News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Scourge of Shadowlore Keep (Councillors win!)

Started by Remiel, June 06, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

"You're right, I cannot stay silent.  This is too important."  That was easy enough to say, but it did not help solve the problem of who to vote for, and there Val was still deeply uncertain.  Her mistake during the last vote had been too terrible, and she no longer trusted herself.

"This is a difficult decision, with no clear indications of guilt pointing to anyone.  I can understand honest confusion and indecision, since I certainly feel enough of both myself.  What I cannot understand is why anyone would vote for the one person who has seemed innocent since the beginning.  Have you forgotten that Lady Weber was among the first to suspect Starlequin?

"I am still uncertain, and perhaps I will have another terrible mistake on my conscience, but I must speak, and cast my vote for Beguile's Mistress.  I can only pray that I am correct."
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Eight:

Beguile's Mistress (3): FoamWeber, Rhedyn, Valerian
Foamweber (2): Ryven, Beguile's Mistress

All was tense at the Councillor's Table.  There were two who had seemed to act suspiciously, two who had drawn the attention of the Councillors as they debated who among them was most likely to be a monster.  The King was at a complete loss, listening to the accusations being tossed back and forth, finding merit in both arguments.  It seemed as if both Beguile's Mistress and FoamWeber were innocent, unjustly accused of savage crimes.

In the end, however, there needed to be a scapegoat, and Beguile's Mistress drew the vote by the slimmest of margins.  Though he was loath to do so, King Gregorii ordered for her head to be taken.

Beguile's Mistress lowered her head, as the guardsmen came to march her to the courtyard, as if in sorrow and silent acknowledgement of her fate.

But then she raised it, and shrieked, a shrill, piercing cry echoing throughout the hall.  Her eyes glowed unnatural and red, and her fangs grew before their very eyes--she was a curséd vampire!  Screaming, she fell upon them, clawing and biting with supernatural strength.  Two guards fell beneath the horrible onslaught before the cold iron of a glaive pierced her heart.  She was quickly staked and cut to pieces, the corpse burned to leave no trace of resurrection. 

"One more nightwalker falls!" announced the king.  "We are almost quit of this scourge!"  And it was a good thing, too, for only four good Councillors remained...

Night has fallen yet again, although the dawn is, perhaps, within sight.  Vampire, I need your target for the night.  As always, any councillors who have yet to use their charms of scrying may do so at any time.

Remiel

One more vampire, dead--and one more Councillor, too.  FoamWeber had barred her door and shuttered her windows, but even so she could not escape her fate.

Only three Councillors were left now:
Rhedyn, Valerian, and Ryven. This was the final day; one way or another, the long Scourge would come to an end at last.  Either the last monster would be discovered, or the innocents would be too few in number to fight back.  Would the kingdom see peace and sun at last, or would it suffer under darkness for a century?

The day phase has begun.  All votes are due by 12 midnight American EST (9 pm PST) Thursday, August 18.

That Girl Analise

Rhedyn came in more confident than in the last session. She had made an ally... But too late, it seemed. Foam lay dead in her chamber. In a fit of rage and frustration as Ryven came to join them in the court. "You foul beast. I call you out here and now. I believe it is you that killed my friend," she glared at him, and had her sword drawn for her own protection. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Ryven

Lord Ryven simply smirked, a hint of malice in his eyes.  "What do I have to say?"  He began.  "You people are far too trusting.  My word, such a feast."  He said with a slight cackle.  "Dear Lady Weber, so delectable a treat, and Mistress Marguerite, how I savored her essence."  Ryven licked his lips with such enthusiasm in his grim recollection.  "And then there was the dear wolf hunter, Lady Mithlomwen who had been put to such good use.  Once she had ferreted out all the little puppies for us, the only use she had left was for a midnight snack."  He chuckled again.  "And Lady Imogen before her.  Oh, how delicious."  He finally grinned to bear fang and all.  "Dear Lady Kyrsa was my least favorite.  She had the smell of those wretched lycanthropes on her.  She simply had to go."  He slowly sauntered in a semi-circle whilst looking from Rhedyn to Valerian.  "Oh, but my favorite, dear Analise.  Her blood was as sweet as wine, so trusting.  How she revealed to me in trust that she was a councillor with the gift of foresight.  She was just too tempting after that."  He finished, gently tossing his cape over his shoulder to reveal a pale hand with elongated nails upon each finger.

"I suppose you'll be wishing to kill me now," he chuckled.  "Go ahead.  Have fun.  Your beloved kingdom lies in chaos now that the majority of its nobility are dead and gone.  Oh, but don't think you are safe either.  The curse that runs in my veins is not only mine to bear.  If not I then others will have vengeance for my dear friends.  Geeklet and Mistress Beguile will be avenged.  Our poor pet Starlequin too."  He gave a grotesquely shrill cackle, staring at them both with blood red eyes.

Valerian

Lady Val rolled her eyes at this theatrical speech.  "Oh, be quiet," she said, firmly.  "You're already dead, Lord Ryven, or had you forgotten that?  All we can do is cut you up and burn you as we did to your evil allies, and we will enjoy that, believe me.  Now that we know how your kind work, we will remain vigilant, and you foul bloodsuckers will never come so close to defeating us again."  And with that, she prepared to watch impassively as the guards destroyed the creature.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Ryven

"You're right.  We will never come so close again.  Instead we shall just finish you all off."  He spat out at her.  "Cut my body and burn my bones.  My will, however, shall live on."

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Nine:

Ryven (2): Rhedyn, Valerian

Did not Vote: Ryven

As Ryven did not even bother to deny being the last vampire, the choice was easy.  However, determining that he was to be destroyed was one thing; actually managing to do it was something else entirely.    For, as everyone knew, vampires were powerful, and possessed of supernatural strength, incalculable celerity, and could change forms at will.  In addition, they could put regular mortal minds under their sway.

Although the king's knights drew their swords, they found that they lacked the will to attack.  Their blades became as heavy as lead in their hands, and it became a struggle to even stay awake and aware.  Some lapsed into a despondent lethargy, unable to resist the vampire's thrall.

Even the king seemed helpless to resist.  Ryven laughed, his eyes glowing crimson as he stalked the monarch.  "I will enjoy feasting on your blood the most, Your Grace," he said, his fangs growing longer by the second.

However, just then, the two survivors seemed to shake off the monster's hypnosis--Valerian, the last  loyal Councillor, and Rhedyn, the king's trusted Captain of the Guard.  Clutching a vial of holy water, Valerian marshalled her courage and doused the unholy beast--who hissed and shrunk back, his skin melting where the water touched it.  That was all the opportunity that Rhedyn needed, for she rushed forth, wielding a wooden stake and iron mallet, and with a mighty blow, hammered the spike into the creature's heart.

With a mighty wail, Ryven was undone.  The good people of the realm had triumphed; the darkness was gone at last.  King Gregorii, ever grateful, raised both Valerian and Rhedyn to high lordships, and threw a grand feast in their honor.  The dead were not forgotten, as well, for a monument was built in honor of Lady Rottenaim, Admiral Eden, Dame Analise, Lord Mayerling, Count Izu, Lady Imogen, Dame Mithlomwen, Bishop Moirae, Duchess Marguerite, and Lady Weber--fine and noble lords all, who gave their lives in service of the kingdom.  Their memories would be honored, and their sacrifices would not be forgotten.