Performance Enhancers and Pro Sports

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 11, 2013, 08:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 12, 2013, 03:19:13 PM
Yeah, the "donor urine" thing gave me a full-body shudder. That is messed up.

EVERYONE in the class shuddered when we heard it. The guy next to me was a corpman and he asked the Chief if he was joking..the response was 'Son, I don't lie about shit like that.. some folks will do ANYTHING to avoid being responsible for their actions'.

I knew airmen who drank BLEACH in the thoughts that it would flush their system out.

Oniya

That one has been played for laughs.  I remember a routine where a guy used his girlfriend's urine to pass a drug test.  The lab results came back 'Pregnant'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

elone

Again, drug testing has to be accurate to be worth a damn. When I was in the Army, I had wisdom teeth pulled and was given narcotic pain killers. I got called up for a urine drug test and told them about it. Their answer was that it would come back positive, but all I would have to do was show my script to fix it. My test came back negative.

Another time I had a urine drug test for a job. I had taken something prescribed by a doctor (don't remember what) and it turns out it was a substance that is also used as a masking agent to hide positive drug tests. They flunked me, refused to retest, and of course, I was not hired.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

vtboy

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 12, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
The best argument in favour of anti-doping rules is that it's bad for athlete health.

We don't prohibit downhill skiers, auto racers, boxers, and competitors in god-knows-how-many high-risk sports from taking far greater gambles with life, limb and brain function. No one flinches when prizefighters get in the ring without head gear and punch each other into senility. No one frets over high wire and trapeze acrobatics. Why do MLB, NFL, NBA, Olympic, and Tour de France athletes over the age of majority merit special protection from the potentially harmful consequences of their choices?

I don't buy that concern for the athlete is beyond the doping prohibition at all. There are only two real concerns for those who make money staging and promoting spectator sports: (i) will allowing players to dope bring in fans or will it repel them; and (ii) will an exploitative Congress strip a league of its antitrust exemption in the name of shielding the purity of American youth from the siren call of doping sports stars.

I've always thought the Russian roulette scenes in The Deer Hunter could serve well as a metaphor for professional sports.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: vtboy on August 12, 2013, 04:30:04 PMWhy do MLB, NFL, NBA, Olympic, and Tour de France athletes over the age of majority merit special protection from the potentially harmful consequences of their choices?

True. I said it was the best argument... not that it was a great one.

QuoteI've always thought the Russian roulette scenes in The Deer Hunter could serve well as a metaphor for professional sports.

Unfortunately also true.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Pumpkin Seeds

Just had to throw in my favorite way of avoiding a drug screen.  Kid went to the bathroom with a coke can.  The nurse followed him into the bathroom and said he couldn't bring the drink in and he said he needed something to drink so he wanted the coke.  She stood there and watched him down the coke.  About half way through he starts throwing up the urine he had in the coke can for the piss test.

Oniya

*sad trombone noise*

I can only imagine the panic that went through his head when she insisted on watching him drink.  >:)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

FionaM

Oniya

Is it sad that I was thinking 'thesaurus' as soon as he said 'spheroidal aviation'?

mia h

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on August 12, 2013, 03:19:13 PM
Yeah, the "donor urine" thing gave me a full-body shudder. That is messed up.

I might be wrong about the sport, but I think one pro-cyclist got caught doing this because the urine test showed he was pregnant
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

meikle

So what happens to professional sports if performance enhancing drugs are no longer stigmatized but openly accepted?

I don't personally see why some forms of technology (say, modern diet and exercise regimens, or fancy swim suits like were a big deal at the last Olympics, or fancy protein shakes that are more effective than diet options in the past, etc) are okay but another form of technology (biomedical) isn't. 

I would be okay with professional sports being dominated by cyborg machine-people on all the steroids in the world.  NO PAIN NO GAIN.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: meikle on August 13, 2013, 06:26:31 AM
So what happens to professional sports if performance enhancing drugs are no longer stigmatized but openly accepted?

I don't personally see why some forms of technology (say, modern diet and exercise regimens, or fancy swim suits like were a big deal at the last Olympics, or fancy protein shakes that are more effective than diet options in the past, etc) are okay but another form of technology (biomedical) isn't. 

I would be okay with professional sports being dominated by cyborg machine-people on all the steroids in the world.  NO PAIN NO GAIN.

Tll a roid raging soccer/football/boxer type goes on a steroid induced killing spree?

Oniya

Boxer-types have repeated concussion syndrome to worry about too.  Chris Benoit (okay, he wasn't a boxer, but his style inflicted a lot of trauma on his head) was initially demonized as being under 'roid rage after his murder/suicide.  Subsequent autopsy results showed that his brain resembled that of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient.

Retribution

I was an amateur wrestler and am now middle aged and the broken parts are catching up with me. But I do note some slipped memory and the like from concussions. I am not bad since I only had three or four concussions over the course of my career, but let me tell you it is kind of creepy when your mind just goes blank. But the broken neck and the like that I suffered while competing bother me more with the aging process.

As for roid rage. It is real and I have seen it first hand more so with football players. What is scary about it is that they are like a switch. One minute they can be just fine and then the next they snap and become nearly homicidal. It is fucking spooky to put it mildly. Now there is a bit of that with repeated concussions I have noticed it in myself but me and my family keep a close eye on that since we know my temper is not all natural so to speak. But the guys I was around in college and the like who were clearly abusing roids were a whole other animal. Like I said it was creepy because a small thing would make them homicidal but then more significant things they would not even raise an eyebrow at.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2013, 12:08:11 PM
Boxer-types have repeated concussion syndrome to worry about too.  Chris Benoit (okay, he wasn't a boxer, but his style inflicted a lot of trauma on his head) was initially demonized as being under 'roid rage after his murder/suicide.  Subsequent autopsy results showed that his brain resembled that of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient.

And according to my friend, who was in the  wrestling game for a while, there is a small group of the community who don't think that Benoit killed his family.

Oniya

Just to be clear, I'm not discounting 'roid rage, just putting out that it's not the only thing that can affect players of sports with a high-impact focus.

Interesting fact:  Before switching to the fancy helmets they have now, football tackles were nowhere near as violent as they have become.

Ephiral

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2013, 12:51:36 PMInteresting fact:  Before switching to the fancy helmets they have now, football tackles were nowhere near as violent as they have become.
This is actually a general tendency; we tend to compensate for known safety measures and good actions (to a degree) in our behaviour. Wearing a seatbelt makes you more prone to taking risks on the road. Donating to a charity tends to make you a bit more of a jerk. Not enough to counter or outweigh the good these things do, but... it's an interesting psychological quirk.

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2013, 12:51:36 PM
Interesting fact:  Before switching to the fancy helmets they have now, football tackles were nowhere near as violent as they have become.

This was exactly the point Joe Paterno tried to make before his untimely passing. He actually advocated going back to leather helmets.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

vtboy

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2013, 12:51:36 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not discounting 'roid rage, just putting out that it's not the only thing that can affect players of sports with a high-impact focus.

True. But behemoth sized football players are also a relatively recent advent. The average offensive tackle, for example, weighed about 260 pounds in 1970, and about 314 in 2006. The inflation of guards, centers, defensive tackles, and nose guards has been roughly proportionate, while that of quarterbacks, running backs, linebackers and wide receivers has not. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=493 In the words of Sancho Panza, whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, its bound to be bad for the pitcher.

Torch

Quote from: vtboy on August 13, 2013, 01:26:58 PM
The inflation of guards, centers, defensive tackles, and nose guards has been roughly proportionate, while that of quarterbacks, running backs, linebackers and wide receivers has not.

All true. And folks wonder why QB's like Michael Vick (6'0", 215lbs) are so injury prone.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Oniya on August 13, 2013, 12:51:36 PMInteresting fact:  Before switching to the fancy helmets they have now, football tackles were nowhere near as violent as they have become.

The next logical step is obviously a transition to powered armor, Iron Man style.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Oniya

And the next step after that is full-scale Rock-'Em, Sock-'Em Robots.

Pumpkin Seeds

Same principle with boxing gloves.  The heavier the gloves, the more protected the hands and the more punches that are thrown. 

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Ephiral on August 13, 2013, 01:13:32 PM
This is actually a general tendency; we tend to compensate for known safety measures and good actions (to a degree) in our behaviour. Wearing a seatbelt makes you more prone to taking risks on the road. Donating to a charity tends to make you a bit more of a jerk. Not enough to counter or outweigh the good these things do, but... it's an interesting psychological quirk.

I don't recall the name, but I remember seeing a news piece about a U.S. football player who had been using a good deal of steroids and medical substances, gotten suspended, and then had been struck by a badly positioned brain tumour. The caption to the pic of him ended in the grim line "The penalty will be the toughest one could think of."  :-(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

meikle

Quote from: Torch on August 13, 2013, 01:26:26 PM
This was exactly the point Joe Paterno tried to make before his untimely passing. He actually advocated going back to leather helmets.

Wasn't football a lot more uh ... lethal before modern football gear, reckless play or not?
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A