looking for a 2nd Edition AD&D game

Started by insaneplots, November 26, 2010, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneplots

I tried searching but to no avail.

I've been craving to play some of my first RPG AD&D 2nd Edition.

I said play not run, While I am a DM i do occasionally want to be the one to play.

Are there any games running here. The ones on RPOL are either full or dead.

MasterMischief

3.5 and Pathfinder is the largest majority I have seen in these parts.  And, as I understand it, most games fall apart.  Good luck.

insaneplots

Bleh online 3.5; I have my reasons for not liking 3.5. Most of them have to do with spineless DM's and power mongering players that want to prove how badass they were. while I was trying to play a good character they were duplicating the same stats from their last character. Playing the same thing over and over. One even had the balls to say he wanted the hand of Vecna at first level.

Pathfinder I hold no grudge towards as I have never played it.

MasterMischief

Sounds like problem players...not problems inherent with the system.  Not that I am really standing up for 3.5.  I hate all incarnations of D&D.  Class based systems are just too restrictive.

insaneplots

Sadly it was those players and the GM not standing up to them and saying no that ruined that for me. I have dabbled in the system from time to time. but if I want to play ungodly powerful 1st level characters I'll play rifts.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: insaneplots on November 26, 2010, 10:38:44 PM
Sadly it was those players and the GM not standing up to them and saying no that ruined that for me. I have dabbled in the system from time to time. but if I want to play ungodly powerful 1st level characters I'll play rifts.
Why do you blame the game when said GM wasn't even following its rules? He shouldn't give them powerful artefacts at 1st level, according to D&D3.5, and it looks unfair to blame the game for what amounts to his or her houserules.
Funny enough, just as MasterMischief, I'm not interested in class and level games, so I don't really care what you think of D&D3.5, but that's still a case of bad GMing, which can ruin any game.

Here is the most recent thread about AD&D 2e that I've been able to find. There aren't many threads in the last couple of years, but you might be able to contact some of the people that showed interest via PMs, and maybe one would be interested to run the game for you.

As I said above, I wouldn't be interested, but I can wish you good luck setting the kind of game you'd like ;)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Muse

I was on my way to bed, but please let me bounce in here and say how much i would adore a chance to play second edition. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

Ditto ...

Its been awhile though but could get back into the game.

lorcan

It has been a while for me to id like to get in on this

RubySlippers

To keep players form doing the same old sorts of characters they might normally run, why not require they rolling IN ORDER Strength to Cha 4d6 dropping the lowest stat then swap two around if you want. For survival sake I would make Con what is rolled or 11 whichever is higher to, a low Con is crippling for any character that is supposed to be a hero.

Then if you don't qualify for a class to bad some should be hard to be like Paladins anyway.

lorcan

Hmm well that always makes things more interesting and i have done that method in games past and is how some of my favorite characters were made.

RubySlippers

Anyway you CAN be a mage with an Int ,say, 10 - 12 you just loaqd up after a point on lower level spells than your peers.  ;)

insaneplots

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on November 27, 2010, 09:26:37 AM
Why do you blame the game when said GM wasn't even following its rules? He shouldn't give them powerful artefacts at 1st level, according to D&D3.5, and it looks unfair to blame the game for what amounts to his or her houserules.
Funny enough, just as MasterMischief, I'm not interested in class and level games, so I don't really care what you think of D&D3.5, but that's still a case of bad GMing, which can ruin any game.

It didn't completely make me not want to play 3.5; As I still play from time to time. There were a lot of changes to the system that also turn me to not wanting to play the game. I just have grown more accustom to 2nd as it was the one i got started one and know the most besides I already bought all the books for 2nd and I just don't want to put the energy and funds into playing 3.5.

Besides the best way to deal with power hungry characters is to really mess with them. The hand of vecna character has one major flaw misinformation. This is where the head of Vecna (anti-munchkin) quest comes in.

Muse

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 27, 2010, 11:51:54 AM
To keep players form doing the same old sorts of characters they might normally run, why not require they rolling IN ORDER Strength to Cha 4d6 dropping the lowest stat then swap two around if you want. For survival sake I would make Con what is rolled or 11 whichever is higher to, a low Con is crippling for any character that is supposed to be a hero.

Then if you don't qualify for a class to bad some should be hard to be like Paladins anyway.

It would be very sad if, playing 2nd edition for the first time in years, I couldn't play at least one of the concepts i wanted to play. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

insaneplots

I've done the Roll your stats and then pick what you play by them. Rifts actually has for certain characters specific attribute rolls for certain stats Elves for example the PB (physical beauty) requires one roll set. Where their PS (physical strength) is a completely different roll. But this is also the game where it doesn't matter how much HP/ MDc/ SDC you have cause your just as Squishy as everything else. It's your gear and how you use your abilities that can make you a powerhouse.

RubySlippers

Muse I had a GM not allow subclasses and I wanted to play a bard so I ran a Mage/Thief that had strong performing proficiencies calling her a bard as in the profession of. If you can't be ,say, a Paladin then there are options a non-human (half-elf ?)  or a dual-class human Cleric/Fighter that REALLY wants to be one but didn't make the cut so tries to act the part.

Use the stats you get and decide how to make it fit an idea you like even if its not perfect you can usually get close.

lorcan

So who will be willing to stand up and take  the illustrious role of Dungeon Master.

insaneplots

Im looking to be a player for a while. Perhaps I may create a game but for me it's a long detailed process that involves not only writing the story behind the campaign but creating the maps in a mapping program I use. That takes more time that anything else. It's been a year and Im still on and off mapping level one of Dragon Mountain.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: insaneplots on November 27, 2010, 12:44:02 PM
It didn't completely make me not want to play 3.5; As I still play from time to time. There were a lot of changes to the system that also turn me to not wanting to play the game. I just have grown more accustom to 2nd as it was the one i got started one and know the most besides I already bought all the books for 2nd and I just don't want to put the energy and funds into playing 3.5.

Besides the best way to deal with power hungry characters is to really mess with them. The hand of vecna character has one major flaw misinformation. This is where the head of Vecna (anti-munchkin) quest comes in.
Fair enough, I considered the changes to be improvements, but you can't please everybody equally with the same product, right?
Messing with the power-hungry is an option, as is using the greed for power to drive the game, but personally, I find a "you can't play that in this game" to be an underestimated option ;).
Anyway, since you're now getting more interest, I'll just bow out and let you discuss setting up your game.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Sarat

So, Muse came to me about running a game for ya'll. I could do it. I will do it in fact, but, I need to clarify some things first.

I fully agree with rolling your stats in order. Thats how I did it when I first started playing, thats how we'll do it. 4d6 7 times, drop lowest roll, drop lowest dice, reroll ones. Roll 3 sets, and pick one.

I will houserule much of the game. I tell you to roll some dice, I dont have to tell you what it's for. You can guess, or ask, or anything, but I reserve the right to not tell you. Important houserules will be posted down the line, as needed, or requested.

Do not get attached to your characters early on. I won't out and kill you for no reason, but if you do somthing stupid, I wont pull punches. 2nd edition was tough, and I aim to keep it that way.

I like to keep things farily simple, with classes, and kits and all that. Sorry Muse, no Psionics. Don't worry about level limits, and most class/race restrictions will be lifted....IF you can give me a good reason why. Case in point, I had a player run a Spriggan warrior, because he came up with a damn good reason why it could work.

Umm....if that doesn't scare you off, then leme know and we'll get it set up.

RubySlippers

Sounds .... great!

Are you using proficiencies? Otherwise I plan to keep it basic.

Sarat

Eh, no. I thought about it, and no. No proficiencies. I'll work out some kind of traininng needed for particular weapons or whatnot, but no proficiencies. If you can convince me you can do something, then you can. Mostly.

Muse

*sighes* 

Good lord this is going too feel generic.  :P 

Muse

Quote from: Muse on November 29, 2010, 08:40:13 PM
*sighes* 

Good lord this is going too feel generic.  :P

*chuckles* 

Doesn't mean I don't wnat to play, mind you! 

insaneplots

No Profs, Hmm this really limits what I was going for character wise but so be magic using Character it is.

RubySlippers

Another question do fighters get weapon specialization> I will note they don't get more than beating things up unlike other classes and is just for ,er, straight fighters. I might recommend letting each fighter if just a fighter get one weapon specialized they like.

As for stats I would suggest this since its simpler roll in order 4d6 drop the lowest die re-rolling 1's and give 5 points to place anywhere to the racial maximums. Its easy and I for one don't want to roll lots of sets and it will allow a little player tweaking without being to generous unless one rolls very well.

insaneplots

All this talk has put me in the story writing mood I'm gonna start looking for some details of a half completed Campaign or two of mine. maybe I should dust off my DM cap finally.

insaneplots

So digging threw some of my old Campaigns I found one that might work. I do intend to play in your game Sarat. It's been too long since I got to play a game and I'm not gonna pass up that. I just caught the Dming Bug again.
I made this one back just out of High-school so it's almost ten years old. but the maps are going to have to be redone with my software.

Story for my campaign
In the fortress town of Dew Mountain's drop locals are fearful of leaving their homes at night late night wanders have begun to vanish. most have been wayfarer and merchants this hasn't effected trade as the city is on a main trade route. Your all fairly established adventurers in the fortress for your own reasons. be it the rumors of the vanishings or just passing threw. Will you leave the town as it is or take part in the goings on?

Player Details
All core races/subraces are allowed but you need to give me a reason for the more odd ones (drow for example)
Psionics use the Psionics handbook only no exception's (and I will only allow the playing of ONE if you prove with a first character of another class)
Characters are established lightly meaning 16,000 EXP this put most players at 5th level save the mages who are fairly close to leveling up and one minor magical item (nothing with pluses higher then +2)
Kits are approved on a case by case situation.
sarats roll method has been one I use with a few changes 4D6 7 times, Drop the lowest. re-rolls 1's Once (if you get them again tough luck) one set Arrange to taste; no min maxing stats. (you get a 6 and a 18, you keep the 6 and the 18)

the more detail about your character the better. Obviously I haven't got a set land for this game. so making it up on the fly will earn you some extra credit. For example the village you grew up in will be added in the world map if you play a wizard your master tower will be somewhere in the world and the wizard themselves an NPC not likely to be used but he or she will be there.

Mages
Common spell components are assumed to be on hand, any items with a one time or high price must be purchased and kept track of.
Spells must be memorized to fill slots. However The amount of time will only be 2 rounds per spell level to speed up morning preparations. Once a spell is cast you must rest 8 hours to memorize a spell to fill the slot.
Starting spells are 1d20 in spell levels.

Priests Need not memorize spells but they must have knowledge of the spell to cast it. for this reason you will have a list of spells you may cast from your spheres (I leave the starting spells for you to request.)

Thieves
Gain one special skill when using Daggers and only daggers they may duel wield with no penalty. With any other weapon normal rules apply.

Fighters
May specialize in as many weapons they wish however they can only go above specialization with one weapon. No broad group proficiencies.

Players option and class book NWP's are allowed if you read them closely they have a Slot cost as well as a CP cost. as are traits and the Combat and tactics special talents.
One thing I did like about 3.5 was the introduction of the increase in Ability scores however since 2ND ed has such a limits stat system players may increase one stat by 1 every 6Th level. Any stat increase is Retroactive (if your Con stat is increased and you gain another Hit point due to it add it as if it was like that from the beginning. Race limits in stats may be exceeded at double the cost (an elf with a 19 Dex must reach level 12 to increase their Dex to 20)

use this site to record your character and send me the link in a private message Leave out your magical item from the sheet and you can request.  http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php

Kaizen

I am interested in playing, but I am relitively ignorant of D&D rules.

I played two or three short campaigns about a decade ago... I have no knowledge of the different editions or advanced classes.  I ran a campaign, but I was the creative side, I had someone help me with the rules, and for the most part I just winged everything.

I would be interested in playing a dwarf fighter, cleric, or wizard (in that order) if you would have an ignorant player that wants to learn and you wouldn't mind explaining things as the game unfolded.

Muse

I can help you out a bit, Kaizen. 

Sarat, were you looking ata first level? 

Sarat

Yep, it'd be first level. Roll HP. =P

And, ah.... RubySlippers, you could just roll one set instead of 3? I dont like giving points leeway like that, sorry.

As for Kaizen, most of the rules interpretations will be on my part. You tell me what you want to do, and I tell you if you did it, or fell on your face. Mostly.

Sarat

Oh, heh missed something. Sorry. Yes, any fighter class will get one weapon to choose that they use more than others, and will get bonuses with as they progress in thier career.

Also...

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=90552.0 This is the game OOC thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=90551.0 Game thread, but no posts here yet plox.

insaneplots

Just a curious Question to those interested in my game How many of you have RPtools?

It's a mapping software that was originally developed for 3.5 players but i've been able to run 2nd ed games on it as well. It really helps to get a feel for the dungeons and locations the players are in from simple color coded line maps to full out detailed maps with props and all.

Kaizen

I don't have it, but I checked it out and I could use it if needed.

GMs - How are things going?  Still interested, busy for the holidays, or has motivation just plain fizzled out?

Muse