What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikem

QuoteEthan Alter

Italian spacefarer and Star Trek fan Samantha Cristoforetti got Twitter buzzing when she posted a snapshot direct from the International Space Station proudly clad in Starfleet regalia. (The specific uniform is from Star Trek: Voyager.)

This is just the coolest thing I've seen. When I'm old and decrepit I can tell stories of the International Space Station and how cool it's crew were.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Lustful Bride

That's awesome,  ;D

in other news a woman was arrested at JFK trying to smuggle in cocaine in her underwear and a girdle.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cops-woman-arrested-at-jfk-hid-cocaine-in-girdle-underwear/ar-AAbqIj5?ocid=iehp

My biggest surprise is that Girdles still exist. o_O

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on April 20, 2015, 03:27:30 PM
We've known about these godless epicentres of pure suckitude and void for a while.

I'd like you to elaborate here, Kyth. What did Sunderland do to you?

(the only thing that comes to my mind when I hear that name is "the guy who dissected the Swamp Thing"... I know, I'm a hopeless comic geek

Quote from: Mikem on April 21, 2015, 10:27:12 AM

)

This is very cool indeed!

On somewhat related note, the Japanese MagLev train broke train speed record:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3047627/Japanese-Maglev-breaks-12-year-speed-record-Train-FLOATS-366mph-faster-tomorrow-s-test-run.html

Let me stress that this is a freaking *levitating* train. A kind of thing we used to read in SF books about...

Kythia

Quote from: Beorning on April 21, 2015, 11:45:28 AM
I'd like you to elaborate here, Kyth. What did Sunderland do to you?

(the only thing that comes to my mind when I hear that name is "the guy who dissected the Swamp Thing"... I know, I'm a hopeless comic geek
)

Eh, as Dashenka mentioned there's a long-standing hatred between Newcastle and Sunderland.  Football stuff mainly, nowadays. 

Dashenka

And you are from Newcastle?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Kythia

Dashenka

Wicked... Great city... almost as good as London :)

Zakharra

Locally, we had two earthquakes happen last night. They hit in the evening and were not real strong (just enough to be noticed), but since this isn't an area known for earth movement (north Idaho), it was a little frightening. The first one was 4.2 and the second 4.1. The ground just shook/rumbled for about 5-8 seconds.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Beorning

This kind of news makes me extremely happy that I live in a region that's seismically stable, has no volcanoes, a sea where a tsunami might happen etc. Back here, we only have to worry about floods and localized tornadoes...

In other news, Poland doesn't seem to get a break regarding the Holocaust and the Nazis lately:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/204609,Mattel-under-fire-for-Nazi-Poland-game

"Nazi Poland"? What the heck, Mattel?  >:(

Deamonbane

Chile's Cabulco Volcano erupted twice this week, once on Wednesday and again on Thursday, with scientists warning that there may be a third and 'more agressive' eruption soon to come. People are being evacuated.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/24/calbuco-eruption-locals-advised-to-evacuate
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Dashenka

The earthquake that struck Nepal has claimed over 1000 lifes now...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32467986

Number is expected to rise significantly. The airport is also damaged and because of the geographic location of Nepal, getting goods in by plane is extremely difficult.

Zakharra

Yeah, I heard Nepal got hammered hard. 7.8-7.9 or so.Gods and goddesses help the dead and wounded and I hope China and India, as well as the rest of the world offers what help they can, without strings attached. And that any Nepalese separatists/rebels/insurrectionists, or any criminals don't take the opportunity to try and do something during the chaos..

Dashenka

India is helping already I believe. I don't know about China. Doubt they will help Nepal cause it has a lot of refugees from Tibet.

gaggedLouise

There was talk recently about China wanting to build a railway from Tibet to Kathmandu through the Himalayas (and beneath Mount Everest) to move towards linking up the Chinese and Indian railway networks - I don't figure this massive earthquake will further those plans. If the railway had been in place it would have suffered serious damage this time around, in some of the toughest terrain in the world.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dimir

There is live coverage of active rioting and looting in several parts of Baltimore, Maryland in response to the death of Freddie Gray. There was supposed to be just peaceful protesting but now things have spiralled completely out of control and even the gangs are threatening to kill officers.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Zakharra

http://fox2now.com/2015/04/23/new-kinloch-mayor-blocked-by-police-from-entering-city-hall/

What the hell? Come on Kinlock city officials, let the woman in. She won fair and square. Sheesh. Some people take losing bad apparently.

Silver

Quote from: Dimir on April 27, 2015, 04:31:08 PM
There is live coverage of active rioting and looting in several parts of Baltimore, Maryland in response to the death of Freddie Gray. There was supposed to be just peaceful protesting but now things have spiralled completely out of control and even the gangs are threatening to kill officers.

Nation Guard have been activated. Rioters cutting holes in a fire line as a CVS burns and looting. See all of this bring back to the summer and Ferguson. This all just makes me sad...
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Lustful Bride

All this makes me so sad, all it does is make things worse for everyone.   :-(

Mikem

https://screen.yahoo.com/raw-looters-target-stores-baltimore-223541961.html

This is why we need a Police State sometimes. This is why I believe People, in the plural form, are stupid. This is why I would support a harsher response.

I mean just look at them. Like ants. No regard for civility or property. That CVS store was later set ablaze.

I wonder if the National Guard's been deployed to the city yet.

Quote from: Silver on April 27, 2015, 06:09:01 PM
Nation Guard have been activated.

Nevermind.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Zakharra

Quote from: Mikem on April 27, 2015, 08:39:53 PM
https://screen.yahoo.com/raw-looters-target-stores-baltimore-223541961.html

This is why we need a Police State sometimes. This is why I believe People, in the plural form, are stupid. This is why I would support a harsher response.

I mean just look at them. Like ants. No regard for civility or property. That CVS store was later set ablaze.

A police state as in complete surveillance and vastly expanded police/military control/dictatorship?

Mikem

Quote from: Zakharra on April 27, 2015, 09:20:33 PM
A police state as in complete surveillance and vastly expanded police/military control/dictatorship?

That's pushing it to the extreme. Yes the police should be expanded and the military already has some control, ie. the national guard being able to be deployed to civil unrest situations. I don't want a dictatorship but when people decide to act like animals then our civil authority should treat them as such.

My Ons & Offs

Mistyy

Security apparatus should be strong enough to put down riots like those, there is a call for more harsh methods as it seems the peaceful strategy is not working. I fear that if something like that happened in my country, the police wouldn't be able to do anything as they've been reduced to driving drunken people from place a to b.

Dashenka

Turns out China IS helping victims of the earthquake. They got a tent camp set up in the south east of China for the people.

Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

Zakharra

Quote from: Mikem on April 27, 2015, 10:08:38 PM
That's pushing it to the extreme. Yes the police should be expanded and the military already has some control, ie. the national guard being able to be deployed to civil unrest situations. I don't want a dictatorship but when people decide to act like animals then our civil authority should treat them as such.

When people think of Police State, a military style dictatorship with heavily armed police with informers and military back-up all over the place all the time is what comes to mind for most people I think. The police states we have seen in the last century alone, those in fiction: Orwell's 1984, the government of Britain in V for Vendetta and so on. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

That being said, I think there is a fine line that needs to be walked. The police need the authority and training and equipment to keep the peace, without going overboard on it. Additional training (PSAs might help some?) for the citizens on what kind of protect is allowed. Marching and protecting is fine. Rioting and looting and burning is not. If there is one form of punishment I would like to see reinstated is all looters being shot. All too often I have heard it is alright for looters, and arsonists to do what they do when there are riots. That needs to be stomped on HARD. If rioters and looters knew they'd be killed if they started doing anything out of the law, they would be far less inclined to do that kind of stuff.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Zakharra on April 28, 2015, 09:27:09 AM
When people think of Police State, a military style dictatorship with heavily armed police with informers and military back-up all over the place all the time is what comes to mind for most people I think. The police states we have seen in the last century alone, those in fiction: Orwell's 1984, the government of Britain in V for Vendetta and so on. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

That being said, I think there is a fine line that needs to be walked. The police need the authority and training and equipment to keep the peace, without going overboard on it. Additional training (PSAs might help some?) for the citizens on what kind of protect is allowed. Marching and protecting is fine. Rioting and looting and burning is not. If there is one form of punishment I would like to see reinstated is all looters being shot. All too often I have heard it is alright for looters, and arsonists to do what they do when there are riots. That needs to be stomped on HARD. If rioters and looters knew they'd be killed if they started doing anything out of the law, they would be far less inclined to do that kind of stuff.

Don't be so sure of that. Arresting people involved in this kind of activity lately, especially if they get even the most minor of injury during their arrest, has often fueled greater outrage and violence on the part of the protesters. You'd basically be inviting far more carnage that way. Not that I think letting them run rampant is a good idea, but we've already proven "shoot first, ask questions later" isn't going to work.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.