News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Eye of Horus, June 14, 2018, 06:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Quote from: Kitteredge on February 02, 2021, 09:05:45 PM
You seem to believe the UK deserves special treatment for some reason.
Not at all, the article suggests that a deal was offered and then retracted.

Chaeronea

Quote from: Haibane on February 04, 2021, 07:32:10 PM
Not at all, the article suggests that a deal was offered and then retracted.

Can you cite any evidence of this? The link quoting 21st April is only to a website outlining the new regulations that exporters have to comply with when exporting to the EU and Ireland.

Because the article from Politics Home which was linked in the article you cited Kingfisher Seafoods Limited’s director, Rob Benson, said that the business he set up 17 years ago with co-director, Dr Omar Namor, was facing collapse. “Our sales have dropped off a cliff since December 31st. We were bracing ourselves to keep going until April but this news has all but destroyed any hope we had of the future...This is not new EU policy. This has always been there. This is the government not doing their job to safeguard the industry.... It’s like saying a policeman who’s been on the beat for the last 50 years didn’t know the law”.

So the indication quoted is that the EU laws have remained the same, the British government have promised there would be changes but there are none. There's nothing saying the EU reneged on a promise for special treatment of the UK, like you are saying. The onus of blame in the article is on the British government, not the EU.

On an unrelated note, as a fan of Marvel comics I am quite amused that the co-director of a seafood company has the surname Namor, the same name as that of Marvel's King of Atlantis.   :)

Haibane

I got the understanding that a deal had been offered then retracted from the BBC article. Nowhere else. Where would a date of 21st April be magicked up from? I cannot believe someone at Downing Street would be so crass and stupid as to just pull a date from thin air and offer it as a promise to UK fishermen for a change of EU law. Politicians do dumb things but nothing so heartless as this, surely? In addition what was the need for Brussels to communicate to Downing Street that the law would not change? If there never was any discussion about it and the whole thing was imagined by Downing Street then a communication from Brussels makes no sense. Even though there's no smoking gun the simple circumstances of the report itself with logic applied to the events related in it, makes it seem very likely that the EU made an offer that was later retracted, or at least held out a suggestion of a different arrangement.

Haibane

I've just read the article you linked to and the answer is in there:

"The UK government told affected businesses and PoliticsHome that this ban was set to expire on April 21, when Brussels implemented new animal health legislation.

However, a European Commission official last week wrote to the British shellfish industry stating that the ban, which is impacting shellfish traders in England and Wales in particular, would remain in place indefinitely and would also include farmed shellfish."

Bold italics are mine. So yes, Brussels gave some indication there would be a change, then there wasn't.