is the signal. I got Hulu back this evening with WiFi for about an hour and a half. Then of course it went down again.

Quote from: persephone325 on April 25, 2023, 03:54:16 AM
If you haven't tried this, maybe give it a go?

Do a speed test for your internet upload and download. My boyfriend was recently having trouble with his internet and doing stream-like things. He did a speed test and found out that his ISP wasn't actually providing what they claimed they were. He was supposed to have 1G up and down, but was only getting MB.

https://www.speedtest.org/

I will definitely try this. Thank you.

persephone325

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 25, 2023, 08:57:49 PM
I most definitely think it is the signal. I got Hulu back this evening with WiFi for about an hour and a half. Then of course it went down again.

I will definitely try this. Thank you.

I hope something helps! Internet issues can be such a pain in the ass, and then you find out the problem was something simple. >.<
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Vekseid

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 25, 2023, 01:46:37 AM

In your router configuration, there should be an option to set your wireless channels. It may even tell you if one or another is congested.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Vekseid on April 26, 2023, 01:29:58 PM
In your router configuration, there should be an option to set your wireless channels. It may even tell you if one or another is congested.

Where do I find this? Is it on the back of the physical router?

Greenthorn

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 26, 2023, 03:29:06 PM

No, it's online. You can call your internet company and ask or just google. user name is usually admin and password is usually password as defaults. Changing actual settings is ok Veks cause I'm clueless :D

(Only answered with info I had since it wasn't answered yet)

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 26, 2023, 06:33:07 PM

No, it's online. You can call your internet company and ask or just google. user name is usually admin and password is usually password as defaults. Changing actual settings is ok Veks cause I'm clueless :D

(Only answered with info I had since it wasn't answered yet)

Thank you for clarification. :)

Greenthorn

You're welcome.

Make sure you let us know when it magically fixes/you find a fix. Since I've gone through this so much, I'm very curious to see if something works that I always miss and just get lucky, or if it's truly the provider's fault. I'm confident in the latter.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Greenthorn on April 28, 2023, 08:17:11 AM
You're welcome.

Make sure you let us know when it magically fixes/you find a fix. Since I've gone through this so much, I'm very curious to see if something works that I always miss and just get lucky, or if it's truly the provider's fault. I'm confident in the latter.

So far, it's all still down. My Internet company keeps saying "we've done everything on our end". Obviously not! Since my mobile data on my phone allows the effected apps to run fine.... It's such a frustrating situation.

I will definitely give an update when I know something more or when the Services magically come back online.

Greenthorn

If your issue is on a computer, be sure to check for windows updates. I experienced that causing my net to be funky as well... but of course, that's only if it is computer based.

Vekseid

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 26, 2023, 03:29:06 PM

Your router's configuration page is usually located at your gateway address, but might be specified as something else on your module.

In Windows, you can find this by running 'cmd' from the windows menu, and in the shell prompt, type

ipconfig

and press enter.

Browse to your gateway address. It will be an ip address, and you access it like

http://192.168.0.1/

Some routers have their configuration on a separate ip. In this case you will need to look it up online for your router module.

But I am 99% certain your issue is either channel congestion, or something is wrong with your router.

DemonessOfDeathValley

The devices I'm using are a tablet and a phone. My computer has such low memory it won't support any apps. But that's a whole other issue.

Quote from: Vekseid on April 29, 2023, 12:27:41 PM
Your router's configuration page is usually located at your gateway address, but might be specified as something else on your module.

In Windows, you can find this by running 'cmd' from the windows menu, and in the shell prompt, type

ipconfig

and press enter.

Browse to your gateway address. It will be an ip address, and you access it like

http://192.168.0.1/

Some routers have their configuration on a separate ip. In this case you will need to look it up online for your router module.

But I am 99% certain your issue is either channel congestion, or something is wrong with your router.

I will try and look at this. My internet company keeps trying the defense of "we gave you new equipment".

My Uncle (home owner) wondered if the signal issue is a case of the company giving signal to mobile customers before internet customers. I have no idea if that's even a thing.

I just know that it will soon be about two weeks of this crap and I'm beyond frustrated.

RedPhoenix

Oh, are a bunch of other people leeching your wifi? Maybe time to change the password?
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

BlueOrange

When you describe it as a ‘signal issue’, can you explain why you’re using the word ‘signal’?

There are many possible causes for the problem of not being able to watch movies online. Loss of the WiFi signal is a reason that would make sense, and it also would explain why using mobile data (which uses a 4G signal and not a WiFi signal) works. It’s a pretty precise diagnosis.

Why are you convinced it’s a signal issue? Are you getting error messages that include the word ‘signal’?

Vekseid

Quote from: DemonessOfDeathValley on April 30, 2023, 12:23:25 PM
The devices I'm using are a tablet and a phone. My computer has such low memory it won't support any apps. But that's a whole other issue.

I will try and look at this. My internet company keeps trying the defense of "we gave you new equipment".

My Uncle (home owner) wondered if the signal issue is a case of the company giving signal to mobile customers before internet customers. I have no idea if that's even a thing.

I just know that it will soon be about two weeks of this crap and I'm beyond frustrated.

There are a few channels which have both mobile and wireless uses, see here. But again, adjusting your router's channels would be able to fix this were this the case.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Vekseid on April 30, 2023, 03:47:43 PM
There are a few channels which have both mobile and wireless uses, see here. But again, adjusting your router's channels would be able to fix this were this the case.

I fought with my cable company once again today and they continue to tell me that the signal is fine. The Technician I spoke with told me they ran some sort of diagnostic and updated my router. Again, they assured me all was in working order and that the signal on their end was just fine. That the strength was fine. They even claimed the coaxial cable connection was fine.

Full disclosure: I'm a crafter and writer, I can barely work anything electronic. I shudder at the prospect of getting a new device because I know the learning curve will be months long and I'll probably press some button and lock myself out of my keyboard (yes I did that once).

Quote from: RedPhoenix on April 30, 2023, 12:45:15 PM
Oh, are a bunch of other people leeching your wifi? Maybe time to change the password?

I actually don't know. We got a goofy new password when our internet company gave us a new router and modem. We didn't get to choose it. It came ready made on the back of the equipment.

New Development: My Uncle tried the same apps on his phone using WiFi and they all give error messages saying that something went wrong, I'm offline, weak signal strength or connection error. When he went back to Verizon mobile data....suddenly he could use the apps again no problem!

Beguile's Mistress

You should be able to use the provided password and then change it to gain access.  Be sure to use a good password when you choose. 

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 01, 2023, 05:56:32 PM
You should be able to use the provided password and then change it to gain access.  Be sure to use a good password when you choose. 

I'll see if I can figure this out. Thank you.

Greenthorn

Silly question but did you try a hard reset of your router? I mean way way way back, when tech schools taught Dos, our first lesson was always try turning it off and on again.

BlueOrange

Since the error messages are explicitly about signal strength, the problem is most likely to do with the radio waves getting from the router to your devices.

If I’m right, then your devices will be fine when you’re in the same room as the router, and if you have a connection failure, then you can fix it by standing close to the router and waiting for a few moments. You’ll also have less than three bars on the WiFi symbol on your device when you’re having problems.

The first thing to do is to check if my predictions are accurate. If those predictions are accurate, then you have two basic options:
- Buy a WiFi extender, and install it in a room somewhere between the router and the room(s) where your devices don’t work.
- Pay an expert to do a network design for you.