News:

Main Menu

MechWarrior 5??

Started by ryanmcallister80, October 31, 2011, 07:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanmcallister80

Saw a trailer on youtube for this. Anyone know release dates, plot, specs etc?

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xanatos

I am so playing this when it comes out. Mechwarrior is one of my favorite games. That and its one of the few games I am confident that I could beat other players at.

Sel Nar

Keeping an eye on it, but I'm still hoping that they'll have a 'classic Battletech' PC game again. I want my Warhammer and Marauder, not 'How many Clan large Pulse Lasers can we stuff into this thing, plus a targeting comp so we can core the centre torso of anything but an assault 'mech in one volley'

Xanatos

Its all about twin/tri (quad if feeling dangerous)-linked Particle Projection Cannons baby!

Actually just as cool, in Mech 3, Auto Cannon or Ultra Auto Cannon, and the LBX Cannons. These things were down right brutal. LBX is a LONG RANGE shotgun that knocks ANY mech on its ass... Enough said. The Auto cannons which not quite as brutal are still brutal in a different way. Load two AC-6 (or 5?) cannons on a Bushwhacker and you have an instantaneous Assault mech ass kicker. I would run behind or just run circles around assault mechs and shoot off their legs -cackles-.

Callie Del Noire

I remember the original '3d' Mechwarrior game.. I once took out an group of 30-50 ton mechs by headshooting them all. I got so good at it I'd demand no base fee and LOTS of salvage pay. Head shot mech! Head Shot Mech! Head Shot Mech! :D

Xanatos

This was Mechwarrior 3? Or was it Mercenaries or some other Mech game? In the "normal" Mech 2, 3, and 4 there was nothing like what you described as fees and what not. It was just straight fighting.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Xanatos on November 03, 2011, 08:59:31 PM
This was Mechwarrior 3? Or was it Mercenaries or some other Mech game? In the "normal" Mech 2, 3, and 4 there was nothing like what you described as fees and what not. It was just straight fighting.
It was a LONG ways back.. one of the early first person point of view games

Sel Nar

The original mechwarrior, then. And the lightest 'mech in that was a Locust at 20 tons, with the second-lightest being a Jenner, at 35. Heaviest was a Battlemaster at 85 tons of Mean.

Xanatos

Jenner! Lol! There was a mission on Mech 2 for the PS1 that was so hard, annoying, yet epic. The player was forced to use only a Jenner to beat the entire mission. The foes were in medium to heavy mechs. I felt such a rush of amazed excitement when I finally beat it. Crappy weapons, armor, and so forth to triumph with!

Oh yeah and the Mech 2 clan trials to achieve the final and highest rank with the Firefly. Had to beat an assault mech with nothing but light lasers, short range missiles, and no armor to speak of with a small arena to fight in. That was a terrifying fight.

Warhawk! Mech 2 for PC. Amazing assault mech with 4 PPC cannons. It was pure brutality. Anything other than an assault mech was killed instantly or turned bright shiny red in one hit of quad-linked PPC's.

Annihilator and its trade mark LBX cannons. Shotgun madness.

Callie Del Noire

I still remember teh Mechwarrior pod centers.. I miss playing the Red Mars game .. you were playing racing in mining hoversleds. I used to play the heavy lifters.. nothing like meeting the smaller lifts from above on a full boost. I would come out of the fight like 7 kills ahead of anyone. Even the guys with the rivet guns and mining lasers. mass + velocity = smished mining barges.

Sel Nar

One thing i genuinely hope for is the implementation of melee/DFA. Especially if the Highlander comes back. 90 tons of 'mech that can jump 90 metres every 10 seconds = Flat Recon 'mech.

Xanatos

While melee would be interesting, I can't imagine it being practical in an environment where a mech could be sniped by smaller and faster or equally as big mechs just carrying nasty weapons like a Gauss cannon or a few PPC's. Also, without the element of surprise, any mech pilot would see you before you could close within melee range to do anything. Even if it comes up to close combat, most players would end up packing the heavy weapons and thus any damage melee had over normal weapons would be mitigated.

The unfortunate thing about jump jets is it sets the mech on a linear course. Any good player will simply track the mech and hammer it or they will just run behind the jumping mech or away from it. Jump jets are much more useful to gain height advantages or to hide from heavy onslaughts; not so much for full out attacks.

What did you mean by DFA? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

meikle

DFA is when you jump onto another mech.  Death From Above.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: meikle on November 06, 2011, 12:21:46 AM
DFA is when you jump onto another mech.  Death From Above.

Or why the Highlander is such a terrifying thing. Light Mech pancakes all over. :D

TheGlyphstone