News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Yeah Escalation Of Force.

Its better to have Spidey, daredevil, hell even the Punisher, handle those thugs rather than sending in Thor or Dr. Strange when they would be better off fighting more cosmic threats.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 09, 2016, 04:55:03 PM
Yeah Escalation Of Force.

Its better to have Spidey, daredevil, hell even the Punisher, handle those thugs rather than sending in Thor or Dr. Strange when they would be better off fighting more cosmic threats.

You've also got to have fallback heroes when the A-Team fails. Sure, Spidey is a step up from Daredevil and the Punisher, but when the likes of Thor fail to stand against a threat, the webhead will be plan B (even if he's even more outmatched.) They seemed to start out with their best foot forward in the MCU and only later in its evolution did it start bringing in the lower-tier folks. Just really hoping they'll cross paths in a meaningful way before the end of Phase 3.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Yeah, but keep in mind that Spidey (especially poor Ultimate Parker) regularly takes on (by himself) the second largest rogues gallery this side of Batman. :P

I think that's why the world loves Spider-Man. I mean he's genuinely done things that have put the Avengers to shame.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 09, 2016, 09:07:53 PM
Yeah, but keep in mind that Spidey (especially poor Ultimate Parker) regularly takes on (by himself) the second largest rogues gallery this side of Batman. :P

I think that's why the world loves Spider-Man. I mean he's genuinely done things that have put the Avengers to shame.

For me, it's this: After the Lizard collapses a sewer tunnel on him, underneath a train station no less, and Spidey has to lift the whole fucking thing to escape, otherwise he knows the Lizard is walking into a deathtrap and he has to save him because in spite of their animosity, the Lizard is still his friend Curt Connors inside. He even declares, neither Thor nor the Hulk could perform this feat, and yet...

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

Yah but Spidy gets shot in the head, he is dead.
Thor gets shot in the head, he will be vaguely annoyed
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 10, 2016, 09:48:22 AM
Yah but Spidy gets shot in the head, he is dead.
Thor gets shot in the head, he will be vaguely annoyed

Whatevs. You know nobody really dies in these movies. Except Quicksilver, apparently.

Just bought Deadpool. It was actually $5 cheaper instead of the usual $3. So happy. Just popped it in the player and watched the opening sequence again where everything is frozen and it pans through the upside-down car. I never saw that Deadpool was actually poking one of the guys in the eyes a la the Three Stooges the first time I saw it in theaters. This is going to be so much more fun now that I can pause it. Speaking of which, here's a treat for everybody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

And it looks like the first signs of change are showing for the DCEU. Some of their slate has been pushed back by a month (it is assumed to be the Green Lantern Corps movie) and evidently, an 'event' film is being added to the slate. Now whether that means something like BvS or Justice League or something else, I can't tell, but it doesn't sound like a generic solo film.

SapphireStar

It looks like the possible villain for the Justice League movie is confirmed as Steppenwolf. And, as such it is described that the character is a "blank slate" for Synder to craft and mold the character. Blank Slate? Really? The character has been part of the DC universe since he is part of Apokolips and Darkseid's army. It's like saying that Granny Goodness is a blank slate for Synder to work with or, Catwoman. Robin. Nightwing, etc.

Far eyes

Well whats the worse that could happen...     oh its burning isent it... *Sigh*
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 12, 2016, 12:23:48 PM
It looks like the possible villain for the Justice League movie is confirmed as Steppenwolf. And, as such it is described that the character is a "blank slate" for Synder to craft and mold the character. Blank Slate? Really? The character has been part of the DC universe since he is part of Apokolips and Darkseid's army. It's like saying that Granny Goodness is a blank slate for Synder to work with or, Catwoman. Robin. Nightwing, etc.

Well, as someone who knows nothing about the comics version, this is based solely on what I've seen on the Superman/Justice League animated series: Steppenwolf didn't even seem like he was in the top tier of Darkseid's minions. I mean, Kalibak gave Superman a run for his money purely strength and stamina-wise, Steppenwolf was more of a battle commander who just brought multitudes of underlings to do most of his dirty work, and what little fighting he did himself was with weaponry powered by Apokolips technology which, if destroyed or knocked out of his reach, he's pretty much fucked, at least by someone at Superman's level (and by that logic, anyone else besides Flash, Batman and any other non-super-strength member of the Justice League). That's just my observation, I could be totally wrong, but if Steppenwolf alone will be the villain of JL part 1, it might not be such a bad idea to beef him up a bit. But honestly, they should throw in Kalibak, Desaad, Granny Goodness, the Female Furies and the Parademons. Without Superman (if they're saving him til part 2) and the powerhouses like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, I'd say Steppenwolf (if powered up via creative license), Granny Goodness and the Female Furies would be very formidable for the combined forces of Bats, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Maybe also Desaad, if he's as big a coward as I've been led to believe. Kalibak would have to probably wait til the second part, as a Darkseid-Lite before the real deal.

mia h

Well Steppenwolf is still one of Kirby's New Gods, so by default is an immortal bad ass. Also in his current incarnation he killed both Wonder Woman and Superman of Earth-2. As for BvS\JL, in the extra leaked footage, Steppenwolf is supposedly the creature Lex was talking to when he was playing with the Motherboxes.

Oh and it's official Supergirl is moving over to the CW for season 2.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 12, 2016, 05:20:36 PM
Well Steppenwolf is still one of Kirby's New Gods, so by default is an immortal bad ass. Also in his current incarnation he killed both Wonder Woman and Superman of Earth-2. As for BvS\JL, in the extra leaked footage, Steppenwolf is supposedly the creature Lex was talking to when he was playing with the Motherboxes.

Oh and it's official Supergirl is moving over to the CW for season 2.

The CW now? Probably going to have a lot more crossover with Flash, then. That can only help!

SapphireStar

According to reports, since DC has done the reboot with the New 52 (which will be going through another change soon), they effectively rewrote a vast majority of characters, while dropping others. In the original DC Earth, they pretty much killed off all the New Gods, like Big Barda (who was a former Female Fury). In this version for the movie, they said Steppenwolf is based on the New 52 version who is Darkseid's uncle. In the movie, Steppenwolf leads a massive army to earth, which they said is based on the "Knightmare" Batman had with all the Parademons, etc.

After the steady drop in ratings and budgetary problems, I'm surprised they even renewed Supergirl. Didn't they establish that the Supergirl world is in another different Earth? In the Supergirl episode where The Flash appears, they state that he is from an alternate universe brought there by the power boost from the tachyon device. If they brought Supergirl into the Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow universe it would effectively "jump the shark".  Though, seriously hoping they bring in Kevin Smith to write/direct on Arrow, then things might turn around.

And, not surprised, Marvel's Most Wanted is once again DOA at ABC.

Far eyes

I cant be bothered to be even interested in Justice League right now, not unless there are some massive indications that its not going to get Snydered

A/A

SapphireStar

Agent Carter is officially cancelled as Hayley Atwell is starring in a new drama on ABC.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 12, 2016, 07:59:59 PM
Agent Carter is officially cancelled as Hayley Atwell is starring in a new drama on ABC.

I'm surprised it even got a second season. She had to be free to go on to bigger and better things. Surprised she's sticking with TV stuff, though.

I'm not liking some of what I'm hearing about the New 52. I don't like having to learn an entirely new continuity (especially when the one I'm familiar with is so awesome, I'd have a hard time believing it can be topped.)

And no surprise about Most Wanted, just plain bad timing, underwhelming concept, and really, Bobbi and Hunter belong with SHIELD, there's just no better place for them.

The episode of Supergirl (or the clips I saw on youtube) with the Flash cameo made me think that, without his presence there, I'd find the show to be vastly inferior style-wise to Arrow or Flash (in terms of makeup and costumes for some of the villains) and just a lot of the dialogue and what goes on to be extremely cheesy. Anyone else get that impression or was it just that one episode being especially campy? Or is that the objective and they're doing it on purpose?

SapphireStar

In the New 52, Lex Luthor is part of the Justice League. I wish they would go back to the original DC universe.

The whole Supergirl season has felt rather campy. Kara seems to giggle more then any character. Supergirl has had to basically be saved every episode by someone like her sister, or the shadowy form of her cousin, etc. The storytelling has been light, and everyone seems to be going through the motions. I don't get a sense of chemsitry between characters like you do on The Flash. I'm surprised it was renewed.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 12, 2016, 08:38:35 PM
In the New 52, Lex Luthor is part of the Justice League. I wish they would go back to the original DC universe.

The whole Supergirl season has felt rather campy. Kara seems to giggle more then any character. Supergirl has had to basically be saved every episode by someone like her sister, or the shadowy form of her cousin, etc. The storytelling has been light, and everyone seems to be going through the motions. I don't get a sense of chemsitry between characters like you do on The Flash. I'm surprised it was renewed.

I did get the campy vibe from the trailers (and yes, it was mainly because of the giggling). But someone told me to give it a chance, and now I'm not inclined to. You'd think with how well they're doing on the other shows, they could get it right with one more. Or maybe it's being dumbed down so younger people will feel it's more accessible? Surely Arrow and, perhaps, even Flash are a bit too dark for younger viewers.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 12, 2016, 07:52:17 PM
After the steady drop in ratings and budgetary problems, I'm surprised they even renewed Supergirl. Didn't they establish that the Supergirl world is in another different Earth? In the Supergirl episode where The Flash appears, they state that he is from an alternate universe brought there by the power boost from the tachyon device. If they brought Supergirl into the Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow universe it would effectively "jump the shark".  Though, seriously hoping they bring in Kevin Smith to write/direct on Arrow, then things might turn around.
Supergirl moving networks doesn't mean they are bringing the show into the Arrow-verse full time. I can see that having on the same network would make scheduling crossover episodes with Flash\LoT easier but they don't have to have a shared history.
Although I agree that certain parts of the cast didn't exactly gel together, there is plenty of potential still. Melissa Benoist is Kara, she absolutely killed in every episode (even if the material wasn't always great), Calista Flockheart was perfect as Cat Grant "the person everyone loves to hate" not forgetting Chyler Leigh who had real chemistry with Melissa. Now if Mechad Brooks ' Jimmy Olsen gets permanently reassigned to Siberia, I won't lose any sleep.

Quote from: Mathim on May 12, 2016, 08:22:35 PM
I'm not liking some of what I'm hearing about the New 52. I don't like having to learn an entirely new continuity (especially when the one I'm familiar with is so awesome, I'd have a hard time believing it can be topped.)
So I you must have hated House of M and the whole All New, All Different Marvel must have made your head explode  ::)
But I guess it's hard to make nuanced judgements when you wear "Marvel Good, DC Bad" blinders all the time.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 13, 2016, 03:57:07 AM
Supergirl moving networks doesn't mean they are bringing the show into the Arrow-verse full time. I can see that having on the same network would make scheduling crossover episodes with Flash\LoT easier but they don't have to have a shared history.
Although I agree that certain parts of the cast didn't exactly gel together, there is plenty of potential still. Melissa Benoist is Kara, she absolutely killed in every episode (even if the material wasn't always great), Calista Flockheart was perfect as Cat Grant "the person everyone loves to hate" not forgetting Chyler Leigh who had real chemistry with Melissa. Now if Mechad Brooks ' Jimmy Olsen gets permanently reassigned to Siberia, I won't lose any sleep.

So I you must have hated House of M and the whole All New, All Different Marvel must have made your head explode  ::)
But I guess it's hard to make nuanced judgements when you wear "Marvel Good, DC Bad" blinders all the time.

I'd have to have read them to hate it. And I'm getting tired of these personal attacks, this is like the fourth or fifth time already. DC does make a lot of big fuck-ups but make no mistake, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are among the best comic book films of all time. Even the first Batman was stellar and I actually found enough to laugh about in Batman Forever to enjoy it. And you must have been among the droves who told me to shut up about how much I hate Iron Man 3, and while I'm in the minority, I also hated Jessica Jones with a fiery passion. So think about that next time you decide to tell someone they're wearing those blinders.

Thanks to how bad Fant4stic was, most of us can see from a mile away how badly a studio is going to fuck up a movie when they make a transparently bad decision and that it's inevitably going to snowball out of control. The fact that WB has decided to copy Marvel's film franchise formula but omitted the key ingredients of solo films for all the main characters before their first ensemble? That's a huge mistake we could see the bad results of coming from far off and lo and behold, people didn't like the end product and it failed to reach the expected 1 billion at the box office. Same with Man of Steel's lukewarm reception not convincing them to change; the dark tone alienated almost half the general audience and instead of rethinking this approach, they plowed ahead with not only the same director, but the same joyless dark tone and again, audiences resoundingly disapproved, in much greater numbers this time. Much as we hate how stupid the corporate d-bags are for failing to understand the public's love of these figures, we still love those characters themselves who have been portrayed very well in both the comics and many of the animated adaptations. We want those heads that are firmly lodged up anuses to be extricated and to learn how to do better. The current course is a fatal error that's going to be extremely lucky to be able to continue. If they're going to emulate Marvel, then for heaven's sake, do it whole hog or forget about it. No one's going to fault them any more at this point for appointing a Kevin Feige-esque overseer who knows the material, makes good decisions about the ultimate direction the universe is heading, and ensures the right crew gets involved in production. And hey, while they're at it, make some TV shows that actually integrate into the DCEU. The other ones are doing well, surely connecting at least one to a larger continuity couldn't hurt.

Hell, they could even copy the Fox universe and do a Lobo solo film as a response to Deadpool. It would be like...Deadpool in space!

SapphireStar

The move is the first step. They will find a way to integrate Supergirl into the Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow universe. Not the first time a show was "rebooted" in their second season. The only two actresses who have portrayed Kara/Supergirl close to the comic book incarnation are Helen Slater who brought a sort of vulnerablability to the character while still being strong. Though the Supergirl movie was a bit on the campy side, it is still enjoyable to watch. And, Laura Vanderoot, her character was based more off the Supergirl from the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. The Smallville Supergirl was strong, independent and kicked butt.

The new Supergirl show displays vastly differing characteristics. While in costume she flies right into her apartment in broad daylight. Someone is going to notice. Almost every episode she needs saved at the end by her sister and allies. I just feel on whole the writing and acting is rather flat. Some of the cast look like they would rather be somewhere else. With the problems they were having, it is a surprise that it was renewed.

On the Marvel side, Dolph Lundgren has expressed interest in joining Deadpool 2 as Cable.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on May 13, 2016, 08:13:54 AM
I'd have to have read them to hate it.
So let's see you don't dislike what Marvel comics have done with their reboots because you haven't read them.

Quote from: Mathim on May 12, 2016, 08:22:35 PM
I'm not liking some of what I'm hearing about the New 52.....
But DC's New 52 reboot that happened 5 years ago, which you apparently haven't read any of because you're only hearing about it, that you do dislike at some level.

So two distinct entities perform the same action, you have no problem with one entity performing that action but as for the other one... well that's a whole other story.

Far eyes

Yah no idea, i watched the initial few episodes of Super Girl and wanted to like it but Jesus chricky dos that show not work. It feels less like its about a superhero and more like its about a lost girl. I mean a superhero with problems can be interesting but... you know they actually have to feel like they are trying.

A/A

SapphireStar

The show feels more like a teen romantic comedy with superpowers.

I seriously am hoping they bring Kevin Smith on board to do more Flash episodes and sign him on to do Arrow. Have him take over for Berlanti. Arrow has been on a downward spiral this season. This is the worst season by far.

Lustful Bride

Im starting to get into Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) so im just hoping they don't ruin her tale. @_@

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 13, 2016, 02:29:31 PM
So let's see you don't dislike what Marvel comics have done with their reboots because you haven't read them.
But DC's New 52 reboot that happened 5 years ago, which you apparently haven't read any of because you're only hearing about it, that you do dislike at some level.

So two distinct entities perform the same action, you have no problem with one entity performing that action but as for the other one... well that's a whole other story.

What I heard that I disliked is that the New 52 are completely cut off from any and all old continuities. At least with things like Ultimate Marvel, they're somewhat connected to other things, like how Ultimate Fantastic Four (before it got canned) ran afoul of the Marvel Zombies universe and the zombie versions of themselves. Without the option to at least visit older continuities or even acknowledge their existence, that just doesn't sound like a good idea for such a long-running thing. That's what I heard, though, if I'm wrong I'd be happy to hear whether or not that's actually the case. I mean, to me that's like how after season 4 of Doctor Who, they just kind of pretended none of the previous events or characters were of much significance, and that really irked me til they started paying lip-service to it later, too little too late in my opinion. So what I gathered about what the New 52 was that they were saying, "Let's pretend all the old comics never existed." Again, I could be wrong, if that was inaccurately reported to me. I don't know that Marvel is doing anything comparable to that but I hadn't heard one way or another, just that things are changing.

And holy shitsnacks, it looks like the Human Torch has not let Fant4stic ruin his chances of comic book film fame, as Michael B. Jordan joins the cast of Black Panther as an as of yet unknown role.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59828927?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2494921022&pf_rd_r=19AWCFQBF7CZH1K901H0&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp1