A dance with rogues... (fantasy rpg idea)

Started by schnookums, February 23, 2008, 11:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnookums

Okay, this is another in my long line of odd ideas, although this one is tamer then most (well tamer then most of MY ideas)

A princess watches as her kingdom slowly falls to invaders...they used to be allies of this kingdom until they realized just how much military might they possessed...despite the valiant efforts, within six months the kingdom had fallen. With the home guard desperately trying to buy time for the royal family to escape, all seemed lost.

But for the princess it was not to be...spirited away by a master of stealth, she was stolen from the grip of an enemy that was slaughtering everyone. She was one of the few survivors that night, the only royal survivor of a kingdom that was now in the hands of a brutal enemy.

Taken back to a safehouse, the old master of thieves took pity on her....hiding her in the kitchens of his tavern that he uses as a front, she's made to work there, to preserve her secrecy and her life. Perhaps luckily she wasn't spoiled, and was smart enough to realize that this was what she needed to do to survive...

Until six months had passed. Now she was getting bored, and chafing under the restrictions placed upon her. She had taken to sneaking out, and had finally gotten caught. Brought before the master thief, he realized that despite the danger it might be best to allow her freedom....moreso, that the princess had some natural talent, and might serve the family as well. She had no love for the occupiers of her fair city, and a skilled rogue could do much damage. So he offers her a chance...to go about in the city, meeting up with his agents to learn the various aspects of thievery and the like, both socially and physically. Learning all the tricks of the trade. If she could pass the lessons, she would be trusted to walk outside freely, a full member of the guild.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy...the occupiers were not only strict but puritanical as well. The people were allowed reluctantly to return to their lives under the new regime, but certain areas were firmly squelched, such as any erotic trades like prostitution. So for certain segments of the population like the dockworkers and sailors, things were building to a fever pitch. It would be under these tense conditions that the princess would be sent out into the town to learn what she can. Would she survive while still carrying the vestiges of her innocent upbringing?

(Okay, that was quite longwinded, but I hope it gives a good idea of what I'm looking for. I've left some things up in the air...I'm kinda thinking this a 'sandbox' sort of game rather then a linear one, which I understand is a little tougher to run. Obviously I'm looking to play the princess and all. I''ll admit that I like certain ideas, like the princess being forced by opportunity to sell herself to some desperate sailors or the like, but I'm pretty flexable. This being a fantasy setting, I'd guess the game would probably have a good chance of going NCEF/S depending on who runs it, but even if it goes Exotic I'd like for such scenes to be the spice rather then the main course, if you know what I mean. Of course details would be discussed with whomever runs this. I can go either system (D&D) or freeform with this, system does offer a nice level of random chances for success or failure but I can understand people not liking system.)

Thanks for reading through this! Some of you might recognize the basic ideas from the Neverwinter Nights fan module "A dance with rogues".

Inerrant Lust

I played that module, actually... I can't remember any of the finer points (I've forgotten the two nation's names...and the city's name, too...) but I do remember feeling that Vico's unpunished crimes were a travesty, and were he not relatively important to the plot, I would have gutted him. :P

I'm not too big a fan of reenacting the actual module, though. I don't like to mess with established stories and timelines, it feels less believable and ultimately, harder to roleplay, but the concept is doable.

I'd be inclined to GM it with D&D most of the time, since there would be alot of sneaking and/or fighting involved, which would have a chance of success/failure using the system to make it interesting. (I find it boring to always decide whether you succed or not)

However, I'd freeform anything that doesn't really require a set of rules. (In that module, I totally cheated and made my character have mega stats/skills/feats just so I could get all the conversation options/sexiness options that required a certain skill/something.) Although, I'd still roll for random chance of disease from the sailors.  :P

And... I'm still a noob to this site, so.. Eaaagh. >_< Nervous.