Serenity/Firefly game?

Started by Max, April 23, 2006, 03:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Natalie, I might suggest getting the Memorable Complication, instead of the Alcohol Allergy.  It makes you stand out in a crowd, but it could be for good looks just as much for bad.  The book versions of both Zoe and Inara had it for that reason.  River had it as well, but that was more for her tendency to go barefoot, mood swings, and unpredicticable behavior.

Astalinnon, you might want to get Athletics-Dodge.  Very helpful to get out of the way when someone points a gun at you.  PMing me your backstory is fine.  And my math may be wrong, but think you still have 4 points left in attributes.  I might suggest buying up Agility.  That would be the Attribute used with most guns.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Natalie C. Barney

Saranii Jannu

Concept: Registered Companion

Traits
Assets
Allure (Major)
Friends in High Places (Minor)
Good Name- Jannu Family (Minor)
Moneyed Individual (Major)
Registered Companion (Minor)

Complications
Credo- Non-violent save in self defense with regards to human threats only. (Minor)
Loyal-  Jannu Family(Minor)
Memorable- Outstanding Presence ~not just beauty but that special something that makes her stand out even among others in her preofession~ (Minor)
Phobia- Icky Insects ~butterfies and the like are nice but a cockroach is icky for reference lol~ (Minor)
Prejudice- Jannu Family (Minor)

Attributes
Agility D8
Strength D6
Vitality D8
Alertness D8
Intelligence D8
Willpower D8

Life Points 16
Initiative 16

Skills
Artistry D4
Athletics D6
Craft D4
Influence D6
Conversation D12+D4
Seduction D8

Knowledge D4
Mechanical Engineering D2
Medical Expertise D2
Melee Weapon Combat D4
Perception D6
Performance D6
Pilot D6
Planetary Vehicles D2
Scientific Expertise D4
Technical Engineering D2
Unarmed Combat D4

"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Max

Natalie, looks good, but I haven't done the math yet.  Will do so first chance I get.  My appearance here might be a little scarce for the next day or so, seem to be having a lot of bad weather here. 

Just wondering, is Saranii lesbian?  I seem to recall seeing that in your ons and offs.  Would think the number of bi and lesbian clients might be a bit limited out in the Rim.  I am not saying you can't, just not sure of her client base.  *Hopes that doesn't sound to bad or judgemental.*

Oh, on another note, Intitative would be the Agility die and Alertness die (in Saranii's case, D8+D8), not a straight 16.  Thought I'd pass that along. Sorry for the confusion.  The Life Points are fine.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Max on April 25, 2006, 09:02:47 PM
Natalie, looks good, but I haven't done the math yet.  Will do so first chance I get.  My appearance here might be a little scarce for the next day or so, seem to be having a lot of bad weather here. 

Just wondering, is Saranii lesbian?  I seem to recall seeing that in your ons and offs.  Would think the number of bi and lesbian clients might be a bit limited out in the Rim.  I am not saying you can't, just not sure of her client base.  *Hopes that doesn't sound to bad or judgemental.*

Oh, on another note, Intitative would be the Agility die and Alertness die (in Saranii's case, D8+D8), not a straight 16.  Thought I'd pass that along. Sorry for the confusion.  The Life Points are fine.

Ok I gave her Moneyed Individual she works to keep busy, she likes it and to keep her out of the core systems not that she needs it with her trust fund and share of family income sources or something.

For fun I gave her GOOD NAME figuring her family during the war were respectable and fair soldiers and treated the Brown Coats well and in doing her service made the Alliance good list as heroes adding also good political figures and honest dealings in business. Respected on all sides.

For fun gave her LOYALTY to her family and PREJUDICE against them basically she has the good name, is loyal to them as a personal obligation but is not fond of them due to them being HAWKS for unification. Should make for fun role-playing.

I'm not sure of the numbers I made changes as I went along but they should be ok I hope.

Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Natalie, Think you went 4 points over in Attributes and Traits.  I might suggest dropping Strength down to a D6, and maybe another attribute, or maybe dropping the Good name.  It seems to me it would apply to you, to something you did, not what your family might have done.  Maybe dropping Good Name down to a minor asset, and the Strength to a D6?

BTW, the Moneyed Individual means more money at start (4,500 credits in her case) as well as a trust fund that can be dipped into once per session.

Astalinnon:  Ouch.  Looks good, so far, he will be a nasty fighter.  Agility plus weapon skill to make an attack.  D12+D12+D4 when using an assault rifle.  Ouch.

Ons and offs:

RogueJedi

Um, I am wondering.  Still room for more people?

I would have to look up stuff, and decide what I want to be.  But I wouldn't mind getting back into the swing.

Um, could you PM me Max.  I might need some help on some facets.  Thanks.

Max

Sure, still have room.  So far, we have one Companion (think high class geisha), a hired gun, a doctor and a mechanic.  Could use a pilor, or more hired guns. 

Ons and offs:

Swedish Steel

Hiya. Just letting you know I'm still interested in playing the doc. Haven't had time to figure out the rules yet, but I'll get there.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

RogueJedi

I might be interested in being a pilot.  But I do humbly request assistance in creating my character.  *looks at you with fluttering lashes*

Swedish Steel

I'm reading through characte creation now, maybe we could help eachother? And I think Max is on-line, bet he can help us out.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Max on April 26, 2006, 08:06:20 AM
Natalie, Think you went 4 points over in Attributes and Traits.  I might suggest dropping Strength down to a D6, and maybe another attribute, or maybe dropping the Good name.  It seems to me it would apply to you, to something you did, not what your family might have done.  Maybe dropping Good Name down to a minor asset, and the Strength to a D6?

BTW, the Moneyed Individual means more money at start (4,500 credits in her case) as well as a trust fund that can be dipped into once per session.

Astalinnon:  Ouch.  Looks good, so far, he will be a nasty fighter.  Agility plus weapon skill to make an attack.  D12+D12+D4 when using an assault rifle.  Ouch.

Ok I dropped a little on Agility and Strength not biggies for a Companion and kept Good Name. Heh she's not a fighter she has other skills.  ;)

And she can fight she has taken basic self-defense and can use a sword a little. I think I get D6+D4 to hit with a melee weapon or martial arts so you may all tremble in fear. lol  :D

Saranii Jannu

Concept: Registered Companion

Traits
Assets
Allure (Major)
Friends in High Places (Minor)
Good Name- Jannu Family (Major)
Moneyed Individual (Major)
Registered Companion (Minor)

Complications
Credo- Non-violent save in self defense with regards to human threats only. (Minor)
Loyal-  Jannu Family (Minor)
Memorable- Outstanding Presence ~not just beauty but that special something that makes her stand out even among others in her preofession~ (Minor)
Phobia- Icky Insects ~butterfies and the like are nice but a cockroach is icky for reference lol~ (Minor)
Prejudice- Jannu Family (Minor)

Attributes
Agility D6
Strength D6
Vitality D8
Alertness D8
Intelligence D8
Willpower D8

Life Points 16
Initiative 14

Skills
Artistry D4
Athletics D6
Craft D4
Guns D2
Influence D6
Conversation D12+D4
Seduction D8

Linguistics D6
Knowledge D2
Mechanical Engineering D2
Medical Expertise D2
Melee Weapon Combat D2
Perception D6
Performance D6
Pilot D6
Planetary Vehicles D2
Scientific Expertise D2
Technical Engineering D2
Unarmed Combat D2

Natalie Clifford Barney

Mindhazingsquid

I have more questions about traits or the effects of such.   Can you tell me what Mechanical Empathy, Sweet and Cheerful, Math Wiz, Walking Timepiece, Scrawny, Highly Educated and Soft do?  Also is Steady Calm basicly the opposite of Combat Paralysis?
Sorry for all the questions.

Max

No problem.  Yes, Steady Calm is the opposite of Combat Paralysis. 

For the others, will try to get a more detailed description up later, time is short for me now.

Mechanincal Empathy-  You can tell what is wrong with a piece of machinery, and get a bonus to you skill roll to fix it.  Can get expensive, will cost you Plot Points to use. 
Sweet and Cheerful-  You are a ray of sunshine in a cold and lonely verse.  Give a bonus in social interactions.
Math Wiz-  You don't need a calculator to figure out the umpeenth decimal point of pi. 
Walking Timepiece-  You know what time it is, and how much time has passed since a certain event. If you were told to wait 10 minutes before doing something, you will know when that 10 minutes is up without the use of a watch.
Highly Educated-  Lots of book learning, gives a bonus to Knowledge skills.
Soft-  You feel pain more easily than others.  You if were actually wounded, you would have to roll to keep from wailing and carrying on.
Scrawny-  You're skinny.  You would take a penalty to Strength based Athletic skills and in social interactions where physical fitness might be an issue.

Ons and offs:

Mindhazingsquid

Kara Yuen
Mechanic
Traits
Assets
Mechanical Empathy (minor)
Sweet and Cheerful (Minor)
Complications
Memorable (minor)
     Memorable for her outragious dress style
Ego Signature (minor)
     Any machines she works on she will always try to make them better.  Since she tries to keep up with the latest technologies along with old ones the same parts will be modified
Attributes
Agility: D12
Strength: d6
Vitality: D8
Alertness: D8
Intelligence: D12
Willpower: D8
Life: 16
Initiative: D12+D8
Skills
Mechanical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12
     Maintenance: D12+D4
Technical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12
     Make/Alter Device: D12
Unarmed Combat: D6
     Tai Chi: D12
Athletics: D6
     Swimming: D10
Covert: D6
     Open Locks: D10
     Disable Device: D10
     Sabotage: D10

I'll go into more detail later if this character is okay.

Natalie C. Barney

Ooooo coool someone to fix her SYBIAN when it needs repairs.  ;)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Astalinnon

Note to self:

Change name to SYBIAN.

Mindhazingsquid

Erm, what's a SYBIAN again?  Hah hah

Max

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on April 26, 2006, 10:00:39 PM
Ooooo coool someone to fix her SYBIAN when it needs repairs.  ;)

Ok, answers one question I had. 

mindhazingsquid, looks good.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

MAX its not like my character NEEDS the money she is a Companion because she likes it and to keep busy plus gives her more contacts. And its better to say she works as a Registered Companion over "I just sit around and live off my familys money doing nothing". LOL

And the money is still good.  ;)

A SYBIAN is a sexual toy with various dildo attachments and setting a woman can mount, its big and rests on the floor or other sturdy surface and has multiple settings and vibrates the whole pelvis of the woman. Yes its pricey but she can afford one. Of course a more modern version. Can you say a guarenteed orgasm though and is very comfortable one can add pillows for the knees and move around on it as it suits the woman!

Plus it can be useful for her work a deductable expense.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on April 27, 2006, 10:57:17 AM
Plus it can be useful for her work a deductable expense.

*Just wonders what a Companions deduction's worksheet for their tax form would look like.*

So, far, the character's look good.  We are working on a pilot, we have a mechanic, and Companion, and a hired gun.  And, if I am not mistaken, a doctor?

Okay, now maybe a little backstory, how y'all all fit together.  I was thinking something like this.  Saranii, has headed out towards the Rim to get away fom the Core worlds and away from her family.  Stopping at Persophone (sp?), she acquires a Firefly to take her around to meet clients.  That way, she can maintain her independence, instead of working for someone else by shipping out on a liner.

Having acquired said ship, she gets a crew, pilot, mechanic, to help run the ship, a gun man to keep everyone safe.  The Rim can be dangerous, or so she has heard.  Pirates, thieves, cutthroats, even those mythical Reavers. 

The Firefly would look alot like Serenity, including a passanger dorm and medical bay (which are not standard, or so I take it from my reading on Fireflys.  Serenity served as a medical ship before being sold off as surplus after the war).  One thought, was that Saranii would let the crew carry cargo and passengers as long as it did not interfere with her plans.  Is this okay with everyone?

Oh, I may include an NPC or two on the ship.  Will decide what role (extra gunman, or just general crew member) later.  They would be there mostly as backup, to help round up the crew, and in case someone wants to join the game, and we are in the middle of something.  I have never been fond of, "You are wandering thru the dungeon, and you turn the corner, and there is so-and-so's character."  Once the group was in a place I could add the newbie, they would bring in their own character.

One other question, name of the ship?  Had thought SYBIAN was, but now, not so sure.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

Note she will work with the captain all she need to know is WHERE they are going with enough lead time to put the importmation on the Cotex Guild Net sp clients will know she is available. Odds are she let it out many months ago she was going to be working in the Rim so interested parties can keep tabs. Remember money for her is not a biggy her free tap into her trust will pay for the lease of the shuttle and incidentals like her board. And she is willing to help the captain a Companion with Friends in High Places, a Good Name and all can drop his name to see if anyone is interested in hring the ship. So he may find cutting her a deal on the lease will be great for business later on.  ;D

And she would like to get a pool of regular clients going for quality over quantity- and good role-playing.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Okay, just a quick primer on the game mechanics.

As I said before, Serenity uses dice steps.  They start a D2, then go to a D4, then D6, then D8, then D10, then D10+D2, then D12+D4, and so on.  Sometimes you will get a step bonus (or penalty).  That will increase the die you roll by that much.  A bonus of one would increase a D6 to a D8 (and a penalty would decrease it to a D4).  A two step bonus would increase the D6 to a D10 (and a two step penalty would drop it to a D2).  A D12 with a step bonus of one would increase it to D12+D2.  And so on.

Most actions will roll an Attribute die and skill die, and add the results together.  An example, someone with an Agility of D8, and Guns of D6, were to shoot at someone, they would roll D8, and a D6, and add the results together.  The number you are trying to beat is the difficulty number, and starts at 3 (Easy), and goes up by 4.  Average (7), Hard (11), Formidable (15), Heroic (19), Incredible (23), Ridiculous (27), and Impossible (31).  If you beat the difficulty by 7 or more, you get an Extra Success (for example, causing someone even more hurt on an attack roll).  Note, if all the die you roll come up 1's, that is a Botch, and can really hurt (don't Botch when using a hand grenade).

Complex Actions.  Here, the numbers you need to beat will be higher, but you keep a running total.  Each time you roll, a certain amount of time passes, when your rolls have beaten the number needed, you suceed.  

Plot Points.  These are your way to change the story in so way to your benefit.  Everyone will start with 6 Plot Points.  You can have at most 12 Points.  Anything over 12 gets turned into Advancement Points.  They can be used to increase the amount of die you roll.  1 Point spent would let you roll a d2, 2 Points, a D4, 3, a D6, 4, a D8, 5, a D10, 6, a d12, 7, d12+D2, and up to 12 to get a D12+D12.  In order to get the extra die, you have to declare the use of Plot Points before you roll.  You can spend Plot Points to increase your roll after the die is tossed, but then it is a straight 1 Point to increase the roll by 1, but you can spend as many Points as you can afford.

You can also use Plot Points to decrease the damage you take.  Spend a number of Points like you were getting a die roll, say 3 to get a D6, then roll, and deduct that much damage from what you have just taken.  As a further example, you were just hit for 2 Wounds and 2 Stun, and you rolled a 3, you would not take the Wounds, and only take a Stun.  If you rolled a 4, you wouldn't take any damage, and a 5 or 6, no damage, but the rest is lost.  It only effects the damage you have just taken.

You can also use Plot Points to affect the story.  The greater the impact, the more it costs.  

Some Assets may require the use of Plot Points.  Mechanical Empathy, for example, will cost points, the number depending on just how bad the problem is.  Some of the Major versions of Assets would give a bonus of 2 to any points spent.  If you spent 3 Plot Points, and had Major Allure, it would be as you had spent 5.

Another use for Plot Points is to improve your character, buy up Skills, get new ones, increase Attributes, maybe buy off a Complication.  As said, any after 12 become Advancement Points, to be used to improve your character.  Also, if you have more than 6 Plot Points after a session (adventure), the extra become Advancement Points.

Life Points.  This is how much damage you can take.  When you have taken a number of Wounds equal to your Life Points, better hope the will is up to date.  If you take Stun equal to your Life Points, you are out cold.  

One final point.  In combat, if you hit someone, the more you exceede the number you needed, the more damage you do, before you see what damage your weapon does.

Will go into more detail about combat later, but hope this gives some idea of how the game works.  Any questions, feel free to ask.

Ons and offs:

Max

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on April 28, 2006, 08:15:00 AM
Note she will work with the captain all she need to know is WHERE they are going with enough lead time to put the importmation on the Cotex Guild Net sp clients will know she is available. Odds are she let it out many months ago she was going to be working in the Rim so interested parties can keep tabs. Remember money for her is not a biggy her free tap into her trust will pay for the lease of the shuttle and incidentals like her board. And she is willing to help the captain a Companion with Friends in High Places, a Good Name and all can drop his name to see if anyone is interested in hring the ship. So he may find cutting her a deal on the lease will be great for business later on.  ;D

And she would like to get a pool of regular clients going for quality over quantity- and good role-playing.

At the moment, we don't really have a Captain.  That was why I suggested that Saranii be the one to buy the ship.  I was thinking that she bought the ship to transport her around, and maybe lets the crew take on cargo and passengers as part of their salaries. 

Had thought she would want to make her home, or at least, her business, in one of the shuttles, that way she can meet clients while the ship is doing something else. 

Maybe one of the others will be Captain.  As I said, I would prefer the Captain to be a player, maybe have one or two NPCs to fill out the crew.  If no one else wants the job, I guess the Captain could be an NPC.  We will see.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

Oh well that would be a nice investment but she would need a merchant to handle the business end of the ship but if they will make sure the ship is maintained, kept in good repair and doesn't cost her any extra they can divide up the profits giving her a normal share. But in that case they work around her schedule.

But there has to be a Captain she may be the ship owner but she is not exactly merchant captain material.  ;)

So we need someone that can do that she is likely to go with the merchant business like I said as a Companion in the rim even if taking only women and couples work should come along enough. The profession is rare out that far.

So we need a player to do the trading and such. But if she owns the ship it should be easier for her to use her connections and such to get work for the crew.

Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

We will see if a Captain shows up.  At the moment, nobody seems to be merchant captain material.  Or at least, want the job.  If I am wrong, somebody speak up.  Please.

Ons and offs: