Hogwarts - interest check

Started by SaturnsWings, September 21, 2009, 06:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaturnsWings

If a game were to be started with present-day Hogwarts (ten years after Deathly Hallows) would anybody be interested? Canon characters would only be professors and such while students would be created.

Empyrean

I'd be interested to learn more about this setting you propose.

senshi32

SaturnsWings

Here is a very rough draft of what I was thinking. So far it's just a couple people that have PMd me so I'll invest more time/thought into an introduction once I have more.

Alright well right now I'm just putting out feelers. It doesn't really seem like there's a lot of Harry Potter enthusiests so I thought that the first few people who show interest and I could get together on a little thread and discuss maybe a large-scale plot, whoever might want canon characters for administrative duty, and just maybe spreading the word to fellow enthusiests. If we can get enough people then we can work from there.

As I said, I am only testing the waters so this is all a very rough draft. Excuse me if it isn't nicely put together.

Basically, as I said, it's 10 years after the war (which would be 2008 if I remember correctly but I'll have to check) and Hogwarts has finally reopened its doors having had massive damage during the attack. In recent years, wizards and witches fled Britain for more peaceful countries and only now are they returning. The Ministry of Magic (headed by a canon character, though I don't rightly know who) is reformed and is trying to embrace all races and birthrights. The future seems bright, however many are still not at peace with the way things ended and an undercurrent of unease has rooted itself into the halls of Hogwarts.

I have also laid claim to the canon character, Hermione Granger who is the youngest Headmistress in the school's history.

Archermonkey

I could be persuaded.  I might even have a character concept to work with.  Would this be an adult game?  If so, I assume that we'd be playing later-year students?
I'm back!  I can't guarantee any specific schedule right now, but I'm trying to get going as best I can.
If I've been in a game with you in the past and you want to restart it, please let me know!  I've sent out a bunch of PMs about this, but I know I have to send more.

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
How to make the Monkey happy
~-~  ~-~  ~-~
[/td][td]       [/td][td]*

[/td][td]         [/td][td]
My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal
The Golden Spectre of Slavery <G>
[/td][td]         [/td][/tr][/table]

SaturnsWings

The students would most definitely be later-year. Seventh years, preferably or a late sixth year (as in somebody like Hermione who's birthday was too late to be admitted into her age year so she's the oldest.) I guess the age that students are accepted could even be bumped to go with the new structure of the wizarding world making the seventh years eighteen or nineteen. That way the ministry could keep a longer eye on the younger generation, watching for some signs of people who sympathize with the old Voldemort regime. This change could also allow more variety in the ages people could choose from. Everyone having to be seventh-years might be a bit dull.

Archermonkey

Well the site allows for characters of age 16+.  Since the older characters would mostly be no more than 27, it's not such a huge gap, really.

When you get a board up, lemme know, and I'll throw my concept in your direction.  It could be lots of fun, methinks :)
I'm back!  I can't guarantee any specific schedule right now, but I'm trying to get going as best I can.
If I've been in a game with you in the past and you want to restart it, please let me know!  I've sent out a bunch of PMs about this, but I know I have to send more.

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

SaturnsWings

-nods- If only you could keep the house elves from sexin up your doorstep, you'd be all good. :P I'll keep you posted, of course.

kckolbe

I would be interested as well, and look forward to hashin stuff out.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

SaturnsWings

Great! Then I'm going to take a little bit to sort out the current list of people interested and then get back to you guys. If any of you have input, however, feel free to send me a PM. This is very raw and unformed so far so I'd appreciate it.

Archermonkey

Quote from: SaturnsWings on September 23, 2009, 10:48:46 PM
-nods- If only you could keep the house elves from sexin up your doorstep, you'd be all good. :P I'll keep you posted, of course.

You'll be paying for that, you realise...

Perhaps my upper-level student will have to punish the headmistress for letting the House Elf situation get so far out of hand...

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

SaturnsWings

And what will he do about the hippogriffs and dementors? I do believe that they, too, are out in your yard. And rememer: I'm always one step ahead.

Archermonkey

I think I made a list somewhere of all the bad things that I want to do with the young headmistress.  Just remember, the further ahead you step, the deeper you get...

I think that the hippogriffs and dementors warrant item number #612 on the list.  Does anyone have a good sticking charm, and a barrel of flying monkeys I could borrow?

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

SaturnsWings

No but you could borrow my giant squid.

And my headmistress could send whatever you throw at her down to the grindylows.

Archermonkey

Giant squid... that would be such an awesome animagus transformation...

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

SaturnsWings

Yes, but quite useless. Actually I'm quite surprised James picked a stag over the squid for a laugh...

Archermonkey

Useless?  If manga's taught us anything, it's that 20-foot-long tentacles are never useless!

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

Goose

If you're still looking for people to join, let me know, I'm interested.

SaturnsWings

Still looking, I'll keep you posted. So far we have all males and I'm the only female. That may present a problem. But I've had enough interest shown that I'll start working on a more in-depth description.

kckolbe

Could be awkward with the competition.  Generally I see a lot of HP fans, females as well, kinda surprised
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Goose

Hm, well that's definitely a problem. I wouldn't be opposed to playing a girl, but I've never done it before, so I don't know how good I would be.

undisclosedtoyou

Alright since I'm such a HP fangirl I'll throw in my lot with you guys if you'll have me.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

kckolbe

You are a wonderful person.  By the way, when I joined PRP, yours was the first ad I read

Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

I'm just curious what PRP is?  Is it the personal RP site?
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

kckolbe

That would be the one.  Your ad is still there.

Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

Oh wow I haven't been on in so long, maybe I'll go there tonight to check up on it lol.  And it's sorta funny that mine was the first one you saw, I guess it's a good thing I want to enter this game than lol.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

SaturnsWings

I am currently typing up a more in-depth and reader friendly description. Does anybody want to lay claim to a canon character and place them in a position either in or out of Hogwarts or claim a position of authority? All professor positions are open except for Headmaster and the Minister of Magic is still unnamed. You may create a character for a position of authority and, of course, may double up so you can have a student as well. Full bios are not needed at this point but if you want to get a professor and feel the need to write one up, I won't stop you. :) Glad that I'm getting so many responses!

kckolbe

I will just play a student, never been a fan of playing canon chars.

Intro Thread

SaturnsWings

I totally understand which is why the positions are also open to created characters. I don't want canon all over this roleplay.

kckolbe

So, for characters, is there any type of sheet?  One thing I thought was kind of fun was to give each student a small number of personal spells, and on top of that a list of spells all students know (Lumos, for example).  Thoughts?

Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: kckolbe on September 28, 2009, 06:22:06 PM
So, for characters, is there any type of sheet?  One thing I thought was kind of fun was to give each student a small number of personal spells, and on top of that a list of spells all students know (Lumos, for example).  Thoughts?
That's actually a great idea.  It could keep players from just pulling out super powerful spells that no one knows about.

Another idea could be a category on the character sheet that states a students specialty, forms of magic they are studying. Like occlumency, and animagus that sort of thing. 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

kckolbe

There is a great Harry Potter site that lists all the spells and what book they appear in.  Really cool stuff, and a great refresher.  http://www.hp-encyclopedia.com/index.php

Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

Oooh awesome site. thanks for posting the link:)
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Xanatos

For one, I play almost only females, and I do a good job. No one knows I am a male, unless it says so somewhere or I tell them... so two females if I join!

I would not be opposed to creating a person in authority and playing a student.

Now, I do like Harry Potter, but I am not sure where to get info on spells or if I would be doing it right and so forth. Could you PM me any relevant info, and Saturn, would you mind PMing me with the info you have so far for the game so I can better judge whether to get in or not? Thanks.

kckolbe

If you go up a few posts you'll see a link where it lists spells/potions, things like that.

Intro Thread

Avi

I could be persuaded to give this a shot.  I would definitely be interested in playing a Gryffindor or a Ravenclaw.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Goose

If you're looking for more specific character things, I'll sign up for being the Potion's Master, though I'd also like to be the Head of the Ravenclaw house. Obviously, it wouldn't be canon, but I don't think we have any canon knowledge of what'd be going on right now anyway.

Though, I'm not opposed to being a student if you need one.

SaturnsWings

Is there anybody who would like to copilot this with me? I've got a lot going on right now but don't want to completely hand over the reigns. I have something typed up on my own computer and if somebody is willing then please send me a PM and I'll pass it along to you and then together we can discuss changes, etc.

SaturnsWings

--EDIT-- There is a question as to where this should be placed, either in the NC group boards or the Bondage. Being placed in one or the other does not limit you to having to make your own stories NC or BON but please tell me where you think I should place this.

Goose, as you are the first person to lay claim to a professor, you may make a Potions Master that is Head of Ravenclaw house. Thank you for claiming a Head of House.

You may also be a student as well if you wish.

Post with character sheets and more specific information will be put up soon as well as a list of acceptable spells. Thank you to kckolbe for help on that with the link.

Goose

Excellent. :D

I don't know how good I would be at playing two characters at once- I get confused as it is trying to keep different RP's straight. Keeping two characters might be too much for me. Anyway, let me know so I can post a good character sheet.

kckolbe

Playing a student isn't required.  If you only wish to play one, you may.

Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

I personally would rather have this game in Bon or even maybe light, but that's just me.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Archermonkey

Quote from: SaturnsWings on September 30, 2009, 03:14:03 PM
Is there anybody who would like to copilot this with me? I've got a lot going on right now but don't want to completely hand over the reigns. I have something typed up on my own computer and if somebody is willing then please send me a PM and I'll pass it along to you and then together we can discuss changes, etc.

As I mentioned the other day, I'm happy enough to help out to whatever extent my timetable permits.

Quote from: SaturnsWings on September 30, 2009, 07:57:41 PM
--EDIT-- There is a question as to where this should be placed, either in the NC group boards or the Bondage. Being placed in one or the other does not limit you to having to make your own stories NC or BON but please tell me where you think I should place this.

Like Dis, I prefer to think of this game as being Light for the most part... however I'm also a proponent of the theory that you should place games in the highest category that you think might be applicable at some point.  If, for example, someone uses and Imperius Curse on the target of their affections, that's NC, and it's a perfectly logical progression of the setting when done in a more openly sexual manner.  And that's to say nothing of Love Potions or Veela.  So given that, and the presence of mythical creatures in the setting, I'd say that it should go in NC Exotic.

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Archermonkey on October 01, 2009, 08:00:59 PM
Like Dis, I prefer to think of this game as being Light for the most part... however I'm also a proponent of the theory that you should place games in the highest category that you think might be applicable at some point.  If, for example, someone uses and Imperius Curse on the target of their affections, that's NC, and it's a perfectly logical progression of the setting when done in a more openly sexual manner.  And that's to say nothing of Love Potions or Veela.  So given that, and the presence of mythical creatures in the setting, I'd say that it should go in NC Exotic.

I can agree with this logic.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Goose

Just wondering how this thread is coming along. It's been a week without any updates. Hopefully this doesn't get thrown out.

SaturnsWings

I apologize about my absence. Real life sickness got in the way. I am currently shelving the project for another week or so pending my good health returning. I promise!

MasterMischief

I am sorry to hear you are sick, SaturnsWings.  I was curious about this project but do not know enough to make a good showing.  I was hoping to silently lurk.

Here's to a quick recovery.

SinXAzgard21

If you can PM the details I would love to join in.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Duncan

Still good to go, though send a PM when game is on.

SaturnsWings

Eh it's been long enough and one of the most actively interested people has been banned. (?huh?) So I am closing Hogwarts down.

Archermonkey

Awww... That'll learn me to not pay attention to the recruitment thread :(  I shoulda had it on notify.  *sigh*

[tr][td]       [/td][td]

~-~  ~-~  ~-~
~-~  ~-~  ~-~

My upcoming posts:
Bah Humbug, Bitch
The Devil's Deal

dorthyinwonder

Saturn, would you have any problems if someone else wanted to take over it? I missed this (I didn't join until like the 20th of Oct and the past few weeks has been really hectic - I've been kind of avoiding this area because I want to set myself up as much as I can before I do that, but I think I'm alright at the moment).

My last major literate RP was Harry Potter and I absolutely loved it. I was actually thinking of seeing if there was one, but I guess there isn't an active one. I had like three characters going on there and would love to have two or three in one here. If you canceled this because one of the more active ones were banned, then I'll be more than happy to step up and help. If you simply no longer want to go through with it, I'd like to know if everyone else that showed interest would still like to.

:)

GreenHavok

undisclosedtoyou

It's Harry Potter, I'll most likely always be interested in playing in this game lol.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's