News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

I've got a Trojan, help!!!

Started by Torch, November 17, 2011, 07:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

And no, it's not a condom.  ::)

I've got a damn trojan on my laptop: Win32/Sefnit.CB

I use ESET Smart Security, and every time I run a scan on the operating memory, it finds the file, but won't delete or clean it, all I get is an error message.

Can anyone help? Is my laptop doomed?
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

jouzinka

Where is it? You may be able to delete it manually (as you would be able to if it were in Temporary Internet Files or Temp...)

Any chance you could reinstall the system?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Torch

I'm....not sure where it is. I know it's somewhere in the OS Memory, because that's where ESET does the scan, but as for exactly where, I have no idea.

I've never reinstalled an OS before, so I'm a bit leery of going that route. I'm afraid of screwing it up.  :P
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

jouzinka

When Eset performs the check, it should show you the route to the file. It would look like...

C:\\Documents and settings/Torch/Local/Temporary Internet Files/005DH49G16/imatrojan.ini

Or -something- to that effect with different names to the directories and files. If you could copy it and write it, it would answer the question where it is and whether it can be deleted or if the system's infested and therefore needs to be reinstalled.

You can run the check manually. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Torch

Ahh, okay, I see what you mean.  :-)

I'll run the scan again and see what it says. Hopefully I can get rid of this thing without having to take it into a shop. Bleh.

On's and Off's

Autumn Sativus

I'd give it a full scan with MBAM and CCleaner as well to pick up fragment files and malwares that it could be hiding in.

You may need to rename these programs to random things in order for them to work. Some viruses are smart like that.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Missy

I don't know how to get rid of things like that, but I can tell you I've always used Norton Internet Security and it's amazing! I would suggest it to anyone, it's truly an extraordinary program. If I could install Norton into my brain, I would surf the internet with my mind.

Tidaldrake

If the virus hiding out in one of your system files so the other can't remove it while its running I recommend downloading TDSSKiller. It a root kit scanner, it helped me get rid of a Trojan that got hidden in my SVChost file.