ExXxalted game

Started by DreadD, December 14, 2009, 01:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadD

However, on the by and large Neomah have a good thing going, insofar as their perverse bargains go, ergo sabotaging the results, information of such may be spread, could ruin the rather simple "agreement" they have with those that interact with them.

Empyrean

Reiji: Yep, I'm the GM. As far as Exalts go: Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, Terrestrials, and Infernals are allowed. Abyssals aren't and I would allow Alchemicals if the new book came out before we started.

Plot: Never heard of Asheron. ^_^

I'd be willing to allow Craft (Genesis) to replace Craft (Flesh) and Compassion, and you can take Swift Gestation. Also, the Winged Spirit of Swift Transportation would be appreciated.

Plot Hooks

Cool!   We've got a go on the Savant then.   I'll get you a char sheet and background asap. 
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Empyrean

Since the holidays are upon us, I was thinking of starting on or about the 1st. How does that grab everyone?

Zaer Darkwail

Works fine, done with char creation but need find good sheet where put the info.

prurientelf

I haven't finished my character yet but am very interested in this game!

I will do my best to get her done by the 1st and submitted to you, Empyrean.  Holidays are super busy for me though so in case you don't hear from me until after the new year please don't interpret it as disinterest!

ReijiTabibito

Emp:  Okay, I can get a character up by the first...though recent developments have made me question my character...PM me, I need to discuss this.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Plot Hooks on December 20, 2009, 03:59:10 PM
Actually,  this is where it gets interesting.   She thinks repeating the past would be a mistake and has no desire to see a return of the deliberative.  Instead,  she'll make a stable Scarlett empire that she controls from behind scenes.   They'd continue to hunt celestials that didn't stay out of mortal affairs,  because in her view they'll destroy creation if they attempt to rule it.    Instead,  she'd like for the whole bar of humanity to be raised in order for it to better fend for itself.

She's also got A huge grudge against the UC and is much as an athirst as one can be in this setting.

As an aside, just because there's nothing mentioned about Demonic influence in the Neomah's abilities OOCly doesn't mean that a sorcerer shouldn't have good reason to always be suspicious of their demons IICly.

Well, I just wonder then how she reacts to my Dawn who plans to conquer the whole world and control it....as a god emperor. He has compassion 1 so he does not care much of people in general :P

Plot Hooks

Zaer:  I'm sure she'll find him useful until he's not.    At that point, she'll find a way to make him useful again.   I'm sure a Solar Exaltation would make a bad-assed power source.

The Savant may seem compassionate, but her compassion is actually 1.   Her apparent compassionate nature actually comes from her high Conviction rating, and her convictions dictate compassionate behavior in most cases.    If you fall in a place where her convictions offer you no protection, however, watch out.

OOCly, I try not to do mean things to PCs until they actively cross my player in a major way.   I try my best to abide by the player contract.

Emp:   Asheron was an Empyrean in the game Asheron's Call.      My character will be ready by the first, for sure.  She's actually ready now, sheet-wise, but I've some work to do on her Manse and Allies.   (Both are of coarse, in the GM's domain.   However,  hopefully I can take some of the work-load away from the GM, and offer a few details that can serve as plot hooks later.)

In that vein, I had some questions and suggestions.

How are we handling XP in this game?

In a prior Play-by-post, the GM handled it by offering 1xp per day that you post.    This seemed to encourage the players to be active, and worked out very well.   If you figure 1 post every day, that averages out to 7 a week, which is usually what you can rack up in one session of RL Table-topping, which is also held once a week.     

Do you have plans for introducing the circle, or should we work OOCly here to integrate our Characters into cohesive group?

Part of my background-creation process involves creating three 'friends' and three 'foes' or rivals.    These are just regular joes that my person knows, and are, for the most part, not super powered.   I take great pains not to make them duplicate the allies or followers function.    The idea behind this is that your character presumably has not operated in a vacuum prior to the story, and these characters serve as backdrop and GM plot-hook fodder.     Call me sick, but one of my favorite past-times in System games is handing the GM a loaded gun and trying to dodge the bullets.   
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Zaer Darkwail

Rofl, nice habbit :P. Give GM tool (a gun) and encourage him shoot you (or char) with it.

Anycase my char worked as bandit/mercenary before he crossed a DB from Lookshy and encounter made him realize his true dreams, and was brave enough face his death with cocky attitude...and then he got exalted, got nice manse and armor and weapon.

He got conviction also so he does 'dutifully' care for his cultists (he has cult 2 background). But he is truly selfish person and when before he could get whores and cheap liqor with stolen gold, he get free virgin chicks and free ale from being a hero so he DOES enjoy play that part for those perks. Also he got valor 4 so he is really valorous person. But he is also hot headed so temperance 1 comes from that.

Anycase Plot, I hope you do not mind if my char uses his social fu combo called 'Solar King Persuasion' to try convert you to his cause :P. He kinda got like charisma/manipulation 5 (with his gemstone) and first excelency presence+irresistable salesman spirit....he does not plan break your motivation but tries add intimacy to you to a idea 'rule the world with me' deal. Perhaps background wise your char has already fell victim to this technique and is already working with my char to build his empire (with your own means while he works with his).

Plot Hooks

Well,  you're certainly welcome to try but be forewarned that I consider it a breach of player contract.   A guy might wind up as an exotic componant trying to pull shit like that.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, it is not like supernatural influence, just plain outright creating natural influence. There is difference between attempted charming spell and between just being very good persuader. So in essence exalts could not 'sense' their mind tampered with. You could feel great dealof doubt but you can resist my attempt with sacrifice one point temporal willpower. And I can repeat the subject to try re-convince you one more time and you can spend willpower again negate it. Then you would be immune further attempts of that subject for that day.

So it is not perfect persuasion tool but very good one. My combo that is.

Plot Hooks

Ok see, it doesn't really matter if it's natural or unnatural influence.   You can justify it however you like, but the crux of what you're proposing is that you're wresting control of my character away from me by using game mechanics to change her mind.     

This sort of behavior is often justified by "Well, that's what my player would do in character!"   Even so, that's a pretty blatant violation of the player contract, in that, once you try that, I can't trust the OOC player to not undermine my player at every turn.    In situations where it's agreed to before hand that this type of behavior is expected in a game, it can be ok.    However, in most situations it generally rubs players the wrong way and ends very badly for almost everyone.

If you want to play that way, I'm actually cool with it.   It can lead to interesting story.   However, I will play by the same rules.

So with that said, things you should know:

One of the traits of this character is that she's super-loyal to allies (her convictions dictate it!) but super-ruthless to anyone who makes her 'enemies' list.  If my character finds out that you've been using essence based charms to attempt to control her mind, it won't matter if it's unnatural mental influence, or natural mental influence.    That sort of behavior gets you black-listed in her book. In her mind,  your character is willing to try and screw her over on something little, he'll surely try and screw her over on something big, which means that he is a liability.   Liabilities need to be eliminated or turned into assets.

Remember the 1 compassion I mentioned earlier, and the high conviction rating?   There's a simple calculus to be done, whose result is that the whole of your character poses a danger to her, and that he would invariably be less dangerous if he were divided up into his manse, his artifacts, and the individual parts that make up his body.  The least-bad thing she'll do to the character,  if she has her way, is kill him.   More than likely, she'll craft him into some lobotomized dragoon that will be used to vaporize trespassers.    After all, a good solar exaltation is hard to come by.

If you come out on top of the conflict, fine.   I won't cry about it.   That's the way the story plays out.  But unless your character is super-dooper good at social-fu, the path you are choosing will lead invariably to one of us loosing our characters sooner or later, and you should know that I, the player, will have zero regrets about crafting a doomsday device out of the remains of your character in that situation.   

So, no I don't mind you trying to append my character sheet to further your own goals.   Just don't get too upset if I, in turn, dismantle your character into his base parts to further my character's own goals.   

Zaer Darkwail

Well, my char is not social fu expert but I have his social stuff boosted up quite high in one vs one interaction. Also if I would try manipulate your char it would not be change her completely different person. Simply said my char would try ask her join his cause willingly. But as if you have high conviction it means I would need succeed several times to make you do something supportive to his goals before you create enough commitment to create intimacy for it.

Also as I know using social fu against fellow player can 'rub wrong way' so that's why I wanted carefully talk about it OCC so I do not cross the comfort line what you have for social fu applied to your char. But as note using presence skill alone is not detectable as any fashion as mind control, but as social manipulation or simply charming. I understand you could full ballistic if you figure out I tried manipulate you (basically trick you with social fu) but would your char take similar aggressive offense if she feels my char is merely seducing her (and quite effectively) to his cause? You can resist seduction (and so do not build any commitment or intimacy) but you likely feel 'strong temptation' as sign from my attempts. If I would use manipulation you would feel 'you were attempted to be tricked' (which I understand would be a thing what you would take as a attack and so proceed for counter attack).

I do plan go through charisma+presence route than manipulation+presence (which in itself provokes more hostile response if it fails). using appearance+presence whenever my char wants seduce someone to his bed (if he would like build relationship he would use charisma+presence but he is not interested build close and personal love relationship with compassion what he is having).

Anycase whatever I will try 'inflict' with my social fu is not meant screw over your char concept nor wrest control off you but rather try make your char 'team up' with my char. Just wanted approach this goal through game mechanic method than just agree in OOC 'that will happen'.

So, sorry again if I offended you any manner with my suggestion. If you feel still eery about my char using social fu towards you (and not be party friendly method) I will then back off from idea and use social fu only against npc's. As it is one things needed discuss on table before exalted game begins is social fu allowed towards circle members and what way it is allowed. I just thinked use my social fu to form stronger bond between circle members (to create connections and common interests) than instead enslave whole circle under my reign :P.

Plot Hooks

QuoteWell, my char is not social fu expert...

Then you're making a huge mistake.   I can't see this possibly being a great way to make friends with other Solars as well.   Solars are strong-willed, ambitious creatures, and they generally take offense to being social-fu'd once they find out about it.    If you're going to try Social-fuing the rightful Lords of Creation, you need to be damn sure that you won't get caught at it.

Quotebut as note using presence skill alone is not detectable as any fashion as mind control, but as social manipulation or simply charming.

Yes, but never mind if a sorcerer has essence sight or something similar that would otherwise detect charm use.    I'm not saying that my character has those, but you gotta be careful.    At any rate, as you mentioned earlier, the fact that she'd have to spend willpower to resist it would be a huge tip-off that something just happened, especially given her level of occult and lore.   It wouldn't mean that she knew he used an essence based charm was used, but she'd sure be leery of your character.    It's not an act that will instill friendliness.   

That interaction would go something like this...

Dawn:  "Hey there beautiful.   Wanna help me become God-King of the World..." *SOCIAL FU COMBO!!!*
Twilight: "Why Sur.....   Uh...   Wait a minute." *Spends willpower*  "No.  I wouldn't do that in a million years.   What was that that you tried to do to me just now?"
Dawn:  *Scratches the back of his head and looks around shiftily*   Uh, nothing?      Yes.  Nothing.    Nothing at all.   Say,  your hair sure does look nice today.     How do you get it to look so soft and perfect?
Twilight:  *Evil glare*

Trust me, evil glares from paranoid mad sorcerer/scientists are not a good thing.   

QuoteI understand you could full ballistic if you figure out I tried manipulate you (basically trick you with social fu) but would your char take similar aggressive offense if she feels my char is merely seducing her

No, if you were trying to seduce her, that would be another story.   She'd actually be quiet open to that.   But what you're trying to do is instill an intimacy that goes against her entire worldview of the way that things ought to unfold.     That is an act that is punishable by Craft.    Seeing a single God-King rule over creation is about the worst thing that could happen, in her point of view.

Anycase whatever I will try 'inflict' with my social fu is not meant screw over your char concept nor wrest control off you but rather try make your char 'team up' with my char.

There are other methods that would allow them to Team up which wouldn't involve probable doom for one or both of our characters.     In the Savant's mind, Solars die all the time.    There's nothing wrong with helping an ambitious Solar as long as their goals intersect.   In her mind, it might be a good thing, because perhaps she can show how such a single-minded goal would ruin the cultural diversity of creation and enlighten him.   At any rate, he's likely to die of natural causes along the way, which for a Solar usually means "Glorious Death in Battle", so it's an issue that can likely be put on the back-burner.

Anycase whatever I will try 'inflict' with my social fu is not meant screw over your char concept nor wrest control off you but rather try make your char 'team up' with my char. Just wanted approach this goal through game mechanic method than just agree in OOC 'that will happen'.

Actually, I'd rather either agree in OOC about what happened to bring the circle together rather than use a game mechanic, unless the ST has an origin story in mind.

QuoteSo, sorry again if I offended you any manner with my suggestion.

Actually, this impression that you have is my fault.    I realize the nature of the subject matter is rather hostile, but I, the player am not really offended.      I just think that it will probably be a mistake because I know that my character is paranoid and has a sufficiently advanced sense of pragmatism that would dictate the elimination of anyone who tries to manipulate her in such a way.    Put simply, if I'm a paranoid sorcerer/scientists who intends to change the way the world works, and I find out that someone is attempting to subvert me to their opposing cause in a less-than-honest way,  then there's no way I'm going to risk constant exposure to this person on the off-chance they might succeed.    Best to get rid of them while you're mind's still your own.

Quoteit is one things needed discuss on table before exalted game begins is social fu allowed towards circle members and what way it is allowed.

I agree.  I am all for the use of Social fu on Circle-members.    I'm all for letting any of the PC's do anything they want, so long as they realize that the consequences of their actions may result in the loss of their character.    As I said before, it can make for a really interesting story.   I just don't want anyone to be upset when they have to suffer the rather extreme price of failure if their circle-mates find out about it.    According to game theory, that sort of risky behaviour usually ends badly for the perpetrator.   As for my character, you should know that the stakes for her are tremendously high.    The Boolean works something like this:

If (She can't trust you) & (She has to be around you) | (She will eliminate you)

QuoteI just thinked use my social fu to form stronger bond between circle members (to create connections and common interests) than instead enslave whole circle under my reign :P.

I'm sure you did, but given the conditions on the ground, it doesn't quiet look that way, especially when when those common interests were artificially created through a devil's tongue.    From here, it sounds like 'common interests' translates into being a part of your cult, which isn't going to sit well with my Strong-willed 'free-thinking' anarchist Sorcerer.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so seduction is ok but as note the same charm combo can apply also to seduction which is field what presence applies. Seduction can be Cha or App based (or even manipulation if he tells untruthful flattery get into your pants). When I said I am not social fu expert it meant that I am not able speed wheels of goverment functions (which falls to bureucratic skills) or make good public speeches in parties (socialize) or inspire crowd into frenzy (performance) nor able use charms which outright forces you make actions.

So what my char is good at is one vs one interactions. Also note even if OOC you know reason why you need spend willpower it does not make you 'know' the reason IC. To IC when you burn willpower is simply put your own willpower resisting to fall into crazy ideas what people suggest to you. Also so far as I know you do not need burn willpower in cases where suggestions directly violate your motivation.

So, in essence if your char spends time and my char grows interest on you, then my char is to you a handsome man with very influential presence. Example it tooks years of interaction with Palpatine with Anakin Skywalker to make him turn Darth Vader and some circumstances were needed to happen to make possible break Anakin's primary motivation and also break his old loyalties. Palpatine did not use any force powers brainwash Anakin, he simply manipulated him with social skills and persuasion and with his charisma.

I say my char is not Palpatine even if he has capabillities to be one (high manipulation score) but effects would be similar but more through a seduction than lies. So what I am saying is that I will try do social fu in field what I am good at but I want make also clear that you understand OOC wise how/why do it (and your char understanding what is going on IC wise). I could very well take that your char after spending few passionate nights with my char realizes how 'dangerously influencing' my char is (you realize you have started build intimacy to a person who's dream is similar to yours but done in fashion what you do not approve) and so you can start question did he use charm change your views or are you under effect of a spell which manipulates your behavior (while in truth neither has occured and so you may realize that yourself  have started changed from interactions with my char). I plan avoid using charms to penetrate your mental defense to influence you.

And so drama occurs and then at that point there are possible endings how bubbling romance between two power hungry people may occur. I like keep the ending at moment open and so not 'spoil' the fun figure it out but this far I have planned the interaction between our chars Plot Hooks. I of course hope for a 'both parties favorable' ending.

Plot Hooks

QuoteOk, so seduction is ok but as note the same charm combo can apply also to seduction which is field what presence applies.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.    Seduction in itself is Ok without Charm use.     Basically it boils down to this.    If you use essence to try and change her mind and she finds out about, there will be a shit-storm.     You could try Seduction, or to even convince her of your cause through perfectly Mundane means and you're totally in the clear.    The instant she (Or I would think any solar or being period) finds out that you've been using essence against them, it's a whole other ball-game.

QuoteAlso note even if OOC you know reason why you need spend willpower it does not make you 'know' the reason IC. To IC when you burn willpower is simply put your own willpower resisting to fall into crazy ideas what people suggest to you.

Yes, that's exactly it.   And to someone who has a lore and occult rating out of the roof, who is methodical, the very fact that they find themselves wanting to do something that goes so entirely against their motivation would make them suspect.    Unless they were dumb.    She may not know exactly what you did, and she wouldn't be able to prove it for sure.   But she would know that something was up.   When you have urges that so go against your character, you're bound to think that something somewhere is wrong.

QuoteSo, in essence if your char spends time and my char grows interest on you, then my char is to you a handsome man with very influential presence. Example it tooks years of interaction with Palpatine with Anakin Skywalker to make him turn Darth Vader and some circumstances were needed to happen to make possible break Anakin's primary motivation and also break his old loyalties. Palpatine did not use any force powers brainwash Anakin, he simply manipulated him with social skills and persuasion and with his charisma.

Yea, again... different story.   Again, you are proposing using what amounts to Magic on my character to get your way.    That is not a slow process that takes years to accomplish.   It is a process that requires a point of willpower and a handful of motes to accomplish an effect that, compared to the effort Palpatine put in, is nearly instant.   

QuoteSo what I am saying is that I will try do social fu in field what I am good at but I want make also clear that you understand OOC wise how/why do it (and your char understanding what is going on IC wise). I could very well take that your char after spending few passionate nights with my char realizes how 'dangerously influencing' my char is (you realize you have started build intimacy to a person who's dream is similar to yours but done in fashion what you do not approve) and so you can start question did he use charm change your views or are you under effect of a spell which manipulates your behavior (while in truth neither has occured and so you may realize that yourself  have started changed from interactions with my char).

Heh, see... The thing is, that his dream is so dissimiliar to hers that I don't think that would happen without the use of charms.    Your character envisions a world where he's a god-emperor.    My character envisions a world full of individual kingdoms, and where humanity is able to protect itself, and where Gods and Exalted have been rendered obsolete.     She envisions a creation that can fend for itself.   

Again, once she realizes that you've been using mind-fuck charms on her, the game is over.      One or both of them is going down.     She is extremely family oriented, and once she realizes that you are an Enemy, then one of them's going to go down.

QuoteI like keep the ending at moment open and so not 'spoil' the fun figure it out but this far I have planned the interaction between our chars Plot Hooks.

Great.  I love having that all mapped out for me.   Saves me from thinking too much.  :P

Zaer Darkwail

Hehe, well my char is background wise from Scavenger Lands, so way how he would rule as god-emperor would be exact same way how kingdoms work in Scavenger lands; All independly but all answer the call for combined arms of might (led reasonably by Lookshy in such operations) against threats coming outside their kingdom. In truth my char would be down right poor governor of whole world (a small island kingdom, like Blessed Isle, he could manage) so he would like leave all matters handled by invidual countries but likes to have enough power to 'force matters' when he wants do so. So his eventual goal could be perhaps accetable to you? It could be bit more public than you initially thought to do things but same really.

Plot Hooks

It really all depends on how you play your cards.  ;)

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, in general idea from him is that he would take over Blessed Isle and form it as center of his power. Also he would like keep dragon-bloods as members of his army (if not, kill bunch of them and raise new generation of DB to live happily as cannon fobber). Then any celestial exalt is welcome join his court....but none them will have official power outside the isle in other countries (besides himself). If some rogue celestial up start starts make a mess somewhere then it is reeled in or killed.

Basically; turn Blessed Isle 'exalt only' place to live. It is no place for mortals (expect mortal slaves but even then dragon-blood is prefered as slave than mortal who lives short lives).

Plot Hooks

Oh yea.   Heh,  my character was a mortal slave before exaltation.   This will definately be good.

Zaer Darkwail

Good in what way? Good to cause trouble, or good that you agree on such 'rulership' :P. But at moment my char has no idea of other exalts than DB's and solars. But basic gist is that to get all exalts one place and away from mortal matters (ruled in Blessed Isle). But also emperor can have power control other country matters with absolute authority (who would dare defy emperor who has army of exalts :P) but he would not control other lands that much. Also ofc if some threat comes up then exalts move out from blessed isle stop it.

Terian

Is it too late to get in on this?

Zaer Darkwail

I think there is two caste spots left open in our solar circle :). I am Dawn, one was twilight sorceress, another a Zenith. So Night and Eclipse castes are unoccupied so far as I know.

DreadD

Sorry for not being around, Holidays and all, I should be posting more in depth tomorrow.