Buffy the Vampire Slayer Request

Started by Malkavian, March 26, 2020, 09:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

I've been hankering for a long time to find a group to play a Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG with. To clarify, this is the Buffy the Vampire Slayer system game rather than free-form, though I wouldn't be opposed to the later either.

Ideally, I'd like to either play a city/town's Slayer who's been awakened after the events in Sunnydale, or perhaps even the Blonde One herself (depending on whether people would rather keep it to canon or OCs).

Does this idea interest anyone? Any Directors/GMs out there interested in running a game for a girl (and, hopefully some Scoobies!)?

Silas Wolf

I know nothing about the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. But I would be up to playing an OC in a free-form of this game world. I loved the movie as well as the tv show. I had always seen myself as the outsider type like Xander or maybe Oz
Signature by Amaris
My Dice roller ID is 73705

Green Goo Theory

I'd be interested in playing.  Never even knew that an RPG system existed for this (I think?  May have just forgotten) so I'd have to find it to learn it.  I'm leaning towards OC's but not opposed to having a mix if someone wanted to stick with a canon character. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

I'd be interested either in Buffy or a village/town's OC Slayer.

Green Goo Theory

Just for some clarification are you interested in a "current" older Buffy, Teen Buffy, and if you're using Buffy do you only want the original scoobies or new scoobies and/or a mix of scoobies? 

Just to help narrow stuff down if it sticks to Buffy over your OC slayer. 

Also, what's the name of the Buffy RPG?  Is it this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffyverse_role-playing_games ???
Coming soon...

Malkavian

A picture of the second edition rules cover is below:

If Buffy, I'd love to interact with the original gang but wouldn't object if the Blonde One ended up with another group - either in Sunnydale, or after it. I have a character in mind for OCs, with this new Slayer either being one awakened after Buffy died completely (alternate universe?), or one awakened after Willow did her magics.

Lachiyous

Mmm.  And just what would be a Miss Summers without Angelus ("Angel") himself, right? ;)

...man, I haven't watched the show in forever!  Sooo good though. 

Would this be a "roll-a-die" kind of thing then, instead of just.......writing, Miss "Malkavian"? 

Malkavian

If someone runs it with the rulebook, yes. I'm happy either way, but personal preference is for the rulebook, which has stats for all of the canon characters if we're going that way.

And I love Buffy and Angel. Love Spike too, but Buffy and Angel is king.

Lachiyous

Quote from: Malkavian on March 27, 2020, 07:56:31 PM
If someone runs it with the rulebook, yes. I'm happy either way, but personal preference is for the rulebook, which has stats for all of the canon characters if we're going that way.

And I love Buffy and Angel. Love Spike too, but Buffy and Angel is king.
Yes to the "power house" couple.  I agree on Spike's behalf too! 

As to this rulebook, what if others do not have access to it?  That would/might be a concern...

Malkavian

Quote from: Lachiyous on March 27, 2020, 08:19:02 PMAs to this rulebook, what if others do not have access to it?  That would/might be a concern...

If I get to play Buffy (I love the character, and have wanted to play her for ages in a big game), I've zero issues with it being free-form! Though I always tend to prefer system games (it keeps things fair, and I like the BtVS RPG system). But, if everyone else would prefer systemless - and doing so gets us a fuller cast of canon characters - then I'm up for that too.

Silas Wolf

Just so you all know you can find the BTVS gamebooks on The Trove web sight in pdf format. If we are going to go the route of using the game system.
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

Happy to play the Blonde One via system or free-form, but if people are happy to use the rules I'll be even happier. Not a deal-breaker for me if we don't though - I just want to stab some vampires with Mr. Pointy.

Malkavian

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on March 27, 2020, 02:27:35 PMJust for some clarification are you interested in a "current" older Buffy, Teen Buffy, and if you're using Buffy do you only want the original scoobies or new scoobies and/or a mix of scoobies? 

I'd go teenage Buffy, or her just after Sunnydale (23 I believe), or any time in between, depending on when and where it's set.

Callie Del Noire

Malkavian

Then join us for some good-natured slayage!

Callie Del Noire

I had an idea for either a nerd girl/werewolf or a cursed with sort.  I got the books sitting on the shelf.

I wished they'd kept the license going a bit longer, what I heard about the Watcher's book would have been fun

Malkavian

I have all of the Buffy and Angel books - it's one of my favourite RPGs. A GM friend of mine once ran a BtVS game for us for about 3 years, and it remains to this day the best campaign I've ever played in.

Sounds like we have a few OCs that could join the original gang? Is it worth us compiling a list of people who might be interested in joining me in this, with a note on who they'd want to play? (Ideally we'd have mostly canon characters with a few OCs, but I guess that's up to overall public preference?)

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Malkavian on March 27, 2020, 08:52:49 PM
I just want to stab some vampires with Mr. Pointy.

Diiiiirty

Quote from: Malkavian on March 27, 2020, 09:37:34 PM
I'd go teenage Buffy, or her just after Sunnydale (23 I believe), or any time in between, depending on when and where it's set.

Alright.  Just figured that'd help any potential DM's. 

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 27, 2020, 10:24:01 PM
I had an idea for either a nerd girl/werewolf or a cursed with sort.  I got the books sitting on the shelf.

I wished they'd kept the license going a bit longer, what I heard about the Watcher's book would have been fun

How long into the series did the licensing go?  Like...you can build playable werewolves in the game system?  Demons?  Or what? 

Quote from: Malkavian on March 27, 2020, 10:25:58 PM
I have all of the Buffy and Angel books - it's one of my favourite RPGs. A GM friend of mine once ran a BtVS game for us for about 3 years, and it remains to this day the best campaign I've ever played in.

Sounds like we have a few OCs that could join the original gang? Is it worth us compiling a list of people who might be interested in joining me in this, with a note on who they'd want to play? (Ideally we'd have mostly canon characters with a few OCs, but I guess that's up to overall public preference?)

It's been so long since I've seen either Angel or Buffy that I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel playing canon characters.  I'm usually pretty picky and mood dependent on that anyway.  That said, Riley is probably a safe bet if I'm not allowed to mess around with an OC. 
Coming soon...

Callie Del Noire

Buffy had werewolves and witches and magical warriors. The next book, before Fox pulled the license, was supposed to be the Watcher's book. There was.. four (or five) books published.

Angel had 'design a devil' mechanics but only one book.

Malkavian

The revised core covered all of the seasons of Buffy.

Riley would be cool, especially given his history with Buffy - and how he and Angel interact, having both dated the Slayer.

Under normal circumstances I'd love to run the game, but I'm so damn keen to play Buffy herself that I'd rather play it instead.

Callie Del Noire

I figure I'd do a OC or Willow. :D

Malkavian

Callie Del Noire

Malkavian

If OCs are preferred, we could always do a What If where Buffy either went to a different town with a Hellmouth, or to Sunnydale but made different friends than Xander and Willow?

Just please don't take Giles from me! Or, at the least, let me play Buffy and Giles. Those two need to be in the same story.

Callie Del Noire

Depends on what sort of GM we attract. :D

Silas Wolf

Damian Ruiz is a Private Detective that dabbles in the arcane.
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

There is that!

As a last resort, I can run a game - I'd MAKE the time for BtVS - but again would rather not do that, since I wouldn't then be able to play the character I'd been 50% hoping to when I made this request (I had originally wanted an OC Slayer, but the more I've thought on it, the more keen I am for the Blonde One).

Malkavian

So at the moment (and just so it's right in my head), we have:

Buffy Summers - The Slayer - Malkavian
Rupert Giles - The Watcher - Malkavian? (unless someone else claims the best character in the show)
Damian Ruiz - Arcane-Dabbling Private Detective - Silas Wolf
Zoey Cooper - Witch - Callie Del Noire

Anyone else?

Callie Del Noire

Green Goo Theory

I have several ideas for characters and some would probably need to be gone over with the potential DM before I say with any certainty which way I'd like to go.  I'm interested but character spot is blank for now. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 28, 2020, 07:11:32 AMUh.. me? Zoey Cooper witch?

Sorry! You mentioned being indecisive between two characters, and your OC hadn't been named. Added now.

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on March 28, 2020, 10:18:05 AM
I have several ideas for characters and some would probably need to be gone over with the potential DM before I say with any certainty which way I'd like to go.  I'm interested but character spot is blank for now.

Sounds like we're ending up with an OC bunch of Scoobies. That being the case, perhaps a Sunnydale AU where Buffy and Giles fell in with a different group of people than Xander and Willow and Cordelia?

Or, if everyone's older, perhaps post-Sunnydale the group met with a different group and began working with them. Wouldn't explain where the others - Xander, the Principle, Dawn, Willow, etc. - went, but would explain the newbies.

Preferences? Personally I like Sunnydale, but am not opposed to a different location if need be. Main difference for me would be Buffy's age (which scales between 16-23) and her relation with Giles (which becomes less Slayer/Watcher and more daughter/father).

Silas Wolf

I feel wee should go with a different location other than Sunnydale.

But as for her relationship with Giles, it should be the more father/daughter.
Signature by Amaris

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Silas Wolf on March 28, 2020, 05:37:25 PM

Steal something from Ash Vs. Evil Dead..

GO to JACKSONVILLE FL

Malkavian

Quote from: Silas Wolf on March 28, 2020, 05:37:25 PM

Any particular reason for both?

Silas Wolf

As for my reasons if we are to make this our own story I feel we should move away from Sunnydale.

And there was more of a dynamic between her and Giles once he took on the more fatherly figure. 
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

We, or the Director/GM, would need to come up with a good alternative then - Sunnydale was interesting because it had character all of its own. The places were memorable too. So we just need to work to replicate something equally awesome so that the setting isn't just mundane - again, doable, but might require us to help any potential Director/GM with the effort.

So we're all on the same page, is this what we're thinking?:

The game would be just after season 7 of BtVS, when Sunnydale is gone and the group has moved on. Xander, Willow, and the others are elsewhere (temporarily or otherwise - and only if the GM doesn't want them around to NPC OR someone else doesn't want to RP as them), whilst Buffy and Giles (plus any other controlled canons) have moved to a new supernaturally potent location (likely with its own Hellmouth) in order to continue their smackdown against the forces of evil. It's here that they could encounter new and potent allies. (Also, if people are torn between OCs and Canons, maybe they can control both - one of each, perhaps?)

Thoughts? Also, anyone who's read this gotten the urge to GM?

Malkavian

If people are up for it, we could run this as a free-form, GM less story?

Lachiyous

*cheers!*
I could maaaaaybe make an Angel appearance.....once every.....Blue Moon.  No promises.  But that would be pretty cool!  ;)

Malkavian

Let's do this - even if it's just us two. ;D

On a serious note, I think I'm going to make a thread for this and get the game underway - start it up in a similar way to how I did Kingdom Hearts (smaller group of free-form, and then build it towards a more structured thing if/when it ever makes Big Group). To that end, what do we think for category (so I can make the threads)?

Lachiyous

Quote from: Malkavian on April 10, 2020, 02:23:32 PM
Let's do this - even if it's just us two. ;D

On a serious note, I think I'm going to make a thread for this and get the game underway - start it up in a similar way to how I did Kingdom Hearts (smaller group of free-form, and then build it towards a more structured thing if/when it ever makes Big Group). To that end, what do we think for category (so I can make the threads)?
Hehe.  I knew that would *trigger* you.   :-)  I'd make sure some of the others.  RESPOND.  Here, first.  Before starting it up?  Just a thought.......otherwise, it might be a very, very slowwwwwwwww thread.....if it's just you and i!  Just sayin'...

Callie Del Noire

Malkavian

Slow threads don't bother me, but I'm happy to wait and see if any of the others respond. If no one does for a while, I'll likely go ahead and make it anyways.

Lachiyous

To answer your other question about category, I'd imagine AT LEAST exotic, right?

Green Goo Theory

How would a GM-less group even work?  At least, for something set up for a Buffy-verse. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

No idea. At this point, I just want to play Buffy. :-X

If the GM-less idea is unappealing, and no one wishes to GM, we can always shelf the idea for another day.

Lachiyous

"If you build it, they will come!"

If you create Buffy, everything else will...fall into place?

Heck, Angel can even play....ANTAGONIST at some points.  Because.  Vampire and all!

We can have vampires as NPC monsters, which any player can control.  With a little 'flavor' thrown in every once in awhile....I'm sure it can't/won't be THAT difficult to play out!  C'mon now.....;)

Do you think earlier, when she FIRST becomes a slayer would be easier to navigate self driven plot points around?  She's learning about herself.  Giles has plenty of knowledge and wisdom to impart.  Etc etc.  Just a thought..... :-)

Malkavian

I did suggest that, but people seemed more keen on post-Sunnydale.

Lachiyous

Well, officially, my two cents are in:

Earlier Buffy = easier to throw on more progressing storyline material. 
Keep it in Sunnydale, obviously. 

If it's alternate, then the other supporting cast can be replaced.

Really, as long as you have the slayer, *ANYTHING* should be possible.... :-)

Too bad you can't use her in your Resident Evil thread.  She could be QUITE helpful in that survival horror!  ;)

Callie Del Noire

Earlier, depending how early, makes her a minor

Later gives more freedom on where.

I’d think an alternate world could be interesting. Manhattan by night or such. My witch idea was a girl from New Orleans, which is another interesting location

Malkavian

She was 16 in Season 1, and 23 by Season 7.

Lachiyous

Who is to say that she can't be eighteen when she first became the slayer?   Ahh, the beauty of fiction  :-)

Malkavian

Shouldn't be any issue with them being 16, I think, based on site rules - she just can't be pictured at that point? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Lachiyous

That is not my forte, as I'm newer on this site.  But either we can keep her at that age....or bump her up to eighteen and not have to worry about it.  The least of our concerns, I'd imagine? 

Malkavian

Just checked the rules. Characters can be 16, but any images have to be 18 years or older.

Green Goo Theory

If we're looking at a sort of semi-AU version of the Buffyverse where it's a new story then the time period and age of the characters doesn't really matter to me. 
Coming soon...

Lachiyous

Malkavian

If we can get the people, I'm happy to jump in as the Blonde One.

Lachiyous

Ahh, what's wrong with Brunette?

Hehe, just teasing ;)

Silas Wolf

Quote from: Lachiyous on April 12, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
role call/roster check then?

Damian Ruiz - Hot on the trail of a cold case of a girl found drained of all her blood. It was staged to look like some kind of satanic ritual. But the case has lead him to believe otherwise.

Signature by Amaris

Callie Del Noire

Zoey Cooper: witch scion of two witch families.  Father line ties back to Judge Cooper of New Orleans, Mom’s family ties to the Hawthornes of England/Massachusetts . Grew up New Orleans. New to her power as a rogue family member tried to steal it. He got a house dropped on him.

Lachiyous

a witch and a detective (human?) -- SWEET.

What about you "Green Goo Theory"?  Who are you thinking?

Silas Wolf

Yes, I see him as a human at first. An maybe by cursed with lycanthropy as the story progresses much like Oz.   
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

So, confirmed characters: Buffy Summers, Zoey Cooper, Damian Ruiz, and, I think, Angel? Is that right?

If this is something people want, I'll get the threads made up. ;D (Though I'd like everyone to let me know what group they think I should make the threads in?)

Lachiyous

At least exotic for non human stuff.  What about blood?  Does that automatically designate an extreme category?

Malkavian

Might be safer to just put it in the Extreme area, just to cover all bases, even if we don't intend on going anywhere near that kind of thing... but want to hear from you all first before I make the threads.

Also Lachiyous, what are you playing? Definitely Angel, or someone else? Just so I can write up a character list when I make the threads.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Malkavian on April 12, 2020, 10:03:15 PM
Might be safer to just put it in the Extreme area, just to cover all bases, even if we don't intend on going anywhere near that kind of thing... but want to hear from you all first before I make the threads.

Also Lachiyous, what are you playing? Definitely Angel, or someone else? Just so I can write up a character list when I make the threads.

Sounds about right to go extreme

Lachiyous

Quote from: Malkavian on April 12, 2020, 10:03:15 PM

I'll make my oft rare, yet quality posts....here-and-there.....on yes.....everything's favorite brooding vampire!   :-)

Silas Wolf

I agree with putting it in extreme.
Signature by Amaris

VoluptuousVixen

Lachiyous

Quote from: VoluptuousVixen on April 12, 2020, 10:22:00 PM
Is WIllow Rosenberg free?
*waaaaaaaaaves to the "VoluptuousVixen" chicka!* 

I knowwwwww you....;)

Malkavian

Quote from: VoluptuousVixen on April 12, 2020, 10:22:00 PMIs WIllow Rosenberg free?

She is!! PLEASE play her! My Slayer needs her bestie!

Which puts the cast at:

• Buffy Summers - Malkavian
  • Angel - Lachiyous
  • Zoey Cooper - Callie Del Noire
  • Damian Ruiz - Silas Wolf
  • Willow Rosenberg - VoluptuousVixen

Silas Wolf

Woo hoo, we have VoluptuousVixen onboard this is going to be fun.
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

Quote from: Silas Wolf on April 12, 2020, 10:52:36 PMWoo hoo, we have VoluptuousVixen onboard this is going to be fun.

You mean more fun, right? ;D

Silas Wolf

Quote from: Malkavian on April 12, 2020, 11:00:25 PM
You mean more fun, right? ;D

Yes, thank you for the correction. It is going to be more fun.  >:)
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

I'm actually chuffed that I'll get to interact with more canon characters, too. Especially Willow! Buffy needs her wicca. ;D

Lachiyous

*ahem*  and what is Angel --

CHOPPED LIVER now??

*smirk*

Malkavian

Quote from: Lachiyous on April 12, 2020, 11:26:17 PM
*ahem*  and what is Angel --

CHOPPED LIVER now??

Yes.

But he's MY chopped liver. ;)

Malkavian

I've made an OOC Thread for the game - let's get everyone moved over there, so we can continue this! I'm also working on getting a character sheet thread made up for us to post our characters; I'll link that in too once I'm done.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=319057.0

Malkavian

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Lachiyous on April 12, 2020, 08:23:44 PM
a witch and a detective (human?) -- SWEET.

What about you "Green Goo Theory"?  Who are you thinking?

I'm stuck on multiple ideas right now.  Including trying a canon character. 
Coming soon...

Lachiyous

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on April 17, 2020, 01:35:43 PM
I'm stuck on multiple ideas right now.  Including trying a canon character.
Which canon character are you thinking?

Green Goo Theory

I'm apprehensive to go that route because it has been SOOOO long since I've seen the show (now that I know it's on Hulu I'm binging starting tonight after work) but Xander, Riley, or Spike.  I've played Spike once before yeeaaarrs ago.  I think I've played Xander before as well but I can't remember.  I like Oz but I'd also have the same issues with trying to play a canon character without rewatching stuff. 

The line up seems heavy with the supernatural characters. 
Coming soon...

VoluptuousVixen

Instead Of Willow....is Cordelia Chase free?

Lachiyous

I imagine she is Miss “VoluptuousVixen”!   :-)

“Green Goo Theory” — all sweet choices!  I love me Xander myself, but then I always had a soft spot for geeks!  ;)

**also, that's the exact reason I'm re-watching some of the show myself!  To *REMEMBER* the essence of some of these characters!  Thank god for Hulu, right?  *grin*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: VoluptuousVixen on April 17, 2020, 06:54:11 PM
Instead Of Willow....is Cordelia Chase free?

As not cute red head to flirt with..

Lachiyous

Nothing wrong with the sexy brunette, I'd say.  A Xander and Cordelia 'Scooby' gang would be a fun dynamic as well!

Silas Wolf

I think having Cordelia along for the ride would spice things up.
Signature by Amaris

Malkavian

Received your sheet for Cordie and it looks good!

Let's move this discussion over to the OOC Thread for the game. ;)

Smokinbarrel

Malkavian stepped down as GM, but I’m offering a one-shot “Episode” called “Tales of The Slayer: “Vampire, Slay Her!”. Still using Eden Studios BTVS/Angel rules. The story is set in Buffy Season Six, between “Life Serial” and “All The Way”, with an option for a “lost crossover” with ANGEL.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=320274.0