Am I the only one wondering about the Ghost In The Shell Dreamworks/Disney film?

Started by Garuss Vakarian, August 22, 2015, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garuss Vakarian

I was wondering how people feel about the manga/anime, Ghost In The Shell getting an adaptation by Disneys Dreamworks productions? Or about the fact that the role of Major went to Scarlet Johanson! Of Lucy, and Avengers fame. (Black Widow.) She is of coarse known for more then those two movies, but those would be the movies of note on deciding if she is right for the part of Major. ^^ I think she can do a great job, but shouldn't the major be... I dont know? Asian! I get not all characters in anime are Asian. But still. As far as acting is concerned, I think it depends on which version of Motoko they decide to use. Her personality differs dramatically between the manga, movies, and series. In the anime form she hides her emotions, is stoic. In the manga she is spunky, comedic, and very sexually liberated. (Though more serious later on.) Im thinking they may go their own route with this Major, which would be a mistake unless they use a mix between the two versions of Motoko we know. Some one cold, and stoic, but sometimes has a bit of personality there to show she is a person beyond all the cybernetics. (Like a trained assassin turned agent we know, who is cold, distant, but has a visible humanity beyond all the training and brainwashing she endured as a child. Cough, cough Black Widow.) So if they do that, Scarlet makes sense as the actor they would chose! I think it is possible it can succeed as a american film. As a purist, I am happy Disney of all people got the rights. They have a good track record of adapting, but staying true to the heart of marvel comics. So I will trust they do well with this. Im not certain it will be good, but I cross my fingers for a success!!! A success means we may see a lot of awesome adaptations of our favorite anime film's, anime series, and mangas some time in the future from Disney. But thats the optimist in me speaking. ^^

Mind you it all probably hinges on if they are willing to go for the R rating. If they try and stick to PG13 then I will lose a lot of faith. The universe they are adapting is a future, not for the feint of heart. Hell, it's the series/movies/mangas I recommend to friends whom are curious about the Cyberpunk genre, but want to know more before jumping into games like Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2020 (And editions there on.) Well, what I recommend other then Bladerunner of coarse. :P

But thats just me, what are all your thoughts! Would it work? Or will it flop?

TheGlyphstone

I can't imagine Dreamworks/Disney willingly attaching their brand to an R-rated film.

Garuss Vakarian

Well, believe it or not Disneys got it's hands in lots of pockets people dont know about. Hell they even own ScrewAttack! They make horror films and produce r rated films all the time. Just they keep their name out of everything they can involving such projects. They even own Angry Joe. Id say he is rated r with his angry cuss filled reviews of bad games and movies. ^^ . So ya, they do it they just try to keep it hush hush. Though this is blatantly advertised as a disney product so, I do think you have a point still. Pg 13 seems more likely. Just crossing my fingers they keep things nice and gritty.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that was my point - The Disney Corporation does bankroll a lot of R-rated stuff, but they do it through subsidiary labels and other studios, without ever sticking the Disney brand on them. Even PG-13 stuff is extremely rare - according to IMDB, there are only 9 Walt Disney Studios branded films with a PG-13 rating - the Pirates of the Caribbean line, Prince of Persia, John Carter, the Lone Ranger remake, and Saving Mr Banks, plus something called Once Upon A Warrior.

If anything will make them consider it R-rated, it'd be if the Deadpool movie is some sort of runaway smash hit, but I wouldn't count on it.

Garuss Vakarian

Hey now! Im really hoping Deadpool becomes a smash hit. >_< <-- This sucker is a huge deadpool fan! lol.

TheGlyphstone

Oh, I absolutely am too, I worded that poorly. What I was trying to say was that even if Deadpool is a smash hit, I wouldn't count on Disney making an R-rated GoTS movie.

Garuss Vakarian

Ha ha, I get what your saying now.

Yeah, sad but true. Thoughts on Scarlet as the Major?

TheGlyphstone

Black Howling

If we can separate what we've seen in the anime, where she appears in all forms as Asian, then Scar Jo might be able to pull it off. I'm not that fond of all her acting, but she does play the stoic types pretty well. She also has a body that matches The Major in terms of shape.

I'd be more comfortable with her as The Major if they go the 'Solid State' version of Kusanagi. I think she'd be able to pull that off. As for the movie, though, I'm not at all that fond of Disney slapping their name on it. Ghost in the Shell would have to be R rated in my opinion and I just can't see the studio so openly endorsing such a film.

Sasquatch421

Honestly if it wasn't for Disney we might have never got any of Miyazaki's works over here, but that's besides the point. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the film... Motoko can honestly be whatever she feels like being pure cyborg, and they could probably put some spin on it. I can't say I've read the Manga, but I do have the first movie, seen the second, own both seasons of S.A.C and even have the first couple of episodes of Arise.

I think Johanson could pull of the Major, if they go with the way she's portrayed in the Anime's.

Garuss Vakarian

Happy to see everyone's opinions! ^^ .

I think Disney is willing to take chances with the film. Kind of like with Guardians of The Galaxy, they are making so much money they can afford to take a few risks. They can afford to experiment, and see if they can make something new. Ya, I know Guardians aint rated R, but it was a major risk to grab a no name comic book team that only die hard comic readers would even know of, and make something that would make them a return out of. They can perhaps shoot for a PG 13 rating, but making it as gritty as possible before they push towards R. After all, lately movies with death, cussing and such have gotten the PG 13 rating. We could still see a violent, dark future. Just wont be as much blood or sex. Again, just  being hopeful.

Rogue

..... can I say I'm just more worried about who they cast as Batou?....

Though I am kinda pissed they chose Scarlett Johansson over an (at least) Asian actress. But I do love her.... >.> all in all I'm going to be hesitant to watch this movie. Much as I'm hesitant to watch any anime to live action film.

Black Howling

Quote from: Rogue on September 01, 2015, 11:04:20 AM
..... can I say I'm just more worried about who they cast as Batou?....

Though I am kinda pissed they chose Scarlett Johansson over an (at least) Asian actress. But I do love her.... >.> all in all I'm going to be hesitant to watch this movie. Much as I'm hesitant to watch any anime to live action film.

I was trying not to think about that part. >_< But you're right....

Rogue

Quote from: Black Howling on September 01, 2015, 11:14:11 AM
I was trying not to think about that part. >_< But you're right....

I have a serious attachment to the American Voice actor for the "Stand Alone Complex" series..... I would be very disappointed (read upset) if they fucked him up. >.>

Missy

I too am dissapointed that they didn't use an Asian actress, there are plenty of decent ones out there (a few of whom I'm likely not familiar with, but I would've been happy having any Asian woman playing a character who is in all forms Japanese???)

Whether or not I will watch or fangirl the show remains to be seen. I honestly would like to see more Stand Alone Complex or Solid State Society work. Being the Motoko I am most familiar with and favoured of.

Xanatos

Actually, lets be fair to the Anime. Most of the characters, main/secondary anyway, were portrayed as White in the T.V. show/its sequel movie. Even to a large extent, in first two movies. Only Saito and Pazu, were obviously Asian. The Anime, in all of its incarnations, is obviously designed to be more interesting to a Western and largely White audience. So really, an Asian actress would not have been accurate. If anyone disagrees, I encourage you to go back through and watch it again. I have seen each season of the TV series 4+ times. I didn't like the first two movies, but Batou and Togusa changed little in the transition to the series. Not sure about the others. Motoko aside, as she did change a decent amount.

Oh, and since the TV series is the most popular and well known incarnation of Ghost in the Shell, its assuredly what the movie is adapting from. All of the other incarnations are so similar, it really becomes semantics.

Batuo is obviously white and has blonde hair, Asian's do not - unless bleached.

Togusa is obviously White and has brown hair, Asian's do not - unless dyed.

Motoko is full Cyborg, so one could argue anything concerning how she looked before becoming a cyborg. But, its important to note she looks white. A body/image, she chose for herself.

Borma, Ishikawa are also obviously white. In fact, Ishikawa looks more like an American Red Neck then anything else with that hair and beard of his. Trust me, I live near a large population of Red Necks. He'd fit right in.

Aramaki, is debatable. He could be Asian, but he also looks White.

Saito and Pazu are the only Asian team members and they get very little airtime, especially Pazu.

So, no. Asian's would not fit the series at all. Despite it being a Japanese anime, its so obviously aimed at Western/particularly American society, that casting the cast as Asian would alienate the fan base - aside from any truly hardcore Anime people.

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Xanatos on September 11, 2015, 02:04:02 PM
Actually, lets be fair to the Anime. Most of the characters, main/secondary anyway, were portrayed as White in the T.V. show/its sequel movie. Even to a large extent, in first two movies. Only Saito and Pazu, were obviously Asian. The Anime, in all of its incarnations, is obviously designed to be more interesting to a Western and largely White audience. So really, an Asian actress would not have been accurate. If anyone disagrees, I encourage you to go back through and watch it again. I have seen each season of the TV series 4+ times. I didn't like the first two movies, but Batou and Togusa changed little in the transition to the series. Not sure about the others. Motoko aside, as she did change a decent amount.

Oh, and since the TV series is the most popular and well known incarnation of Ghost in the Shell, its assuredly what the movie is adapting from. All of the other incarnations are so similar, it really becomes semantics.

Batuo is obviously white and has blonde hair, Asian's do not - unless bleached.

Togusa is obviously White and has brown hair, Asian's do not - unless dyed.

Motoko is full Cyborg, so one could argue anything concerning how she looked before becoming a cyborg. But, its important to note she looks white. A body/image, she chose for herself.

Borma, Ishikawa are also obviously white. In fact, Ishikawa looks more like an American Red Neck then anything else with that hair and beard of his. Trust me, I live near a large population of Red Necks. He'd fit right in.

Aramaki, is debatable. He could be Asian, but he also looks White.

Saito and Pazu are the only Asian team members and they get very little airtime, especially Pazu.

So, no. Asian's would not fit the series at all. Despite it being a Japanese anime, its so obviously aimed at Western/particularly American society, that casting the cast as Asian would alienate the fan base - aside from any truly hardcore Anime people.

I want to start with this:

Westernization in Japanese films and shows is common. So much so that people tend to put it that people look "white" or "American" or "French" or whatever due to the paleness of characters skin, or the color of their hair. Let us not forget it is not at all uncommon for someone in most Japanese, Chinese etc...culture to color their hair in gloriously bright fashions. Whether it be pure white, fiery red, or even something common brown. Let us also not forget that not all people from other cultures are 100% of that cultures. They could be half American, half European, or some other group. So brown hair is very much possible.

(I have friends who have natural brown hair and I'm sure there are others.)

To say no Asian would fit into this series is a far stretch. You could easily find  some actors who could fit the roles needed for this film. The fact that producers wish to use Western actors and actresses is purely up to them. What the fans think of it is a whole other story.

As for Boma being a red neck. I don't see this. I just can't no matter how many times I watch the show. There is redneck, and then there is bad ass vet who can snap you like a twig. In fact there's a fine line in my thoughts between red neck and hick and to put Boma anywhere near either category is a bit insulting. He doesn't act or sound like either of those stereotypes.

LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Ephiral

I would also add to that that pale skin is a Japanese beauty ideal. So arguing that a black-haired woman with a Japanese name in a Japanese city written by a Japanese author can't possibly be Japanese because the not-actually-skin she's wearing is a little pale is... highly dismissive, at the very least.

Mnemaxa

Being a fan of Shirow's works for a long time, I really have to say the while Scarlett is actually a strong choice for the professional and playful Major, I have serious doubts about Disney's capability of turning this into anything other than a guns-n-'splosions action flick with zero cerebral interest.

As a side note, Motoko's looks were not chosen by her; she uses a very generic body so she doesn't get targeted.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.