Army of the Damned (5e, Innistrad, Interest check?)

Started by TheRaven, December 23, 2015, 06:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRaven

Army of the Damned

"Brian... I want Brian..." "Caboose, it says brains, not Brian!"

Quote from: A Planeswalker's Guide to InnistradWhen the light fades and the moon rises over Innistrad, humanity becomes the universal prey.

Packs of werewolves emerge like the tide, drawn out by the moon, their humanity washed away by animal rage. The vampire families bare their fangs at the scent of human blood. Hordes of the walking dead lurch across the manors and moors, driven by an innate hunger for the living. Alchemically created abominations twitch to life in alchemists' laboratories. Geists haunt the huddled human towns and terrify travelers along the dark crossways in between. From Innistrad's deeper chasms, powerful demons and impish devils plot humanity's downfall, their influence spreading into all echelons of human society.

I'm going to be running a fan-produced module, aptly titled Army of the Damned, and I wanted to see if anyone on E was into this sort of thing. Side-note, smut can be present, but will not be the focus.

Character Creation
Suggested Bonds -- these replace the one from your Background
  • The Church of Avacyn has hired you to make contact with Katarina Brunn, a musical prodigy living in Shadowgrange, whom  they have not heard from in months. You must find her and/or  retrieve an artifact that was under her care.
  • Your cousin, Siegfried Reinholdt, has fled from his home in Shadowgrange under mysterious circumstances, and the deed to his property has passed to you. Whatever you choose to do with the shop, you must travel to Shadowgrange to sign the necessary papers.
  • You have infiltrated the ranks of the demon-worshipping Skirsdag cult. The cult has found out about a secret plan that the Church of Avacyn is carrying out, something involving an artifact being held by a woman named Katarina living in Shadowgrange. You are under orders to investigate the artifact.
  • Sielda Reishaf, an elder of the Avacyn Church and your foster parent, has entrusted you with an important mission: travel to Shadowgrange and find Katarina Brunn. If she is missing, then retrieve the artifact she was holding, a so-called "tuning fork."
  • Your close childhood friend, a cathar named Axel Becken, has  never returned from a Church mission to Shadowgrange.  To find out what happened to him, you must travel to the village.
  • The holy tomb of Saint Traft, one of the most righteous and celebrated cathars to walk the land, is located in Shadowgrange. You've decided to make a holy pilgrimage to the saint's tomb, where it's said visitors occasionally receive aid in the form of prophecy and omens.
  • Every few nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams where the holy city of Thraben is overrun by fiends and undead. Each time, the dream ends with you holding a strange object in your hand and a silver monument shattering in front of you, releasing a flood of light that cleanses the city. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Shadowgrange, convinced that the object of your dreams is there.
  • You remember little of what has led to this point. What you do remember is a foggy but strong sense of regret and a clear vision of a silver heron telling you to seek out an artifact named the Strionic Resonator in the village of Shadowgrange.

If you're unfamiliar with the lore of Innistrad, it is a player-favorite among settings for Magic: the Gathering, and is even getting another block of cards set there in the very near future. In a nutshell, it's Gothic Horror: the Plane. There's some weird, incestuous cross-pollination probably happening between this and Ravenloft since WotC owns them both, but that's beside the point. This is A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad, and is going to be the reference that all players get. Depending on where your character is from, you'll get more parts beyond the Introduction to read based on region.

If you have questions, comments, snide remarks, or want to express interest, feel free to post here.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Rajah

This is a pretty great setup. Innistrad is a wonderful setting just begging to make the transition to tabletop, and your pitch is good. I'm into all of that stuff.

Unfortunately, I have to ask, and this is a binary for me: are you absolutely 100% committed to rolled stats?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

HopeFox

This looks really interesting! Innistrad reminds me a lot of the Theah setting from Seventh Sea. And Ravenloft, naturally.

I'm intrigued by the idea of playing a Kessiger, maybe a paladin with a very stoic, down-to-earth approach to religion.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

TheRaven

I'm not married to rolled stats, it's just how I typically go. If you'd prefer to do point buy or a stat array, feel free.
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

ShadowFox89

>Innistrad
>5e

Sign me up :D

I suppose having a more intimate knowledge of the M:tG setting won't be too helpful?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Rajah

Quote from: TheRaven on December 23, 2015, 01:07:21 PM
I'm not married to rolled stats, it's just how I typically go. If you'd prefer to do point buy or a stat array, feel free.

Awesome! Full interest, then. Maybe a Nephalian Charlatan rogue, taking up the Skirsdag infiltrator hook, which I like.

ShadowFox89

I wonder if there's any way I could convince you to let me play an Elf or Kor from Zendikar >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DomJoe

Is the original bog standard huamn and its variant still selectable? Or is it just from the pdf you linked? I will need to read more before deciding if I want to try and throw my hat into the ring.

Hexed

Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a try. Hopefully I can dredge up some stuff from when I did play Magic.

That said... What's an undying light warlock? As the warlock class always seems to draw my attention. :)

Revelation

Quote from: Hexed on December 23, 2015, 09:31:36 PM
Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to give it a try. Hopefully I can dredge up some stuff from when I did play Magic.

That said... What's an undying light warlock? As the warlock class always seems to draw my attention. :)

They're from the sword coast adventurers guide, warlocks with an undead patron.

DomJoe

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 23, 2015, 10:48:24 PM
They're from the sword coast adventurers guide, warlocks with an undead patron.

Actually, they're the Positive Plane patron from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana. It's already linked in the OP. There is an undead patron in Swords Coast, but it goes by a different name (one that I can't remember/bring up at this time)

TheRaven

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 23, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
I wonder if there's any way I could convince you to let me play an Elf or Kor from Zendikar >.>

If I like the way this goes, I'm considering writing my own Zendikar module, and that would definitely work then. For now though, your stuck with the humies.

Quote from: DomJoe on December 23, 2015, 09:03:29 PM
Is the original bog standard huamn and its variant still selectable? Or is it just from the pdf you linked? I will need to read more before deciding if I want to try and throw my hat into the ring.

Standard and variant humans from the CRB are on the table as options, yes.

Chulanowa

Bringing back memories of the 3.5 game I ran set in Ulgothra  ;D

I'm interested, time allowing.

Hexed

Quote from: DomJoe on December 23, 2015, 10:53:17 PM
Actually, they're the Positive Plane patron from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana. It's already linked in the OP. There is an undead patron in Swords Coast, but it goes by a different name (one that I can't remember/bring up at this time)

Okay. Now I feel stupid as I'd not realized those were links. :)

Supposed to be short day at work so I'll go through those when I'm off.  Thank you!

ShadowFox89

Another question, for undying light warlock is it possible to grab an angel patron?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DomJoe

Quote from: Hexed on December 24, 2015, 06:03:25 AM

Okay. Now I feel stupid as I'd not realized those were links. :)

Supposed to be short day at work so I'll go through those when I'm off.  Thank you!

Don't feel too bad: The undead patron is in fact called The Undying. It is very confusing if you don't know where the source material is coming from. They probably should have called it The Lich, or given the Positive Plane a different name, maybe something like The Eternal Light.

This setting is kinda interesting... I think I'll roll for it.
At 2015-12-24 10:04:07, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 13
At 2015-12-24 10:04:03, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 8
At 2015-12-24 10:03:59, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 16
At 2015-12-24 10:03:40, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 8
At 2015-12-24 10:03:33, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 16
At 2015-12-24 10:03:28, Innistrad rolls (uid: 56382) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 11

Two 8's... welp. I have alot of thinking to do with this one.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

DomJoe

Are there going to be any other languages other than Common? I'm thinking of going with a Guild Artisan background, and that grants me an extra language.

ShadowFox89

As far as I know, innistrad just has one language.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheRaven

Quote from: DomJoe on December 24, 2015, 01:04:38 PM
Are there going to be any other languages other than Common? I'm thinking of going with a Guild Artisan background, and that grants me an extra language.

Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal can all theoretically come into play.

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 24, 2015, 10:45:34 AM
Actually. .... warlock with Sorin as my patron?

For Undying Light? Maybe. I'd have to do some thinking on that one. Angel is definitely okay though.

HopeFox

So I've definitely settled on a Kessiger paladin with the Folk Hero background. He will look more like ranger in his equipment and lifestyle, heavily emphasising Dexterity rather than Strength. Can I trade in the standard paladin chain mail for studded leather armour?

EDIT: Also, if we choose point buy, is that the standard 27 points?
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

DomJoe

I will be making a Nephalian Rogue, who will be getting a small splash in Bard soon enough.

Sheet is under construction, but here's what I have so far: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=659791
Official character submission will be coming soon, but as a taste, this guy has his hands in all the cookie jars, so to speak. Works for a guild by day, wheels and deals in the black market by night to anyone willing to buy, including the Skirsdag cult.

Name: Richard Truss
Nationality: Nephalian
Appearance

Backstory: Richard Truss is a man who's always in the mix of things, and who firmly believes that having flexibility with those you deal with is best for business. He grew up surrounded by the business of the Shipright's guild, and he took the business rather quickly, making sails and charts for the guild when he was eligible to become an official member himself. But as the world began to devolve into chaos, Richard began to get himself involved in more relevant and lucrative businesses. Namely, he began to deal with the Skirsdag cultists in secret, supplying them with information, supplies, even maps of the surrounding area to help them with their work, all so he could keep himself protected and well funded. Always looking for a new source of income, Richard kept his ears open for any rumors of valuable artifacts that could be sold to the highest bidder, and when he caught wind of the Strionic Resonator, he knew that he needed to have it, regardless of what it did or did not do.

Landshark

Is this to be a traditional adventure based game or survival type?
I think I missed a few things so lemme ask...sorry...
1 what lv characters?
2 races/classes not allowed?
3 (not really a question) please tell me this is a non evil game.

Rajah

Quote from: Landshark on December 25, 2015, 03:53:25 AM
Is this to be a traditional adventure based game or survival type?
I think I missed a few things so lemme ask...sorry...
1 what lv characters?
2 races/classes not allowed?

Answered in the OP.