[POKEMON] Semi-Realistic Pokemon RP. [8/8 Slots] FULL

Started by Acid, April 13, 2012, 07:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acid

6/8 slots filled. Would like 2 more.

I Wanna Be The Very Best

In a world corrupted by greed, Trainers from around the world still hold one relic from the past dear - catching and training Pokemon. Unfortunately, due to Team Rocket's criminal activities, even this age-old tradition is in risk of disappearing. 

Set 26 years after Ash Ketchum and his longtime Rival Gary Oak journeyed on their quest to be the very best, Trainers still view the practice of capturing and training Pokemon as both tradition and a teenager's rite of passage. Due to technological advancement, Trainers typically start their foray into Pokemon in Fuchsia City or Vermilion City, if they are situated within the Kanto region. Alternatively, they begin in Cianwood City or Azalea Town if they are from Johto.

After the Kanto government declared Team Rocket enemies of the state, Team Rocket moved their headquarters into Johto and began plotting numerous schemes involving financial fraud and violence using and directed at Pokemon. However, approximately 8 years ago, Team Rocket began the corporate buyout and eventual takeover of Silph Co., the largest and most prominent manufacturer of Pokemon-related technology in the world. Although their crime is concentrated more so in Johto, Team Rocket's reach through Silph Co. in Kanto is ever-present.

In what would eventually be dubbed as The Pokemon Purge, Team Rocket, using their newly-established connections and influence within Silph Co., managed to steal thousands of Pokemon from unsuspecting Trainers and citizens alike. Pokemarts all over Johto and Kanto began selling Silph Co.'s new product: Champion Pokeballs - cheap to produce, extremely cheap to purchase and guaranteed to catch virtually any Pokemon without having to go through that inconvenient process of weakening the Pokemon first and then trying to catch it and hoping for success. For all intents and purposes, Team Rocket made Master Balls accessible to the average Joe. But there was a defect with the Champion Pokeballs; they would occasionally lock-up and Trainers would be unable to summon their Pokemon. Once members of the Elite 4 and various Gym Leaders were unable to recall their Pokemon, news of the defective Champion Pokeballs spread like wildfire. Under the guise of Silph Co., Team Rocket ordered a complete recall of every Champion Pokeball ever sold.

Trainers, Gym Leaders and virtually everyone within the two regions scrambled to the Silph Co. headquarters, stationed in both Goldenrod City and Cinnabar Island. The company promised they would correct the manufacturing issue and Trainers would be reunited with their Pokemon once said issue was resolved. The defective Champion Pokeballs were Team Rocket's true intention; they were now in possession of thousands of high-leveled and rare Pokemon. Team Rocket held the entire world by the throat.

[Suspension of Disbelief]

0.] Pokeballs are EXTREMELY rare due to recent events. Use them wisely if you ever come across one.
1.] Your Pokemon begin weak and by RPing eventually level and grow stronger.
2.] Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 were affected by The Pokemon Purge and have lost their once experienced Pokemon. They are now raising new Pokemon once more.
3.] Gym Leaders/Elite 4 grow alongside the RPers. If your first Gym battle is Koga in Fuchsia City, he will be weaker than if you fight Koga as your 5th Gym Leader.
4.] Due to Silph Co./Team Rocket's activities, transportation in the Pokeworld has been severely crippled and Trainers must walk/bike everywhere, although several sea-based modes of transportation such as boats are still available.
5.] Kanto-pokemon (151 in all) can only be caught in Kanto. Johto-pokemon (100 in all) can only be caught in Johto. 

(PM me or Post here)
[B][U]Character Sign-up Sheet:[/U][/B]
[B]Name:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Specialty[/B]: Any Pokemon type/element/species your character specializes in? Optional.
[B]Appearance:[/B] (Optional. A picture will suffice.)
[B]Personality:[/B] Be detailed. 3 sentences is not detail.
[B]Starting Town:[/B] Fuchsia/Vermilion or Cianwood/Azalea.
[B]Starting Pokemon:[/B] (1)

Rules:
1. No Legendaries.
2. No Starters (including Pikachu/Eevee.)
3. No Evolved Pokemon.
4. No 3rd/4th/5th Gen Pokemon. Don't even ask.
5. Minimum posting requirements: 2 Paragraphs per post (including dialogue.) Post 1x every 3 days.

Frank Reshman

Character Sign-up Sheet:
Name: Johnny Syx
Specialty: No.  Specializes in Pokemon theory more than battles at this point, having read about pokemon battles his entire life.
Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Personality:

John was never a shy person.  While not the most popular boy growing up, the few friends he did have knew him very well.  He is kind, loyal, and never hesitates to do what he thinks is right or tell you how he feels. He hardly ever instigates fights, but once someone challenges him, he is a force to be reckoned with.  John never had very many pokemon growing up, so he never really learned how to battle correctly.

Ever since he was old enough to read, however, he had been learning about Pokemon battles and the mechanics of how they worked.  One day, a wounded Scyther showed up on his doorstep.  After taking him to the Poke-Center, he then proceeded to watch over the Scyther until it was feeling well enough to come back to his house with him.  Since then, Scyther and John have been steadfast friends.

Since none of his family had ever been pokemon trainers, there was no need for excess pokeballs around the house.  John could still remember on his eighth birthday, receiving a pokeball and immediately placing it in a glass case and forgetting about it.  All of the pokemon around the shop were tame, from the countless generations of spinarak, to the Pinsir that they've around before John was even born.

John's family ran a bug-themed restaurant and, while it wasn't the most lucrative job in the world, it did give him plenty of time to read and play with his pokemon. Being the bottom rung of the social ladder, John's family didn't splurge if they could help it.  When the new champion balls came out, his father refused to buy any, stating that, "If there is no risk of failure, there is no joy in triumph." So, John and his family had to watch as everyone around them went and bought champion balls.  And John and his family had to watch as, one by one, everyone around them lost their pokemon to Team Rocket.  After the great Pokemon Purge, John swore to do what he could to help those in need, and ventured out with nothing but his Scyther, and a few old pokeballs in his pockets.

Starting Town: Fuchsia City
Starting Pokemon: Scyther (he's not evolved...that counts, right?)

Acid

I'll only be accepting a total of 8 people for this RP. So far I have 2/8, which leaves 6 open slots. If there's a problem with your CS, I'll PM you.

My CS, just for reference.

Character Sign-up Sheet:

Name: Mark Silversteel
Specialty: Flying/Mixed-Type Pokemon.
Appearance:

Personality: A birdcatcher from Fuchsia, Mark Silversteel always longed for the thrill the open sky brought. The sky represented freedom to him and so Mark built naturally gravitated towards the most liberated of Pokemon - the flying Pokemon. Already a novice Pokemon trainer, Mark was not determined enough to accumulate any notoriety or Gym Badges on his previous foray into Kanto. He is extremely mischievous and values creativity and ingenuity above power or personal glory; he often plays pranks on the citizens of Cianwood City with the help of his Pokemon team. These are often harmless goofs, but once or twice he has gotten in legal trouble due to a prank gone awry. Mark does things simply for the "experience" of it. Due to his creativity and penchant for chaos, Mark equally loves Pokemon of Mixed types - Flying + a secondary-type Pokemon are his most wanted. "The more bizarre, the better." is Mark's motto.

Mark Silversteel has virtually no urge to become a renowned trainer and views those who do as self-centered and emotionally weak - the only reason Mark is setting out into the Pokeworld once more is not to hone his trainer skills, but to retrieve his father's prized Delibird. Mark's father runs the Johto Mail Delivery Service (JMDS) from Cianwood and his mother runs the Kanto Mail Delivery Service (KMDS) from Fuchsia City. With the help of his father's Delibird (and a few other transportation-inclined Pokemon) the mail service provides quick mail and package delivery for hundreds across the Kanto and Johto regions. It is from his parents that Mark Silversteel acquired his love of Pokemon who scour the sky and feels inclined to punish those who stole his father's Delibird and endangered the family business.

Starting Town: Cianwood City
Starting Pokemon: Mantine (Water/Flying)

Ember Star

Quick question. Would Manaphy be an okay starter? If not, I have other options I'm looking into. I'm yet undecided.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Acid

QuoteRules:
1. No Legendaries.
2. No Starters (including Pikachu/Eevee.)
3. No Evolved Pokemon.
4. No 3rd/4th/5th Gen Pokemon. Don't even ask.
5. Minimum posting requirements: 2 Paragraphs per post (including dialogue.) Post 1x every 3 days.

Ember Star

Sorry for my general stupidity when it comes to knowing all about Pokemon. But just curious, which of those rules does Manaphy fall under?
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Carlissa

Quote from: Ember Star on April 14, 2012, 11:21:05 AM
Sorry for my general stupidity when it comes to knowing all about Pokemon. But just curious, which of those rules does Manaphy fall under?

1 and 4. Manaphy is a legendary Pokemon and was introduced in generation IV.

Question: Does this RP take place after the anime or the games?
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Acid

Quote from: Carlissa on April 14, 2012, 12:03:08 PM
1 and 4. Manaphy is a legendary Pokemon and was introduced in generation IV.

Question: Does this RP take place after the anime or the games?

After the anime, but some stuff is retconned for sake of simplicity and to ensure we're not just RPing the same plot as the anime/games.

Carlissa

Okay. I have another question too (forgive me for not posting this before).

You said that Gens. III-V are off limits. What if we want to start out with a Pokemon that evolves into a Pokemon from those gens (For example, starting out with Gligar, which evolves into Gliscor or Magby who eventually evolves into Magmortar)?
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Ember Star

Ah. Okay. Thanks! I'll see about drawing up a character sheet soon. My also getting involved in another Pokemon rp, so I'm not sure I want to take both in. But both offer different aspects to be considered, so I might

Acid

Quote from: Carlissa on April 14, 2012, 12:27:35 PM
Okay. I have another question too (forgive me for not posting this before).

You said that Gens. III-V are off limits. What if we want to start out with a Pokemon that evolves into a Pokemon from those gens (For example, starting out with Gligar, which evolves into Gliscor or Magby who eventually evolves into Magmortar)?

I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'd rather focus on getting the RP up first lol.

If someone wanted a Magmortar, they'd begin with a Magby and have to be RPing for long enough to evolve their Pokemon into its 3rd evolution, which is a leap of faith in and of itself. I'm not going to say someone 100% can't have Magmortar. If they've reached that point in the RP where it would be plausible for them to have a Magmortar, I'd probably let them have it.

Quote from: Ember Star on April 14, 2012, 12:52:42 PM
Ah. Okay. Thanks! I'll see about drawing up a character sheet soon. My also getting involved in another Pokemon rp, so I'm not sure I want to take both in. But both offer different aspects to be considered, so I might

No pressure. Don't take on more than you can handle.

Quote from: Frank Reshman on April 14, 2012, 03:58:15 AM
Character Sign-up Sheet:
Name: Johnny Syx
Specialty: No.  Specializes in Pokemon theory more than battles at this point, having read about pokemon battles his entire life.
Appearance:
Personality: John has always been a shy person.  Ever since he was old enough to read, he had been learning about Pokemon battles and the mechanics of how they worked.  He came from a poor family, so they didn't have enough money to purchase those accursed "champion balls".  His only pokemon, Scyther, was a great help with their family restaurant.  After the great Pokemon Purge, he swore to do what he could to help those in need, and ventured out with nothing but his Scyther, and a few old pokeballs in his pockets. 
Starting Town: Fuchsia City
Starting Pokemon: Scyther (he's not evolved...that counts, right?)

Rejected until you fix CS.
Check your PMs.

I'll start the RP once I have 4 people.
Right now have 2, probably 3. Need 1 more.

Crovonovin

Throwing my lot into the ring here.  I do have a few questions thought.  Where exactly will things be starting off?  Will those accepted gradually form a sort of party, or will we each be independent to an extent?  Will we be starting in Johto, Kanto, or will the group be split between those two regions?  It seems to me that the plot will inevitably lead into a confrontation with Team Rocket, but there's also an indication that gym battles will remain a large part of progression.  Any comment on how you see things progressing?

What else was there...  Ah, right!  How beholden will this be to the mechanics of the games from which this is all derived?  Restricted to four moves?  Could a Pokemon, through intense effort and training, build up a marginal resistance to the types that would normally floor them (Referring mainly to the proto-gym leader in season 1 that made such an attempt with his sandshrew and water)?

That's just an example mind you, as I have no interest in having my character subject a Pokemon to that kind of exercise.

Character Sign-up Sheet
Name: Dr. Samantha Greene
Specialty: Status-Effect Inducers
Appearance:
Personality: Dr. Greene is the very definition of a "free spirit".  She never lets herself get tied down by anything or anyone, particularly when it comes to romantic entanglements.  No matter how gorgeous the scenery, no matter how lovely its people, Samantha doesn't allow herself the luxury of staying in any one city or town for more than a week, barring extreme circumstances.  Her curiosity is boundless, but everything is always studied at arm's-length, as if she were afraid of letting the subject of her scrutiny get too close or become too dear to her.

Dr. Greene earned her degree in the burgeoning field of Pokemon Psychology, a field that is oft-criticized by those who believe Pokemon to be little better than animals at best and tools at worst.  Greene and her peers make valiant efforts to treat Pokemon as they would human beings, giving especial care to their mental state and attempting to bond with them on an even deeper level than that between trainer and trainee.  Of course, even the most intelligent Pokemon don't think quite as people do, making it a very different breed of study from more traditional forms of psychotherapy.  Part psychologist and part wildlife conservationist, Greene goes out of her way to facilitate peaceful relations between humans and Pokemon, both wild and domesticated.
Starting Town: Vermilion
Starting Pokemon: Parsley (Paras)
Moveset:

• Scratch
  • Stun Spore
  • Poison Powder
  • Leech Life

Ember Star

I can't pass up a good Pokemon rp, so I decided to throw my hat in.

Character Sign-up Sheet: Name: Amy Kerensky
Specialty: Water/mixed water types
Appearance:

Personality: Can you say perky much? Amy is one of those "happy, happy, happy all the time" people, that usually annoys the heck out of everybody else. She seems to almost bounce and skip everywhere she goes, and talking all the while, like she's high on sugar or something. Given that fact, she's not afraid of anything, in fact, she's almost obvious to any danger from anything. She'll bound right up to complete strangers and just start chatting up a storm. She's also obvious to the fact that she irritates everybody around her, which means if you snap and yell at her, she'll hard blink an eye or pause.
Starting Town: Cianwood
Starting Pokemon: Seel (Water)

SargentToughie

Call me a skeptic, but I've got to ask just how 'dark' and 'gritty' this RP is going to be. This seems like one of those RPs that doesn't really do justice to the lighthearted and optimistic source material. Now, I'm not saying the RP has to be childish, but I hate RPs that take fun, colorful fandoms and turn them into post apocalyptic gloom and doom scenarios. If I'm wrong, awesome. But if not, then I'll just have to pass on this one.

My next question is why can't we have anything from Gens 3-5? Some of my favorites ever come from those Generations, this smells eerily of nostalgia goggles getting in the way of quality here. And why can't Eevee be a starter? I'm not interested in picking it, but that seems like a really odd restriction since Eevee is one of the most popular and loved Gen 1 mons.

Sorry for being so harsh, I'd just kinda like more information before I decide one way or the other about this RP. Contrary to what you may think by this point, I really AM quite interested.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Ember Star

I have to agree with you on all accounts there, Sargent. You said some things I was thinking. Note my overly perky character. Lol

SargentToughie

I've just had a lot of bad experiences with GMs that exert too much pointless control in the past, so I make sure that I fully understand what I'm getting myself into before I sign up for anything.

It's nothing personal, Acid, I promise. ^^
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Ember Star

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 14, 2012, 10:27:49 PM
I've just had a lot of bad experiences with GMs that exert too much pointless control in the past, so I make sure that I fully understand what I'm getting myself into before I sign up for anything.

Same here. I've butted heads with more than I can count. Lol

Acid

Quote from: Shihong on April 14, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
Throwing my lot into the ring here.  I do have a few questions thought.  Where exactly will things be starting off?  Will those accepted gradually form a sort of party, or will we each be independent to an extent?  Will we be starting in Johto, Kanto, or will the group be split between those two regions?  It seems to me that the plot will inevitably lead into a confrontation with Team Rocket, but there's also an indication that gym battles will remain a large part of progression.  Any comment on how you see things progressing?

What else was there...  Ah, right!  How beholden will this be to the mechanics of the games from which this is all derived?  Restricted to four moves?  Could a Pokemon, through intense effort and training, build up a marginal resistance to the types that would normally floor them (Referring mainly to the proto-gym leader in season 1 that made such an attempt with his sandshrew and water)?

That's just an example mind you, as I have no interest in having my character subject a Pokemon to that kind of exercise.

Character Sign-up Sheet
Name: Dr. Samantha Greene
Specialty: Status-Effect Inducers
Appearance:
Personality: Dr. Greene is the very definition of a "free spirit".  She never lets herself get tied down by anything or anyone, particularly when it comes to romantic entanglements.  No matter how gorgeous the scenery, no matter how lovely its people, Samantha doesn't allow herself the luxury of staying in any one city or town for more than a week, barring extreme circumstances.  Her curiosity is boundless, but everything is always studied at arm's-length, as if she were afraid of letting the subject of her scrutiny get too close or become too dear to her.

Dr. Greene earned her degree in the burgeoning field of Pokemon Psychology, a field that is oft-criticized by those who believe Pokemon to be little better than animals at best and tools at worst.  Greene and her peers make valiant efforts to treat Pokemon as they would human beings, giving especial care to their mental state and attempting to bond with them on an even deeper level than that between trainer and trainee.  Of course, even the most intelligent Pokemon don't think quite as people do, making it a very different breed of study from more traditional forms of psychotherapy.  Part psychologist and part wildlife conservationist, Greene goes out of her way to facilitate peaceful relations between humans and Pokemon, both wild and domesticated.
Starting Town: Vermilion
Starting Pokemon: Parsley (Paras)

You're free to start off on your own, but if you're in the same Starting Town as someone else, the most logical thing would be to team up with them. I'll bring it up again in the OOC so if people want to switch their Starting Towns, they may. That's up to you guys though. Regardless, we WILL be meeting up during the course of the RP at some point early on (not at the very beginning though, but sometime shortly thereafter.) I have something planned that will make the gathering more feasible.

You're right in assuming that Gym battles will be a part of this RP. What would Pokemon be without Gym Leaders? The Gym Battles/Leaders will be explained in full detail once the OOC goes up, but they'll serve some minor secondary purpose besides just raising your Pokemon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the battle mechanics because the Pokemon battles in this RP will be more freeform than the games. Similar to the battles in the anime. Each Pokemon will have 4 moves (no Gen 3/4/5 moves.) I'm not going to make you guys keep track of HP or PP or IVs or stats or anything like that (because I don't feel like doing that either.) Combat will be much more creative and freeform.

No shame in wanting to know what you're getting into. I'd rather you lose interest in the interest check than when the OOC and IC go up because then I'll have to scramble to fill that spot.  :P

In regards to your CS, Accepted.
Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with her.

Quote from: SargentToughie on April 14, 2012, 10:07:21 PM
Call me a skeptic, but I've got to ask just how 'dark' and 'gritty' this RP is going to be. This seems like one of those RPs that doesn't really do justice to the lighthearted and optimistic source material. Now, I'm not saying the RP has to be childish, but I hate RPs that take fun, colorful fandoms and turn them into post apocalyptic gloom and doom scenarios. If I'm wrong, awesome. But if not, then I'll just have to pass on this one.

My next question is why can't we have anything from Gens 3-5? Some of my favorites ever come from those Generations, this smells eerily of nostalgia goggles getting in the way of quality here. And why can't Eevee be a starter? I'm not interested in picking it, but that seems like a really odd restriction since Eevee is one of the most popular and loved Gen 1 mons.

Sorry for being so harsh, I'd just kinda like more information before I decide one way or the other about this RP. Contrary to what you may think by this point, I really AM quite interested.

It's definitely going to be a bit more mature than the games or anime, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it "dark." Definitely more mature, but not very macabre. 

Gen 3-5 is a no-go because the Pokemon that I grew up with and the Pokemon that I hold dear to my heart are Generations 1 and 2. I'm a bit of a purist. Not to mention, I know next to nothing about Generation 3-5 Pokemon, towns, story, etc.  :P

Eevee/Eeveelutions/Starters/Legendaries are overdone. I also consider Eevee a psuedo-starter Pokemon (Pokemon Yellow.) I didn't feel like GMing an RP where everyone RPed the same Pokemon ever and over. That's just my preference and I'm not going to compromise with it.

They're legitimate questions though, no worries.

SargentToughie

Alright, got it.

The tone will be fine. I can handle mature, I just can't stand anything being pointlessly dark.

Eeveelutions and the legendaries are another legit concern that I can respect, that's cool. The only thing I really have an issue with are not allowing anything from 3-5 on principle. As somebody who has played every single main line Pokemon game since Red, I can assure you that every single generation has it's goods and it's bads, but all of them have something new and great that they can bring to the table. I'd even go so far as to say that gen 5 was the BEST Pokemon generation to date, going from the ratio of likable/dumb pokemon. I won't argue the point too much if you're REALLY dead set on this, but I can't help but shake the feeling that you're handicapping this RP because of it.

EDIT: Just to give you an idea of how cool some of the Gen 5s are, it's water type starter is an otter with a seashell on it's stomach. You think that it looks dumb at first glance, but then you learn that it takes the shell off it's stomach and shanks people with it.

And then it evolves into a samurai walrus of awesomeness. You said no starters, and I respect that, but that's just one example.
Ons and offs

Crovonovin

While I do have plenty of favorites among the later generations, I can understand why Acid would be hesitant to allow material from the later generations.  If he does, that also opens up several new continents that he has little or no experience with, and possibly even other major criminal organizations.  I'm personally fine with keeping things Rocket-centric and having just two regions available, at least from the start.  Better for a GM to stick to something they know backwards and forwards, rather than introduce new material and run the risk of making mistakes.

Simply put, adding the later generations just adds more work onto Acid's plate as a storyteller and overseer of the game.

SargentToughie

Yeah... True enough... I've just been on a Pokemon White bender the last week or so and have built up a team that I absolutely adore out of nothing but Gen 5ers, so my creativity is taking a nose dive with anything else. Yeah, I know that Dragonite and Alakazam are classics, but I loves me some Hydreigon and some Volcarona
Ons and offs

Smoothtrooperette

I want to join; but I'm still a little on the fence about it.  If someone were to start out with an Abra, for example--  Would you allow it to know one of its TM moves along with Teleport?  Since they only learn teleport by leveling up and can learn other moves by TM?  Also-- if a Pokemon evolves through trading-- Can it only evolve through an trade in the RP or no? 

Acid

To answer all future queries about "what if" questions: the answer is that I'll look at everything on a case by case basis (provided it doesn't already break one of the rules.)

Abra starts out only with Teleport. If the RPer is not willing to pick any of the other dozens of Pokemon they can choose from and they absolutely MUST have Abra or they'll die (or not join the RP, which is completely fine with me btw) we can just pretend that Abra starts out with Teleport + Psychic or something. It'll obviously gain Kadabra's moveset once it levels enough.

I'm not going to be concerning myself much with TMs/HMs because that's just extra stuff for everyone to keep track of. I MAY implement HMs, but definitely not TMs. Unless things changed later on in the series, I don't think the issue of TMs or HMs was addressed in the anime even once. Unless otherwise stated, Pokemon "moves" will follow the anime. Not the games.

You can trade your Pokemon if you so wish, but if someone wants a Golem or Haunter, they won't have to trade for it.

Don't worry about the technical stuff, because there won't be much of it. I'll explain everything in the OOC.

OOC and IC are going up today.

Jackalope

I like the sound of this... Gotta be honest, I don't really post on this site very much, but I've been looking for something like this for a while. And if I may throw in my two cents about your choice of generations, that's just what I would have picked... I don't have a problem with 3rd, aside from all of the unnecessary legendaries but 4th was unplayable. I think they really ran out of ideas.

You said our pokemon would start out weak... I'd been considering a few options for my first pokemon and two of them are onix and snorlax. Would they start out smaller and grow over time? Because I can't see them being physically weak with their size. Maybe unskilled and poorly trained to begin with... I could avoid them altogether if you like.

Acid

Quote from: Jackalope on April 15, 2012, 08:56:27 AM
I like the sound of this... Gotta be honest, I don't really post on this site very much, but I've been looking for something like this for a while. And if I may throw in my two cents about your choice of generations, that's just what I would have picked... I don't have a problem with 3rd, aside from all of the unnecessary legendaries but 4th was unplayable. I think they really ran out of ideas.

You said our pokemon would start out weak... I'd been considering a few options for my first pokemon and two of them are onix and snorlax. Would they start out smaller and grow over time? Because I can't see them being physically weak with their size. Maybe unskilled and poorly trained to begin with... I could avoid them altogether if you like.

Glad to hear you're interested.

A Level 1 Snorlax/Onix is still a Level 1 Snorlax/Onix. We're working under the assumption that lvl 1 Pokemon sort of suck. Since we're not going to be using any stats or whatever in the game and all combat will be freeform, all Pokemon are assumed to suck equally. The only thing that could give you an advantage is if you're better at RP dueling in "Arena" type RPs. Heavier bodies = less agile Pokemon, but more durable. Lighter bodies = more agility, but less durability. Your Onix or Snorlax aren't going to be jumping around everywhere like, say, a Sandshrew or Nidoran or Girafarig might. We'll also be taking into consideration the Pokemon's inherent traits into their combat style. An example would be Slowpoke or Swinub. You're not going to see many Slowpokes or Swinubs being particularly agile, even though they're not particularly heavy. It's just not in their nature for the most part.

I want to keep things as "traditional" and simplistic as possible, in Pokemon terms.

If you want either of those Pokemon, by all means pick them when you submit your Character Sheet.