Another Inkedu Idea!

Started by Inkidu, July 26, 2008, 02:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I want to do a sort of alternate history role play about the Roman Empire. The alternate history part being that the Roman Empire never fell. It just went through a massive decline then beat back the barbarian hordes. Anyway, It's sort of a life style thing where your character would go about living in the society of a modern Rome. I was thinking about having a war with the United States playing in the background through the whole thing. The Colosseum would be a tourist attraction but not because of its history, but because people fight in it again.
Changes to the world that should be noted.

Rome spans from what would've been Italy. Takes up Poland and part of Romania, France, and Germany. They don't have much influence in the Middle East, but they do control most of North Africa.

Empress Profile (First come first serve.)

Name: First, Sextus
Appearance: Go nuts words though
Personality: Only thing cares about Rome and defends her position as the most able choice.

Everyone else

Name:
Job: Unemployed Politician, baker, guard gladiator. (Not limited to one.)
Personality: Basically one thing (Imperial supporters, or the No-Faith Party or neither. You can change later too.) 

People on board: (PM me)

Daylily

If any of you want to ask question go right ahead!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

I guess people aren't big on alternate history here.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chat Noir

I'm tempted, but I'd like to see some more fleshing out before committing. I do like the concept muchly though.
If you've been missing me please see my thread here.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...
...but whips and chains excite me."

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:
Dirty Little Secret|Mystery Men - Unsung Superheroes

Inkidu

One person. Sadly isn't enough.

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

JadeCore

Might want to...

...give it more time. 1 day isn't a lot as not everyone will check the Wanted forums for games everyday.
...flesh it out a bit more to give people an idea of what's going on. More than just a premise but who, what, when, where and why as well as what you intend to do with the plot.
...give existing ideas more time - you already have Nazora in your Knight Squadron game and she's more than happy to be active (as am I) but you seem to jumping around trying to get an instant hit.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sagittary on August 02, 2008, 11:31:25 AM
Might want to...

...give it more time. 1 day isn't a lot as not everyone will check the Wanted forums for games everyday.
...flesh it out a bit more to give people an idea of what's going on. More than just a premise but who, what, when, where and why as well as what you intend to do with the plot.
...give existing ideas more time - you already have Nazora in your Knight Squadron game and she's more than happy to be active (as am I) but you seem to jumping around trying to get an instant hit.
Unfortunately old habits die hard. At my old RP site. It was an instant hit or nothing. I've only been on this site a month I'm getting acclimated.

JadeCore

Everything takes a little time and effort. :) Nothing is instant except whims. It's not about whether a game or story gets into high gear in two posts and two days, it's about whether the game or story stays in gear after the first two weeks and maintains momentum.

Inkidu

You obviously never Rp'd at my old site. If it wasn't going to catch in a day. It wasn't going to be good a week later. I actually need time to re-do some things.

Psyker

I like the idea, it sounds really cool, but it would be nice to have more details. If you can flesh out the story, I'll definitely join.

CrimsonTear72

Sounds pretty neat, actually. If I end up being approved, I'd probably be interested.
My On/Off list.
PM me! Doesn't matter why.

Lilias

Sounds quite interesting, but I'd like more details before I can think up a character. Like, what other classical Roman aspects you can see persisting into modern times.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aiden

If I can be a gladiator...you have my attention and participation.  :o

Inkidu

Hey guys I don't want you to think this idea is dead its just. I'm having a hard time thinking of how to flesh it out. Right now it seems kind of shallow.

What I've got.

Rome is a bustling metropolis. A fusion of modern buildings and ancient Roman architecture. The coliseum has been remodeled. It has bathrooms electronic betting etc. But the main theme stays the same.

Yes you can be a gladiator. Death isn't used on professional fighters. Prisoners are still opt for removal.
Robes and Togas are saved for politicians and the the Empress (I want an empress.)
I've decided to have to war with America five years in the past. It still lets it have a gloomy sort of feel without being overbearing.
It's understood that Romans speak Latin so any other language will be done in italics. (In case you wanted to speak other languages.)

I'm trying to come up with some central thing that will keep the role play going.
Oh and all politicians the forum is still open, and remember robes and togas.

Any other things?

The Dark Raven

Ah, Rome has never been, nor will it ever be shallow...have you thought of all the infighting Rome used to have in the Forum?  And what of this Empress?  Has she married for political gain, or are those sorts of things obsolete in the modern world?  The gladiators?  Are they professional fighters specifically or are they political prisoners? Murderers? Rapists? Debtors?  Do the practices of the past regarding pleasure and the gladiators apply?  Wat types of personas are you looking for?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Inkidu

It's not that per se. It's that I can't think of a good central conflict. All stories (or role plays) need one and at first it was going to be the war but that wasn't that great of a central focus.

Inkidu

I've got said conflict.

Nothing like political dissidence. The Empress of the current line is the latest in the line that saw the revival of Rome throughout the Middle Ages and kept the barbarians at bay. Now since Rome lost the war to America there was a vote to elect the new ruler, on a basis of no confidence. The Empress was ruling the country throughout the war.
But because she was only thirteen her advisers were incompetent and now she's paying for it on the political field.

Other things to note. Rome lost in military might in a war over getting Rome to free the holy land back to the Israelis. They lost the Israel is in the holy land.

Empress's  Surname is Sextus.     

Aiden

So basically, the setting is in modern times (technology wise)
But they still honor ancient tradition
Speak Latin, wear togas, have a emperor/ress.
What drives their economy?

What about their army, I'm assuming the legion's spears and shields have been replaced with actual automatic-weapons and body armor.
But in the Arena, they revert to the ancient brutal methods of combat(Gladuis and shield)?

Also curious on what kind of Government conflict you will integrate in.
Are there some who wish to have the "old" ways  rule forever? Would some "new age" thinkers wish to convert Rome and make it a super power and possibly challenge the other nations of the world, possibly conquer the entire known world (again).

Sorry for all the questions, I want to make sure I understand the setting beforehand.

Inkidu

No problem questions help me fix issues in plots.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

The army is completely modernized. There is even a Roman space program. They're still called Legionaries, Centurions etc.

The coliseum reverts to melee and animal killing. (Special raised roman tigers etc.)

The main political conflict is that there is a feeling of unrest against the current party. Politicians are looking to overthrow the current Empress and establish a new line. Mostly though all parties are interested in keeping Roman tradition alive. It's more of who they think can do that in the modern world.

World conquest is a little much but there are parties interested in enforcing Romes standings in the world.
Trade is done just like in any other country its a free market thing with a little more imperial control that's comfortable. Romes main trading partners are Spain, Portugal, Japan, India, and China. As well as a few others.

Oh and the dominate religion in Rome is Roman Catholicism

Madalina

Inkidu

You can only wear them to social, political functions or high party like things, its considered impractical in day-to-day use, but yes plenty of togas. ;D

The Dark Raven

*rubs hands together*  Where do I sign?  lol

Aiden

I'm assuming the "Roles" are open. I'll Pm you the details I kinda want to keep them a secret from any potential participants  ;D

Inkidu

The only sure role open right now is the Empress.

I'll let you know more about roles soon.

Aiden

Ahh sorry for assuming then, I sent the PM, and let me know what you think.