Hanjuku High - Girl's Love, Girl's Love, Girl's Love!

Started by Jadeling, January 03, 2010, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadeling

Hanjuku High is a Private Girls' Academy somewhere in Tokyo. Most of its students come from all over Japan and beyond, and so the school offers student dorms around the campus, including one Boarding House two train stations down the line. The school functions much as any other school, offering high-quality education in most areas as well as private tuition in some classes that aren't generally taught at other schools (nothing dirty - mostly higher-level education courses such as Philosophy, specific musical instruments, etc.)

For some bizarre reason, though, this school hits all the traditional yuri cliches - though not openly, and not to the extent where every single girl is "involved". New students often feel overwhelmed by it, but eventually all learn to regard it as normal. The school itself isn't focused around all this sex and relationships, but it doesn't crack down on it either; officially, the school tends instead to ignore it. Girls explore, meet up, date - openly or not - and experience a relatively normal school life at the same time.

The tone that I want to hit with this game isn't really explicit; rather, it's more shoujo-ai or girl's love focused. Furthermore, I should also note that the viewpoint I personally am taking with it (this doesn't have to apply to you) is very anime-centric; many of my other games are more 'realistic' and I want to take a bit of a break from that here. Recommended reading includes Hanjuku Joshi and Gakojou Drops (both available here, as well as many other manga), as well as Candy Boy and Shoujo Sect.

As you can see, I am a guy, I anticipate having other guys playing, and this is an all yuri game, so there will be cross-gender play involved. If you're uncomfortable with that, this isn't the thread for you. Sorry. Also, to reiterate, this will be female characters ONLY, unless I get hit by something really stunning and/or interesting by someone who is really literate.

I know it's also a little similar to the Triangle Academy or the Maid Hotel but I'm hoping the difference in tone (not to mention the different gender roles) is enough to get an audience.

Anyway, thoughts?

Raveled

O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Caeli

I'm interested. :-) I've been thinking of starting a similar game, similar to Maria-sama ga Miteru but with more of a "real life" feeling, and less anime than what you're proposing.

However, I'd be interested in doing this, and I'll keep myself updated with developments.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Mnemaxa

May join if the other roleplay I applied for falls through. 

Now if I can just get the damned image of the girl I'd want to play out of my head in the meantime....  ~_~'

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Raveled

After sleeping on it last night, I'm thinking an athletic girl.  Someone who's still a virgin, and maybe never thought of having sex with a girl before.  The idea is still percolating...
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Crovonovin

I think this is something I would be interested in.  I'm more comfortable with the tomboy archetype, so that's probably the sort of character I will be creating.  Not necessarily athletic though, Raveled, so there shouldn't be much worrying about an overlap.

Raveled

Something occurred to me: If this is set in a high school, might it not violate the board's rules against underage characters?  A freshman would only be 13 or 14, and a sophomore only 14 or 15.
O|O A|A Ideas

Crovonovin

In this instance I assume we will all be playing late year students, 16 being the absolutely minimum.

Haibane

Japanese high schools take entrants at age 15, they have their 16th birthdays during their first year, graduating after three years aged 18.

If you wanted, the game could be in the first year as long as all players had had their birthdays by then. Or to be 100% watertight, the students could be second years or third.

The Japanese academic year starts on 1st April BTW.

*bows out again*

Jadeling

Due to the magics of narrative causality and metarequirements, all students are above the age of 16 at the absolute minimum. :3

Crovonovin

I also imagine that since you implied the point of the roleplay isn't sexually explicit content, the fact that the characters fall towards the minimum age here on Elliquiy won't prove as great a problem as it might in more deviant plots.

That being said, here is a rough draft for my character!

Name: Arisawa Naoto
Academic Focus: English

Personality:

Naoto is, if her substandard grades and poor relationship with teachers are to be taken as evidence, the archetypical slacker and procrastinator.  Schoolwork is, in her eyes, something that can simply be put off into the last possible moment before being forced out of her skull in a flurry of stress, panicking, and massive amounts of caffeine.  When she actually bothers to stay awake in class it is only through monumental effort on her part, and even then she sees the chalkboard through glassy eyes that would much prefer to be staring out the window or at the massive amount of doodles supplementing the precious few actual notes in her binders.  Despite her total disregard for proper conduct in the classroom and lack of enthusiasm, she just barely manages to scrape by with passing grades for all of her tests.  Just barely, but enough to suggest that at least a modicum of effort is secretly spent ensuring that she will avoid having to repeat a year in order to graduate, and that her parent's money isn't being wasted.

In social situations Naoto is far more animated, though tends to become gradually more subdued if too many people are taking part.  Her wry sense of humor and often vulgar manner of speech turns off some people, though makes her quite popular among those who consider themselves to be the "rebels" of the student body.  She isn't known to take part in any illicit activities like some of the more extreme girls at Hanjuku, but has been known to smoke or occasionally drink on school grounds, albeit not in sight of any school officials.  Though often mellow she is quite easy to fluster or annoy, and if brought to certain points will launch into a spirited tirade that seems wholly out of character with the laid back personality that she tries to project.

Jadeling

Hell, I like it.

Let me try...

Name: Tanaka Masako
Academic Focus: English

Personality:

Masako isn't the best of students, but she's pretty damn close. Quiet and studious in the classroom, the girl gets along well with classmates and teachers alike - enough that she was, just this year, voted Class Representative. She doesn't feel quite ready for the responsibility yet, but if the rest of her classmates have given her this position, then she's not going to upset them all by rejecting it, is she? She's tolerant of others 'rebelling' in their way - illegal under school rules as they may be - but if anything progresses to a chance of someone being hurt she'll do her best to shut it down. Smoking, drinking and - more illicit activities - is fine by her, although she obviously doesn't partake, so long as it isn't harming anybody else.

Despite her timid sounding appearance in class, Masako tends towards being quite blunt in speaking (to the extent where she will occasionally just blurt out something she was merely thinking) and her sense of humour is a little darker than most other's. In social situations she often plays the 'straight man' to another's more vibrant personality, at least until she accidentally says something she probably would have been better off not saying. That said, she really tries to get along with other people, and is for the most part also respected and liked back by most.

She is secretly a bit of a nerd, seeing constant cliches and framing things in TV terms, but she tries her best to keep that from showing. Ever. Except when her mouth betrays her, of course.

Hey, Shilong, how'dya align the image left?

Crovonovin

Raveled

Name Ito Haya
Age 17
Academic Focus Sports!

Personality Haya doesn't have any hard and fast friends, largely because she transferred in just before the start of sophomore year.  She can usually be found either jogging around the neighborhood or exercising in the school's gym.  The few girls that happened to run into her and chatted with the new girl report that she's nice enough, but during school Haya normally retreats into her headphones.  No one has yet worked up the courage to try and crack her shell.

In class, Haya's middling at best.  Her nominal focus in History, but she's a sports nut.  She can wipe the floor with anyone one-on-one in basketball or track, and she can be seen regularly playing against two or three people at once.  She doesn't always win in such situations, but she does well enough.
O|O A|A Ideas

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Raveled on January 05, 2010, 12:50:18 PM
Can't find a good picture.  Where do you folks get yours?  Also, guessing we're going to start the game with the new school year.

Danbooru is a good place to search.  It has a good set of tags so you can usually manage hair and eye color easily, along with school uniforms.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Raveled

Searching for athlete got five responses.  What is wrong with this picture?

Yuri gets... Jesus, 526 pages?
O|O A|A Ideas

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Raveled on January 05, 2010, 01:37:26 PM
Searching for athlete got five responses.  What is wrong with this picture?

Yuri gets... Jesus, 526 pages?

Well, there is This One but it is very not safe for work.

Raveled

It's the same five pictures!!  Are these the only athletes in all of anime?
O|O A|A Ideas

Mnemaxa

Try some other tags.  Sports, gym_uniform, and running might get some hits.

RubySlippers

Have opening for faculty after all a beautiful, sophisticated and popular teacher could be fun. And Yuri often has the older woman and girl relationship thing going in spots. I was thinking someone holding multiple advanced degrees and wrote a great deal in some area like philosophy.

If not a Gamer Girl might be fun a classic fan of card games, computer games and the like.

What does the moderator think?

Crovonovin

I have no objections to the inclusion of teachers, though it may be somewhat difficult to work them into the general goings-on right away.  I know my character for one would sooner chew broken glass than socialize with her teachers!  To start off it might be best if we're all just students, to establish some relationships between one another before introducing someone with actual authority.

Raveled

I have no problem with an instructor being in the cast.  Not everyone has to hang out with everyone else.  Heck, it'd be more realistic if everyone has slightly overlapping social circles.

Will more than one character be allowed?
O|O A|A Ideas

Jadeling

Teachers are fine.

Still looking for more players, though - I'd like around, huh, five maybe to start, and it'd be open to people joining later, 'o course.

More actual ladies wouldn't go amiss, either, though I appreciate that not everybody is comfortable with cross-gender play.

RubySlippers

I was thinking instead of a teacher being a college student who is in her practicum teaching, so would also be a student and not one of the enemy so to speak. A former graduate coming back to educate the next generation in more ways than one. hee hee

I was thinking she would be teaching physical education and health classes but not be a teacher yet. I was thinking someone 21 years old a senior at the university in her last year.

Jadeling

Caeli

I'll need to see if I can find the image to redo my character's name, but here's my profile:

The Basics

Name: Ito Mayumi
Birthdate & Horoscope: O1 November, Scorpio
Height / Weight: 5ft. 6in. (168cm) / 125lbs (57kg)
Sexuality: Undisclosed
Class: 2-1
Academic Focus: Mathematics
Extracurriculars: Student council president, swim team captain

Appearance: Mayumi walks coolly and confidently, her large eyes always seeming to stare off into the distance unless her attention is caught by something – or someone – in particular. She possesses an elegance that is attributed more to her demeanor than her figure, an elegance that she wears well whether she's playing sports or public speaking. She is not shy about her body at all, as she is also a swimmer on the school team.

At first glance Mayu appears fragile and delicate. Her high cheekbones and pert nose complement a sharp chin and large, expressive eyes. She has the “cool beauty” stereotype completely dominated – she turns down most date offers from goukons that her female classmates drag her to and has a maturity that makes her seem older and wiser. Intelligence shines clearly from guarded blue-gray eyes, as does a hint of determination. Many students think that she wears contacts, but she actually inherited them from one of her grandparents.

In school, she wears her wavy dark brown hair tied up; outside of school, Mayu wears her hair loose. She prefers clothing that make her look good, and in which she can move easily; often, her street fashion consists of a simple dress shirt and a pair of slacks, an outfit that is both dressy and comfortable. As previously mentioned, though, Mayu is not shy about her body, and thus will also wear pretty skirts and dresses if the occasion calls for it. She would never be caught being anything less than dressy and professional. In cold weather, she simply adds a turtleneck, scarf, and a black trench-jacket.

Personality: In school, Mayumi is somewhat intimidating, due to her beauty and cool, collected attitude. She is calm under pressure and cool in even the most trying circumstances, but is never afraid to speak her mind and give her opinion. She has a maturity that makes her appear older than her age, and is always quick to defend those who are bullied or are afraid to speak up. For this and various other reasons, she is crushed on and respected by many other girls in Hanjuku, and was elected to the position of student body president despite only being in the 2nd year.

All that she does is inevitably driven with intensity. That very trait is what lends her the magnetism she possesses on any stage, be it speaking in front of her classmates as student body president, playing the violin, or singing in front of an audience. And while she excels at both playing and singing, music is just a hobby - in school, she is simply the well-respected and well-loved student body president, as well as the talented swim team captain.

Though Mayu can usually be very reliable, she is very willful and does things her own way, her own style. She is a very private person, and dislikes gossip. She is slow to anger, but once her temper has flared it is difficult to get her to back off.

She doesn’t like flowers usually, but has a soft spot for cosmos flowers, especially those of the chocolate variety.

Other: Mayu never goes home during holidays. Nobody knows a lot about her family life, except that her parents seem to be out of the picture. It's also rumored that Mayu transferred into Hanjuku from America during the ninth grade (year 1), despite the fact that her Japanese is accent-less and flawless. Through some clever spying, some girls in her fan club discovered that she lives alone, though they have not yet managed to figure out how this is so. In actuality, Mayu works at a modeling agency under contract.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Raveled

O|O A|A Ideas

Caeli

Like I said, I might change her name to something else (Tsukishima Manami) if I can manage to find the original image that I used for this character image (used for an old roleplay on Gaia Online). If I can't, though, I doubt it'll be too confusing, considering how different the two girls are. :-)

Perhaps we should consider creating an OOC thread and a Character Profiles thread somewhere? Which category do we plan to play this story in?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Raveled

Van would be my guess.  If folks want to go Bon, they can create their own little scene.
O|O A|A Ideas

Jadeling

Van is light, right? I never remember the shorthand for all these options.

Caeli

The official designation is Light, not vanilla. :-) The roleplay would go in Light: Small Groups.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Crovonovin

That sounds about right, as we don't seem to be going very heavy with the sexual content.  I'll probably be working on Naotos sheet a bit (since Caeli has provided one that is far more satisfactory!), so a profile thread would be nice as well.

Jadeling

I'll set one up tonight then. Just wait on a little more interest until then.

Jadeling

RubySlippers

PIC: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/File:242d71b180ebdba195ddec6477e464be.jpg

Name: Miss Miri Tanaka

Academic Focus: Teaching Major - Health Science and Physical Education (Tokyo Teachers University)

Classes Taught: Physical Education, Health & Fitness for Life (new class, mandatory to take once per student) *under supervision in all areas by the faculty*

Sexuality: Lesbian

Personality/Other Info: A dedicated teacher and expousing the benefits of a sound body to lead to a sound mind she is part of the mandatory push for one physical education class a term, health and fitness education. She is kind hearted but strict when needed, is a student yet so is working hard to impress and being "home" she feels nice teaching the next generation of exceptional young women. Is a free-thinker and although loves her current focus feels a mind is a terrible thing to waste and reads a great deal in everything she can get her hands on. Her electives in college was rather eclectic with a focus on classical studies East and West. In fact she wants to earn a related degree to that later on and get her masters degree.

Jadeling

Find a picture and stuff it into the character thread!

Crovonovin

I'd say we could probably get things underway now, and if more people want to join later they can.  Opinions?

ReijiTabibito

No, wait!  Don't start yet!  I'm interested, and I need to submit a profile!

Crovonovin

ReijiTabibito

Geez, this is difficult.  Most of the stuff I'm running into on danbooru is fanart of anime...so very little original material.

RubySlippers

I don't know how to add a pic like the others did. I know how to do some things on a computer but am no expert.

Crovonovin

Well, what sort of character are you looking for?

Also RubySlippers, you need to upload whatever picture you want either to a site like Photobucket or to the Elliquiy Wiki.  Then copy and paste the url, highlight it, and click the little "Mona Lisa" icon just beneath the "B"old button.

ReijiTabibito

Well, I don't have the full picture for Caeli's character, but I've been noticing that the character pictures so far show people with slender to average builds...so I'm looking for someone on the generous figure 'end' of things to 'round out' the ensemble.

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Jadeling

Uh... I think probably, actually. Hanjuku might be tolerant of relationships that don't result in obvious image, but a pregnant schoolgirl at a prestigious private academy is going to raise a lot of eyebrows and media attention.

A teacher or staff member, on the other hand...

RubySlippers

Just have the school have a mandatory abortion policy.

Carlissa

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 09, 2010, 01:40:27 AM
Just have the school have a mandatory abortion policy.

Umm, I don't think a school would have a mandatory abortion policy. To order students to kill their babies if they get pregnant just isn't...right.

And plus, what is the point of calling myself "Mistress of Pregnancy" if I go around and abort my babies all the time> xD
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Crovonovin

I think what Jadeling was trying to say is that this story's focus is going to be more about light-hearted, if sexual, feminine interaction, and that the addition of a pregnancy might complicate the narrative we're going for.

Carlissa

Well, if it was going to complicate the story, then why not just say so? I'm not going to ask to be pregnant if I'm going to have an abortion three posts later. There would be no point in that. If I was going to have an abortion than I wouldn't have asked to be pregnant in the first place.

So if you guys don't want a pregnant girl to be in the RP, please just say so so I could quietly leave...

Jadeling

I don't mind pregnancy as such, but a pregnant student would, as friend Shihong says, complicate the narrative. A pregnant staff member is fine, if that's the way you want to go.

The abortion thing was likely to be a joke, by the way. Obviously I can't speak for RubySlippers, but...

Carlissa

Oh...I was talking about a pregnant student.

Never mind then! (Don't take that as a threat or offencively, please. I got like 15 other RPs I need to deal with lol)

Zeitgeist

This is right up my alley. I'll have to do a little reading though it seems. Would love to participate  if you'll have me :)

Jadeling

Sure, come right in!

I think I'll start a thread after the next Char Thread post, that cool with everybody? And of course we'll still be taking people; this ain't a closed school, yo!

Wraith

I would like to play here! Do I just make up a character profile and post it in the character thread?
Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

Jadeling

Yes please~!

Baring unforeseen consequences, I'll try and get the post up tonight, so we can get started!

We need more nice ladies though! :3

Crovonovin

Wraith

Surreal's sweet obsession <3

Wraith's Disappearance Act (A/As)

Jadeling

Thread's up, kiddos!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=58019.0

Now tell your lady-friends to get in on the action too! I was actually hoping for an even split, but we're not quite near that right now.

Regetta Rose

Name - Tsukino Kirie

Age - 17
Academic Focus- Music
Personality- Born and raised in sunny Okinawa, Kirie has a deep tan and sunbleached hair, which makes her stand out amongst most girls in Tokyo. Her mother has remarried a Tokyo businessman and thus she has been relocated to Tokyo where she now attends an elite school, and she sure as heck feels out of place in such a posh environment.

She is pretty petite sized, but loves to lug around her cello-case whenever she has practice. She has a rather distant personality despite being from Okinawa, and would usually keep to herself and not speak unless spoken to. She is rather rough and tomboyish in her actions, but her language is peculiarily polite and not in tune with her actions, perhaps because she is not really comfortable with speaking kanto Japanese. She absolutely has no talent in math or science, but is pretty proficient in English having perfected it by listening to American GIs based in Okinawa.

Jadeling

Dump her in the character thread and you can go straight to posting in the main thread! :3