~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shores

Both the Word of the Day here and at the Storyteller's Cafe have their own special shinies when you hit a certain number. Totally worth it.

The one at the Storyteller's Cafe has a 100 word minimum and isn't updated as much because you can go through all the words that they have used. Over here they update more frequently so I don't bother playing catch-up and just go with the flow.

RampantDesires

Today's word is also broken for me. It will always be something The Dude does :P

I'm glad to see people getting back into posting, and new people joining <3 you all!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

So today I was like "go home WotD, you're drunk"  career as a verb?  You clearly mean careen.  Luckily the Did You Know section clears all of this up.

Quote from: https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/career-2018-04-04Did You Know?
Chances are you're familiar with the verb careen as used in the sense of "to go forward in a headlong or uncontrolled manner." Similarly, you likely know the noun career meaning "a profession for which one trains and which is undertaken as a permanent calling." What you may not know is that the noun career (from Middle French carriere) originally referred to a course or passage (as in "the sun's career across the sky") and to the speed used to traverse such a course. In the context of medieval tournaments, career referred to the charge of mounted knights as well as to the courses they rode. Verb use eventually developed with a general "to go fast" meaning, and later the more specific sense of moving in a reckless or headlong manner. (If you're wondering, career is not etymologically related to careen; careen has nautical origins, tracing to the Latin word for "hull.")

When I started thinking about it though I guess I have heard in in the context of like a car careering forward ... but nope even when I read that last sentence my brain wants to correct it to careening. It DOES amuse me that career can be your job/vocation AND mean barreling forward ... that's positive I guess?   Right? Maybe?

<edit> Using it in the brief scene was awkward for me too and I initially strayed outside the PG-13 gore lines with what waited for her at the castle walls so I had to edit that bit out.  All in all not my favorite word day :P

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Kyranna

I had the same thought on Career as well... then I thought on it... and Googled it and got excited over learning a new word. Then today... awesome word, love it... and well as I said, goodnight all :D

PS
This is a lot of fun, I look forward to it every day.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

Shores

Do you think the word career(job) originated from career(propelling forward) because to advance in a job is to career up?

RampantDesires

I look forward to reading all the replies everyday as well :-) It's always fun to see the different ways people use the same (occasionally odd) word!

With the french root meaning "course or passage"  I'd say you're right Shores :-)  But like life/job course and direction *nods*  Isn't it weird how we use words our whole life and just accept that they mean things without diving into the WHY all that much?

Kyranna

Gah, my brain has been so drained the last few days >< I missed some awesome words too.

I love kitsch though, it is or was a common word in SA when I lived there, and I fell utterly in love with it, when I use it now though, people typically look at me oddly as if I have spoken another language.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

RampantDesires

CONGRATULATIONS Kyranna!
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

This celebration will NOT be deferred! :-)

I have enjoyed reading your posts so far and look forward to reading more.  Keep up the great work!

Kyranna

Aww yay, I seriously need to get the words I missed with this busy week and make an epic phrase.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

RampantDesires

Yay!  Nice to see you again Zypher and mioyumyum!

Your last post was painfully relateable Shores.  Not being able to sleep before large important events is a cruel truth :-(

Yours made me laugh Kyranna.  I'm sorry that life has been sucky to you of late and hope it clears up!

Kyranna

I was just pleased that all could be used in such an accurate manner... and I also laughed, a lot. :D Glad I could share the laughter.
PMs always welcome
Plots and Thoughts
Ons&Offs
A&A

RampantDesires

Huzzah sharing laughter :D  Speaking of sharing things, I forgot to mention that there is a special Aniversary Edition of WotD.  You can find it in the Aniversary section or click the link below!

ZephyrInk

I haven't been in here for a long while! Congratulations to all those who made it to the hall of fame!! ^_^ yay!!

*waves to RampantDesires* =)

The special edition sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try =)

Shores

Quote from: RampantDesires on April 16, 2018, 06:47:28 PM
Your last post was painfully relateable Shores.  Not being able to sleep before large important events is a cruel truth :-(

It feels like my body is betraying me when it happens. :(

OMG SPECIAL EDITION WotD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RampantDesires

Shores - Must. Not. Change. My. Location. To "this zombified hellhole" even if it is so appropriate for Georgia :P

I look forward to seeing y'all's challenge entry posts.  I really need to post in that thread myself, it isn't in my notifications *hangs head in shame*

Theta Sigma

Today's word is one of my favourites. >_>

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RampantDesires

Ooo it was a good one Thete, but it is kind of hard to use in writing.  I beat my  head against it for awhile but then just decided to skip it.

Friday's word makes me happy because I literally just explained this word to someone who thought it was 'a made up word', logged in and saw it was WotD!  Am going to see a musical tomorrow:

Quote from: God, I Hate Shakespeare Lyrics SOMETHING ROTTEN
And that’s ANOTHER thing I hate about Shakespeare!
Is all the twits who bloviate about Shakespeare!
And how they prattle on about his great accomplishments, well la-di-da-di-dah!
And once they start their gushing there’s no stopping them
And then it’s “blah blah blah blah blah Shakespeare!”
And he walks in, it’s “dum da dum ta da Shakespeare!”
He’s holding court and they say “Will you’re such a genius and your writing is divine,
A rose by any other name is such a clever line!”
And they’re all “ooh!” and he’s all “stop” and they’re all “yay” and I’m all “ugh”

So excited for this!

It is a word that you don't hear come up often, but it's pretty awesome!

Mellific

I am hoping to make it to the Hall, but with today's WOTD, it probably won't happen today. xD

Of course, it'd help it I used the right website. Sorry for the mix up!

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

CONGRATULATIONS Mellific!

Your beaucoup post made me laugh a little too hard and I'm always super excited to see your lovely posts.  Congrats lady!

RampantDesires

Quote from: meriam webster's page
Did You Know?
Slumgullion may not sound like the most appetizing name for a dish, but that's part of its charm. The word's etymology doesn't necessarily do it any favors: while the origins of slumgullion are somewhat murky, the word is believed to derive from slum, an old word for "slime," and gullion, an English dialectical term for "mud" or "cesspool." The earliest recorded usages of slumgullion, including one from Mark Twain's Roughing It (1872), refer not to a stew but a beverage. The sense referring to the stew debuted a few decades later, and while there is no consensus on exactly what ingredients are found in it, that's the slumgullion that lives on today.

Not the most appetizing?  It sounds HORRIBLE to me *shudders at today's word of the day*

Mellific

Quote from: RampantDesires on May 08, 2018, 10:50:43 PM

CONGRATULATIONS Mellific!

Your beaucoup post made me laugh a little too hard and I'm always super excited to see your lovely posts.  Congrats lady!

Thank you so much! Feels good to deserve that feather I've been sporting a bit prematurely! xD

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

Okay ... the hell?

I have never heard today's word. Not once in all my years of life O.o

myoo-lee-EB-ruh-tee - the quality of being a woman

Quote from: The "Did You Know" Section of Merriam Webster's WotD page
Muliebrity has been used in English to suggest the distinguishing character or qualities of a woman or of womankind since the 16th century. (Its masculine counterpart, virility, entered the language at about the same time.) Muliebrity comes from Latin mulier, meaning "woman," and probably is a cognate of Latin mollis, meaning "soft." Mollis is also the source of the English verb mollify—a word that implies a "softening" of hurt feelings or anger.

O.o

RampantDesires

CONGRATULATIONS Lilias!

It is always lovely to read your WotD posts.  You manage to set the tone and characters of each piece quickly and instantly draw in your reader.  I look forward to seeing more!

Mellific

Congratulations, Lilias! I've been really enjoying reading your entries! Thank you for sharing your words with us, and I hope you'll continue to do so, because I'd love to read more!  ;D

O/O | A/A | MM

Lilias

Quote from: Mellific on May 24, 2018, 06:53:52 AM
Congratulations, Lilias! I've been really enjoying reading your entries! Thank you for sharing your words with us, and I hope you'll continue to do so, because I'd love to read more!  ;D

Thanks! Glad you found something you liked in my mad dashes to make challenge quota. ;D I plan to stick around, whether there's a challenge going or not. These little prompts are like mini workouts: over and done before they get tiring, but day after day they work their magic. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI