Wiki Updates (Announcement)

Started by Vandren, March 17, 2009, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kye

Quote from: Vandren on August 01, 2012, 02:15:01 PM
Which doesn't answer my question, e.g. "How is this (fixing tag formatting or Category names--which are both standardized, public content--but not touching content--which is personal) a personal space issue?"

Since it obviously wouldn't be an issue for you it's not exactly easy to explain.  If someone edited a post of mine because of a spelling error I wouldn't appreciate it. Tell me it's there and I'll edit it myself.  I would think it's the same kind of thing with the wiki. Boundaries are different for everyone.

Vandren

Quote from: Kyrsa on August 01, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
Since it obviously wouldn't be an issue for you it's not exactly easy to explain.  If someone edited a post of mine because of a spelling error I wouldn't appreciate it. Tell me it's there and I'll edit it myself.  I would think it's the same kind of thing with the wiki. Boundaries are different for everyone.

But, it's not a spelling error as such.  It's a system formatting error (e.g. public content). 

We're not talking about going in and changing personal info like: "he writes non-fiction on the prfessinal level with some dabbling in fiction." to "he writes non-fiction on the professional level with some dabbling in fiction."  (Personal content, which I would have issues with someone changing)

We're talking fixing a minor system, "code", error like [[Category:Member Pics] to [[Category:MemberPics]].  (Public system content, which is not personal in any way, shape, or form; e.g. basic system maintenance to keep things functioning properly)

Just for note, I'm not trying to be argumentative or asinine, I'm trying to understand.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Trieste

Because, in my experience, it's not seen as "just a systematic alteration", it's seen as "altering my page that I spent hours formatting". In this case, that feeling is compounded by the sense of 'just another user' coming along and doing it instead of an official wikimin.

It may not always make sense to everyone, but it takes all kinds to form a community, and all that.

Valerian

Also, on a purely practical level, informing people of such formatting errors -- politely, of course -- rather than just going in and fixing them yourself might be a more efficient way of handling them in the long run.  If one particular person is making lots of the same type of formatting mistakes, for instance, you're better off making sure that person knows how to do things correctly in the future.  If the mistakes are simple typos, then a gentle word might help them remember to type a little more slowly in future when working on code-related things, where typing isn't so intuitive.  Otherwise you could find yourself spending hours correcting the same sorts of mistakes over and over, made by the same people.  Better to share the knowledge, etc.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Wistful Dream

A question. I have been making more pages linked to story pages as purely supplement material. I was wondering where it would make sense to tag a supplement category, Elliquiy category or genre or something else.. neither quiet seems to fit but I can't tag some of my pages really as anything other then 'supplementary material' or something similar.

Pages contain things like character quick lists, setting info, etc.

Michael Corvus

How often are images marked to be deleted purged from the wiki?
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

Oreo

They aren't, unless they violate E rules for images, or exceed 3 personal pictures of yourself.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Neroon

Images that are in category: delete are purged roughly every two weeks depending on wikimin availability.  Indeed, category: delete has just been purged today.

Other images are only deleted if they break the rules Oreo described.  Occasionally, they may be moved from one category to another, if they have been miscategorized, the most common reason for which being mistyping.

Hope that's clearer.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Sasha

I got lost ..... imagine that . Smiles ..

So do we have to move an existing wiki catagory ? Or are all current ones linked to E transferred over ? Please explain if I need to do something . Well ...Secretwritter needs to do something for me . Lets be real ...I only know enough to update a character sheet .

Too bad you can't tag people in the forum .

Sasha

DonnaSalmer

I can't find the link to click for my Wiki with the new look? It used to be in the upper right corner?

Revelation

Quote from: DonnaSalmer on October 27, 2023, 11:03:41 AMI can't find the link to click for my Wiki with the new look? It used to be in the upper right corner?
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Elluiki

Does that link work for you?

DonnaSalmer

Yes it does thank you. Is there a toggle or button somewhere on the home page to get to it?