Scion interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, January 10, 2015, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

It's a perenial favourite of mine, and I'd enjoy getting a game up and running.

By preference I'd like to play, if there were any willing GMs, but if there's a group interested and no GM, I'll step up for that.

Anyone else want to shake the pillars of heaven?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

I would definitely be interested in playing in Scion.  Huge Greek Mythology fan, pretty keen on Norse, too.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Jaded

I'd be interested as a player, not as much as a GM. 

HairyHeretic

I don't mind GMing, though I'd prefer to play :)

Any particular deities or pantheons in mind? Character concepts?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

I always wanted to play Scion for a long-term game with you.  I'm curious if this might pan out... I still like the one-eyed gunslinger, daughter of Artemis I had for that game a few years ago, but I don't know if it would fit a game, group, etc.  I'd like to participate in a small-group game, but am a little iffy on running it just yet.

kckolbe

I normally offer to at least help GM, but I've had very limited experience with Scion.  As far as pantheons, love the Greek, like Norse, and would be open to Loa and Atzlanti if doing a southern US setting, as that is their domain.  What kind of tone are you looking for?  That would help on thinking of char concepts.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Jaded

I'm always a bit of a sucker for the Morrigan, as for actual concept I'm not sure. 

HairyHeretic

Well, any Scion game I've ever played in, the characters inevitably go all around the world, rather than having it set in a single spot. I tend to adapt my games to the players and characters in it, so everyone gets a chance to shine at some point.

I know the v2 Scions rules they're talking about playing from pre visitation, which could be a fun way to start, but I'm not sure how you'd build a pure mortal character and then power them up once they receive their visitation.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kckolbe

I gotcha.  In that case, thinking of being the rather boring, disappointing child of Dionysus.

Intro Thread

AndyZ

Totally keeping an eye on this.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

*pounce*  I'd love to play! 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

VonDoom

Why do all the interesting games pop up around the same time?  ;D

I love Scion and I've had an idea for a son of ... well, HairyHeretic's avatar, I suppose ... for quite awhile.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

HairyHeretic

Sounds like we have enough interest to be getting on with.

Is there anything in particular people want from the game? Or don't want?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ixy

I'd prefer limited PvP... definitely want the characters to have some reason to get along, with maybe a little rivalry along the way.  I also don't want us to be godawful powerful

AndyZ

Also would prefer minimal PVP.  I'd like to start a little beyond normal starting stats, but would play even if it's just starting stats.

Tempted to see if I could bring a Michelle Harrison into this, but might well just come up with one of my various ideas.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

la dame en noir

Oh wow, I had never heard of Scion before until now - google is my best friend. Its pretty cool.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

kckolbe

I want to spend a little time on the nature of being a scion in the modern age...interviews and such.  How common are they?  How do folks feel about individual scions?  Given that they seem outside the normal laws/system, is there a separate political system for them?  What I love about Scion is that it has the otherwise same theme of powerful semi supernatural characters that White Wolf is known for without being inherently goth like most of their games.  Still, in all their other games, politics factor in heavily, and it actually makes more sense to involve them here.  Greek gods were extremely competitive, and would seem to want their children to expand their influence. 

I love a good mythical fight, but also want a bit of the mundane explored. 

As for power level, I would like to get rid of the Legend -1 rule.  I think it takes away a lot of options at char creation since nothing can be higher than 1.  It also seems like some gods barely have access to any purviews, while some basically have them all.

Intro Thread

Jaded

I'd prefer to start as a Scion and not a mortal, but that is just me.

I also am not a big fan of the Legend rules, though I lean towards just giving everyone Legend 3 and not allowing it to be raised with points, instead control raising it in-game based on the plot.

EndofDivine

I'm really tempted by this, depending on what sort of plot and tone you end up going with. Wish I could offer you more input than a "Sounds cool" but I don't really know much about how Scion works or what kind of things a Scion character is supposed to get up to. About all I can manage is making a character and even that's still kinda iffy. :P

Rajah

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 10, 2015, 07:50:34 PMAny particular deities or pantheons in mind? Character concepts?

How would you feel about a Scion of Shub-Niggurath?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

HairyHeretic

Okay, to address the points raised thus far ...

PvP .. unlikely to be an issue. While characters may occasionally argue or disagree, I've only ever once seen actual PvP in a game. One of the characters had tried something dumb, ended up killing a few dozen mortals, and expressed no regret for his actions. The other 3 who were around took offense at this, the two who might have been able to talk the situation down were elsewhere, and things blew up. In general, I don't expect PvP in a Scion game.

For starting level, I'm okay with boosting that up, in conjunction with GM assigned Legend. For starting I would give Legend 3, but keep the Legend -1 rating on stuff. This should allow for more variety in characters and abilities. On that same topic, I'm okay with the concept of unofficial / fan made Pantheons and knacks, but they would require GM approval. This includes the fan made alternates for the likes of Arete and Jotunblut. Scion of Shub-Niggurath? Show me the Pantheon rules and then we'll see. I'm inclined to say no though, as I'd have my doubts about how well that would fit.

Scions in the world .. I generally favour something along the lines of The Secret War going on in the shadows of the world. Everyone knows that monsters aren't real. That shaky cam footage up on Youtube of the so called Giant? Viral ad for a movie coming out next year. The people who said they saw a dragon. It was a gas leak from the sewers, and their heads got all screwed up.

If you think about it, if the TRUE nature of the world were revealed, how would people respond? Fear, panic, social upheaval. The sort of things that the Titanspawn and their cultists would be happy to take advantage of.

Of course, if the PCs decide they want to 'go public', don't forget that there are lots nastier things out there than they are ... and they just painted big bullseyes on themselves :)

For those not too familiar with the game, you can be pretty much anything you want to. Decide what you want your character to have been before their visitation. Street thug. Cop. Archelogist. Rock star. Professional athlete. There aren't any real limits. Your divine parent will grant you some favoured abilities, but you don't have to grow into a clone of them. I can help kick ideas around, and once you have more of an idea what you want, I can help with the mechanics.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Those are exactly the decisions I was hoping for, Hairy. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

Thanks for the answers.  My only confusion is that I thought you regained Legend points through people celebrating you.  Basically, aren't scions kind of required to be public, or was that likely just a house rule from the only time I played it?

Intro Thread

AndyZ

HH, I'm toying with the idea of being a Scion of the Cherokee Rabbit.  Rabbits can have children the same way the Monkey King can, and I'd probably use most of Br'er Rabbit but maybe swap out Industry for Epic Perception.

I have quite a few ideas, but the type of exceptionally manipulative character that would inspire may or may not fit well with the type of game you like to run.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: kckolbe on January 12, 2015, 06:24:41 PM
Thanks for the answers.  My only confusion is that I thought you regained Legend points through people celebrating you.  Basically, aren't scions kind of required to be public, or was that likely just a house rule from the only time I played it?

Could have been a house rule. Legend is an indication of how well known a character and their deeds are, but regaining legend points comes from stunting or playing to your virtues. There's nothing to say that you can't be public, and doing so would likely boost your legend faster than playing more covertly ... but it's easier to kill a (relatively) weak scion before they become a Demigod, or God in their own right.

Quote from: AndyZ on January 12, 2015, 06:36:15 PM
HH, I'm toying with the idea of being a Scion of the Cherokee Rabbit.  Rabbits can have children the same way the Monkey King can, and I'd probably use most of Br'er Rabbit but maybe swap out Industry for Epic Perception.

I have quite a few ideas, but the type of exceptionally manipulative character that would inspire may or may not fit well with the type of game you like to run.

While I'm not a fan of the Yankee pantheon as a whole, Rabbit / Coyote is one that would work.

There's also a Native American Pantheon here

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/scion/1377-fan-written-scion-material

under 'The Manitou'. You might want to have a look at that and see if it works for what you want to do. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a trickster in the group.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Marie Reynolds

I'd like to join in on this if you still have room.

kckolbe

Thanks, that helps.  In that case, might go professional athlete.  Maybe an American football player on a small market team (Titans maybe?  Fun little play on the situation) in the offseason.  Plan on going physical, then social, then mental...bit different than most of my chars. 

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on January 12, 2015, 07:02:58 PM
I'd like to join in on this if you still have room.

It's still early days yet. Do you have a character concept in mind?

Quote from: kckolbe on January 12, 2015, 07:06:48 PM
Thanks, that helps.  In that case, might go professional athlete.  Maybe an American football player on a small market team (Titans maybe?  Fun little play on the situation) in the offseason.  Plan on going physical, then social, then mental...bit different than most of my chars.

Decided on a parent or pantheon yet?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kckolbe

Well, I like Sky and Justice, but not really feeling Zeus, so still undecided.  Starting to look at a couple of Norse ones as well.  I figure I'll wait until I see a bit more from others and choose a deity that isn't a rival.

Intro Thread

Marie Reynolds

I let you know after i get out of my dragon age virtual tabletop.

Jaded

I am thinking a Scion of the Morrigan, probably a (former) military helicopter and/or fighter pilot, maybe turned mercenary before her visitation.  Her defining relic is probably a big sword. 

Though one question.  On page 151 of the companion book it there is a relic power that allows the item to "Item may alter its basic shape, length, color, or some other physical attribute."  Can it only change one of those, or any/all of them at once?  Basically, could a sword only shrink, or could it fully transform into something else?

kckolbe

Concept: Danny Andrew Alexander is a football player for the Tennessee Titans.  Depending on the "anonymous source" from the organization, he is either locker room cancer or a team leader.  What is known is that he very rarely comes off of the field.  He  plays on offense and defense, and is the most recognizable player on the team outside of the quarterback.  He's cocky, brash, and can carry quite a grudge.

God/pantheon is undecided, and so birthright and virtues are unspent, as well as freebie points.  I don't want him to be a perfect clone of a god, actually prefer him to not be much of a fit.  He is the closest match to Zeus, though.

Crunch

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 4
Stamina: 4

Manipulation: 4
Charisma: 3
Appearance: 2

Intelligence: 2
Perception: 2
Wits: 3

Academics 1 Athletics 3 Awareness 1 Brawl 3 Command 2 Control 1 Empathy 1 Fortitude 2 Integrity 1 Investigation 1 Melee 3 Occult 1 Politics 3 Presence 3 Stealth 1 Thrown 3

Epic Strength 2 (Holy Bound, Holy Rampage)
Epic Dexterity 1 (Cat's Grace)
Epic Stamina 2 (Self Healing, Solipsistic Well-Being)
Epic Manipulation 1 (Overt Order)
Epic Charisma 1 (Inspirational Figure)
Epic Wits 1 (Rabbit Reflexes)
Justice 1
Sky 1

Intro Thread

vonpenguin

Hello. If there is still room in this I would love to join. I've had a few concepts kicking around my head forever. A son of Tyr who works for law enforcement and has an almost pathological need to ignore his own need over others, not in the "I'm so selfless" type of way but in a slightly screwed in the head, "Get some sleep and eat something you moron", way. Other ideas are a Hephaestus child who is mostly a gear head, suping up cars and such. Third is a Child of Artemis that was previously either going into special forces or intelligence work.

Basically Combat Wombat, Skill Monkey, or sneaky type depending on the overall feel of everyone else's characters.
Savage worlds, proving it is entirely possible for someone with no skill in driving to pilot everything from a dune buggy to a flying submarine without failing once but the guy with a d8 in it is the one the other PCs don't let touch the steering wheel.

AndyZ

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 12, 2015, 06:37:06 PM
There's also a Native American Pantheon here

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/scion/1377-fan-written-scion-material

under 'The Manitou'. You might want to have a look at that and see if it works for what you want to do. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a trickster in the group.

I can see some of this stuff working well and some of it needing some work, including rebuilding in order to fit better and being more the Cherokee version instead of the Br'er version.  Not a huge number of differences, but a few.  How much leeway could I be given to rebuild Rabbit?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jaded on January 12, 2015, 10:10:54 PM
I am thinking a Scion of the Morrigan, probably a (former) military helicopter and/or fighter pilot, maybe turned mercenary before her visitation.  Her defining relic is probably a big sword. 

Though one question.  On page 151 of the companion book it there is a relic power that allows the item to "Item may alter its basic shape, length, color, or some other physical attribute."  Can it only change one of those, or any/all of them at once?  Basically, could a sword only shrink, or could it fully transform into something else?

Any of those probably fit okay.

For the relic, generally the change is only a single aspect. Think of Sun Wukongs staff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdE-fNR28Pc

Check this from about 8:00 where he goes to *ahem* obtain a magic weapon. You can see the size change at 9:40

Now, if it could change everything, you'd have an item that could effectively change into any other item, and that could cause all sorts of bother :)

If you wanted to have it change so you could hide it, I'd allow a second form for a single dot, and it could change back and forth between those two.

Quote from: kckolbe on January 13, 2015, 08:29:47 AM
Concept: Danny Andrew Alexander is a football player for the Tennessee Titans.  Depending on the "anonymous source" from the organization, he is either locker room cancer or a team leader.  What is known is that he very rarely comes off of the field.  He  plays on offense and defense, and is the most recognizable player on the team outside of the quarterback.  He's cocky, brash, and can carry quite a grudge.

God/pantheon is undecided, and so birthright and virtues are unspent, as well as freebie points.  I don't want him to be a perfect clone of a god, actually prefer him to not be much of a fit.  He is the closest match to Zeus, though.

Don't worry about stats for now. All we need is a character concept for now.

Quote from: vonpenguin on January 13, 2015, 08:44:12 AM
Hello. If there is still room in this I would love to join. I've had a few concepts kicking around my head forever. A son of Tyr who works for law enforcement and has an almost pathological need to ignore his own need over others, not in the "I'm so selfless" type of way but in a slightly screwed in the head, "Get some sleep and eat something you moron", way. Other ideas are a Hephaestus child who is mostly a gear head, suping up cars and such. Third is a Child of Artemis that was previously either going into special forces or intelligence work.

Basically Combat Wombat, Skill Monkey, or sneaky type depending on the overall feel of everyone else's characters.

Any of those would work. Do you have a strong preference for any of them?

Quote from: AndyZ on January 13, 2015, 01:08:26 PM
I can see some of this stuff working well and some of it needing some work, including rebuilding in order to fit better and being more the Cherokee version instead of the Br'er version.  Not a huge number of differences, but a few.  How much leeway could I be given to rebuild Rabbit?

The essentials would be to work out favoured epic attributes and boon purviews. Using the Manitou, you have access to a Pantheon Specific Purview.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 13, 2015, 04:52:54 PM
The essentials would be to work out favoured epic attributes and boon purviews. Using the Manitou, you have access to a Pantheon Specific Purview.

Sounds good ^_^ Rereading some of the Rabbit stuff, Epic Perception probably isn't appropriate, but Illusion would be, as would the favoreds of Athletics and Presence.

Harmony and Valor would both be at 1, but with Intellect saying "promote ignorance in any form," do I need that low to be able to hide the existence of the gods or to otherwise lie and deceive?

I've got some weird relic ideas of my own to ask about, but they can always wait until later.  This concept may not even work overly well in this game.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: AndyZ on January 13, 2015, 05:57:09 PM
Sounds good ^_^ Rereading some of the Rabbit stuff, Epic Perception probably isn't appropriate, but Illusion would be, as would the favoreds of Athletics and Presence.

Harmony and Valor would both be at 1, but with Intellect saying "promote ignorance in any form," do I need that low to be able to hide the existence of the gods or to otherwise lie and deceive?

I've got some weird relic ideas of my own to ask about, but they can always wait until later.  This concept may not even work overly well in this game.

If I was to pick out attributes for Rabbit, Epic Dex, Manipulation and Wits seem fine. Animal (Rabbit), Chaos and Illusion, as well as the PSP. Earth might fit too.

Athletics, Awareness, Presence .. not sure about the rest.

Playing a Scion of Rabbit, I suspect would be something like this  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8_GVfPuw4M

I'm not sure I get what you're going with on the virtues though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Athletics, Awareness, Larceny, Presence, Stealth and Survival were my plan.

I agree with your assessment, though Earth is too much of a stretch.

QuoteEpic Dex, Manipulation and Wits seem fine. Animal (Rabbit), Chaos and Illusion, as well as the PSP

As far as the virtues, I see the character as being very willing to attack from underhanded means, which rules out Valor, and Harmony as trying to strike a cosmic balance is pretty out as well, unless it has some aspect that I wasn't considering.

Cherokee generally switches Endurance for Intellect in the thing you listed, but I think she'll stick with Endurance.

It may also amuse you that I've had the character concept in the past insist that Bugs Bunny was based on her dad's stories ^_^

Jaded

If you wanted to have it change so you could hide it, I'd allow a second form for a single dot, and it could change back and forth between those two.

Oh, that is what I had in mind actually.  Not something that could transform into anything, but a sword that could transform into one other object for concealment. 

vonpenguin

Any of those would work. Do you have a strong preference for any of them?

I've got a slight preference for the first or last, just because I'm playing a lot of skill monkey mechanical types in games off this site.
Savage worlds, proving it is entirely possible for someone with no skill in driving to pilot everything from a dune buggy to a flying submarine without failing once but the guy with a d8 in it is the one the other PCs don't let touch the steering wheel.

kckolbe

QuoteDon't worry about stats for now. All we need is a character concept for now.

Yeah, just wanted to give a little extra since I hadn't decided on a god or even pantheon.

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Quote from: AndyZ on January 13, 2015, 06:44:17 PM
Athletics, Awareness, Larceny, Presence, Stealth and Survival were my plan.

I think it's 5 favoured, so you might need to trim one of those off

Quote from: AndyZ on January 13, 2015, 06:44:17 PM
It may also amuse you that I've had the character concept in the past insist that Bugs Bunny was based on her dad's stories ^_^

I can get behind that :)

Quote from: Jaded on January 14, 2015, 12:04:17 AM
Oh, that is what I had in mind actually.  Not something that could transform into anything, but a sword that could transform into one other object for concealment.

One dot relic power.

There's also a one dot power that is on one of the Tuatha relics that allows the character to summon the weapon from a sort of cosmic bag of holding, and dismiss them again. It doesn't say where the item is, but the character can summon and banish it at will.

Quote from: vonpenguin on January 14, 2015, 12:22:00 AM
I've got a slight preference for the first or last, just because I'm playing a lot of skill monkey mechanical types in games off this site.

It's your call :)

Quote from: kckolbe on January 14, 2015, 03:22:10 AM
Yeah, just wanted to give a little extra since I hadn't decided on a god or even pantheon.

Not a problem. Just figure out the background stuff first, then we can worry about the mechanics.

So, a question. While I don't like the American pantheon, their PSP isn't too bad. I could see Industy being linked to other deities traditionally known for their crafting. What are your thoughts on that? Yay or nay?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

BraveEarth

I'm kind of interested in Scion but I have question about the character creation process, in that is there a limit to being 'awakened', notified, ect. as far as ages go?

HairyHeretic

If you mean when the Scion receives their visitation and finds out the world is a tad different to what they thought it was, no.

Backgrounds are left completely blank more or less. I've seen characters who were street thugs and characters who were royalty, and everything in between.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Lacey Bruce grew up in a rough patch of London with her father—Daniel—younger sister, and brother.  Her mother had been a stripper her father dated a few months before she wandered off.  A year later, he started dating anther.  Unlike Lacey's mother, this woman was slowly descending into drug addiction, neglecting and even hurting her family. 

When their youngest was three, Daniel loaded them all up in his heavily restored vintage mustang and drove to London, whee he got a job as an auto mechanic. 

Money was always tight for them, but it wasn't a bad childhood.  When Lacey was nine, she gave her father a soft, serious talk about why they'd left her mother while they worked on the car together.  By the end of it he'd put aside his own marijuana habit never to take it up again.  Lacey loved to watch movies, play games, and practice martial arts with her father.  They both loved RC Cola, and would sometimes crack cans of it together.  Lacey did passingly well in school, and even better on the gym team. 

After Lacey's freshmen year, her father got an opportunity to take a big step up in the world.  He was offered a position in Paris working for a specialty shop that maintained American sports cars. 

Trying to make new friends in Paris—and get better with the language—Lacey met a diverse club of young men and women who played at parkor—both racing and performing.  She rapidly fell in love with the hobby.   It felt like flying.  It felt like magic.  It felt like she was taking a firm grip of her own life and making it do what she wanted it to!

Lacey was seventeen and touring a college campus when she first saw the girly, drunk frat boy who seemed to kick parties into high gear whenever he went.  At first she thought nothing of him, but from time to time over the next days—it was summer, she was always wearing her favorite lacy, bare midriffed tops—she kept stumbling across him, and noticing hims staring at her tight little waist. 

Long story short, he was starting to get creepy.  But when he stole her belly button, Lacey's fear became anger and she pummeled him with her purse, then chased him—laughing like a mad man—up onto the roofs of Paris and off across town. 

He taunted her, teased her, performed all manner of immobile stunts, but between anger, pride, and annoyance, Lacey refused too give up.  Eventually, it ended with her cornering him in the bell tower atop Notre Dame.   

(Yes, she scrambled up the outer walls to get there!) 

“I knew it!” the man laughed as he somehow became more grand—voice resonant as a bronze bell, wild hair storm tossed instead of greasy, scars looking more like nobly won war wounds than signs of bad acne.  “You're no ordinary girl.  You're mother should have awakened you by now.” 

“What are you talking about?  Who are you?  And what did you do to my belly button?” 

He laughed long and loud.  He smacked her on the hard abs and her naval reappeared.  Then he replied, “I am Raiden.  The question, girl, is who is your mother?   More importantly, the question is who are you?” 

“I don't understand?  My mother's name was Shana?” 

“I doubt that, but I'll answer the important question.  You are a hero waiting to happen.   You are the daughter of a goddess.  You are the wind and the rain.  You are apotheosis waiting to  happen.  You stand here, like a lightning bolt coiled to strike. 

“So what are you waiting for?  Burn hot, shine bright, awaken!” 

Lacey threw back her head and howled in agony and ecstasy as the divine blood in her veins was rewritten partial in Raiden's image and brought to life! 

kckolbe

Wow, good stuff Muse.  Question about rivalries.  Each god has a list of rival gods with one listed before a semicolon.  Is that first god on the list the main rivals, with the others being less significant?

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Looks like before the semi colon is rivals within the same Pantheon, after it are rivals from other Pantheons.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

EndofDivine

Ok, I'm far enough along and comfortable enough with my idea to post a blurb and let everyone else know what kind of character I'm going with. Think I'm going with a sort of god of travel concept. Taking Epic Dexterity for all the movement stuff, Sky so I can fly and jump really far, Psychopomp to teleport eventually, stuff like that.

Concept
Madison Grace Parker is following in the footsteps of her mother, engaging in archaeology, philanthropy, and education across the globe. She is a daughter of Nusku, the Mesopotamian god of fire and civilization (one of the gods in that link Hairy posted on the first page). Ever since awakening as a Scion, her goals have remained unchanged; all that has changed in her mind is how she accomplishes them and how much of a difference she can make on her own.

Madison is cultured, well traveled, and a bit of a bookworm despite her outgoing nature and athleticism. She also has a deep appreciation for cultures and beliefs outside her own instilled by her mother, making her accepting and generally easy to get along with. Her biggest strength, and possibly her biggest weakness, is her curiosity. Madison dislikes not knowing something, whether it's something as simple as the answer to a question or something as big as the way her new universe works. To her, this whole Scion business is just a puzzle to be solved and Madison is determined to make sense out it.

So while other Scions might meet a Titan with sword in hand, Madison is just as likely to show up with a pen and paper to record their strengths and weaknesses, observe their goals and motivations, and pass what she learned onto those that can make use of the information.

kckolbe

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Danny Alexander, the Stolen Son (Scion of Hermes...kind of)
Appearance

Story

It would not do one well to ask how it was that both Zeus and Apollo should come to favor the same woman with their affections, but given Zeus' tendency to explore, it was only a matter of time.  Whoever the parent was, it was clear that at least one of the gods had sired young Danny, who clearly was more gifted than his fellow children.  Zeus and Apollo decided they would wait and see which of them he favored more, with both attempting to influence the outcome in little ways.  Naturally, results were mixed.

Like Zeus, Danny had a natural authority about him, and his natural talent for throwing certainly boded well for Zeus' claim of parentage, but Apollo immediately claimed that Danny's charisma, amber eyes, and general athleticism were the result of his divine blood, not Zeus'.  Unaware of the "custody battle" being waged in the heavens above him, Danny continued growing and making use of his incredible talents, and passing the age at which the Greek Gods generally bestowed the gifts of their lineage.  He pursued American Football, earned a college scholarship, and even ended up drafted by the Tennessee Titans. 

Eventually, the two agreed that a decision needed to be made so that one of the two could see their legacy grow.  Hermes suggested a compromise.  Danny would be offered a gift from each parent, which Hermes would deliver to Danny, so that neither prospective parent could interfere with the young man's decision.  Whichever gift he chose, he would receive that god's blessings, and the other would not interfere in the man's life.  Both gods agreed, and Zeus, suspecting Hermes of planning to keep the gifts for himself, warned Hermes against retaining the gifts.  Zeus would prove to have been right to be suspicious, but wrong as to why.

Hermes came to Danny the night after he was drafted and laid out the two gifts, saying they were his should he accept Hermes as his divine sire.  Danny, knowing nothing of the deal with Apollo and Zeus, believed he was Hermes' descendant, and gladly accepted.  Hermes gained a new scion of exceptional potential and had the delight of getting one over on both Zeus and Apollo.

Since then, both Zeus and Apollo have kept their words in the way often expected of Greek Gods.  There was no direct interference, but Danny would suddenly find that the sun's rays would end up in his eyes in important moments, or that the wind would cause the occasional pass to become an interception.
Birthrights

(2) Tear of Apollo: This simple gem is the hardened tear of Apollo, shed in joy when Hermes presented Apollo with the first lyre, a musical instrument invented by Hermes.  Apollo was so moved by the instrument that a single tear of his hit the ground, turning into a gem, and the dirt around it into white gold.  Apollo scooped it from the ground and later gifted it to Hermes as a gift to his Scion.  Grants access to the Sun purview and once per day may grant an extra success on a Perception roll.

(5) Zeus' Vengeance: This pilum was given to Hermes by Zeus as a gift to his Scion, as well as to remind Hermes not to cross him.  This pilum can replicate itself each time it is thrown, a new pilum appearing in the hand of the one who threw it, and appears to be no more than a simple pen until activated.  It also grants a +3 to damage. (4 bonus points spent)

Mechanically, he'll be a scion of Hermes, but his other "parentage" will be reflected for flavor.  I liked the idea of Apollo and Zeus indirectly screwing with him, because the Greek Gods were really petty like that.

Intro Thread

AndyZ

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 14, 2015, 07:16:43 AM
I can get behind that :)

I can also make the same claim for the movie Harvey.  If you listen to the explanation of how the protag meets the giant rabbit, it's very, very easy to believe.

There's also a one dot power that is on one of the Tuatha relics that allows the character to summon the weapon from a sort of cosmic bag of holding, and dismiss them again. It doesn't say where the item is, but the character can summon and banish it at will.

Never saw that before, but the Spear of Lugh apparently doesn't even need the dot.  Wow.  I'm used to the idea that it costs a dot as well as a point of Legend to have it disappear or return.

I'd at least say to spend a dot of Birthright to get that ability.

AndyZ

Name: Michelle Harrison
Calling: Wascally Wabbit
Nature: Gambler
Pantheon: Manitou
Parent: Rabbit

Strength 2 Epic 1
Dexterity 4 Epic 1
Stamina 3 Epic 1

Charisma 2 Epic 1
Manipulation 5 Epic 1
Appearance 4 Epic 1

Perception 2 Epic 1
Intelligence 3 Epic 1
Wits 2 Epic 1

Academics 1
Animal Ken 1
Art (Dancing) 1
*Athletics 5 [2]
*Awareness 5 [2]
Brawl 1
Command 1
Empathy 3
Fortitude 1
Integrity 1
Investigation 1
*Larceny 1
Medicine 1
Melee 1
Occult 1
Politics 1
*Presence 5 [2]
Science (Computer) 1
*Stealth 3
*Survival 1

Endurance 3 Harmony 1 Loyalty 5 Valor 1 [3]

Legend 3 Willpower 9 [2]

Making It Look Easy
Escape Artist
Self-Healing
Charmer
Gods' Honest
Perfect Actor
Telescopic Senses
Multitasking
Social Chameleon

Eye of the Storm

Grandfather Thunder - Relic 3

Not every name of every spirit is well-remembered over the ages.  Although Grandmother Moon is remembered and honored, Grandfather Thunder's legend has been all but forgotten by the year 2015.

He exists as little more than a bolt of lightning, conjured up to be used as a weapon.  Although Michelle isn't a big fan of actual combat, she works with Grandfather Thunder in the hopes of bringing him back enough recognition to earn back his divinity.  By the time that happens, she hopes to never actually need a weapon again.

Grandfather Thunder has the stats of a Weighted-End Weapon, -1 Speed, and can strike out to Legend*5 yards away.  Michelle most commonly conjures him forth from a nearby source of electricity.

Bulletproof Vest - Relic 2

Michelle has a bulletproof vest which can transform into any other type of clothing, and has -1 Fatigue.  Removed clothing simply dissolves when it stops touching her, and if all of the clothing leaves her, it transforms back into a bulletproof vest.  Even when she doesn't wear anything else, she uses it to manifest a leather thong for her Lucky Rabbit's Foot to wear as a pendant.

I would argue that changing into any kind of clothes is one point of Relic but can up that if you feel it should be more.

Lucky Rabbit's Foot - Relic 3

A simple good luck charm that provides access to the Animal, Chaos and Illusion purviews.
[3]

For everything that she does and all that she pretends to be, Michelle is just a suburban American girl.  She learned early on that people didn't always like the truth, but the sense of normality granted her by a single mother with a life of relative poverty has kept her from becoming too much of a monster.

The only thing she really keeps from her old life, other than her first name, is the old stuffed rabbit Mister Ears that remains in her bed even when others discover her deceptions and lose interest in her affections.  Her father used Mister Ears as a vessel when he first contacted her, and even if she didn't have trouble sleeping without him, it helps to have an easy way for her dad to get in touch with her.

She's earned an inordinate amount of money with her abilities, and though she tries to claim that she needs it all for the cause, she simply lives in exhilaration for the thrill of a ridiculous plan coming to fruition or enjoying the pleasures of affluence.  After all, that kind of money was more than enough to get her mother set up in a secure area where she'd be free from any sort of reprisal.

The only true wealth is friendship.  Even if she's not always great at telling the truth on minor things, she'll put in the effort to help other Scions however she can, knowing that they have a better chance of really understanding her than anyone else.

Bonus Points aren't done yet, but I wanted to check about the birthrights so far.

Muse

VioletPanda

Ooooh is this still open!? I'd love to play in the Greek or Norse Pantheon- swinging towards Baldur or Apollo or Thor.
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

kckolbe

Those are my two favorite as well.  Interested in playing half-siblings?

Intro Thread

VioletPanda

Oh, yes, that sounds fun!
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

kckolbe

Wonderful!  We can discuss ideas in PM.  By the way, Muse, I wasn't able to view your sheet.

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Looks like we're good to start setting up game threads then and get down to work :). Bon suit everyone okay for a starting board? I doubt things will be much beyond that, and we can always shift it if necessay.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

vonpenguin

Are you still accepting sheets? I've had a hell of a week and didn't ge a chance to work on it.

kckolbe

I'm still narrowing down ideas as well, currently working on a sibling with LukaWolf, two brothers from the same god. 

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Quote from: vonpenguin on January 21, 2015, 09:36:36 AM
Are you still accepting sheets? I've had a hell of a week and didn't ge a chance to work on it.

Yeah, you're good :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Eranil Morathim

This sounds awesome and right up my alley but I know nothing about Scoin. In fact, I had never heard of it until now.

HairyHeretic

It's a very fun setting, and the mechanics aren't too bad to get your head around.

Basically your character finds out that they're a child of a deity, all the old myths and legends are in fact true, and there's a shadow war going on just outside of the corner of your eye to determine the fate of the world. Start as a hero, work your way up to God, and then try to recapture the Titans who are seeking to destroy you, everything you hold dear and all of that sort of thing :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

vonpenguin

Hey. I emailed yo my sheet and backstory. let me know what you think if/when you have time, please.

yesiroleplay

Is this still open?
I haven't played Scion in ages, and miss it.

HairyHeretic

Yep, it is. We're in the process of getting organised at the moment.

I've been a little busy the last few days, but I'll get a proper OOC thread up tomorrow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Crash

Okay, I have completely reworked my idea.

I am no going with an Snowboarding X-Game Champion Daughter of Uller.

Epic Stamina, Epic Dexterity, Epic Perception (Maybe Epic Strength)
Frost, Jotanblut and Psychopomp Purviews

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

kckolbe

That sounds pretty glorious and just a lot of fun.  I imagine she'll get along wonderfully with Lacey.

Intro Thread

Muse

Uller for the win! 

And yes, I think Lacey will adore her.  : )

Crash

The nuts and bolts

Name: Ingrid Sund        
Calling: Snowboard Gold Metalist
Nature: Bravo
Pantheon: Aesir
God: Uller

Build: Athletic
Height: 5’ 5”
Weight: 110
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Languages:  English, Norwegian

Willpower   7

Legend:         3
Legend Points:      9/9

EXP      0/0

Attributes
(4BP)
Strength: 3*             
*Dexterity: 4***       
*Stamina: 4**   

*Perception: 3*   
Intelligence: 2   
Wits: 2      

Charisma: 3      
Manipulation: 2   
Appearance: 4   

Abilities

Abilities, Favored (4BP)
Animal Ken         2
Athletics               5             
Marksmanship      4
Melee                 3
Stealth           2
Survival              3           

Abilities: Other
Academics
Art:         
Awareness         3
Brawl                 2
Command               2
Control: Automobile   2   
Craft:      
Craft:
Empathy         2
Fortitude         2   
Integrity
Investigation
Larceny                    
Medicine                  
Occult                       
Politics
Presence         2
Science                     
Thrown                    2

Virtues

Courage         3         
Endurance         3
Expression         1   
Loyalty         2

Birthrights

Ichaival (•••••) – Hunting Bow.  Ichaival is said to launch ten arrows for each arrow shot, giving the bow the ability to use full burst autofire. Has the range of a sniper rifle. +2L Damage enhancement, +1 Accuracy

Vegvisir (•) – An amulet with the Norse Compass on it.  Purview: Psychopomp

Rune-inscribed Isaz and Waz Tattoo (••) – Rune for Ice tattooed on her shoulder in a Yew Tree. Purviews: Frost and Jotanblut

Boons

Frost Immunity (frost •)
Dice Pool: None
Cost: None
The cold of winter has no effect on the Scion. She never suffers damage from exposure to ice, frost, chilling wind, freezing water—or other Boons of this Purview. While the Scion’s possessions still suffer the effects of cold, the Scion herself need not fear the most extreme cold in the World (or even beyond). This immunity extends to whatever Birthright the Scion uses to access the Frost Purview. The Scion also never slips or loses her balance on bare ice. If someone pours another slippery substance (such as oil) on top of it, however, the Scion could still slip on that. Note that if the Scion does not possess Frost Immunity, she could well injure or kill herself by using other Boons in this Purview!

Uller’s Stride (frost ••)
Cost: 1 Legend
Like the God of Skis who gives this Boon its name, the Scion can speed his travel by gliding on a thin layer of snow. Hoarfrost coalesces into ice around his feet or his shoes, allowing him to skate over nearly any flat surface. As long as the Scion can slide along the ground, he can move quickly and easily. Grassy fields, liquid water (or other substances), and pavement or concrete are all ideal surfaces for this sort of motion. The Scion leaves a thin, wavering trail of ice that soon melts in warm surroundings. As long as the Scion stays on a reasonably flat (though not necessarily level) surface, he gains a five yard bonus to his Move and Dash actions. Uller’s Stride cannot take the Scion up into the air, but he can skate over water. Tricks such as skating off the end of an inclined tree and landing on the lip of a nearby hillside count as stunts that apply the five-yard bonus to Jump actions. Players can use Uller’s Stride with many other stunts too, such as maneuvering a foe onto a not-yet-melted patch of ice so she slips for a moment, giving the Scion a bonus to attack. Once activated, Uller’s Stride lasts for the rest of the scene unless the Scion deactivates the power prematurely. He can walk or skate interchangeably, depending upon what seems useful at the moment. The Scion never slips or falls from losing traction, though he can still be knocked down He can also trip over difficult terrain or crash into an obstacle if he’s clumsy.

Bestial endowment (jotunblut •)
Cost: 1 lethal health level + 1 Legend
The Scion grants a beast a single extra dot in either Strength or Stamina. The beast becomes loyal to only the Scion, who can also train him as normal, but that loyalty must be renewed once every month.

Unerring orientation (psychopomp •)
Cost: 1 Legend
In a locale she knows well, such as her hometown or a national park she visits every autumn, the Scion knows how to get from any point within to any other point. In an unfamiliar locale, her sense of direction defaults to a standard compass rose. Should someone give her correct directions in an unfamiliar locale, she retains them thereafter. If she studies a map of an unfamiliar city for five minutes,that information remains imprinted on her mind until she leaves that city for longer than a week. For the cost of one Legend, the Boon can also reveal to a Scion how far away and in what direction the location she considers home lies. Alternatively, if the Scion finds herself in a strange place—if she’s been drugged and kidnapped, for instance—this Boon can tell her how far she is and in what direction she traveled from the last place she wasn’t lost.

Knacks

Hurl to the Horizon
Baseballs, manhole covers, beer kegs and other thrown objects become tiny specks in the distance when the Scion throws them. Having this Knack doubles the distance she can throw something as a feat of strength. It also doubles the Range of a normal thrown item after calculating the standard increase in Range granted for having Epic Strength. This Knack doesn’t make the character any better able to see or hit a target, however. Nor does it impart extra damage to an attack committed with a thrown weapon.

Cat’s Grace
This Knack imbues a Scion with the uncanny ability to remain on his feet despite treacherous terrain or an enemy’s best attempts to knock him down. For instance, a character with this Knack never suffers knockdown (see p. 198) from an attack. The player need not even roll. The character still suffers the damage, but he remains on his feet. Furthermore, a character with this Knack ignores all difficulty penalties based on unstable footing and treacherous terrain. He still suffers speed penalties for moving through ankle- to knee deep water or mud, but his dice pools for actions taken on such terrain suffer no penalties.

Trick Shooter
Not only do the Scion’s Epic Dexterity bonus successes add to (Dexterity + Marksmanship) dice rolls, he now doubles the bonus he receives from taking an Aim action (see p. 190) as well. What’s more, the player ignores the difficulty penalty for the character to either disarm an opponent with a ranged special attack or mark his opponent without causing damage. (See “Special Attacks” on p. 199.) A character must take an Aim action in order to be able to ignore such penalties, though. If a character fires from the hip or blazes away in a cordite-reeking, brass-raining, muzzle-strobing gunfight, only the regular bonus successes from his Epic Dexterity apply.

Untouchable Opponent
The Scion might as well be a ghost for all her enemies can lay a hand or a weapon on her. The Scion doubles the benefit that her Epic Dexterity dots add to her Dodge DV. She also ignores an amount of DV penalties due to unstable terrain equal to her Epic Dexterity dots. Only the normal Epic Dexterity bonus applies to the character’s Parry DV, though, and this Knack’s bonus to Dodge DV doesn’t apply if the character is merely hiding behind cover or tucked in behind a scutum like a lowly turtle. Only if the character is physically dodging the attacks that are coming her way does this Knack help her out. Activating this Knack costs one point of Legend. Its effects last for one scene.

Damage Conversion
The Scion can spend a single point of Legend to convert all the lethal damage from a single attack into bashing damage, though an overload of bashing damage still upgrades existing bashing damage to lethal (see p. 197). This Knack cannot convert aggravated damage into anything less grave. The character cannot convert old lethal damage into bashing damage. The Knack works only on incoming damage from a single attack.

Raise Your Glass
A Scion with this Knack isn’t just a power drinker, he takes power from drink. Once per scene, the Scion can restore a spent Legend point by downing a single serving of alcohol: a shot of hard liquor, a bottle or can of beer, a large glass of wine or a flagon of mead, for instance. To gain the Legend, the Scion must down the drink quickly and with at least a bit of flair. Nursing a beer for an hour isn’t worth Legend, though downing a pint of ale in one long pull and slamming the tankard down on the bar might be. Effectively, the character must turn drinking into a stunt performed for no purpose except to impress onlookers. This Knack does not protect the Scion from the normal effects of consuming alcohol, including any drugs or poisons the beverage might contain. In fact, activating this Knack bars a Scion from using his Epic Stamina to resist intoxication. Only normal Stamina applies. Also, characters cannot double-dip for Legend by taking a drink as part of a stunt performed for some other purpose (such a draining a mug of beer then throwing the mug at an enemy’s head as a distraction before an attack).

Predatory Focus
The Scion is a hunter par excellence. With a successful (Perception + Survival) roll, he can track his prey by scent alone or by almost-invisible physical signs. With this Knack, the hunter can follow his prey across any sort of terrain as long as the prey continues to flee and does not take significant pains to mask its scent or minimize the disturbance its passing causes. (The former entails such extremes as swimming a mile upstream in a rushing river or taking refuge inside a functioning hog-rendering plant. The latter includes little short of levitating or flying.) Picking up a lost trail with this Knack requires a new (Perception + Survival) roll. If the prey has Epic Wits or a Stealth Arete (see pp. 149-150), the hunter’s roll is contested against the prey’s (Wits + Stealth).

Combat

Unarmed Heavy:
Speed      5
ACC (+0)      -1   
Damage      +2B
Defense (-2)   

Unarmed Light
Speed      4   
ACC         +1
Damage      +0B
Defense (+1)   

Ichaival (Bow)
Speed   6   
ACC (+)   +1   
Damage   +5L   
Range   200   
Ammo   -   (Autofire)

Dodge DV: 9

Soak (Piercing):
Bashing      6
Lethal      4
Aggravated   2

Health:
-0         ( )
-0         ( )( )
-0         ( )( )
-2         ( )
I                      ( )
D                    ( )

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

HairyHeretic

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=222279.0

OOC thread is up. I'll set up a separate thread for character sheets later.

Feel free to move the general conversation over to the ooc thread. I have an idea of two I want to try out in terms of character generation, so something for everyone to think about .. what will your character be the God off, as they progress into their own Godhood? What will their specialities be, their attributes, abilities and purviews?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I think This will be a very interesting group!!

Phaia

yesiroleplay

Bumping this interest thread, since we lost a few players.
Looks to be a fun group, and we should be starting soon!

ChaoticSky

I take that to mean that recruitment is open again? Who did you loose?

yesiroleplay

kckolbe

Crash was playing an intelligent support type.  Phaia had two different concepts.

Intro Thread

ShadowFox89

Oooh, Scion? Color me interested. I had a one-eyed scion of Thor (long story about that one eye thing involving getting in a fight with an Odin scion....) gal that I never got to use much...
Call me Shadow
My A/A