News:

Main Menu

Dr Who anyone?

Started by spiritdancer, May 27, 2010, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cythieus

:O I loved Donna! She was my favorite. It was like the Doctor had a kid sister.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 08, 2010, 08:59:52 AM
:O I loved Donna! She was my favorite. It was like the Doctor had a kid sister.

It was'nt the charcter of Donna that annoyed me, it was the actress Cathrine Tate, ANY othr actress would have been amazing.

Cythieus

I think given that she's pretty annoying in everything other than Doctor Who, she did a good job. I had never heard of her before Doctor Who.

GeekFury

Well yeah she was'nt doing her 'Face, bothered, bothered,face' wich was a fucking god send, but having her 'comedy' force fed here in the UK and parroted by every annoying 12-17 year old made me want to strange someone.

Cythieus

I think its more that you know her there and over here she was just a random actress. I know shes a comedian (saw the little bit with her and Tennant) but it seemed like a small thing to me after the season started and she just easily took command of that role for me. She also reminded me a lot of a friend of mine. Same personality oddly enough.

GeekFury

Well yeah, if I had never seen her in anything else and just in Doctor Who I'd probably have taken to her more and funny thing is, that series was probably my favourite, it at least had the most episode in it I enjoyed, even if last three episode of the third series in the new lot are my all time favourites from the new series'.

Cythieus

Midnight and Blink are my favorite episodes.

spiritdancer

The only thing I do not like about Blink is, how little the Doctor appears in the episode. However, I think the way in whcih they explain him talking to someone through a video is outstanding.
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

Behold: The Star towers of the Electic Castle! See how it embraces the sky!
How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

GeekFury

There always had to be one 'Doctorless' episode I find, liek the one with the Absorblemoth wich was designed by a kid in a competition, that episode sucked. Blink atleast had the Doctor in it more, plus it was nice to see that as good as the Doctor is he could be beat, as he was in Blink and in Midnight.

Cythieus

Doctor Lite episodes create an interesting dynamic in the show, I like them because they're a change of pace from the normal thing. Of course he could have devised other ways to get out of that situation. Stealing the TARDIS from an earlier version of himself and sending it back to be there right after he'd taken it...finding Jack from that time and fixing the watch to jump back...

elliedark

Hey, I like Rory's character a lot. He's just a normal guy who goes about being dragged through time and space by his fiancee, and his actor does a good job at portraying that. Not only that, but he's also there to break up the romance. The romance around Rose was good, and I liked it because in the end it did work out for everyone (including Mickey). Martha's was just annoying and yes Martha we get you like the Doctor but he doesn't want to get involved, but it's old. I loved Donna because she wasn't really incompetent, but willing to get hands on, and there was no romance plot. It was just two friends going about time. Amy had a small thing for the Doctor, but that was cleared up in Amy's Choice and that was the end of it.

Blink is my favorite episode with Tenant because it shows that he doesn't have to be in the episode for a good episode of Doctor Who. He saved the day without direct influence and shows that even sometimes he needs the help of others rather then the other way around.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Cythieus

I don't know why people get think the romance thing is such a sin to do, the show went 30 something years with out it, they should at least explore it more than just in passing ways. I think it would be way more impacting if they went on with it instead of using the lame thing with Rory (who really seems like a lamer Mickey) to break it up.

And if Amy died in the end that would just be the end of the Doctor liking her and it would make for a way better plot that them showing us how much Amy likes the Doctor and then spending (wasting) episodes trying to invalidate what they just showed us.

elliedark

It's not a sin, it just needs to be done right. Frankly, Martha's was done poorly and was really repetitive, and Donna's lack of interest was refreshing in comparison. I really liked the romance between Rose and the Doctor and think they did a fantastic job when all was said and done. As for Rory, like I said I like him much better then Micky, who just seemed too... whiny. At least until he stayed in the other universe, then he became an action hero almost. I also like what happened at the end of The End of Time. Even Capt Jack got someone, and the Doctor got to see Rose again (heart wrenching scene really).
Ellie's O/O

Cythieus

I'm not really a huge fan of Rose.

spiritdancer

Well, I guess they did it right with Rose. :) I like her. Everyone I talked to either liked her or hated her. That is awesome! It's so much better thna her being dismissed as just "nah". Martha just seems pale compared to her, Donna or Amy.
Not that I disliked Martha, but maybe she was a bit too serious.
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

GeekFury

Quote from: elliedark on June 08, 2010, 08:54:02 PM
Hey, I like Rory's character a lot. He's just a normal guy who goes about being dragged through time and space by his fiancee, and his actor does a good job at portraying that. Not only that, but he's also there to break up the romance. The romance around Rose was good, and I liked it because in the end it did work out for everyone (including Mickey). Martha's was just annoying and yes Martha we get you like the Doctor but he doesn't want to get involved, but it's old. I loved Donna because she wasn't really incompetent, but willing to get hands on, and there was no romance plot. It was just two friends going about time. Amy had a small thing for the Doctor, but that was cleared up in Amy's Choice and that was the end of it.

Yeah at the end of Amy's Choice it was resolved, but straight after that the story ark goes to well, if you have'nt seen it I won't spoil it, Rory 'leaving' and giving Amy free range to persue the Doctor if she wishes, I hope at the end they bring Rory back if only to stop this Amy crushing on the Doctor and him not wanting it.

Then again I like Amy, red hair and the first time I found someone from my own country to have a sexy accent. I can see why the ladies love my scottish accent. :P

Stan'

It's nice that they actually kept her Scottish accent, rather than have her speak the bloody BBC's English.  It's a shame that David Tennant didn't do that.  After all, the 9th Doctor had a northern accent!  Would have been a refreshing change but ach well, he was good enough without it I guess.

Oh, and have you ever heard how amazingly fluent John Barrowman is when switching from an American accent to a Scottish one?  He can do it in the same sentence, it's the most strangest thing ever.

elliedark

Quote from: GeekFury on June 09, 2010, 03:57:07 AM
Yeah at the end of Amy's Choice it was resolved, but straight after that the story ark goes to well, if you have'nt seen it I won't spoil it, Rory 'leaving' and giving Amy free range to persue the Doctor if she wishes, I hope at the end they bring Rory back if only to stop this Amy crushing on the Doctor and him not wanting it.

Then again I like Amy, red hair and the first time I found someone from my own country to have a sexy accent. I can see why the ladies love my scottish accent. :P

If you notice though, it's still resolved. She just seems to think it's odd that the Doctor took her to places like Arcadia, which to me says there isn't anything going on anymore. Amy's Choice still happened, and whatever happened still resolved it. I'm really looking forward to see how everything comes together, especially the bit at the end of Cold Blood. I have my theories and hunches, but we'll see what happens.

I like Amy too, and yes I find myself liking her for other things too. ;)
Ellie's O/O

GeekFury

My theory is that when the Pandorical open the Doctor will probably try to sacrifice the TARDIS ( And save it now he knows whats coming. ) to undo what the cracks have done, bringing back Rory, the ducks in the pond, the memory of the Daleks and Daveros' attempt to destroy reality the Cyber King in victorian London and all that.

spiritdancer

the ducks in the pond!
I never thought about that of being of any significance. But yes, put like that it is!
Ons and Offs

TheGerbilyOne

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 10, 2010, 06:44:54 AM
the ducks in the pond!
I never thought about that of being of any significance. But yes, put like that it is!

You probably never noticed the 2nd Doctor in the Angels two parter either. They have been very sneaky in slipping in some things that will become important later on, or so I think.

Cythieus

I hope Rory stays dead, I am tried of these shows reviving people all the time.

And there's more than the ducks. There's the entire part when Amy's a child, the flash back they did to it at the end of the last two parter showed it completely different from how it happened, the two doctors I noticed, there's Amy and Rory from the future, which seems odd given we don't see them up close. There's the fact that Prisoner 0 was in jail, knew what the Doctor had done and the Pandorica and we don't know what he was in jail for...

There's a lot of stuff.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 10, 2010, 11:36:28 AM
there's Amy and Rory from the future, which seems odd given we don't see them up close.

Well when they saw Amy and Rory of the future Rory had'nt been erased from time, not just future and past but all of time and space, you know, wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

King_Furby

The latest episode with Vincent Van Gogh was amazing, great blend of what makes dr who great tv.

spiritdancer

Yes. Maybe it was filled with a little bit of kitsch and some scenes were over-the-top emotional. But that is just what I love.
Ons and Offs