Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (Potterverse) - Recruiting (FOR MALES & FEMALES!)

Started by persephone325, January 05, 2014, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

I always see a lot of HP games, and figured it was time for a change of pace. Hopefully this might appeal to a good number of people. ^^

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic
A posse ad esse
From possibility to actuality

Beauxbatons is a beautiful wizarding school, located in the Palace of Beauxbatons near Cannes in Southern France. It is unplottable on any map, which protects the school from muggles and rival schools. It is also disguised, so no one can find it unless they know to look for it.

The Palace of Beauxbatons is a brightly lit place. It is presumably newer than Hogwarts or Durmstrang Castles. The students and staff take education quite seriously, and it can be said that their curriculum is better than that of Hogwarts.

Beauxbatons is home to three mansions:

Traits - Kindness, artistic ability, maturity, and idealisticness
Color - Purple
Symbol - Butterfly
Students sorted into Papillonlisse mansion are naturally gifted in the arts, and they are kind and gentle to everyone around them. They are usually quite sociable and fluttery. Much like a butterfly. Though they can be quite unpredictable. Students are prized for their sophistication and maturity at all ages. They value beauty of the mind and beauty of appearance over many other characteristics. Papillonlisse students are characteristically daydreamers and hopeless romantics, and wish to change the world with their idealism and undying love. They are hardly analytical, and often don't see things for what they are. Students sorted here value the humanist approach to the world. They also don't learn for the sake of gathering knowledge, but to become a better person. Though they tend to be introverts, Papillonlisse students are often very emotional and bring strong feelings and dedication to their work.

Traits - Cunning, logic, ambition, and curiosity
Color - Grey
Symbol - Moon
The members of this mansion are very often those that prescribe to the concept of “the end justifies the means”, as they can be manipulative and cunning. They are very cool and calculating students who are very adverse to irrationality and prize people for making well thought-out and logical decisions. Ombrelune students are cold, rarely display emotion openly unless they see some direct gain in doing so. They are in the most ambitious of the Beauxbatons mansions. They are very smart, logical and structured. They are very curious interested in the world and the intricate way it works in. Ombrelune students often strive for power and perfection more than anything else.

Traits - Bravery, sensitivity, loyalty, and love of nature
Color - Green
Symbol - Five leaves
The students that are members of this mansion are lovers of nature with a strong sense of bravery and loyalty to all they hold dear to them. These students are caring and sensitive to people's needs around them. They are hard and efficient workers and are characteristically book smart. The students sorted into this mansion think the necessities of life are what is important they prize family and friends above all else. Bellefeuille students often feel a strong connection with nature, are caring and kind to animals and respect all aspects of flora and fauna. They often have a good and quick perception of the emotions around them, know how to act accordingly in most situations. Bellefeuille students are realists through and through. May it be that they are not the smartest, they surely get their work done. Those of Bellefeuille usually find physical activities more enjoyable than those that require logical thinking, and are often skilled with their hands, knowing how to craft different things.

So, this will probably be much like Kendra and Aiden's HP game. Though the structure will be different, as Beauxbatons' is a bit more disciplined than Hogwarts is.

I will be accepting male and female students. In the movie, Beauxbatons was portrayed as an all girls school. But I feel like doing so for this RP would limit the creative outlets and events that could happen.

If this game generates enough interest and players, I had an idea to message Kendra and Aiden to see if we could collaborate some kind of activity both schools could participate in.

I will also be looking for a GM if the game gets big enough. And once there is enough interest, I'll put up a character sheet.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

Here is the character sheet. Please PM it to me and MabFaerie!
You must read and agree to this! It is common sense!
Face claims - Look here to see if the person you're using is available or not!
Post here when accepted (Character Sheets)
OOC Thread
Game Information - Wand cores, wand woods, faculty listing, student services listing, dorm listing, etc.
School information

Please note
The IC year is 2014
Students' abilities manifest around the 13 - 15 age range (That said, they still have NO CONTROL over their abilities)
Acceptance letters are sent when a student turns 16
Students must be a French resident (or from the surrounding area) to receive a letter at all
Students cannot control their magic until they have attended their first year at Beauxbatons
Muggles have no knowledge of magic, unless they are the immediate family of a witch or wizard
Use of magic in the muggle world, and it front of muggles, is illegal
Only the listed bloodlines are available for use (In association with pureblood, halfblood, and muggleborn)

Classes needing teachers
Art
Astronomy
Flying
History of Magic
Janitorial and security positions are also available for PCs and NPCs.

Student Sheet
[float=left][img height=300]IMAGE URL HERE[/img][/float][b]Character's Name:[/b]
[b]Nickname:[/b] (If applicable)
[b]Character's Age & Birth date:[/b] (See below)
[b]Birthplace:[/b]
[b]Current Residence:[/b] (France, or the surrounding area)
[b]Blood Status:[/b] (Please include any special blood status such as: Veela, giant, etc. See below for more info.)
[b]Wand:[/b] (See below; Answer the questions as your character, NOT yourself. Only copy the result in box. Leave the graphs out. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING!)
[b]Beauxbatons Mansion/Year:[/b] (See below for Mansion)
[b]Pet:[/b] (Owl or any other elegant bird, cat, etc. Beauxbatons doesn't usually accept toads, snakes, rats, or animals that aren't really "elegant" or "cultured". Though exceptions can be made.)
[b]Special Possessions:[/b] (Anything super magical must be approved by the GM(s). Ex: Invisibility cloak, time-turner, deluminator, etc.)

[center][i][b]Appearance[/b][/i][/center]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b] (Description is required.)
[b]Other Notable  Features:[/b] (Scars, birthmarks, tattoos, etc.)

[center][i][b]In Depth[/b][/i][/center]

[b]Personality:[/b] (A good paragraph, or a list 5 traits)

[b]History:[/b] (At least 2 paragraphs. Include notable events, how he/she came into their powers, etc. Anything related to their magical abilities and upbringing.)

[b]Family:[/b] (Immediate family and a little bit about them. Include important bloodline information - should there be any. If you want a pureblood character, you will need to justify this by including more family bloodline information.)

[b]Likes:[/b] (Non Sexual)
[b]Dislikes:[/b] (Non Sexual)
[b]Fears:[/b]
[b]Favorite Animal(s):[/b]
[b]Favorite Color(s):[/b]

[right][size=8pt][b]Player name[/b][/size][/right]

Faculty Sheet
[float=left][img height=300]IMAGE URL HERE[/img][/float][b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Birth date & Age:[/b]
[b]Bloodstatus:[/b]
[b]Wand:[/b]
[b]Beauxbatons Alumni:[/b] (Which mansion did they belong to while they were a student?)
[b]Class(es):[/b] (What class(es) do they teach?)
[b]Special Abilities:[/b] (Nothing overly powerful here!)

[center][i][b]Appearance[/b][/i][/center]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Other Notable Features:[/b]

[center][i][b]In Depth[/b][/i][/center]

[b]Personality:[/b] (A good paragraph, or a list 5 traits)

[b]History:[/b] (At least 3 paragraphs. Include notable events, how he/she came to be a professor. Anything related to their teaching abilities.)

[b]Likes:[/b] (Non sexual)
[b]Dislikes:[/b] (Non sexual)

[right][size=8pt][b]Player name[/b][/size][/right]

If multiple characters have the same wand, I will post them up and ask them to retake the test. Wands are specific to each witch and wizard, and there are many combinations of woods and cores. It is common for siblings/twins to have the same wand, or even for a wand to be passed down through family. (As was the case for the Weasley family.)

Alternatively, you may choose to make your own wand by picking a wood and a core which you believe will suit your character.

Woods & Cores

Blood Status
Veela - No fullblood Veela are allowed. 1/4 or 1/8 only. Veela men are extremely rare, and it is argued if they even exist at all.
(Current Veela male count - 2; Maximum at current time - 3)
Giant - No fullblood Giants are allowed.
Fae - No fullblood Fae are allowed. (1/2 may be approved under certain circumstances.)
Siren - No fullblood Siren are allowed. Similar to Veela, but with a few notable abilities. Like Veela, male Sirens are extremely rare.
(More may be added.)

Ages & Birth Dates
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
1st year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1997 and September 1st 1998
2nd year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1996 and September 1st 1997
3rd year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1995 and September 1st 1996
4th year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1994 and September 1st 1995
5th year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1993 and September 1st 1994
6th year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1992 and September 1st 1993
7th year students - born sometime between September 2nd 1991 and September 1st 1992
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

PhantomPistoleer

I hope the third spot isn't reserved, because I'm very interested.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Florence

This rp has my interest!

As for the boys student thing... could always make up some plot reason why its been renovated into a co-ed school :o maybe the nearest boys' school had some kind of accident... which basically resulted in the entire school being destroyed. If Hogwarts is any indication, that's probably not a very unlikely scenario in the wizarding world.

Edit: Just thought I'd point out that this is super well timed for my interest! I just recently got Magical Diary off Steam and played through it xD

(If you haven't played it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211340/ basically, you play a customized female student at a Harry Potter-esque magic school, and comedy/drama/romance happens from there. Short game, but a pretty decent amount of replay value. Though if you can't stand visual novels, then its not for you.)
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 05, 2014, 10:43:38 PM
This rp has my interest!

As for the boys student thing... could always make up some plot reason why its been renovated into a co-ed school :o maybe the nearest boys' school had some kind of accident... which basically resulted in the entire school being destroyed. If Hogwarts is any indication, that's probably not a very unlikely scenario in the wizarding world.

Well, Beauxbatons wasn't an all girls school to begin with. In the books, there are mentions of male students.
I don't know.

Florence

Oh, well... in that case... nevermind then!

It's been ages since I've read the books, so I'm a little rusty xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

persephone325

I'd say if we get two more interested parties, then I'll put up a character sheet.

I'm also not going to restrict ethnicity. But in order to attend the school, students must be living in France, or the surrounding area. They can be born anywhere, but it makes more sense (and is easier) if they live near the school in order to attend it.
I don't know.

Florence

That sounds fair to me :o I've played Frenchies before, I can do it again!

I assume no knowledge of the language is actually required, right? Safe to assume they're probably all speaking French unless specifically stated otherwise, right?

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 01:58:09 AM
That sounds fair to me :o I've played Frenchies before, I can do it again!

I assume no knowledge of the language is actually required, right? Safe to assume they're probably all speaking French unless specifically stated otherwise, right?

Yes. Once we get more interest, I can post threads with info about the school.
I don't know.

Florence

Can't wait :D

Edit: Question that just occurred to me: How will sorting work? Will we chose where our character goes, or will that be chosen based on their personality?

Another Edit: I'm too excited for this rp xD I keep refreshing the thread and thinking of character ideas. This is like... the EXACT kind of rp I've been craving.

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 02:13:26 AM
Can't wait :D

Edit: Question that just occurred to me: How will sorting work? Will we chose where our character goes, or will that be chosen based on their personality?

Another Edit: I'm too excited for this rp xD I keep refreshing the thread and thinking of character ideas. This is like... the EXACT kind of rp I've been craving.

Sorting was something I thought about for quite a while. I think I'll make up a little quiz for students to answer, and sort them based on that. I'll be using their personality as a factor, too.
I don't know.

Flower

RubySlippers

I'm in if they will accommodate my character wanting to have some Muggle career preparation in there someplace, Homeschooling is allowed it should be easy to have that be official for the Muggle government and have tutors and job training in there as school electives. While she meets the basic requirements for magical studies.

Well she is a modern witch this is not the dark ages one needs more to function with a career in the Muggle world.

Is the concept to weird if she wants to say study to  be a barber or learn to repair cars later on?

persephone325

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 03:43:36 PM
Is the concept to weird if she wants to say study to  be a barber or learn to repair cars later on?

Magically? That's fine. Though I don't think there would be too much in depth schooling on that at Beauxbatons...
I don't know.

Florence

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Muggle_Studies

For reference, that was an optional part of the Hogwarts curriculum :o

also would it be fair to say, given the frenchy artsy nature of the school, they probably have some pretty good art/music/drama type classes? :o

persephone325

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 03:55:10 PM

also would it be fair to say, given the frenchy artsy nature of the school, they probably have some pretty good art/music/drama type classes? :o

There are no Muggle Studies at Beauxbatons.

And yes. There are drama, music, art and writing electives.
I don't know.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 03:55:10 PM

So I could take that and in the end enter a Muggle career for example a massage therapist with broad skills for relaxation and medical related therapies?

I picture my character again being great at hands on learning but not good with books and parchment she will work hard to stay ahead, I might make her Dyslexic and not accommodated for as easily at the school with modern tools like iPads and such she can compensate. Her parents will refuse magical treatment seeing it as not a medical problem needing it. But the books and scrolls and such will be an issue.  ^_^

Unless technology works at the school.

Florence

So far my idea for a student is a girl named Sylvianne Chastain. I'm working on the details, but I have in my head that she has a love of music and one of her great passions is classical singing.

persephone325

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 04:16:44 PM
So I could take that and in the end enter a Muggle career for example a massage therapist with broad skills for relaxation and medical related therapies?

I picture my character again being great at hands on learning but not good with books and parchment she will work hard to stay ahead, I might make her Dyslexic and not accommodated for as easily at the school with modern tools like iPads and such she can compensate. Her parents will refuse magical treatment seeing it as not a medical problem needing it. But the books and scrolls and such will be an issue.  ^_^

Unless technology works at the school.

There are no Muggle Studies at Beauxbatons.

And technology won't work at the school. Only certain, enchanted, items will. But they will be enchanted by professors and staff and for use in the classroom only. Unless otherwise stated.
I don't know.

RubySlippers

She is a disabled witch the school will just need to accommodate her. French law is pretty clear on the rights of disabled citizens and even the magical community are not better than anyone else or above the law.

Florence

I'm pretty sure Muggle laws don't apply to the magical community.

I'm sure they probably have some spell or like... enchanted glasses or some some other magical artifact that could help with that. I mean. Magic.

persephone325

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 05:11:35 PM
She is a disabled witch the school will just need to accommodate her. French law is pretty clear on the rights of disabled citizens and even the magical community are not better than anyone else or above the law.

I'm not saying the magical community is above the law. However, Beauxbatons' curriculum is not the same as Hogwarts curriculum. (If that's what you're asking.)

However, if your inquiry is about her needing something electronic to help her through school, then yes. There are exceptions to that rule.

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 06, 2014, 05:27:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Muggle laws don't apply to the magical community.

I'm sure they probably have some spell or like... enchanted glasses or some some other magical artifact that could help with that. I mean. Magic.

Yeah. Pretty much.
I don't know.

RubySlippers

So French witches and wizards born on French soil are not French citizens? I figured from the HP Books they respected British Muggle Law when dealing in general law and with Muggles and added magical laws in areas unique to the magical world. That would likely be the norm.

I'm not arguing to argue this was never covering in the books but if the Muggle leaders got the magical leaders thought they were above the law of say France how long would the magical community maintain Muggle government support? With cell phone cameras and the internet the governments need to work together to hide things its not the year 1800 after all.

Florence

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 06, 2014, 06:01:44 PM
So French witches and wizards born on French soil are not French citizens? I figured from the HP Books they respected British Muggle Law when dealing in general law and with Muggles and added magical laws in areas unique to the magical world. That would likely be the norm.

I'm not arguing to argue this was never covering in the books but if the Muggle leaders got the magical leaders thought they were above the law of say France how long would the magical community maintain Muggle government support? With cell phone cameras and the internet the governments need to work together to hide things its not the year 1800 after all.

Because magic.

... honestly, I know I'm not the GM here, but all this just seems like its severely over-complicating things. They're wizards. Magic.

Why aren't pictures of Hogwarts and such whatnot all over the internet from cell phone cameras? Because magic.

Besides, if they violate some law about how schools are supposed to handle disabilities... what is the French muggle government going to do? I mean, first of all, how are they going to find out? And... what are they going to do about it? Its a magical school enchanted specifically so that muggles can't find it.

Niferbelle

I'm keeping my eye on this as well. I'm posting slowly lately though so if that's an issue it would be good to know from the start :)