News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Well, you speak about painting... Right now, painting is just a part of the problem: I can't keep up even with assembling the minis.

I collect Infinity and, while these minis are excellent, they can be a pain to assemble. Maybe my fingers aren't nimble enough, but I can spend over an hour on glueing together a single mini. And I have 200+ minis to assemble...

And, of course, assembling is one thing. But these things need to be washed and cleaned of mold remnants before assembly... then, they need to glued... then, primed... the bases need to be magnetized... then, painting, basing and varnishing... It seems you can spend weeks on a single mini! Agh!

As I said: I'm overwhelmed.

BTW. I was hit with this yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjx4Us-JeU

Gah! I do try to build an ALEPH army. So, this video means there will be seven new models to buy, assemble and paint...

Even more frustratingly, half of them are new versions of troopers I have already assembled and painted. Now it feels like an effort wasted...

Eh, sorry for ranting, people. I just need to vent a little...

TheLaughingOne

Question...

What books or such are needed to start in infinity..?
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Well, the question is: are you interested in just the rules, or also the fluff?

Overall, you need two books: Infinity 3E (AKA N3) and Human Sphere 3E (AKA N3HS). Both of these books are split into a rulebook and a fluff book. And - this is why I really, really appreciate Corvus Belli as a company - both of the rulebooks (the one from N3 and the one from N3HS) are available as free PDFs on the official Infinity website! Of course, if you want to learn about the setting, you'll definitely want to pick the full printed books.

And... that's all you need, actually. In game stores, you can also find a third book, Campaign Paradiso - which deals with some additional rules regarding campaigns. But it's actually a 2nd edition book - so, it doesn't fit with the current rules that neatly. I don't have it, personally, and I don't plan on buying it.

There's also Uprising... which is a new fluff book combined with some missions and new army lists. Its main purpose was to introduce four brand-new factions: the Japanese secessionists and three mercenary companies. Be warned: the fluff in this book is... controversial.  ;D The people who play the Yu Jing factions were quite furious about it...

TheLaughingOne

*nods* i searched a bit more and found the core book bundle sold on their website for like, 80 bucks?

though.. i also saw the same box bundle on ebay for like 45 or something.... and mostly rules and fluff at the moment,
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on July 17, 2018, 03:49:21 PM
*nods* i searched a bit more and found the core book bundle sold on their website for like, 80 bucks?

Interesting, where did you find it? I checked the Corvus Belli online store and I can only see the books sold separately: the N3 set is priced at 60 EUR and the same goes for N3HS.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd buy stuff at the CB store... they seem to use some expensive shipping options. I'm sure these books are available in various gaming stores, too. I bought mine for about 200 PLN each - meaning, about 50 USD for each pair of books.

Anyway, before you invest, you really should check the free PDFs :) Just to see if this game is to your liking. CB is really giving away a lot of stuff for free (rules, troop profiles, tokens, basic terrain... there's even a whole army building app completely for free). Use it! :)

TheLaughingOne

my bad, its the core 2 books, rules and fluff box set thing is what i was talking about, the extra one i havent found, havent looked to much just looking for core base right now.

I did find this thing!

https://army.infinitythegame.com/
Army builder.
My Ons and Offs!

greenknight

Quote from: Beorning on July 17, 2018, 04:05:04 PM
Anyway, before you invest, you really should check the free PDFs :) Just to see if this game is to your liking. CB is really giving away a lot of stuff for free (rules, troop profiles, tokens, basic terrain... there's even a whole army building app completely for free). Use it! :)
Corvus Belli is an old school model company. They're in the business of selling lead soldiers; everything else is marketing and advertising  to get you to spend on the core business.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Pockets

@Beorning - I'm a commission painter. I do it all day, every day. Nothing beats necron models.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Hob

It's sort of depressing. At the mention of "old school modeling", I decided to go look up some of the companies whose minis I used to buy.

They're all gone. Heritage Miniatures, Grenadier, Asgard, Saxon, TSR (naturally), PMC...

Well, not all. RAFM is still about it looks like, although I don't recognize any of their current models. And Prince August if you like casting your own. I guess Ral Partha is owned by Iron Wind or something?

I feel old.

Pockets

@Justric I grew up with the old pewter/lead Necromunda models. I remember saving every nickel, dime, penny, and quarter I could lay my hands on to buy them. I finally got enough to buy two of them and my parents were like.... Uh, no. Spend it on something else.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Hob

Quote from: Pockets on July 17, 2018, 06:07:26 PM
@Justric I grew up with the old pewter/lead Necromunda models. I remember saving every nickel, dime, penny, and quarter I could lay my hands on to buy them. I finally got enough to buy two of them and my parents were like.... Uh, no. Spend it on something else.

My folks encouraged me, actually. They thought it was creative and a good way of keeping me out of trouble. Mind you, it's probably a good thing that they didn't look too closely at some of the Ral Partha or PMC figurines...

This is what I scrapped and saved for:

Heritage Models' "The Great Dragon"  (This one isn't mine. I still have it, but I'm too embarrassed to post it as it's nowhere near as good.)  This sucker is 5 lbs of lead. It's got a 12" wingspan and stands about 200mm... and is in 25mm scale. For the early 80s, that was a lot of lead!

Dhi

Coldfront looks like fun.

TLO, I'm planning to run a small system game using Infinity RPG here on Elliquiy. It's probably only of interest to the handful of us who backed it, but if you're looking to get into the world and a reasonable simulacrum of the wargame rules, it might be of interest to you.

TheLaughingOne

Thanks for advice, will beam the pdfs and give a read!

And if you dont mi d a complete newb Dhi, would be delighted to give a try!!
My Ons and Offs!

Beorning

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on July 17, 2018, 04:15:08 PM
my bad, its the core 2 books, rules and fluff box set thing is what i was talking about, the extra one i havent found, havent looked to much just looking for core base right now.

Yeah, you need to remember that N3 is actually two softcovers in a box-like stiff cover / case. The same goes for N3HS.

Anyway, I'd risk saying that both N3 and N3HS are needed to play... N3HS certainly has rules that supercede some of the N3 stuff. Also, it has new skills, weapons, equipment etc. So, you really do need the rules part of this book. Thankfully, there's a free PDF :) But the additional fluff in this book is interesting, too.

I did find this thing!

https://army.infinitythegame.com/
Army builder.

Yeah, Infinity Army. Very useful thing, especially as it's connected to the official Infinity wiki. It really helps with learning the game.

You might also want to check out the forum on the official website. Lots of helpful people out there.

Quote from: greenknight on July 17, 2018, 05:08:11 PM
Corvus Belli is an old school model company. They're in the business of selling lead soldiers; everything else is marketing and advertising  to get you to spend on the core business.

Maybe, but even so, their approach is much more player-friendly that GW / Citadel's, which seems intent on making the customer pay for just about anything.

Quote from: Pockets on July 17, 2018, 05:54:13 PM
@Beorning - I'm a commission painter. I do it all day, every day. Nothing beats necron models.

Well, if I got paid for working on minis, it'd be much easier to find time for such stuff. :) The way it is, I usually have only one day a week to actually sit down and work on the minis for a few hours... hence, my snail pace of assembly / painting.

Quote from: Pockets on July 17, 2018, 06:07:26 PM

That's the reaction I get my from my family... :\ Even though I'm an adult. Kind of frustrating...

Quote from: Dhi on July 17, 2018, 07:31:25 PM
TLO, I'm planning to run a small system game using Infinity RPG here on Elliquiy. It's probably only of interest to the handful of us who backed it, but if you're looking to get into the world and a reasonable simulacrum of the wargame rules, it might be of interest to you.

Oh, oh, I'd like to play, too!

Sprikut

I should be getting my preview copy of coldfront by the end of the week.  If its anything like the new JSA models they assemble a lot easier than some of the older models.

I'm not sure I'd call Infinity old school. Their rules are incredibly well balanced and the game plays very well. Which is completely unlike any old school game I can think of! :P

The RPG Is super fun, I'd be interested in any game.

Chanticleer

Speaking of Ral Partha, and old school...

Anybody else ever get into that 'dragon of the month' thing they had going? I had a bunch of those. :/
My current O/os (need work)

Hob

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 18, 2018, 12:38:07 AM
Speaking of Ral Partha, and old school...

Anybody else ever get into that 'dragon of the month' thing they had going? I had a bunch of those. :/

Did Ral Parths do that? I thought that was Grenadier. I remember that there were two series, the first each dragon came with a little altar with a gem. The altars formed a circle when put together.  I still have the Silver dragon from the first series and the Forest (or Shire?) dragon from the second.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Justric on July 18, 2018, 05:37:03 AM
Did Ral Parths do that? I thought that was Grenadier. I remember that there were two series, the first each dragon came with a little altar with a gem. The altars formed a circle when put together.  I still have the Silver dragon from the first series and the Forest (or Shire?) dragon from the second.

It may have been! We're talking early-to-mid-80s if I remember right, and my memory of that time period isn't what it used to be. ;)

I had most of them, and got about half of them painted. Took up a goodly portion of my desk space back during my high school days.

Dhi

I've ordered some of Scale 75's Fantasy & Games paint range to give their new vibrant colors a try. They could be very exciting for color mixing, if it's a better medium than Vallejo Game Color.

Pockets

I bought the Scale75 Metal 'n' Alchemy Steel paint set and I love it. The only issue is that they REALLY, REALLY need to be shaken well before use. The pigmentation is so fine that it will separate if left unused for too long. But otherwise I love 'em.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

What are the Alchemy paints, are they opalescent? Iridescent? Just colored metallics? I can't tell from pictures online.

Pockets

Colored metallics so far as I can tell, but they go on so SMOOTH it's unreal. They're thin like airbrush paints but unlike many other airbrush ready metallics, the flakes that make it metallic are so fine that you can't really see it.

Edit: To let you know how much I love the metallics, I'm phasing out my Vallejo metallics (Except a couple Vallejo Metal Color colors) for all my painting, including my commission work.
08/02 - New A/A Update

TheLaughingOne

*snerks*

Look up extra info.. Found this little reference sheet for infinity...

My Ons and Offs!

Chanticleer

Truly a boon to those who can't decide what faction to play.

Sprikut

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on July 21, 2018, 09:30:27 AM
*snerks*

Look up extra info.. Found this little reference sheet for infinity...

that sheet is drastically out of date. there are about 50% resculpts... if you have questions about the game i'm happy to answer. i've got 8 years and ~300 learning games for new players, drop me a pm.