Dresden Files Start up discussion

Started by Older And Wiser, December 18, 2009, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older And Wiser

This is a thread for a discussion of a Dresden Files group game.  I have taken the liberty of putting up some questions originalaly posed by Dark...

Rules/no rules?
Setting?
Types/power level of characters?

Anyone interested, reply with your ideas/answers to the above.

Older And Wiser

Not too big on rules, and it is magic, so the powers are almost unlimited.  I think we would want to keep the characters within the book - wizards, red, white and black court vampires, summer and winter court fairies, etc...  Setting would be present day North America I think.

Phaia

I have only read a bit about the Dresden files, Though I have added them to my list.

The world seems very interesting.

I have for a while had a character idea that might fit well here, not sure. I can PM it to you or post it here.

Phaia

Older And Wiser

please post it here. 

Personally I would like to play either a wizard or a white court vampire.  I need to flesh that out.

Phaia

Her True name would be Cleopatra Selene II Antonius, daughter of the legendary Cleopatra and Mark Antony. She would be the last Ptolemaic Princess of Egypt and an Immortal.

In many ways I base her on the Highlander idea, she heals quickly and doesn't age past her current apparent age of appox 20.

She has been many things over the years, an adventurer, a princess, a slave, even worshipped as a Goddess. Her mother taught her old magics and she learned more over the years and for the most part she has fought the darkness [evil, demons the fallen etc]. A few times she has slipped and she herself has been the evil. She has loved and even had children but none have ever inherited her immortality.

By the time of the Dresden files [which I fully admit I don't know a lot about], she has pushed herself to close to the limits of human ability.

She inherited her father's skin tone, a pale almost alabaster shade and raven colored hair and the deep violet eyes of her mother.

I do not know if she would fit with this and how much more you would like to embellish...I have thought about this idea for some time.

She could very well have enemies...been legendary females of the past, I would think she has wealth but not crazy wealth since she can not see into the future...her magic skills would tend to be from ancient times and maybe a bit forgotten. She could very well have interesting items.

There is a lot more possible if you like the idea

Phaia

HairyHeretic

If you're not familiar with the Dresden Files, there's some useful snippits here

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

The RPG should hopefully be out next summer, but they're publishing background stuff on the website that you could probably use.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Phaia

HMMM!!

The more i read on the Dresden Files the more I like the world, but it also would seem that my character idea would not fit.

Cleopathra Selene does not fit in any of the 'nations' from what I can see. She is not a Vampire nor really a mage [though it is possible she has some very anicent magical training.

Being an Immortal born over 2000 years ago she would predate any of those mentioned. I do see her as keepinga  very low profile for the past 1000 years. Quietly surviving and moving in the world. I would guess she would know a great deal about the supernatural.

I am not sure how the concept would work and thanks Hairy for the link. I have been reading about the 'files' online.

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I've read all the books (bar the latest, which isn't in paperback yet), so I'm reasonably familiar with the world. I didn't want to butt in, as it's not my game, but I'll help you bounce around character concepts if you want.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Older And Wiser

Hairy - feel free to butt in.  I love the series but I am no Jedi on the subject.

I was thinking two potential characters.

Seamus
Seamus is a descendant of Celtic and Druid wizards and warriors.  His family has long used their powers to fight the fallen and other forces that would destroy humanity or cast them into slavery.  Seamus is a large, powerfully built man who fights demons with a battle axe or his blasting rod.  There is nothing subtle about his magical ability, unless you consider rugby a subtle sport. 

His looks scream IRISH.  Red hair, freckles and pale skin.

Annette
Annette is a white court vampire.  She is tall, slender with long dark hair long legs and a figure that puts Victoria Secrets models to shame.  She has gained wealth by causing a large number of wealthy me to become addicted to her, marrying them then quickly sucking away all their life force, inheriting all their wealth. She currently owns a number of "gentleman's clubs" around the US and hunts for her victims there.

HairyHeretic

I'd hardly call myself an expert either :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I am guessing this is not happening then!

Phaia

Insight

Actually.

I've read all the books cover to cover and some twice. I love the Dresden Files! If we want to do a game I would...rather insist...on participating. I could even try my hand at a GM spot, if one is needed.

In game I'd probably be a Warden or some lower-level Councilman. A good question to ask is where in the books this game will take place. Our friend Harry does a good bit of changing history.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

HairyHeretic

That's always the problem with playing in a canon setting ... adjusting your own stories to reflect changes in the setting when new stuff comes out.

If you play in the city the lead characters inhabit, you have a lot of NPCs available and background already created .. this can be both good and bad.

Playing in the same world, but a different city, it does provide more freedom for people.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Insight

The big question is whether or not war has broken out with the Red Court or not. And it probably wouldn't hurt to figure out the status of the Knights of the Templar as well.

For plot's sake, it might be best to pick up in the middle of the war, long before the treachery inside the White Council happens (simply because I don't expect anyone to have read that far. I don't believe the wiki page delves into it).

On and Off Thread

Phaia

This still doesn't answer if my character idea would work!?

I have read a bit on line about the Dresden files and understand what you are saying. and I do have the books on my list of ones to read!

Phaia

HairyHeretic

The only canon characters I can think of who are effectively immoral are the Denarians ... not because they are immortal themselves, Highlander style, but because they play host to an immortal being. In the case of the Denarians, it's a fallen angel.

I would say that your character could become immortal through any of a few different means that have been featured in stories. Unfortunately most of the ones I know off aren't very nice ways to become immortal *grins*

A mystic artifact is always a good choice, but then what happens if they lose it?

Partnership with an immortal being is another option. I ran a character in a Buffy game, a small time thief who stole a sword that a demon had been bound into. Unfortunately the demon, having been held in a buddhist monastary for centuries had gone a little loopy, decided it wanted to be buddhist iself, and had rededicated itself to fighting monsters and evil. My character had the choice of going along with this, or fighting ... and that usually meant he'd end up losing control of his own body, being possessed, and fighting the evil anyway. Unfortunately he couldn't get rid of the sword and demon, so was stuck with the situation.

There's a mercenary character who I think has some kind of supernatural power link as well, but I can't recall if its ever been nailed down exactly what.

Now, if your character is coming from Ancient Egypt, maybe she has some kind of link to the Gods from then.

Another option is rather than living one life, she continues to die and be reborn. Her spirit moves into a new body, taking over that identity, but keeping her own memories. If the body she moves into has suffered some great trauma / near death experience / been clinically dead for a time, then that might explain how the personality would change afterwards. That way it might be the result of a curse she is suffering from.

Do any of those ideas interest you?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Insight

I'm with the above post.

Unlike a lot of series, the Dresden Files are incredibly specific as to exactly what the characters are. It might be best for this particular role to not used a ‘canned’ character and make a new one entirely.

White Court Vampires tend to live for a very long time and are incredibly attractive, if that’s your fancy. They feed on emotions, rather than blood. They are rich and powerful due to their long lines and certainly would attract their share of enemies. The current head of the White Court house is Laura Raith (PM me if so, she ought not to be difficult to impersonate). You could be her, or you could be one of her relatives vying for the throne.

Sometimes mentioned in the Dresden Files are the Fay, or faeries. These are people that live outside Earth and wield a great deal of magic, far more than any wizard. The drawback is that they are bound both by their respective kingdom (Summer or Winter) and by their need to always speak the truth. The fay don’t have enemies so much as obligations. They always want to bargain or negotiate, and tend to not spend much time on Earth.

And, of course, you could be a Wizard. This opens up the door to just about anything you want to make it.

If you want to stick to your previous character, I would suggest the White Court Vampires. You could even talk about an Egyptian house in Cairo or another urban center, but it would still have to be submissive to the main house in Chicago.

On and Off Thread

HairyHeretic

I would advise against taking a very important canon character if you're not pretty familiar with the series though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 28, 2009, 10:09:28 AM
Now, if your character is coming from Ancient Egypt, maybe she has some kind of link to the Gods from then.

As you know Harry from the scion idea, I have no problem having her linked to the Egyptian gods, just was not sure how that would work. Researching Bastet got me looking at Cleopatra and then that she actaully had children, 3 in fact one with caerser and twins with Mark Antony. There are records about The twins but they are a bit vague. The main one being they were brought into Rome in a great processiion and wearing golden chains. at the time they would have been around 10 if i have the dates right. The idea of Cleopatra Selene kinda at the time bounced in my head. Being a blonde it did hurt a bit  :o  ;)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 28, 2009, 10:09:28 AM
Another option is rather than living one life, she continues to die and be reborn. Her spirit moves into a new body, taking over that identity, but keeping her own memories. If the body she moves into has suffered some great trauma / near death experience / been clinically dead for a time, then that might explain how the personality would change afterwards. That way it might be the result of a curse she is suffering from.

This idea might work every well, in some data She and her brother were both killed after arrived. In other she was married off and lived in Africa. There have been females that claimed desent from her in Africa and that area. Perhaps she was cursed by the Egyptain gods or being the last female of the Ptolomy line and last born [assuming her twin brother was first born] anyway I am kinda tossing out concepts and looking at things. If she doesn't fit here thats find it is just a concept I have had for a while one that I think could be very intertesting.

Phaia

Older And Wiser

I was away in the mountains for the holidays and ducked out for a bit.  If I can summarize what appears to be a consensus, we should be in the midst of the red court war, but in a city other than Chicago How about Seattle?  I am there on business now and I can tell you that at this time of year the grey somber thing is here big time.  Plus with all the rain it would make disapating spells interesting.  Folks can play any type in the canon (e.g. vampire, wizard, etc).  Does that cover it?

politicallyINcorrect

I'm interested in RPing a little Dresdenverse.  I see that there aren't any Denarians being claimed, but I would be more than happy to put in a claim on one of them.  Probably an OC.
I'm back-ish.  Finals week, yuck!
On's and Off's

Insight

On and Off Thread

Dizzied

I've read all but the latest book in this series...very exciting reads.  :D

I might be interested in playing a Denarian, too, if there's room left and you'd allow it.   Failing that, I could play the white court vampire I used in the last Dresden game I was in. 

Insight

I guess it would all depend on the plot we choose?

I'm not in charge here, so I'll leave that question open. That said, we could probably do something just like that.

On and Off Thread

Older And Wiser

OK
let's get started.

The scene is a generic North American City, not Chicago, in the midst of the Red Court War.  That way no one needs to understand any local geography. 

Please set out the character you would like to play.  There has been a great deal of interest in Fallen Angels, so we may need to limit the number of folks playing that type.  Several magical communities have moved there to get out of the line of fire and are banding together to keep the red court and white court out and preserve the local peace.  The Denerians are trying to use the location as a safe house as well.

Here is the sheet:
Name:
Type (Wizard, red court, white court, etc):
Physical Description or photo:
Magical Description or special powers (e.g. standard White Court, White court plus wizard, etc)
Anything else of note or that should be mentioned.