Broken Key

Started by Sure, April 12, 2012, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sure

Hello,

My "d" key isn't working properly. Often when I hit it, it simply doesn't type. Other times it will not stop typing and one hit will give something like "dddddddddddddddddddd" instead. Also, even when it does work, it tends to be slower. For example, when I type "tends" I have to pause between d and s or else it will type tensd. It's a laptop keyboard so replacement wouldn't be particularly easy. Any help/ideas/suggestions?

-Sure

Vekseid

Replacement laptop keyboards can often be ordered from the manufacturer, and are often one of the more straightforward parts in a laptop to replace.

You can try popping the key and cleaning it, but some people make their issue worse by doing that.

Beguile's Mistress

I've been though that with my laptop and couldn't figure out how to replace the keyboard so I went with an external keyboard.  Looking around one day to see what a replacement keyboard for my laptop would cost I found directions on how to replace the screen on mine and that told me how to replace the keyboard.  I bought one for $25 US after the third external one bit the dust

It was a relatively simple fix once I found directions and pretty cheap, too. 

Sure

My laptop has distinct keys, I can remove individual ones, so would I still need to deal with the entire keyboard?

A replacement keyboard from the manufacturer is about $50-60 and would take about a week to get here, so I'd prefer to avoid that though I can if needs be.

I have tried popping the key off and replacing it, though not the retainer or cap/cup, which didn't hurt or help.

Oh, and another related issue: If I hold down the D key (which I do often enough, since it's "turn right" in a good deal of games) it doesn't stop typing d for quite some time.

jouzinka

If you are having this problem across programs, Sure, I'm rather inclined to believe that the problem is hardware based. In that case a keyboard replacement of some fashion will be needed. I've never heard of a keyboard where you could replace a single key and go on using it. Does the keyboard react when you pop out the key, but push the remaining part anyway? Does it react the same or differently? If it reacts correctly, you might clean the key itself for remnants of sticky liquid (sweetened beverage) and see if it helps...
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Sure

Quote from: jouzinka on April 12, 2012, 03:24:05 PM
If you are having this problem across programs, Sure, I'm rather inclined to believe that the problem is hardware based. In that case a keyboard replacement of some fashion will be needed. I've never heard of a keyboard where you could replace a single key and go on using it. Does the keyboard react when you pop out the key, but push the remaining part anyway? Does it react the same or differently? If it reacts correctly, you might clean the key itself for remnants of sticky liquid (sweetened beverage) and see if it helps...

It is across programs.

It reacts in basically the same way, though slightly less likely to have problems. They're still there, though. I have cleaned it, which doesn't appear to have had much effect.

Endless

A temporary solution until you're able to fix things is perhaps having the Onscreen Keyboard program up to type 'd''s? (Providing your laptop has it)

Might help out a bit until you are able to get a proper fix working:)