Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder) Recruitment Thread

Started by Pointless Digression, December 10, 2012, 05:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Tristessa is a Winter Witch, possibly with Dimentional Occultist or Changling WItch thrown in.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Anon315

Should he come into being, unnamed catfolk will be a heavens oracle. (Ironic, yes, but there are many heavens.)

Shjade

Considering her not-quite-balanced connection to reality after spending so much time basically chasing ghosts, I think it might be reasonable to think of Luvata as a Spirit Ranger (considering that replaces hunter's bond and, well, she doesn't really seem like the bonding type)...or Skirmisher so I don't have to learn all these spells oh god why are there so many. I don't know. x.x
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I think Ranger and Paladin spells suck, but partially because I hate Vancian magic."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Shjade

I think I don't have enough experience with the game to even tell which ones are useful and which ones are useless. xD Maybe Skirmisher would be more sensible.
◕/◕'s

Roketto

Fluff-aside, the mechanics of the Freebooter Ranger are pretty good.  As are the Trapper and Falconer.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2012, 04:49:21 PM
I think I don't have enough experience with the game to even tell which ones are useful and which ones are useless. xD Maybe Skirmisher would be more sensible.

"Go with Skirmisher, it's definitely easier to figure out what's good and what's not there."

BraveEarth

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 04:42:41 PM
"I think Ranger and Paladin spells suck, but partially because I hate Vancian magic."

First off all Pathfinder Magic is Vancian... secondly, Rangers get a few really nice spells, Lead Blades come to mind. As far as Paladin I never studied their list...

Wanders away...

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: BraveEarth on December 13, 2012, 05:05:50 PM
First off all Pathfinder Magic is Vancian... secondly, Rangers get a few really nice spells, Lead Blades come to mind. As far as Paladin I never studied their list...

Wanders away...

B.E B.E B.E! BE MINE FOREVER!

Pointless Digression

I'll be on for a little while yet, but it doesn't look like there's anything that needs my attention regarding the game. I've written in to a couple of people in messages about some character questions, but it looks like it's just a question of waiting to give everyone a fair chance to sign up and then making my decisions.

The thread was moved, so that little mistake was cleared up. Thanks for catching it, R, and sorry for mistaking you for R.

Shjade

Quote from: Roketto on December 13, 2012, 04:51:55 PM
Fluff-aside, the mechanics of the Freebooter Ranger are pretty good.  As are the Trapper and Falconer.

Perhaps, but there's zero piracy element in the character. Falconer either. Trapper maybe from the hunting, but was aiming for something more pursuit/combat-oriented given her apparent methodology. Infiltrator was a thought, too, but I dunno, I think Skirmisher seems nice and simple for a beginner. But what do I know. xD

Hey BraveEarth, been a while. :D
◕/◕'s

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: BraveEarth on December 13, 2012, 05:05:50 PM

Wanders away...

"I'm well aware that all Pathfinder magic is Vancian, and I think Vancian magic is pretty much the worst part of DnD as a whole. It's much worse when you add it to a martial character and in tiny doses that make it barely worth having."

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 05:42:40 PM
"I'm well aware that all Pathfinder magic is Vancian, and I think Vancian magic is pretty much the worst part of DnD as a whole. It's much worse when you add it to a martial character and in tiny doses that make it barely worth having."

I always liked Vancian magic.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Vancian magic (and daily resources in general) are one of the reasons I favor 4E, at least in mechanics. I favor Pathfinder in the end, because it does its best to balance some of these issues and does it with a great fluff, and can be played without miniatures much more easily."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Oh, hey, so how many of you are familiar with the Pathfinder MMO in the works?"

BraveEarth

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 05:53:00 PM
"Vancian magic (and daily resources in general) are one of the reasons I favor 4E, at least in mechanics. I favor Pathfinder in the end, because it does its best to balance some of these issues and does it with a great fluff, and can be played without miniatures much more easily."

Also don't forget the lack of play the Vancian System puts on the Magic system.

Roketto

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 06:23:49 PM
"Oh, hey, so how many of you are familiar with the Pathfinder MMO in the works?"

Heck yeah.  Hit up that kickstarter and throw a couple bucks at it if ya can.  Great stuff.

I doubt it'll be the next WoW, but at least the flavor should be good.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I've already signed up for the $100 one, just because they've mentioned a lot of things I've said I would want in my own perfect MMO. In my eyes, it wouldn't be hard to beat WoW (maybe not monetarily, but as a game), just by being a company that doesn't treat its fanbase like ATMs."

Shjade

The MMO info was looking pretty interesting until I got to this part:

"Some of the prerequistes for archetype merit badges will be hard to achieve and will require your character to succeed in some extraordinary adventures."

How this translates to me from MMO-speak: You have to complete a raid just to hit your level cap.

...uh. That sounds obnoxious as hell for folks who don't enjoy that kind of content. The one thing you could pretty much always do on your own in an MMO is hit the level cap. :|
◕/◕'s

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Shjade on December 13, 2012, 07:34:04 PM

"Some of the prerequistes for archetype merit badges will be hard to achieve and will require your character to succeed in some extraordinary adventures."

How this translates to me from MMO-speak: You have to complete a raid just to hit your level cap.

...uh. That sounds obnoxious as hell for folks who don't enjoy that kind of content. The one thing you could pretty much always do on your own in an MMO is hit the level cap. :|

Ah limit breaks and final fantasy 11 - How i loathe thee.

ExisD

I would hope, given the rest of the game, that this means there is enough content not at the level cap to keep people occupied for a long time. Especially since they were talking about it taking years to hit level 20. Though I am really hoping they won't include a huge vertical progression in gear to make up for the lack of advancement many people would feel from such slow leveling.

Roketto

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 13, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
"I've already signed up for the $100 one, just because they've mentioned a lot of things I've said I would want in my own perfect MMO. In my eyes, it wouldn't be hard to beat WoW (maybe not monetarily, but as a game), just by being a company that doesn't treat its fanbase like ATMs."

Yeah...  Agreed.  Blizzard is just such a monster of a corporation, it's hard to beat that much money backing their advertising.

I don't think they mean level cap there, so much as unlocking specific archetypes.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Doubtful, this isn't a themepark MMO, not every MMO relies on raids and crappy endgame content. They've noted a lack of interest in 'end-game', and raids are very specifically end-game."

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: ExisD on December 13, 2012, 07:40:27 PM
I would hope, given the rest of the game, that this means there is enough content not at the level cap to keep people occupied for a long time. Especially since they were talking about it taking years to hit level 20. Though I am really hoping they won't include a huge vertical progression in gear to make up for the lack of advancement many people would feel from such slow leveling.

"Ugh... Gear grinding is cancer of MMOs... I hate that people think it's a good thing..."

Shjade

Quote from: Roketto on December 13, 2012, 07:41:10 PM
I don't think they mean level cap there, so much as unlocking specific archetypes.

Right. And you need to unlock all the archetypes to get the level 20 capstone. So yes, that is what they mean there.

The quoted material is also directly under the heading "Reaching 20th level"

@ExisD: I'm sure there's plenty of content, but I'm not worried about running out of content under such a model. I'm annoyed that it seems to be implying if I ever want to capstone a character I have to do some crazy (and likely impossible to solo) content to do so. I don't mind having inferior gear to the endgame grind type folks. I don't need all the purples to feel special. I do like to feel that I've "completed" a character, though.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. x.x;
◕/◕'s