Important Announcement if you are running Windows

Started by Vekseid, July 21, 2015, 01:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

My home computers are scanned weekly for viruses and malware and I am very careful about things..I am sort of anal about my home computers..sadly my work computer is another story..we still have to use internet exploder for my main work tool although we go get to have fire fox for everything else..and the techs are working on getting us off IE...i am paranoid since we can't update IE at all right now because if we do it will fuck up and not work with our tool..sort of ridiculous. But at least the programming people are working on getting us off IE.

I also have to use adobe for some things but this is not my personal computer so not really my problem if it breaks or fucks up.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

AmberStarfire

I have to admit, I kind of like Adobe stuff. I have all sorts of Adobe software on my machine. It's probably my favourite software out there.

I'm actually wondering to what extent Adobe stuff is the issue, whether it's just Flash and potentially Acrobat Reader that are the issue, or if it's more the Adobe fonts, or a library that's going to be running through the breadth of their software.

Maybe I should research that online rather than asking questions here.

PennySludt

i stopped running automatic updates on windows because every time it updated, google chrome would quit working and i'd have to revert to an older version of my backup to get it to run again. what am i doing wrong?
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Mithlomwen

Another question from the technologically challenged. 

For places that use Adobe flash (like the games on Facebook as an example) will one of the alternatives work?
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Angie

Nice of Veks to hit us with a warning even when it's not something E related. Just goes to show how much he cares ;D

I do have one question: How does one fuck up so badly that your font data is providing an open backdoor? Maybe it's because I don't understand programming (yet, I'm about to start classes), but this seems like an easy thing to not have happen. I mean it's font data, that doesn't sound like something that could easily screw up.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Haibane

Quote from: Fenrisulfr on July 21, 2015, 03:44:47 AM
If you right click on "my computer" and pick "manage", then go to "services" and look for "Windows Update". Is it started? Is it set to "Automatic".

It has to be set to automatic to start automatically at a reboot. So any other setting will result in that error. Change it to automatic if needed.

If it is not started, try to start it and see if it is possible or if you get any error messages.

It is also worth to look in the event viewer, that you also can find through the window you started by picking manage. But I'm not sure how easy it is to understand.
Thanks for helping. I followed your instructions. It was set to Automatic (Delayed Start), however when I set the start type to Automatic in the properties and reboot it always reverts to Automatic (Delayed Start) again and I get the same error.

I will try again running it from safe mode.

Veks - do you know if Adobe Air has vulnerabilities? Its the variant of their flash player used on the BBC iPlayer website and I can't live without that!

All other Adobe products on my PC are history and I'm using Unity Web Player now. Thanks to everyone who has made these cool suggestions.

Vekseid

What does it say when you try to start the service manually?

And honestly, I'd poke the BBC and ask them to get with the decade. >_>

Xanatos

I was also curious about Youtube. I am on it every day. If I ditch Flash, for say Unity, would my viewing be effected? I read a small blurb, here https://www.youtube.com/html5  saying that some or all vids support html5, but I'm really not as tech savvy as I should be. I don't know if that answered my question or not. Though, I thought html5 was just a replacement for the old way to house/build/whatever for the internet and not necessarily a video/graphics display software.

Blythe

Quote from: Xanatos on July 21, 2015, 02:21:42 PM
I was also curious about Youtube. I am on it every day. If I ditch Flash, for say Unity, would my viewing be effected? I read a small blurb, here https://www.youtube.com/html5  saying that some or all vids support html5, but I'm really not as tech savvy as I should be. I don't know if that answered my question or not. Though, I thought html5 was just a replacement for the old way to house/build/whatever for the internet and not necessarily a video/graphics display software.

I use Chrome and have ditched Flash. Youtube works just fine for me. ^^

persephone325

Quote from: Mithlomwen on July 21, 2015, 10:58:44 AM
Another question from the technologically challenged. 

For places that use Adobe flash (like the games on Facebook as an example) will one of the alternatives work?

^This.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

jouzinka

I ditched Flash for Unity and while I have experienced some troubles so far, youtube and FAcebook are not one of them.

Some platforms are written for Flash only and that does affect games, but you will never know with those until you try. It's an uninstall-install away, only.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Haibane on July 21, 2015, 12:18:08 PM
Thanks for helping. I followed your instructions. It was set to Automatic (Delayed Start), however when I set the start type to Automatic in the properties and reboot it always reverts to Automatic (Delayed Start) again and I get the same error.
Delayed Start should work as well.

To try starting it manually, you can right click on it and chose start.

QuoteI will try again running it from safe mode.
I hope it help and "shake things loose" so it start working again.

As I mentioned, there might be some information in the event viewer. Unfortunately, I don't have any English Window installed so I'm not sure I will be able to write up an instruction, that make sense, on how to search it.

Vampyre Valkyrie

“Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time."

|

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on July 21, 2015, 01:47:29 PM
What does it say when you try to start the service manually?
I get the same error with every setting, saying the service is not running.

Quote from: Vekseid on July 21, 2015, 01:47:29 PMAnd honestly, I'd poke the BBC and ask them to get with the decade. >_>
I know. I've had to reinstall Adobe Flash Player because the BBC uses it exclusively for their iPlayer and all the videos on their news pages, apparently. I've sent them an e-mail but I expect this was Adobe slipping them a wad of cash to get a monopoly deal. *sigh*

Fenrisulfr - no go. No setting I try will make the Win Updater run. What is the Event Viewer please?

Quote...right click on it...
Apologies for seeming slow - right click on what? I see no clickable options in the Update window.

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Vampyre Valkyrie on July 21, 2015, 02:38:23 PM
*Groans* On one of my computers I run XP.
Do you use it connected to the Internet or only offline? If the computer is never connected, it isn't a problem.

Is it because you need XP (and Windows) for some specific application? As I guess it is an older machine, it could be worth running a lightweight Linux on it, to extend its life.

jouzinka

Haibane, you can also try using this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071

Fenri, I ran Win 7 on a laptop that would now be 9 years old when it first came out as beta version. If it's necessary to change system, I'd try Win 7 first, personally, for users.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

AmberStarfire

There's a reason it may not be running. I think Hairy had this problem a while ago and there's a certain service it requires to run, and it won't if that's missing off your computer. At the time it seemed this was probably down to a virus scanning program he used that has a tendency to remove files if it feels they're compromised, which unfortunately includes Windows files.

You could try accessing the updates directly from the Microsoft site and see if they work. It might tell you why if they don't.

The other thing is sometimes Windows draws the conclusion you're not using an official copy, even when you are. I think it's some of the file cleaning programs that come with antiviruses and the like that can remove needed information. If you right-click on My Computer (or This PC) and go to Properties, it should bring up a page and it will have a badge saying use an official copy of Windows if it seems to think you're not. I think that can sometimes lock out updates.

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Fenrisulfr on July 21, 2015, 02:48:31 PM
Do you use it connected to the Internet or only offline? If the computer is never connected, it isn't a problem.

Is it because you need XP (and Windows) for some specific application? As I guess it is an older machine, it could be worth running a lightweight Linux on it, to extend its life.

I'm running XP because I'm broke and have no money to update...at all. The computer is old enough that it still says IBM (not Lenova) and has no internal wireless (I have a piece of hardware I have to plug into it to use.) It's an old ass ThinkPad. I use it to post on E...that's pretty much it...cause it won't really let me do anything else.
“Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time."

|

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Haibane on July 21, 2015, 02:42:11 PMFenrisulfr - no go. No setting I try will make the Win Updater run. What is the Event Viewer please?
The Event Viewer is a log function in Windows. You can reach it through one of these...
* Right click on "My Computer". Pick "Manage" and then you have Event Viewer in the list.
* In the Control Panel, go to "Administrative Tools" and it should be there
* Click on the windows button and pick run (or hold down the windows key on the keyboard and press R), then type Eventvwr and press enter.

My guess is that it might be in the System log.

QuoteApologies for seeming slow - right click on what? I see no clickable options in the Update window.
On the "Windows Update" service. It should be a start button where you can pick Automatic/manually/disabled, which is the same alternative.

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: jouzinka on July 21, 2015, 02:49:23 PM
Haibane, you can also try using this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071
Nice. :-) I agree to begin in that end.

QuoteFenri, I ran Win 7 on a laptop that would now be 9 years old when it first came out as beta version. If it's necessary to change system, I'd try Win 7 first, personally, for users.
The risk is with all updates, it won't run well. And it is a risk that, unless it is possible to borrow someones license, it will cost money to test.

So it is a trade off between having to learn new things and cost.

Fenrisulfr

Quote from: Vampyre Valkyrie on July 21, 2015, 02:55:11 PM
I'm running XP because I'm broke and have no money to update...at all. The computer is old enough that it still says IBM (not Lenova) and has no internal wireless (I have a piece of hardware I have to plug into it to use.) It's an old ass ThinkPad. I use it to post on E...that's pretty much it...cause it won't really let me do anything else.
The wireless hardware might be problem to find new drivers for.

If you happen to know someone who might have an extra harddrive lying around, it is possible to test to install it with something else (Win7 or Linux) and see how it works. Then if it don't work, it is just to plug your disk back.

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on July 21, 2015, 02:42:11 PM
I get the same error with every setting, saying the service is not running.

Err no, as Fenri is getting at, I mean trying to actually start the service yourself, not running Windows Update.

I know. I've had to reinstall Adobe Flash Player because the BBC uses it exclusively for their iPlayer and all the videos on their news pages, apparently. I've sent them an e-mail but I expect this was Adobe slipping them a wad of cash to get a monopoly deal. *sigh*

Usually it's the developers that push these sorts of things. : /

Fenrisulfr

In the link jouzinka posted, it mention Windows Update relies on two other services. Bits and Wuauserv (not sure what the "friendly names" are for them)

QuoteWindows 7 and earlier versions

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type cmd, and then press Enter.
    At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
        net start bits
        net start wuauserv

LtRipley

Yeah that explains the out of nowhere update the other day

Rogue

*debates switching the XP to ubuntu* *is irked* *grumbles*