Write in George W Bush for 2008!

Started by Vekseid, July 08, 2008, 08:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Kye

Brandon

So it seems the religous nuts are at it again. I think its time for someone new though. Granted they have their right to write his name in and try to remove the 22nd amendment but I guess all I can say to them is good luck
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Trieste

The 22nd amendment is the one outlawing slavery, right? ... right?

Oh, wait, wrong fundies. Whoops!

Sherona

Quote from: Brandon on July 08, 2008, 09:29:57 PM
So it seems the religous nuts are at it again. I think its time for someone new though. Granted they have their right to write his name in and try to remove the 22nd amendment but I guess all I can say to them is good luck

um

just to let you know

it seems as if the writers of this website might possibly be making a joke. It is not religious 'nuts' atleast not how I read it. *Points to the tongue-in-cheek statement about bumperstickers etc and so forth*...

Brandon

Im not going to try and read into anything except what it says. Thinking that its something else could be right but it could also be completly wrong. Lots of things are taken out of context or things like satire are not translated well, flame wars are often caused by something not coming across well or at all. So Im not going to assume it says something other then what it acctually says.

With that said, I still think they are some religious nuts to say God wants bush as the 2008 president and that man's law shouldnt matter because gods law says he should be president
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

I agree with Sherona. It looks like a joke :) the bumpersticker bit is either a dead give away, or the authors of this site are a little... blind.

Trieste

I think it says a lot for the state of the internet that nobody is ever sure whether stuff like this is serious ... or a hoax. :P

Psi

Quote from: Brandon on July 08, 2008, 09:29:57 PM

Based on my understanding, he can't run as he has already done 2 terms.

However as for the religious nuts, when did they stop?

Trieste

22nd amendment, Psi, is (according to that site) the one that limits to 2 terms.

Prior to the passage of that amendment (whichever one it is), the standard had been 2 terms, because that is all that George Washington served before stepping down (according to anecdote, he was afraid that serving more would turn him into a de facto monarch, and he did not want that after fighting so damned hard to get rid of the last one)... I believe someone was elected to a third term prior to FDR's legendary four consecutive terms, but it was FDR that really scared people into he amendment. Had he not died, he would have been President for sixteen years... and then people would get comfortable... they don't like change... and you have a president-for-life.

As it turns out, he was only President for 12, and died before he could be inaugurated on the fourth term (I  could be mistaken, here, as I'm going from memory) ... but the spectre of a Good Ol' Boy's Club entrenching a person permanently in what has become one of the most powerful positions in the world was scary enough to pass an amendment. Do you have any idea how difficult that is? :P

Ahm... /history lesson ... /hijack

Sherona

QuoteI still think they are some religious nuts to say God wants bush as the 2008 president and that man's law shouldnt matter because gods law says he should be president

While I will refrain from using derogatory words such as "nuts", I do believe that there are those who might think God appointed Bush (really is it any different then when people believed that God appoints who would be Royalty, who would be Noble, who would be Serf?) I also know that there are some religious GROUPS who believe Bush is the Anti-christ.

*shrugs* People have a right to believe what hey want to believe.

But yes T. you are correct, it was generally just a courtesy for presidents to step down after Washington. FDR incident did cause the congress to add that admentment..but still ahve to say I really do think that fdr was a bettter president ten alot..;)

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sherona on July 09, 2008, 07:50:02 AM
but still ahve to say I really do think that fdr was a bettter president ten alot..;)

*nods in agreement*

*laughs*  Sounded like a joke to me!!!

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Trieste

FDR was indeed a damn fine prez. Not perfect, but nobody is... he brought us through some very difficult periods, though we're sort of still paying for his 'temporary' social programs... -_-;

While I will refrain from using derogatory words such as "nuts". . .

Dude, that's nothing. You should hear the bolts who want to put Cheney in charge of the NRA! And the screws who lobbied for Clinton to be ambassador to Cuba (love the cigars...)!

;D

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Trieste on July 09, 2008, 11:26:50 AM
FDR was indeed a damn fine prez. Not perfect, but nobody is... he brought us through some very difficult periods, though we're sort of still paying for his 'temporary' social programs... -_-;

Dude, that's nothing. You should hear the bolts who want to put Cheney in charge of the NRA! And the screws who lobbied for Clinton to be ambassador to Cuba (love the cigars...)!

;D

*giggles*
Ons and Offs

Sherona

Quote from: Trieste on July 09, 2008, 11:26:50 AM

;D

*ROFL* that was just too funny.

Yes FDR was not perfect, but name me a perfect politician in ANY country and I will then nominate him for the role fo God of some obscure religion ;)

The Social security program was suppose to be temporary, not sure why it ended up being permanent. ;)

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sherona on July 09, 2008, 11:32:35 AM

The Social security program was suppose to be temporary, not sure why it ended up being permanent. ;)

Because everybody wanted it to be. . .
Ons and Offs

Trieste

Quote from: Sherona on July 09, 2008, 11:32:35 AM

Because you cannot take away free money from people. It's political suicide. I don't know about you, Sherona, but I am going to school on loans from the Department of Education, as are many of the students I go to school with ... if the government abruptly said "Well, we can't afford all of this stuff anymore, but we can't cut food stams, so we're cutting Federal loans..." You would have not only students, but also parents and professors up in arms.

Once you give someone a hand up, they are not willing to let it go... so we are stuck with paying farmer's subsidies, student loans, food stamps, Section 8, welfare assistance, we give tax breaks for families... I'm not saying all of this stuff is necessarily a bad thing... but even the things we no longer need are perpetuated by the fact that everybody loves a free lunch.

And if this turns into a discussion on social programs, it probably should be moved to politics and religion ... I am trying very very very very very hard not to hijack it after this. Honest!

OldSchoolGamer

While I will refrain from using derogatory words such as "nuts", I do believe that there are those who might think God appointed Bush (really is it any different then when people believed that God appoints who would be Royalty, who would be Noble, who would be Serf?) I also know that there are some religious GROUPS who believe Bush is the Anti-christ.

There are also sites saying the same thing about Obama.  People with way too much time on their hands...

I think eventually everyone is going to get to be the Antichrist for fifteen minutes.  When my turn comes, I'm going to play Second Edition D&D while listening to Black Sabbath records...backwards.  That, and maybe have a couple goth chicks worship me.

Inkidu

Just like they thought Regan was the antichrist? I doubt the antichrist will be an American president. It'll probably be one of the Power Rangers! XP
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShrowdedPoet

Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on July 15, 2008, 09:34:53 AM
EXACTLY!!!

I knew those costumed freaks would bring about the end of days!  :-X
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

I guess it really is a joke...you would have to be smoking a pile of incredibly super XXX hardcore ganja the size of the entire island of Jamaica to even seriously consider this.