Shindo Supremacy--planning for Kingdom Supremacy has begun

Started by Jezabelle, September 05, 2017, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zahard

Quote from: Jezabelle on September 11, 2017, 05:06:23 PM
Pregame diplo allowed/encouraged, Roleplay wise consider it your pre-existing grudges and dispositions towards one another pre-Death of the Emperor.  Game Year Zer0 is literally gonna be the year after the Emperor dies and the ensuing chaos.

Best dramatic voice "And so it begins..."

Edit: Also, hey, is there any chance we can get an example as to how a Negotiation would flow?

FollonStars

Quote from: Jezabelle on September 11, 2017, 05:06:23 PM
Pregame diplo allowed/encouraged, Roleplay wise consider it your pre-existing grudges and dispositions towards one another pre-Death of the Emperor.  Game Year Zer0 is literally gonna be the year after the Emperor dies and the ensuing chaos.
Does this include alliances, or should we hold off until year Zer0?

Jezabelle

Quote from: FollonStars on September 11, 2017, 05:19:38 PM
Does this include alliances, or should we hold off until year Zer0?

I'd say you already know how you feel about the major leader of every great Clan.  If you're friends or closely ideologically aligned then it may be natural that you'd ally with one another and even have some (un)spoken agreement that "if everything goes to shit, we'll pull through this together."

The important thing to remember is that none will be codified through the Negotiation action and thus going back on them won't incur dishonour.  Just wanted to nip that in the bud.  If someone pre-game establishes a NAP then backstabs, it'll have no effect on their Prestige--others players' degree of trust in them?  Oh absolutely.  But not their Prestige score.

FollonStars

Was there a certain image you had for the Krai Folk? Considering you created them, I wouldn't want to unintentionally stray from the image you had for them.

Jezabelle

Quote from: Zahard on September 11, 2017, 05:13:03 PM
Best dramatic voice "And so it begins..."

Edit: Also, hey, is there any chance we can get an example as to how a Negotiation would flow?

Sure.

I bring acceptance of up to 5yrs of treaty, 5 metal, and a territory with a rice paddie to the table.
You bring acceptance of up to 4yrs of treaty, a prisoner of from some other Clan, a territory with a castle, and 3 metal.

We both decide worth-our-while items are available, otherwise this would be cancelled without any repercussions (other than wasted actions to set up the negotiation).  We probably talked about this ahead of time so as not to waste one another's time, but one of us threw in something extra or didn't give as much as maybe expected.  In our scenario let's say I wasn't expecting the prisoner and you weren't expecting the territory with the farm.

1. Us -> 4 yrs of Treaty (we cannot exceed the maximum allowed in treaty years by either side)
2. You -> Me, Castle Territory
3. You -> Me, Prisoner
4. Me -> You, Farm Territory
5. Me -> You, up to 5 Metal
6. You -> Me, up to 3 Metal

Now our negotiators roll their Etiquette 6 times, the GM (me) has assigned priority so all they've gotta do is roll--I'll handle the comparatives and the like.  If they have relevant items they may tap them and specify which item they're being tapped for.  That'll give one extra dice roll.

Items I win will be red, items you win will be blue.

1. You (20) Tea Set Tapped Me (13)
2.  You (6) Me (8) Geisha Fan Tapped
3.  You (16) Me (6)
4.  You (15) Me (17)
5.  You (6) Me (15)
6. You (12) Me (15)

Your negotiator (it may or may not be you personally) and my negotiator (same dealio) decide what they'll offer the other based off of what they now control.

Your side decides to forward both the items it controls (1 and 3, 4yrs of NAP treaty and the prisoner).  This is because they think getting the prisoner will make my side more generous and maybe my negotiator says as much in a PM or in-RP.  Don't mean shit, the actual official item decisions are PM'd to me.

My side, for its part, demands that sweet sweet metal and the castle territory.  We're not feeling like being generous with our metal, and we really like our farm territory.  Presumably we know the major purpose of this Negotiation is to secure the NAP treaty and we think you'll take it on the strength of more or less that alone.  What's more, you could withhold the prisoner from us, we don't know--you control that item.

These are PM'd to the GM, and the GM puts together the final Agreement and posts it. 

Our agreement turns out like this:

Clan Jez and Clan Zahard agree to four years of mutual non-aggression.  Neither may invade nor raid one another's territory without incurring dishonour.  Clan Zahard transfers control of the indicated territory (Castle Territory) to Clan Jez , transfers stewardship of (Prisoner Name Here) to Clan Jez to deal with as they will, and gives Clan Jez 3 Metal.

Both sides have to agree to take it or not.  Any side that disagrees takes -10.  If one side disagrees and the other doesn't, it doesn't go through, but the side that agreed doesn't take -10 Prestige. 

Walking away from these high-profile agreements is bad, so even if both of you don't accept if y'all still get the -10 Prestige.  I know that seems hefty but regulating the exchange of items between Clans is necessary for a whole slew of game-y reasons--additionally, history is full of shitty treaties people accepted anyway/that came down to diplomatic skills, you just don't see that in games with free trade nearly as much.

Jezabelle

Quote from: FollonStars on September 11, 2017, 05:51:02 PM
Was there a certain image you had for the Krai Folk? Considering you created them, I wouldn't want to unintentionally stray from the image you had for them.

They're a mix of Ainu and Eastern European.  Faeries here take the form of nature spirits so an affinity for talismans\effigies/etc of animals, especially foxes\wolves\owls, makes sense too.

You're allowed a wide range of freedom but they're generally Caucasian\"White" in appearance, although there are exceptions.  Aesthetically they're again, Eastern European\Northern Asian/Ainu.  Some degree of acculturation from the Shindo is to be expected so if they're dressed like a samurai that makes perfect sense.

Mostly the Yunar Exiles and Krai Folk exist to give an out to those seeking to play non-Japanese-y characters, they also served as good example Clans to showcase how the sheet worked\what a finished one looked like. 

Zahard

I can see how this'll work out in-game, then. This is for when you want large, binding agreements because the prestige penalty would be large. If it's an agreement not done this way, there's not much of a guarantee that it'll hold up. It also gives an incentive for people communicating before actually sitting down "publicly" at the real negotiating table (essentially, discussing through back channels until the real thing can be generated). The only way both parties will get to the negotiating table is if they both have something to gain by it.

I like. I'll probably end up using this a few times in-game.

Also, to any people eyeing a General spot, Clan Oshiro is definitely recruiting and is probably going to be a decent flashpoint in this game -- interesting early, and interesting for as long as it's around. Also, Midori is a benevolent and beautiful queen with twice the ego of Daenarys... Fun times are to be had.

Silk

Well I'm just finishing up my concept with Jezz, however her loyalty is open for debate at the moment, watch this space <3

Zahard

Something just occurred to me; for battle, a character can be in only one battle per turn. What about Negotiations?

Jezabelle

Quote from: Zahard on September 11, 2017, 09:02:51 PM
Something just occurred to me; for battle, a character can be in only one battle per turn. What about Negotiations?

Considering they have to travel to a physical location and do lots of pleasantries I imagine the same could apply, although I'll allow battle+negotiation for utility's sake.

Zahard

Cool.

I'm excited for the characters that will be filling up the rosters from here on. I think this game is going to be a lot of fun when it gets rolling. It's scratching that Legend of the Five Rings itch I have.

Vonandi

A rivalry huh? Now I really want to get this started. The I don't feel like the Aka ka would take a rivalry with a  bunch of piddling rice-farmers very seriously, but perhaps that arrogance will be their downfall.
Also made some final edits, it seems like the link I used timed out anyway.

Metraxa

Quote from: Vonandi on September 12, 2017, 07:01:40 PM
A rivalry huh? Now I really want to get this started. The I don't feel like the Aka ka would take a rivalry with a  bunch of piddling rice-farmers very seriously, but perhaps that arrogance will be their downfall.

Rice farmers versus the hole diggers. the Hachisu find it amusing overall.

FollonStars

Would one clan, who has temples, be able to bless another aligned clan, if the other has no temples or shrines of their own?

Jezabelle

Quote from: FollonStars on September 12, 2017, 07:22:17 PM
Would one clan, who has temples, be able to bless another aligned clan, if the other has no temples or shrines of their own?

Yes, you can target any valid location\force with the Temples.  So the Krai Folk rituals can and in some senses are meant to be used on other peoples' forces\areas, it's a bargaining chip in their favour.

Zahard

Quote from: Vonandi on September 12, 2017, 07:01:40 PMThe[n again] I don't feel like the Aka ka would take a rivalry with a  bunch of piddling rice-farmers very seriously,
Quote from: Metraxa on September 12, 2017, 07:17:30 PM
Rice farmers versus the hole diggers. the Hachisu find it amusing overall.

**Scheming intensifies**

Jezabelle

Yuppers.  For the moment though, as we await ~5 more players, we're gonna want to evangelize.  Passively via sigs or actively via talking to friends you kno(w)ould be interested (only people you're already talking to and actually think would be interested, though I may kid we shouldn't actually engage in shill-vertising). 

Assuming it's this time next week and we're still about this short on players I think we'll go ahead with largely 1-leader states.  Everyone will be equally impaired, I might buff actions to three\turn to compensate.

Silk

Should have mine done by this evening, just been preoccupied with a camping holiday this weekend. :)

Silk

Yep, I'll be sitting with the Krai folk to start with, although she is a whimsical soul and might be prone to wander.

Zahard

Can't wait to see your character Silk. Hopefully Lazarus will post up one too, like he said earlier in the thread. :O

Silk

Name: Miho Nanami
Sexuality (IC): Bi-curious
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): All acceptable.
Physical Description:
At peace

Personal History:Miho is an abomination that happens when those who are not part of the Krai folk's heritage are fostered within the strange magics of their shrines and domains, her parents were originally converts to the way of the Krai people before she was born. However the fae magics warped her during pregnancy and onward, the magics claiming her young form, infusing her with the wild magics that surround the domains. Forever marked as different by the Krai populace due to her Shindo heritage, and by the Shindo populace as a warning to what the Fae magics meant to them. However she attempts to understand both sides, but with the upcoming war, even a quiet nature loving soul like her's seeks to learn how to defend the lands she has come to love. Despite this however, she remains a prodigy in the ritual arts, perhaps due to her close ties, despite the fact that she attempts to hide them from those who do not understand her "gift"

Culture: Krai Folk
Ethnicity: Shindo

(you may have up to 5 stars in each skill, you begin with 7 stars to spend across the three as you see fit--you may have zero stars in a skill)
Etiquette: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Bureaucracy: ⭐
Warfare: ⭐⭐

Growth Stars:  ⭐⭐ (you use these to increase stats at the end of the year if your Clan has the right building)

Inventory:  Lucky Beads [Tapped 0/2]

Zahard

Sweet. She may be part of the Krai, but is her opinion fond of the Oshiro clan? :P

Silk

It's gonna be more about the clans opinion of her, part of the deal I struck with Jezz was that although she's mildly anthropomorphic, it's not generally considered a good thing and she tries to hide it. :) But she is liable to wander around to be of assistance to those as a sort of ambassador of the Krai people. :)

Faeli

Quote from: Silk on September 13, 2017, 03:11:47 PM
She is liable to wander around to be of assistance to those as a sort of ambassador of the Krai people. :)
Phah!  Must be awful nice to spend yer life idly wandering about growin' fat off the unfair taxes ye and yer ilk be forcin' on us noble farmsmen!  Well NO MORE!  We'll not be slaving away in... slavery... no more!

... I feel like I should have practiced this more... eh, no matter.  RIVERVALLEY BANDITS YARR!  ((Can I yarr?  Do I have to be on a boat to yarr?))