News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A crime noir dime novel - all welcome.

Started by mantra, July 08, 2012, 03:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantra

Hey all.

While I'm in a holding pattern with the other new folk, I thought I'd spark up a quick Noir RP. If you're a noir fan, please feel free to pile in! I'm imagining this as a small group scene, but if I get one other player only, a nice short story will do. 

I'll start, so I'm gonna grab an off-the-rack PI Sam Spade kinda guy. Feel free to chime in as femme fatale, client, femme fatale client puppetmistress (woohoo!), competing PI, villain, whatever. 

Quick rules:

No profiles needed. OC talk follows text (in brackets).

First person POV from your character, please. 

Feel free to start a non-intersecting thread (eg: mafia kingpin going about his day to day) with a view to meshing narratives later. Feel free to world build. It's generic noir at the moment, so by all means add a steam punk or urban fantasy or whatever twist if you want to! Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law when it comes to worldbuilding.

And, of course, noir is ripe for spoofing - tropes and characters and whatnot. Feel free to take this not-seriously :) I've already added extra cheese.

I'm going with a bit of slapdash tone and grit to set things up, but feel free to take this from setting to scene quick as you like. I'm here to just go with it.

Cheers! I link forward to playing with you.

mantra

The night train screeches in the distance, a diminished-seventh moan that sets my teeth on edge. The streetlights spark into life overhead. Shadows flicker to new angles. I'm surprised the electricity makes it this far at all, these days. The center does not hold.  The city grows darker every night. And every night I see more dirt in the cracks.

I check my watch.

It starts to rain. Heavy drops. Raindrops like tears and raindrops like spit - take your pick. Me, I long ago stopped mourning or hating this place. I just want the evening over. I want a glass of scotch. I want a shave. I want a lotta things. I pull my collar closer, the brim of my fedora lower as the storm rolls up its sleeves and gets to work.

Another night. Another client. Of course, they're late. 

I check my watch.

The gleaming harmonica of a Buick's grill smirks at me as it passes, wheels kicking gutter water up like a bullying kid. For a moment, I see myself reflected in the pitch-tinted windows. My temples are starting to streak with grey, and my five o-clock shadow turned midnight a week ago. Pretty boy they used to call me. Theres something of that in me still, and if it makes fools underestimate me, all the better because of it. Fools, goons, gumshoes and broads. They all see what they expect to see in my face. The Buick passes. The sputtering neon of the dive-bar sign across the road spills rainbow morse code over the bitumen in front. Bitumen and neon. I can't read any of it. I've long stopped trying.

It was stupid to come. Not even a phone call. Just a note and a time and a place. It was the fat one hundred bills attached that brought me. I'm no fool. Might be a set-up. The grudges build like the grime. But god knows a hundred American dollars buys some forgetting.

I check my watch.

I'm about to call the whole thing a bust when I hear footsteps along the pavement beside me. . .

mantra

(I'm out for the night. Sweet dreams, world!)