Al Qadim - Arabian Adventures (D&D 3E, PF or maybe AD&D 2)

Started by Cassandra LeMay, December 06, 2015, 12:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Thanks Cass.  :) 

I'm going to rule that there are racial langueges in the Land of Fate--though they might not be the same ones spoken in other parts of the Realms--or at least vastly changed.  You get yours for free.  It would be similar to how imigrants to the USA grew up speaking english but pick up enoguh of their ancestral languege to speak with thier grandmother in the languege of her youth.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on December 29, 2015, 06:23:34 PM
I'm going to rule that there are racial langueges in the Land of Fate--though they might not be the same ones spoken in other parts of the Realms--or at least vastly changed.  You get yours for free.  ...
Does that apply to reading/writing too?

I guess it boils down to what written languages are there for the various spoken languages (?)

(Might also be worth an update to the character profile/character creation thread perhaps?)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

RubySlippers

Well not everyone would be literate Bard's pick it up the other classes have a proficiency for it. But if Muse is nice we can also Read/Write one language.

Muse

I try to be nice and say if you take the reading and writing proficiency it applies to every languege you know. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Well, I've finally dug up my 2e and AQ books...Good grief, box full of dust and loose pages.

I'll try to have a bash at a character up in the next day or two. I understand we're still a bit lean on desert survival?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Thorne

So far. I've got urban survival (... what do you mean, rat isn't food? Do you /want/ to starve?), but that's not going to help much finding water in the desert. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Gott im Himmel, Dicebot, what did I ever DO to you?! Soooo many 1s...

(Rolls are linked to their respective dicebot pages, rerolls are linked separately...If I reroll and get another 1, do I reroll that? I haven't yet...)

Dice Antics
Roll 1: 3 1 6 1 (5 1) = 14 (Does this 1 in the reroll also get rerolled?)

Roll 2: 3 2 2 6 = 11

Roll 3: 4 1 6 5 (3) = 15

Roll 4: 5 6 1 1 (4 4) = 15

Roll 5: 1 2 4 3 (2) = 9

Roll 6: 2 6 4 3 = 13

Roll 7: 6 2 5 1 (6) = 17

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Muse

That's actually not a bad spread, but yes, keep re rolling ones till you get a not one result. 

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on December 31, 2015, 06:47:01 PM
That's actually not a bad spread, but yes, keep re rolling ones till you get a not one result.

Okay, rerolling the reroll of the 1 which was also a 1.
At 2015-12-31 18:54:55, CarnivalOfTheGoat (uid: 27539) rolls: 1d6 Result: 1 Pfffffffffff!

Aaaaand rerolling the reroll of the reroll of the 1 which was a 1...
At 2015-12-31 18:55:16, CarnivalOfTheGoat (uid: 27539) rolls: 1d6 Result: 3

Well.

I suppose it could've been a 2 (already had a 3 in the original roll). But as you say, it isn't a bad spread at all! Above average even for 4d6r3.

I am poking about the possibilities of a multiclass Mercenary Barbarian/Mystic, although I note we're lacking anyone really wizardly...I just am not a fond of playing wizards, particularly at first level in 2e where you throw your spell-of-the-day and are reduced to being an incompetent stick-carrier for the remainder of the 24 hour period.

P.S. Was looking at an al-Badia character to offset all of you weak and decadent urbanites.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Chulanowa

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 31, 2015, 06:59:24 PM
P.S. Was looking at an al-Badia character to offset all of you weak and decadent urbanites.

Yes! come join us in the majesty of the desert! Wild and free with the sand under your hooves and the wind in your mane... er... hair. And feet. Totally meant feet and hair.

Muse

That fires look like a fun combination.  Mystic had great flavour. I just re-read the them. I live the idea of, for example, dancing till you're inspired with spell.knowledge. 

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on December 31, 2015, 07:13:19 PM
That fires look like a fun combination.  Mystic had great flavour. I just re-read the them. I live the idea of, for example, dancing till you're inspired with spell.knowledge.

fires = does? Your phone's autocorrect is as bad as mine! (Maybe)

I was, in fact, thinking a desert dervish sword-dancer type. :D

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Excelent idea.  :)  Is there any way I can assist? 

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on December 31, 2015, 08:14:43 PM
Excelent idea.  :)  Is there any way I can assist? 

Well, I remember enough looking through my books to get through the basics (OMG, I forgot about 18/%% strength rules, so crazy). What's confusing me (never used it in the past that I remember) are the rules about proficiencies, specifically as they apply to multiclass characters.

I'm guessing, looking at Ruby's character sheet, that you actually get the number of proficiencies for each class? Is that to make up for the half-speed advancement of multiclassing?

EDIT: Eek, it looks like that is not the case. I'm sorry Ruby! "If the optional proficiency system is used, the character starts with the largest number of proficiency slots of the different classes. Thereafter, he gains new proficiency slots at the fastest of the given rates." (PHB, Chapter 3, the 4th paragraph under "Multiclass Benefits and Restrictions." HOWEVER, you also get as many extra NWP proficiency slots as you do languages learned from your Intelligence bonus, so I think you can still keep your extra proficiencies of the non-weapon type.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Exactly.  :) 

Classes and kits also grant bonus proficiency.  You get all of that.  :) 

RubySlippers

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 31, 2015, 08:17:16 PM
Well, I remember enough looking through my books to get through the basics (OMG, I forgot about 18/%% strength rules, so crazy). What's confusing me (never used it in the past that I remember) are the rules about proficiencies, specifically as they apply to multiclass characters.

I'm guessing, looking at Ruby's character sheet, that you actually get the number of proficiencies for each class? Is that to make up for the half-speed advancement of multiclassing?

EDIT: Eek, it looks like that is not the case. I'm sorry Ruby! "If the optional proficiency system is used, the character starts with the largest number of proficiency slots of the different classes. Thereafter, he gains new proficiency slots at the fastest of the given rates." (PHB, Chapter 3, the 4th paragraph under "Multiclass Benefits and Restrictions." HOWEVER, you also get as many extra NWP proficiency slots as you do languages learned from your Intelligence bonus, so I think you can still keep your extra proficiencies of the non-weapon type.

She's still a BARD the core class adds as free proficiencies Reading/Writing, Musical Instrument, Singing and Local History free plus each kit adds more in her case Singing is added again from her bard kit and the other one adds Reading/Writing again (not needed under Muses rule) and Haggling. Then she gets her bonus ones in this case I shoved one into a WP a fighting style and the rest in NWPs. So yes she's right I'm just good at abusing the rules and why I love Bards as a class. The Kit rules unless stated in a Kit don't alter the basic class features its based on the Kit adds extras.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on December 31, 2015, 09:33:05 PM
  Exactly.  :) 

Classes and kits also grant bonus proficiency.  You get all of that.  :)

Righty, I got that part...

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 31, 2015, 09:45:53 PM
She's still a BARD the core class adds as free proficiencies Reading/Writing, Musical Instrument, Singing and Local History free plus each kit adds more in her case Singing is added again from her bard kit and the other one adds Reading/Writing again (not needed under Muses rule) and Haggling. Then she gets her bonus ones in this case I shoved one into a WP a fighting style and the rest in NWPs. So yes she's right I'm just good at abusing the rules and why I love Bards as a class. The Kit rules unless stated in a Kit don't alter the basic class features its based on the Kit adds extras.

Ah, silly me, I saw that 2+1 and such and thought you were adding the different classes' proficiency totals together!

Sorry about the fuss. :) My confusion...Though I at least seem to've mostly straightened out my confusion.

Remember when you had to go through umpteen other classes to play a bard at all? :D Back in the days when "Elf" was a class...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Thorne

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 31, 2015, 06:59:24 PM

Decadent? Weak? Well, okay, weak I might give you, rogues ain't for lifting the heavy shit. But decadent?! Tch. *muttermutterfleasgrumblecamelsmuttermuttergrump*

^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

RubySlippers

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 31, 2015, 10:10:32 PM
Righty, I got that part...

Ah, silly me, I saw that 2+1 and such and thought you were adding the different classes' proficiency totals together!

Sorry about the fuss. :) My confusion...Though I at least seem to've mostly straightened out my confusion.

Remember when you had to go through umpteen other classes to play a bard at all? :D Back in the days when "Elf" was a class...

I run a 1e campaign and don't allow the Bard in that, but in 2e with proficiencies a Bard is awesome fun not overly powerful unless you focus on gaining magic I usually try to snag a decent magic item now and then to trade to mages to learn spells from many seem happy to give many levels of spells for a Wand of Lightning Bolts and the like.

Basic rule in this game for my character is urban versatility while being handy out of the city, a Bard always is generally welcome to entertain nomad lords and city lords alike. And failing that a knife in the back works to.

I'm not sure of her alignment I'm planning to play her pretty much neutral she could go LN (honest but willing to abuse contracts and terms) or N (ordinary people tend to be that so would be more morally flexible but a decent sort overall) or NG (an honest merchant-rogue, scary).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 31, 2015, 10:35:26 PM
I run a 1e campaign and don't allow the Bard in that, but in 2e with proficiencies a Bard is awesome fun not overly powerful unless you focus on gaining magic I usually try to snag a decent magic item now and then to trade to mages to learn spells from many seem happy to give many levels of spells for a Wand of Lightning Bolts and the like.

Basic rule in this game for my character is urban versatility while being handy out of the city, a Bard always is generally welcome to entertain nomad lords and city lords alike. And failing that a knife in the back works to.

I'm not sure of her alignment I'm planning to play her pretty much neutral she could go LN (honest but willing to abuse contracts and terms) or N (ordinary people tend to be that so would be more morally flexible but a decent sort overall) or NG (an honest merchant-rogue, scary).

I actually think that a neutral-good Merchant-Rogue works GREAT in AQ without necessarily being "honest." Consider that this is a society wherein thieves are expected to have a sort of honor...A thief who eats another's salt cannot in any way harm them and still sleep easily. Similarly, an 'honorable' thief is unlikely to steal so much from someone that it will truly cripple them...There's a strange respectability in it. I seem to recall reading a story (it might've been Rushdie, though, whose cultural affinities lie still further eastwards) in which a thief breaks into a man's house, rifles through his papers while looking for his purse, and realizes that the man is actually bankrupt and about to be jailed by his creditors...And the (relatively well-off) thief steals nothing, but instead leaves him a small amount of coin, enough for a meal, in a peculiar sort of reverse-hospitality. For that matter, honorable tribal raiders (i.e., not illegal slavers) won't harm a woman who isn't fighting, nor take anything from on her person (suddenly, all of those images of north African/Mediterranean women with SO MUCH jewelry make a terribly practical sort of senset).

EDIT: I think I've mostly got her figured out. It's a little simpler since I'm going with a barbarian mercenary in part, so she doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) entirely culturally appropriate nor familiar with all the little cultural mores. Which means she gets to lounge about immodestly and scratch herself when she itches, and stare at the things she shouldn't, then look irritated when she's upbraided for it...For those who dare. Outland mercenaries have an awful reputation, and she automatically fails encounter reaction checks down to "indifferent" (at best!).

On the other hand, she gets bonuses to being threatening or hostile if that's the way she wants to roll. Whee? :D

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

*grins*  i'm definatly with Carney on this one.  :) 

And I quite thoroughly agree with Ruby on the awesomeness of bards in this edition. 

Chulanowa

And I gotta say, i love the flavor of the barber kit. I'm eyeballing it over sa'luq if I go bard, 'cause well... my girl was the paladin's ahrdresser the last time I played her so why not.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on December 31, 2015, 10:42:50 PM
I actually think that a neutral-good Merchant-Rogue works GREAT in AQ without necessarily being "honest." Consider that this is a society wherein thieves are expected to have a sort of honor...A thief who eats another's salt cannot in any way harm them and still sleep easily. Similarly, an 'honorable' thief is unlikely to steal so much from someone that it will truly cripple them...There's a strange respectability in it. I seem to recall reading a story (it might've been Rushdie, though, whose cultural affinities lie still further eastwards) in which a thief breaks into a man's house, rifles through his papers while looking for his purse, and realizes that the man is actually bankrupt and about to be jailed by his creditors...And the (relatively well-off) thief steals nothing, but instead leaves him a small amount of coin, enough for a meal, in a peculiar sort of reverse-hospitality. For that matter, honorable tribal raiders (i.e., not illegal slavers) won't harm a woman who isn't fighting, nor take anything from on her person (suddenly, all of those images of north African/Mediterranean women with SO MUCH jewelry make a terribly practical sort of senset).

EDIT: I think I've mostly got her figured out. It's a little simpler since I'm going with a barbarian mercenary in part, so she doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) entirely culturally appropriate nor familiar with all the little cultural mores. Which means she gets to lounge about immodestly and scratch herself when she itches, and stare at the things she shouldn't, then look irritated when she's upbraided for it...For those who dare. Outland mercenaries have an awful reputation, and she automatically fails encounter reaction checks down to "indifferent" (at best!).

On the other hand, she gets bonuses to being threatening or hostile if that's the way she wants to roll. Whee? :D
If I'm not mistaken you get a -2 penalty on reaction checks if you don't act threatening, not an automatic failure. (But as I don't have the 2nd Ed DMG I have no idea how bad a -2 penalty really is.)

And I agree that alignment isn't always as important in an Al Qadim game as it might be in other settings, given all the important social conventions that should restrict an enlightened character. There's the rules of hospitality and the bond of salt, but lets not forget family either. Even a character who might care little about their own reputation might be somewhat hesitant to do something that might reflect negatively on their family and loved ones.
In my old AQ game my character started out as Chaotic Good and had that changed somewhere along the way to Chaotic Neutral; I found it made very little differenc ein practice, as it didn't change her faith or family ties.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on January 01, 2016, 01:26:05 AM
If I'm not mistaken you get a -2 penalty on reaction checks if you don't act threatening, not an automatic failure. (But as I don't have the 2nd Ed DMG I have no idea how bad a -2 penalty really is.)

It's a -2 penalty, with the additional specified caveat that the BEST result you can get is "Indifferent," thus: "Fails to indifferent (at best)."

If you don't consider "Indifferent" a failure mode, I suppose that might be a thing, of course. But any way you slice it, she doesn't make people feel at ease. :)

Also, more things I'd forgotten about this edition of D&D, BURRIT0.

Er, THAC0.

Hungry now.

Hm.

Muuuuuse? Could my character get a proficiency in coffeemaking? Sort of a "limited cooking" proficiency? Not the proper Zakharan coffee CEREMONY, because that's etiquette, which is expressly forbidden to barbarian mercenaries. Nope. I explicitly don't want her to have the etiquette. I just want her to be able, in a city of coffee-growers and coffee-drinkers, who have a cultural coffee ceremony, to be this outlandish outsider who, despite her detestable alien ways, is able to prepare an absolutely phenomenal cup of coffee. Hilarity ensues. She isn't doing it PROPERLY but oh god, smell that...It's mouth-wateringly perfect. Surrounded by coffee culture, doesn't understand the coffee culture, but got addicted to the stuff and spent the time to figure out how to prepare it as strong and tasty as possible.

I'm thinking that with Herbalist and Healer as her two big proficiencies, she's used to brewing all sorts of things. Drinking coffee counts as self-medicating, right? ;)

Gnara Al-Qahili (Gnara of the Wastelands)
Character Crunchy Bits
Race: Flind (per 2e Complete Book of Humanoids p.32)
(No special abilities for 2e Flinds! Not even Darksight! Just stat changes of +1 Str, -1 Cha...Also, I traded 2 MORE points of Cha for 1 point of Wisdom. She isn't cute, she's tall and fangy and muscular, and in personality terms she's an oafish barb who simply doesn't manifest what most Zakhari would think of as leadership qualities...Gnoll opinions may vary.)
Class: Ranger/Cleric
Kits: Mercenary Barbarian/Mystic (Dervish)
Level: 1/1
Armor Class: Padded (8, -3 Dex = 5)
Hit Points: 9
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity/Faith: Ten Thousand Gods
Station: 6

Ability Scores:
Strength 16 (Dmg +1, Wt. Allow 70, Max Press 195, Open Doors 9, BB/LG 10%)
Dexterity 17 (React. +2, Missile Atk +2, AC -3)
Constitution 14 (SS 88%, Res 92%)
Intelligence 13 (Languages 3 (Gnoll, Akotan, Ogre), Bonus NW Proficiences 3, No Illusion Immunity)
Wisdom 16 (Magic Def +2, 2 1st level spells, 2 2nd level spells)
Charisma 8 (Max Henchmen 3, Loyalty Base -1, Reaction Adj. 0)

Ranger Class Abilities:
Two-weapon fighting with no attack penalties
Bonus Proficiency: Tracking
Hide in Shadows 10%, Move Silently 15%
Advice on Species Enemy? (+4 to attack rolls, -4 to encounter reactions)
Animal Empathy
Cannot have more treasure than you can carry

Mercenary Barbarian Kit:
Bonus Proficiencies: Survival (Desert), Modern Language (Midani)
Forbidden Proficiencies: Etiquette, Heraldry, Singing
Limited Starting Armor: Only Hide, Padded or Scale (which means Padded, because RANGER)
Weapon Proficiencies: Spear, Short Sword, Jambiya, Khopesh
-2 Encounter Reaction Check Penalty to people not from own homeland, cannot be better than "Indifferent"
+2 Encounter Reaction Bonus to "Hostile" or "Threatening" approach towards Zakharans
5d4x10gp but cannot have more than 6gp not spent on equipment

Cleric Class Abilities:
1+2 First Level Spells/day
Turn Undead

Mystic Kit:
Bonus Proficiencies: Religion, Dancing
Major Access: All, Astral, Charm, Combat, Creation, Divination, Guardian, Healing, Necromantic, Protection, Summoning, and Sun.
Minor Access: Elemental (Locked to level 1-3 spells)
Forbidden: All other spheres
-2 Encounter Reaction Penalty when dealing with Pragmatist and Ethoist clergy, and -4 penalty when dealing with Moralist clergy.

Weapon Proficiencies:
Two-Weapon Fighting without penalty (Ranger)
(1) Spear
(3) Broad Group: All Blades

Non-Weapon Proficiencies:
Tracking (Ranger) (16d20) She has a good nose on her.
Survival (Desert) (Mercenary) (13d20) She can find water, too.
Modern Language (Midani) (Mercenary) (13d20) She talks! More or less...
Religion (Mystic) (16d20) ...Mostly about the gods.
Dancing (Mystic) (17d20) She can swing it. Her khopesh, that is. Oops.
Healing (2) (14d20) Better than bandaids.
Herbalism (2) (12d20) Trust me, this is good for you.
Coffeemaking (1) (or Animal Lore) (Int) (13d20) For 24-hour perkiness.
Direction Sense (1) (Int) (13d20) Are you lost?
Gaming (1) (Int) (8d20) Do not take her to Vegas.

Equipment:
Backpack (2g, 2#)
Belt Pouch, Large (1g, 1#)
Coffeepot (3g, 4#) (via Pathfinder)
Coffeepot, Silver (23g, 4#) (via Pathfinder)
Coffee, Exotic, 10# (3s, 10# (via Pathfinder)
Dry Rations, 1 week (10g, 7#)
Flint & Steel (5s)
Holy Symbol (25g)
Iron Pot (5s)
Jambiya (4g, 1#)
Khopesh (10g, 7#)
Knife Sheath, Ornate (13g)
Mirror, Small, Metal (10g)
Padded Armor (4g, 10#)
Sandals (5c)
Short sword (10g, 3#)
Spear (12s, 5#)
Tent, Small (5g, 10#)
Toga (8c)
Full Waterskins, 2 (1.6g, 8#)

Total Weight Carried (don't recall if armor counts if worn?) 67#

Wealth: 5g, 7s, 7c

Quick Background Tidbits to be expanded later:
Gnara comes from somewhere far to the west, over the land-bridge to Akota (and I'm treating Akota, for lack of other information, as something similar to the areas of N. Africa which border the Persian Gulf). Her clan are exiles who came across a quarter of a continent (mostly the High Desert!) before settling in Ajayib as traders. She was a young priestess when they made the crossing, and the gnolls, being animist/shamanists, identified best with the Temple of Ten Thousand...Ajayib more so than most, and in her pilgrimages to learn more about their new home (unlike most of her clan, she liked growing up on the road and dislikes the idea of settling permanently in the city), she ended up hiring herself out with a few of her brothers as irregular skirmishers. She is of average height for a flind (about six and a half feet, as compared to most gnolls who are taller), somewhat lean and a bit visibly scarred and ragged-eared (attractive to gnolls, not so much to most Zakhari). Gnara usually wears (now that she and her family have gotten one too many earfulls about casual partial nudity) a loose, toga-like drape over a belted robe of padded armor. It's sewn in what the east end of the Silk Road would call "coat of eyes" pattern (vertical oval shapes with pointed ends) with studs in the center of each "eye" mimicking proper "armor of a thousand nails" (brigandine) (these faux-brigandine vests and coats were really common in some areas of China and Korea in time periods when brigandine meant "better class of soldier who earned higher pay."). This has the advantage of making her look a bit tougher than she really is (good when trying to negotiate pay, bad when enemies are trying to figure out who needs to go down first). She often paints her face colorfully and wears an outlandish quantity of copper, cowry and horn jewelry, including four large tusk earrings which are supported by a headdress and ear plugs, marking her very, very clearly as Not From Around Here (and rather savagely so). Too make matters worse, the disparity between her garb (shoddy) and some of her gear (jeweled) makes it pretty clear that she's taken at least some of her past pay as loot...Which any Zakhari would consider only typical of such foul mercenary barbarians. Gnara's family are rather poorly-viewed merchants, barely scraping by as exporters of coffee along the caravan routes to the west with connections that go much further inland in Akota than most. They haul cowries and unusual (but not necessarily valuable) ivory on the return trip to Ajayib, and manage to make enough to keep the extended family ensconced relatively safely in a small compound in the poorer side of the city. Rather enamored of her independence and seeing herself now as a luff, tuff, worldy warrior-shaman, Gnara rarely stays at the compound if she can manage to find a place somewhere else. On the other hand, she occasionally finds herself dragging back to the compound in hopes that maybe some of her extended family's more mercantile members might be of assistance in shaking loose some of the pay which she consistently isn't receiving.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on January 01, 2016, 04:03:12 AM
It's a -2 penalty, with the additional specified caveat that the BEST result you can get is "Indifferent," thus: "Fails to indifferent (at best)."

If you don't consider "Indifferent" a failure mode, I suppose that might be a thing, of course. But any way you slice it, she doesn't make people feel at ease. :)
We are talking about the special hindrances of the mercenary barbarian here, page 38 of Arabian Adventures? Because I just don't see that caveat there. If you approach someone in a "friendly" or "indifferent" (i.e. "non-threatening") manner you suffer a -2 penalty on reaction rolls, and that's pretty much all I can read there.

(Sonia Sotomayor)