Security Risk for Internet Explorer

Started by Hades, April 28, 2014, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hades

Just throwing this article out there for anyone that uses Internet Explorer as their primary browser, since I just came across it.

US Department of Homeland Security warns of Internet Explorer vulnerability

inghippo

yes, 8 april 2014 Microsoft interrupts the support for windows xp.
This means no more update for windows xp.
Internet explorer 6 was native windows xp so no more updates for ie6.

Anyway internet explorer 6 is not more a safe browser from 10 years.
My suggestion is to use another browser like, google chrome, firefox, safari or opera.

for more info why ie6 is a bad browser

CriminalMindsFan

Does just having IE open make you at risk or do you actually have to visit a compromised website in order to be truelly at risk? One of my friends was concerned that just having IE on his computer put him at risk. Neither one of us use IE to browse and if we do probably just for a few minutes on a trusted website.

gaggedLouise

Apparently XP will be included too in the IE patch coming tonight.  :-) They must have sensed it would be too blunt, and too bad PR, to simply leave the gazillions of XP users out of this.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: CriminalMindsFan on May 01, 2014, 01:04:22 PM
Does just having IE open make you at risk or do you actually have to visit a compromised website in order to be truelly at risk? One of my friends was concerned that just having IE on his computer put him at risk. Neither one of us use IE to browse and if we do probably just for a few minutes on a trusted website.

You'd have to visit a compromised page, or at least a page where you click on compromised material hotlinked from a hacked site. Simply surfing around E, your local newspaper, Youtube, your local train network, Walmart and Ebay, major news providers, your ISP's home site and so on (and communicating in those places) should be no risk whatsoever.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: inghippo on April 28, 2014, 12:33:27 PM
yes, 8 april 2014 Microsoft interrupts the support for windows xp.
This means no more update for windows xp.
Internet explorer 6 was native windows xp so no more updates for ie6.

Anyway internet explorer 6 is not more a safe browser from 10 years.
My suggestion is to use another browser like, google chrome, firefox, safari or opera.

for more info why ie6 is a bad browser

Actually, the IE that came with Windows XP could be upgraded to at least version 8.  Been there, did that.  Don't get me wrong - IE sucks, and is best used to download another browser, but stating that there are 'no updates for IE 6' is factually incorrect.  There were IE 7 and IE 8.  IE 9 has a 32-bit mode, as does IE 10, but I'm not sure XP had the system resources to handle them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: CriminalMindsFan on May 01, 2014, 01:04:22 PM

This depends on the vector. If it's via images (which has happened to IE before), then someone could get infected when inevitably some place someone hotlinked an image from gets hijacked.

Given that the vulnerability is apparently due to Microsoft's vml implementation... it would be quite possible for this to occur if someone replaced images on a hijacked site.

This is why we appreciate when people alert us to 'bad site' notifications.