Mecha Mashup Interest Check! (REBOOT)

Started by Outlaw Fallen, January 20, 2014, 01:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaw Fallen

Welcome To The Guard!

Actually, this is just an interest check at the moment... but thanks for stopping by anyways.

So my plate is pretty full at the moment, but in the next few months (unless a couple of current partners have actually disappeared, in which case this dateline will move up) I plan on starting a mech-based game. I've got details worked out that I believe will satisfy a good number of potential players. Bear in mind that these are rather loose ideas right now and subject to change based on the initial interest people show in the game. The idea of this game is to maintain a true free form and not infringe on the players' creativity. Whether you create your own mech/unit/device/frame/armor/whatever you want to call it, or use a more canon-based form is up to you. Inspiration for your mech's fuselage, body, technology and armament can come from anywhere... Escaflowne, Code Geass, Zone of the Enders, Armored Core, Gundam, White Knight Chronicles... anywhere. The devil, as always, is in the details, but don't feel as though you have to become bogged down with them. If you are a lover of detail like me, then you know that your details may save your butt in a tight situation.

Up front, I do not care what manner of species your pilot is or how powerful they are within reason. Mechs are the driving force of this game, and will be considered powerful enough to take on anything outside of another mech, with the possible exception of those mass produced models that we'll all be blowing and cutting to smithereens. I would also like to see the interesting ideas you guys come up with for these mechs histories and method of summoning, etc... I guess I should go ahead and give a basic idea of the setup while I'm at this...

The demon uprising wiped out much of humanity and began a new era in which creatures of the ethereal/paranormal/supernatural kind ruled the world and humans are a much rarer sight than they once were. The Kingdom and The Empire (more to come on these, but you will see why their names are rather generic as I explain) are the only two real powers anymore, and have been at war for ages. The Empire was established after the human world had been brought to its knees, and tyranny went hand-in-hand with genocide and enslavement. A rebellion grew within the Empire against the harsh hand of its rule, and after so many joined its ranks, a completely new order was formed based on the ideologies of freedom and equality. Thus, the Kingdom was born and stood as the only real threat to the Empire. There are four main groups one should be concerned with in this game; The Royal Guard, The Wolf Pack, The Imperial Vanguard, and The Order of the Requiem.

The Royal Guard is the Queen's elite guard, charged with staying by her side and protecting her. They are the Kingdom's only true knights, and only the best and most virtuous pilots make it to these ranks. In a sense, they are the Kingdom's secret service. At the head of the Guard are The Four Horsemen (I already have npc's set aside for their roles, but will open all but one of them for others to play if anyone shows interest). The Wolf Pack; the elite aces that have risen through the ranks of the Kingdom's army, whether by impeccable tactics and skills, or a mech that has been modified to simply put them above the rest. There is quite a bit of rivalry between the Guard and the Pack in that some among the Guard regards the pack as grunts and ruffians for their no-hold-barred tactics. Those in the Guard who see the Pack this way have forgotten where they come from, as there are almost none in the Guard who were not first Wolves. The rivalry that comes from the Pack is in those that either know they will never be able to be a part of the Guard, or who have tried and failed. I should note here that unless specified, your character is your mech's designer and mechanic (I don't discourage having a mechanic/pilot pairing of characters, but it is more for you to keep up with if you are playing both parts).

The Imperial Vanguard is the Emperor's version of the Guard, but set up like the Knights of the Round from Code Geass in that there is a ranking system and the top member of the Vanguard is the Emperor's personal champion (wow, before writing that down, I didn't realize how much of a rip from CG it was by design xD). The Vanguard is more exclusive than the Guard and therefor has less members. The Order, as you might have guessed, is the same sort of group as the Pack. There is much more dissonance between the Order and the Vanguard just by nature of the ambition and ego characteristic of soldiers of the empire, which makes it less likely that they will work together on the battlefield.

I need to put a caveat on the Guard and the Vanguard in that, until there are enough players, I will not open them for play. Also, once they are open for play, I will take a look at the character and mech you have designed, as well as your play style in order to determine if you can play the position appropriately/responsibly. I will also have a spot for a co-gm. Because of the nature of the position and requirement for longevity and responsibility, I will take a very careful look at the history of anyone applying for the position to include but not limited to; post frequency, post length, number of posts since you joined, number and frequency of absences (this is where it will be good to have an up-to-date a/a page), grammar, literacy, writing style, game history, and especially your enthusiasm for this game. I'd like to think this could be a large group one day, but can accept that this is a rather niche-specific game, though I have tried to keep it rather open to attract a larger crowd. My co-gm will also create and play the Emperor along with any other characters they make.

So, whether you fancy an armored core, orbital frame, knightmare, ancient knight's armor, or have always wanted to play the Lancelot Albion... or even wanted to take elements of all of these and make your own mech, get creating and I will announce when I actually plan to open the game and provide a link! Whether you want to be a grunt aspiring to join the Wolf Pack, or a member of the Order vying to find your place in the Vanguard, or a haggard veteran simply trying to stay alive until you can retire from the Guard and tired of the games the younger knights play is all up to you, and you will find your place in this world. Give me your thoughts and feedback, and I look forward to creating another universe with you guys.

~Fallen

UPDATE
I am pleased to announce that the OOC and Character Directory threads are opened now. Feel free to read a little further into this thread to see some of the lines I drew with questions that initially came up, which might save you having to ask. Otherwise, if you are interested or aren't entirely sure, swing by the OOC thread and get to know our community and how we play. We look forward to welcoming new members into our ranks.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

SargentToughie

I'm so heavily down for this that words can't even describe it. Mecha is awesome, and it seems like you're super enthusiastic about it. Since it's only an interest check, there's really not too much more to say about it, and you've answered just about every question I had in your opening post, so...

+1
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

Haha, I gotta say after reading through your pages, Toughie, that you are the exact sort of player that I figured would be first to jump on this sort of opportunity. Admittedly, I'm not holding my breath for a huge turnout, but I do have my hopes. I thought of a few more details that I thought I should add while the interest check was still up to answer anymore questions players might have.

First and foremost I believe is that while I emphasized attention to detail for your mech, I do not plan for, nor do I desire this game to revolve around combat. More than anything I want to see the lives of these pilots develop and grow with the game. I have some plot twists and ideas planned, but I want to see players developing independent stories, scandals, and even the dysfunctional relationships that might grow from characters of opposing forces, whether they are a love-hate thing, outright enmity, or even a forbidden fraternization.

I would also like to address the four main groups that I outlined. Now, providing that the game does grow and eventually become a large, thriving group, I will gladly open the floor to different groups, teams, squads, wings, cells, whatever you want to call your group. Secondly, and this is a question I anticipate coming up if I do not answer it, is that just because your character is not in a higher tier group does not mean they cannot hold their own or even defeat another character from a higher tier. It is a given that such a mantle is awarded through skill and conquest, but its like that saying I'm sure we have all heard at one point... no matter how good you are at something, there is always someone better than you out there. This is the reason for the review I have already talked about for those that wish to have a character in a higher tier group.

Which brings me to my next point; characters. As of right now, I don't care how many characters anyone has, so long as you are capable of creating enjoyable game play with those your characters are entangled with. I forgot to mention in my last paragraph about inter-faction groups, but for the time being I will allow the pairing of wing-mates between pilots, as I am sure there will be those that desire some standardized grouping. Also, I cannot and will not abide exclusive cliques to be developed, and that is probably the first stern rule of this game. If I see it, or it is brought to my attention, I will put an immediate stop to it and will not hesitate to contact staff about the blatant disregard for E rules if it continues. There is a difference between two or more individual characters grouping up together and players excluding others. I expect anyone playing to have taken this portion of E to heart having been accepted as a part of the community, but I also know that despite how great the system for weeding out the troublemakers is, there will be those that get through. Now, where was I... well, I don't remember, but in case anyone is wondering; while I may have a character set aside in the Guard, she and the others will be npc'ed until I have opened the Guard and Vanguard to everyone. I see this as only fair since I'm restricting everyone else. My main character is going to be a member of the Pack.
I will come reformed

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Lagrange

Brilliant. I haven't even set up my profile properly yet, but I had to stop by and say you have another player here. I've been looking for a good mecha game for a while, and this one hits all the right notes.

Major Major

I might be interested in joining this; any word on when and where this is set?

Outlaw Fallen

As far as time goes, definitely postmodern. The way I see it, the fall of mankind was something of a crash in technology advancements. However, the rise of the new world was one where the supernatural was predominant, so when the advancement of technology continued, the use of energies and substances that was previously unknown to the world created the same sort of boom that the development of the atomic bomb and nuclear fusion did. I also imagine that the conflict between the two powers has gone on long enough that the war torn areas are the only ones with any real devastation. The rest of the world has long since recovered, and buildings are of a futuristic design, and super structures stand tall. In their respective lands, the populace thrives with the exception of the occasional successful invasion. Basically, the two powers have divided the whole of the world into two with the empire having lost some ground to the kingdom... enough that the territory is not far from evenly divided, yet the empire still holds more.

This is where the gray area begins that I am not set in and would like to see what the players think. As far as the where goes, I'm not committed to an earth-based setting, but I do believe it could be as successful as anything else. And it does make me think about what difference it would really make in the long run. Given the scale of the two powers, I believe the actual places would be vague with the exception of setting details and perhaps identifiable locations if it were an earth setting (ie, the kingdom's capital being set in what was once britain... or something to that effect). Anyways, I want to see what others think on this issue, and maybe I see it as less of an issue than others might.

Back to the technology issue. I wanted to say that because of the ongoing war, I think the line would be drawn at orbital travel with the plateau being developing a navy for the sky. I believe each power might have low orbit aircraft and even some defense satellites, but without sufficient advancements, neither can make these assets crippling because there are countermeasures against them. Probably getting a little too intense with detail here, but I'm trying to give you an idea. If they weren't so focused on fighting each other, moving into space would not be an issue. Make sense?

I hope I satisfactorily answered at least one of your questions, Major.
I will come reformed

Silk

I'm all the way in on this as well, bookmarked so I don't forget xD

Batman4560

Not gonna lie. I like Mecha games. Ill be at the very least watching this but I am interested.

Wheresmycow

I'm going to admit to a certain fascination at the idea of a mercenary who's mech combat capabilities is directly involved on what songs he sings while he pilots it and how passionately and loudly he does so.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Wheresmycow on January 24, 2014, 01:25:36 PM
I'm going to admit to a certain fascination at the idea of a mercenary who's mech combat capabilities is directly involved on what songs he sings while he pilots it and how passionately and loudly he does so.

No... fscking... way... don't even joke about something like that... unless you are capable of delivering, don't you dare titillate us with something so potentially entertaining...

Also, if you screw it up, I will kill you... >.> no running jokes *eyes narrow*
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 24, 2014, 03:27:40 PM
No... fscking... way... don't even joke about something like that... unless you are capable of delivering, don't you dare titillate us with something so potentially entertaining...

Also, if you screw it up, I will kill you... >.> no running jokes *eyes narrow*
This is what inspired the idea.  Though I'm not entirely certain I could deliver.  Not without collecting a solid music library first.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

I'll have to check it out later. My phone doesn't want to play the video. I do believe that it is one of those things that could be awesome if properly executed or just completely awful. It would definitely take a certain skill level to pull it off.
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

Yea, a lot of skill.  More than likely, the character wouldn't be singing all the time.  There'd be a base level of ability, and the mech would grow stronger as the pilot's fighting spirit grows.  After a certain point, the pilot starts singing, and the mech seems to resonate with it.  That'd be more manageable.

But this is all just musings.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Silk

Deciding which sort of group I would be interested in going with, they're all so appealing xD

Silk

Ok I got a concept, I'll throw it your way later. once it's fleshed

Iblis121

Oh man. Just when I started rewatching Mobile Suit Gundam...I'm so in this.

rustytiger

So game for this, though I have never tried mech before.
I'm slowly coming back after years long hiatus. Still going through all the new rules and updates so I'm sorry if I mess up.

Ons & Offs
Absences
Idea Thread

Batman4560

Ill be going with something from the realm of Gun X Sword.

Dorian Grandale

Heyas, Outlaw Fallen.

Ye olde BattleTech/MechWarrior fan right here. Your info is like one of my dreams made explanation. I cannot do much at the moment, but I'll be watching the living stuffing out of this. If i get more writing time, I'm all in for this.
"There ain't no sunshine when I'm low, how I'm low.
People tell me life's a game, I'm not playing.
Bitches don't mean shit to me, anymore.
I have taken my blows, I'm still standing.."

Iblis121

Quote from: rustytiger on January 25, 2014, 09:54:30 PM
So game for this, though I have never tried mech before.

I've never tried a mech roleplay, either. I just love em'. A lot.

Quote from: Dorian Grandale on January 25, 2014, 10:33:31 PM
Heyas, Outlaw Fallen.

Ye olde BattleTech/MechWarrior fan right here. Your info is like one of my dreams made explanation. I cannot do much at the moment, but I'll be watching the living stuffing out of this. If i get more writing time, I'm all in for this.

MechWarrior, huh? Wow. That's some vintage mech right there lol I respect it, though. Until that F2P reboot came out, you barely heard about those Battle Mechs anywhere.

Outlaw Fallen

I hope you guys don't go conservative on your mech designs because I'm building a frame from hell. I have to say, I am so excited to see the growing interest in this game. The idea sorta popped in my head after the last time I watched Code Geass, and grew as an alternate reality for my characters as most plots do. It will be interesting to see how your characters affect Fallen and make him deviate from what I've imagined would happen in this scenario. You guys will see at least three of my key characters in different parts, though their roles and relation to Fallen will be entirely different from actuality. So stoked...

I guess I should clarify that there is not a whole lot off-limits in the way of abilities and armament. I don't expect your design to have an achilles' heel, but where munitions can be exhausted, and I expect more powerful energy-based weapons and abilities to exact heavy tolls on fuel/energy reserves. I will also say that I will allow shifting/teleporting, but again... not something a mech can do all day unless that is its specific design, in which case something else must be sacrificed. Flight will probably be the only ability that I dont put a cap on as far as time limit, etc. The question came up, and I don't mind if your mech has automated computer sequencing or a self-aware computer. Like I said, get creative. If you guys want an idea about my mech, well... the best way I can describe it will be elements from multiple influences. A well-rounded machine relying on no one form of combat and made more for speed and maneuverability than tanking... made to be devastating up clos because it will rely mostly on energy shielding, but primarily multi-role in design. I don't want to give away too much, though. It wouldn't be a surprise, then.

And mech warrior... wow, there's a blast from the past. Looking at games like armored core today, I can't believe mech warrior was ever a thing. But hey, that's technology for you. I do hope you are able to join us at some point, Dorian Grandale.
I will come reformed

Silk

I'm just thinking of it as a sort of "Point allocation" stat line like in DnD. So the more points you invest in a single area, the less overall points there are to go around in the remaining stats, or have a particular other stat that is decidedly weak to compensate.

kckolbe

Quote from: Silk on January 26, 2014, 05:34:43 AM
I'm just thinking of it as a sort of "Point allocation" stat line like in DnD. So the more points you invest in a single area, the less overall points there are to go around in the remaining stats, or have a particular other stat that is decidedly weak to compensate.

I would like to see something along these lines.    Still just lurking though.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Outlaw Fallen

I hate to do this, because I'm sure I will lose a few people here... but I have to say that I will in no way endorse points, dice, or anything along those lines. I said in the beginning that this was to be a true free form, and I meant that in every sense. I expect and will demand fair and responsible play from all parties, but I am not going to limit anyone by placing them within the confines of a points system. If that is something you want out of this game, then I am sorry, and will hate to see you go. Rule of thumb here is if you can't take a debilitating hit, then do not expect to land one.

As I said from the start, I do not desire the game to revolve around combat, but it is the nature of the beast so there will more than likely be a lot of it. I plan on at least one of my characters dying, and another losing a mech, and that's just for plot purposes. Who knows what else I will come up with when I start collaborating with those that do stick around. Winning here is not about any sort of prestige or saying that you/your character/your mech are better than anyone else, so if that is your idea of a fun game, you know where the door is... this game is about creating an action-packed story filled with all sorts of juicy IC drama, not a stage for posturing and egos. It is nothing for the most illiterate, unimaginative writer to create a perfect character and just wipe everything into oblivion with the sweep of a hand. I'm sure all of us have seen these characters in one or more forms over the years. The challenge is creating something real... something that all of us can get sucked into. But, hey... that's just my opinion. As GM, it is the opinion that drives the spirit of this game, so I ask; will you rise to this challenge?

This is in no way directed at just you, Silk and kckolbe, but to anyone who might have had the wrong idea about this game. I hope that no one did, but stranger things have happened. I would hate to see this thing die before it even gets started, however, I respect all of your decisions no matter which way the chips fall.
I will come reformed

kckolbe

No worries.  I may have misinterpreted what you meant by being saved by details.  I will bow out.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread