News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Another World [EX!]

Started by DarklingAlice, April 15, 2012, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

I am not certain precisely what prompts this idea; though I am sure that a recent film that returned me to the Barsoom of my childhood has something to do with it. I find that the genre of "planetary romance" or "sword & planet" as it is sometimes called to be vastly underutilized in the modern milieu. Which is a shame when it has such a grand potential.

So, let's get pulpy.

Just one of many possible ideas follows:

It's Paris in 1923, and Emma Walker is a member of the lost generation: an American expat spiraling down into a future that will lead to nothing but gin-fueled cirrhosis and despair. She was married at 18 and widowed by the Great War at 22. It didn't take long after that for her to want to put as much distance as she could between herself and her native Texas soil. She wandered Europe and the Orient, searching for something she could never quite enunciate; delving into occult lore and emergent science with equal fervor.

Until one evening she attends a salon on the recently published work of Theodor Kaluza. Alcohol, opium, and jazz mingle with higher order mathematics and electrodynamics. A magic circle from the Golden Dawn is laced with equations by Minkowski and Einstein, and Emma sees the whole of space-time open before her like a cracked egg.

When she awakes, it is beneath another sun and another sky. The young human has been transported far beyond her world, and has no idea if or how she can ever return. Not that she'll have much time time to worry about anything above basic survival once she begins to encounter the local flora and fauna...

There are a number of ways we can take this, and I am quite open to hearing your spin on the exotic and weird word on which our heroine finds herself! Some things that I would particularly like to emphasize are:
-Danger: This strange new world should be filled with perils! Even things which seem beautiful and safe should have a dark undercurrent just waiting to trap a careless Earth woman.
-Objectification: The creatures and people she encounters should want to use Emma, whether it be as food, as a fertile womb, as a source of physical labor, as a collection of holes for physical pleasure, or anything else you care to devise. It should be rare that she find anyone viewing her as the sentient individual she is or ascribing her with any rights to her own will or flesh. Even most erstwhile allies should be dedicated to extracting some (likely carnal) benefit from her.
-Savagery: This links into the first two, but the new world should be an inherently savage place. Survival is the primary goal and the passions and people are crude, dark, and unyielding. It should always be in question whether our young Earthling can change this world for the better or whether it will ruin and shatter her humanity.

To be absolutely clear, I would be playing Emma and my partner would be controlling the world and its bizarre inhabitants. I certainly hope that if you are reading this you find yourself interested in the challenge!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

DarklingAlice

* DarklingAlice pulls this idea down from the shelf and blows the dust off.

So, this lead to a couple of really fun story leads, but everything unfortunately fizzled a long time back. I'm hoping that there are still people out there interested in it that can put up with my highly sporadic, grad school induced, posting schedule!

I should also add that since the wheels of time have turned I am no longer as adamant that I play a female character if potential partners would prefer otherwise (though I still would want my character facing the same horrors and risks!).
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.