Anyone up to DM Mutants and Masterminds?

Started by Angie, December 15, 2021, 04:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

What it says above. I have a 3e character that I really wanna play, it's a goo girl sort of heroine. I'm looking to use her.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Zeth

You can jump on the band wagon I'm running in another thread.

Angie

Already did!

EDIT: I would appear to be still looking.

Beorning

You can jump back into our thread, we decided to go with a more traditional approach :)

Angie

It has been a while, and the other game previously mentioned did not agree with me. Anyone wanna do M&M?

TFcommando

I'm always up for playing more M&M games!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Muse

I'd be interested to play but my GMing plate is full right now. 

By the way, this is my first post from my desktop computer in my new home.  :)  Just got it set up. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Callie Del Noire

Lynx181

I would be interested as well, as long as we can find a gm who is willing to put up with all of us.

Beorning

Okay, I'm tempted to take a bite and be a GM for a change...

Although... you guys don't want me as a GM. I'm horrible! I'm lazy and inconsistent! I ghost people! And I might turn out to have no story ideas at all! Ack! :(

TFcommando

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2022, 10:33:06 AM
Okay, I'm tempted to take a bite and be a GM for a change...

Although... you guys don't want me as a GM. I'm horrible! I'm lazy and inconsistent! I ghost people! And I might turn out to have no story ideas at all! Ack! :(

I didn’t read anything after “be a GM,” but I’m sure it wasn’t important! 😀

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Lynx181

I agree with commando, im sure you will do fine! Plus im sure some of us can help with plot ideas

TFcommando

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2022, 04:21:53 PM
So, hmmm... did you guys think on what kind of story would you like playing in?

The most straightforward is "A bunch of heroes are gathered by fate/coincidence/a mysterious patron and band together to battle a threat, then stay together as a team."  Alternately, an existing super team might have been wiped out or is working more out of their orbiting satellite HQ, or off in an extended mission in space (see the Young Justice the animated series for how they stage managed the Justice League that way), leaving other heroes in their stead.  The previous team has an existing bunch of enemies, or perhaps each PC has a personal enemy (that each player could design) and they've all banded together Masters of Evil style now that their heroic foes are in a team.

I love the original John Ostrander Suicide Squad (And the second movie, and Peacemaker show), it's mostly street-level characters doing international espionage and intrigue missions that they can't just power their way through.  Picture a Batman type, older and retired from direct action, putting his mind to use on international problems, financing and directing such an operation. 

Another is mixing some of the above with a war story, a villain teams up with an aggressive national leader, or supplants him and invades a neighbor, possibly with robots or giant monsters.  Or giant robot monsters!  The UN/US/EU can't respond directly, but the PCs are part of a "Flying Tigers" style mercenary response, totally local, yessiree, or posing as local heroes or international vigilantes to blunt and push back this effort.  This may be a little too real to play with, given curren events though.

More episodic, the heroes might be jumping from reality to reality, chasing a Maguffin, subject to a weird spell or just lost.  Think Marvel's Exiles or the Excalibur Cross-Time Caper.  Each adventure could take place in a different dimension and genre and the PCs could be gathered from different ones, allowing for more diversity and weirdness than usual. 

And that's going by fairly typical superhero notions, but Mutants and Masterminds can work for a lot of genres that are more flexible, powerful and diverse.  You can make up Naruto, One Piece or Fairy Tail characters quite easily and do a game along those lines.  "Something like One Piece, but with floating islands and airships" is one I've wanted to play in for a while.  Or something like original, pre-DBZ Dragonball, or Ninjago... a mash up genre with super-science, wild martial arts, magic and monsters, but in a modern era. 

Just a few off the top of my head!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Beorning

So... many... options...  :o

Agh! I told you, I'm awful. I can't decide on anything...

TFcommando

Quote from: Beorning on April 15, 2022, 10:51:02 AM
So... many... options...  :o

Agh! I told you, I'm awful. I can't decide on anything...

What sort of superhero comics or storylines have you enjoyed and wanted to emulate?  Or other genres?  And you can just provide a basic framework and see what sort of crazy superheroes the players come up with, then work off of that. Many of them will likely have an interesting origin or background that impacts or defines what the world is like.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Lynx181

Plus most people often think up nice backstories that can be pulled from to give archnemesis and plotpoints for the future

Muse

Indeed. 

Would it be eaiser if you started with a fandom for the setting, Beorning?  Or do you like to build settings?

Most well known superhero worlds have been around so long there's lot's to them.  it can be really intimidating.  On the other hand no one can really juggle it all so it's okay if you leave stuff out.  Heck, marvel once killed the same character three times in three different titles in one season.  ^_^;;

When you build a superhero setting, you can start by asking yourself, "Is there a common origin for all suppers in this setting?"  This can be a lot of fun though it can also restrict other peoples concepts because they might have a different origin in mind.  My friend Silver Lion has one setting where the supers are all descended from one paragon who couldn't keep it in his pants.  :p 

In my version of Eden Universe (Bishrook, Darwishi, and I each have a version) all wizards do magic the same way.  A lot of people are empowered by magical items that were leftover from the destruction of first Babylon, and then later Atlantis by extra dimensional beings who felt threatened by human magic.  But we've also got super science heroes and metahumans (mutants.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Avernale

Quote from: Muse on April 16, 2022, 02:36:31 PM
  Indeed. 

Would it be eaiser if you started with a fandom for the setting, Beorning?  Or do you like to build settings?

Most well known superhero worlds have been around so long there's lot's to them.  it can be really intimidating.  On the other hand no one can really juggle it all so it's okay if you leave stuff out.  Heck, marvel once killed the same character three times in three different titles in one season.  ^_^;;

Wasn't that DC, with Batman?  If I recall, it was Grant Morrison's way of dropping the mic when he left writing the Batman books, and it was such a continuity snarl that it took until Darkest Night to resolve it.

QuoteWhen you build a superhero setting, you can start by asking yourself, "Is there a common origin for all suppers in this setting?"  This can be a lot of fun though it can also restrict other peoples concepts because they might have a different origin in mind.  My friend Silver Lion has one setting where the supers are all descended from one paragon who couldn't keep it in his pants.  :p 

In my version of Eden Universe (Bishrook, Darwishi, and I each have a version) all wizards do magic the same way.  A lot of people are empowered by magical items that were leftover from the destruction of first Babylon, and then later Atlantis by extra dimensional beings who felt threatened by human magic.  But we've also got super science heroes and metahumans (mutants.) 
I have a concept where the super-hero population has been rapidly increasing since World War II because of time travelers either wanting to kill Hitler or save Hitler all converging in the same timeline.  Time got so messed up that the 1940's were effectively erased from history.  There are no consistent memories or records of that time, and time travel can't get you there.  But now there's a massive field of "Phenomena" energy that some people and technology can tap into.  You can gain powers via genetics, training, or tech, but it all comes from the same place.

Muse

*Smiles*  Not bat man i was talking about. Marvel actually got a hard time for it because it was one of their few gay characters at the time. 

Now that sounds like an awesome setting. 

Tagan

I’m currently running one.  Does that count?

I might be willing to take 1-3 more people?

TFcommando

Quote from: Tagan on April 20, 2022, 07:04:48 PM
I’m currently running one.  Does that count?

I might be willing to take 1-3 more people?

Sure!  Is there an intro/premise thread?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Tagan

It’s a sort of slice of life meets Supers entering the local Crime scene.  (Supercrooks that is.)

Still in it’s beginning stages, with intros being carried out, and the first couple of encounters leading to more happing/happened.

Modern era.

Beorning

So, it's a supervillains game? Hmmmmm :)

When it comes to me potentially GMing... still thinking on it :) I see two potential options how to approach it:

1. I could have the players simply come up with their own characters (with just the bare decided by me beforehand) and see where it takes us...

2. I could also come up with the setting details, themes, mood etc. on my own (like, say, "A story about gritty heroes in a dark, gothic city") and ask you to create character that match these...

Not sure what's the better approach?

Tagan

Uh.  No, a Superhero game.

That’s the setting.  Not the characters.

And I’m really tired today.

I can put up a link if anyone wants to look.  Not to join… I’m a very picky person.  But to look and see if they want to be part of.

I’d review their characters and posting background before accepting a few.