News:

Main Menu

Dr Who anyone?

Started by spiritdancer, May 27, 2010, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritdancer

So? Any of you a fan of the Doctor? Of the New Doctor, meaning anything since 2005? Of Matt Smith?

What do you think of the series?

Of course I love it, because it's not a TV series. Look at the way stories are told. It's very different to anything I know. I'll explain later :)
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

Behold: The Star towers of the Electic Castle! See how it embraces the sky!
How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

HockeyGod

Oh yes spiritdancer...there are a TON of fans around here  ;D

I'm curious about your comment. When will you explain?  ;)

spiritdancer

Dr Who is essentially not a TV Series. It happens to be shown on TV, but since 2005 I'd rather compare it to a comic series. It's action-driven fast-paced, but apart from that, there are elements, that are used in fast succession on the show, that are not as prominent anywhere else.

- Death is not permanent.
Look at the ways of bringing back the Dalek. Again. And again. I love that. Much of the same goes for The Master or the Cybermen.

- Reconning
It's basically built into the show concept. If you're not happy with something that happened in the past? Change it. Find a way to change the continuity. I think that is not a failure, but that is awesome. I have no doubts, that sooner or later (maybe in another incarnation of the show), Galifrey will live and thrive again. The Doctor won't be the last of his kind anymore.

- In-Your-Face characters
Basically what the title says. Of course there are subtle undertones, but the gist of a character is very easy to catch. Archetypes and cliches are used and they are used well.

The whole storytelling is episodic, yet with a plot spanning over the whole season, done better than in most other shows - if those other shows possess such a plot at all. The whole format works like that of a comic. And that without the series comiing actually from a comic.

This most clear contrast to this should be Smallville, I think. Smallville should be like this. But even then it wouldn't be quite as much fun for me.
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

elliedark

I am a HUGE Doctor Who fan, and have been for a little whole now.  Eccleston was my first Doctor (you never forget :3) and I though he was fantastic! Then Tennant came along and did such an amazing job. He portrayed the Doctor perfectly and in such a memorable way that he will live on to become as Iconic as Baker because he IS the Baker of this generation. Tennant not only had the character, but you really got a feel for his emotions, and how powerful they were as a character. I cried at the end of The End of Time when he said "I don't want to go!" because I didn't want him to go either (not to mention Russel T. Davis departing). Then Matt Smith came along and I must say, he definitely makes for a good Doctor, though he still has half a season to go. Right now, I think he's brilliant, but it's still early to tell. As much as I loved Eccleston, I feel he didn't have enough time to develop as much as he could have and I really think he could have gone far, so let's hope Matt Smith gets that time. I think he has potential and a lot of it, but he still has to fill shoes of one of the best Doctors ever (at least in my opinion). Not to mention he'd better last because we're running out of Doctors, which makes me wonder what they're going to do when the time comes for the end of the 12th Doctor. ???
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

spiritdancer

Umm. Running out of Doctors? Care to explain that one?

I am not really sad with RTD's department. He was good, but look who's taken over: Steven Moffat! How can that be bad. He write some of the bestest ( ;) ) episodes ever! BESTEST I TELL YOU! Silence in the Library!

And Matt Smith ... well ... with every episode passing I am warming up more to him. It's just amazing what he can do. It's just not ... always as obvious and "open" as Tennant did things, but if you pay attention, it's nonetheless awesome.
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 30, 2010, 03:20:13 AM

Well it's said a timelord can only regenerate 12 times or something like that, can't remember but is matt is either 10th or 11th. i'm sure if the show lasts that long they will think of something. like the doctors dna is changed so he can regenerate more times.

elliedark

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 30, 2010, 03:20:13 AM

I am not really sad with RTD's department. He was good, but look who's taken over: Steven Moffat! How can that be bad. He write some of the bestest ( ;) ) episodes ever! BESTEST I TELL YOU! Silence in the Library!

And Matt Smith ... well ... with every episode passing I am warming up more to him. It's just amazing what he can do. It's just not ... always as obvious and "open" as Tennant did things, but if you pay attention, it's nonetheless awesome.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad Moffat took over because if anyone could fill RTD's shoes it's him (Blink anyone? :3). RTD has easily become my favorite writer for the show though, but I will admit that Moffat is definitely good and is doing a fantastic job!

I agree with Matt Smith. The more I watch, the more I am falling in love with him and he is defiantly up there with Tennant, but I still think Tennant has something that Smith is missing. However, that doesn't mean Smith is bad by any stretch of the word, and hopefully he'll stay on for awhile so we can really see how his portrayal advances because he has potential.

Quote from: King_Furby on May 30, 2010, 03:37:47 AM
Well it's said a timelord can only regenerate 12 times or something like that, can't remember but is matt is either 10th or 11th. i'm sure if the show lasts that long they will think of something. like the doctors dna is changed so he can regenerate more times.

Matt Smith is the 11th incarnation of The Doctor meaning he has regenerated 10 times leaving 2 more. Since it is becoming more popular, they may very well extend him beyond 12 and I'm sure they will have a good reason for it. =D
Ellie's O/O

spiritdancer

I am pretty sure, they can make even a bad reason into a good reason! The show is like that! There's a lot of Deus Ex Machina if you look at the episodes closely. Just whipping up an idea, instead of carefully trying to resolve a story, but in the case of The Doctor, that's okay. And why? Because it's always done brilliantly.
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 30, 2010, 06:41:43 AM
I am pretty sure, they can make even a bad reason into a good reason! The show is like that! There's a lot of Deus Ex Machina if you look at the episodes closely. Just whipping up an idea, instead of carefully trying to resolve a story, but in the case of The Doctor, that's okay. And why? Because it's always done brilliantly.
Well I'll say this right now:

Deus Ex Machina was made for science fiction. You cannot have a fantastic world where there's all these machines and aliens and new ways of thinking and not have some kind of God answer from some of the fantastical swag. Look at the TARDIS it's deus ex in a blue police box!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

spiritdancer

Not the TARDIS per se, but how it's used often enough.

I don't have a problem with making things up on the fly, but if a believable explanation is given or hints are given as to what's happening okay. If you just produce stuff randomly? Usually that's not good. Especially in Scifi. But Dr. Who ... I don't really think it is Scifi. It's a fantasy or horror show in a scifi guise maybe. I'd call it Science Fantasy (like so many other shows deemed to be Scifi)
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Please do not call Dr. Who sci-fantasy. Just don't. It's not just don't. *Twitch*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

spiritdancer

Sorry, but it is. No. Not sorry. Actually most of the things I like are more in the realm of Science Fantasy, than anything else. Some do better in that regard than others - apart from the Doctor there is for example Riddick. I loved how that movie provided terms, designs and an action driven story reminiscent of a video game. When I saw it for the first time (and I didn't see Pitch Black before it), I actually thought it was a movie for a video game ^^

Back to the Doctor though: I was not too thrilled with the last episode "Cold Blood", the first part of this two-part episode was a lot better. The thing I really liked a lot about it, though, was the very end :D
Ons and Offs

Caela

Hehehe...I am so glad I found this thread! I love the Dr.! I started watching with Eccleston and I'm usually behind since I'm in the states, and worse than that I don't have cable so I have to either have friends record it for me or wait til it comes out on DVD. I usually opt for the latter so I can get the whole season from Netflix at once and do a marathon weekend. :D

I adored Tennant and am reserving judgment on Smith since I've been able to see one episode so far of his. I think he has a lot of potential and will be amazing once I stop trying to compare him to DT.

spiritdancer

Oh, I guess the comparison doesn't really matter. You just have to be able to accept change.
And wow, does the Doctor change. A lot.

Now, if only comics could go that way ...
Ons and Offs

Caela

lol...I'm sure I'll accept it once I really get to watch the new season. Right now though it's hard for me not to compare because I've only been able to watch the first episode so Smith hasn't really gotten the chance to stand on his own for me yet.

GeekFury

*Runs in waving my 11th Doctors Sonic Screwdriver toy.*

HUGE Doctor Who fan, I blame my mum showing me Tom Bakers run as Doctor Who on video when I was a kid.

*Puts on my Tom Baker Doctor Who Scarf and jumps in the TARDIS*

TALLY HO! Now where did I put my 3D glasses...

DarklingAlice

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 30, 2010, 05:33:44 PMI'd call it Science Fantasy (like so many other shows deemed to be Scifi)
It is totally Science Fantasy! Or to quote a master in the field:

Quote from: Neil Gaiman
“Doctor Who has never pretended to be hard science fiction. At best Doctor Who is a fairytale, with fairytale logic about this wonderful man in this big blue box who at the beginning of every story lands somewhere where there is a problem…”
http://scifimafia.com/2010/05/neil-gaiman-plays-god-with-doctor-who
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Caela

Hehehe...a Science Fairytale, I like that!

RubySlippers

The series went downhill after Tom Baker and the new series is a fraking abomination of the noblle lineage of the haory series the longest run of any sci-fi series in TV.

Come on this started with the TIME LORDS the masters of time and space losing to the Daleks which was stopped by The Doctor (Baker) working for the Celestial Intervention Agency - hello no contest.

And the source of the Time Lords Time Power was a black hole every real fan knows that from the real Dr Who series.

Add to that the episodes are to short I liked the MOVIE length version you could get into the plot and have real character development, the Doctor is into hanky panky now come on that is beneath consideration and there has to be a Time Lord left Romana in E-Space likely wasn't taken out she was not in N-Space unless the Daleks went over there just to kill her.

Overall save for the special effects it was so sad to watch.

And about the Doctors every FAN knows the Time Lords get TWELVE regenerations the Master managed that trick with the use of very powerful alien magic and taking over the body of a hostto get a THIRTEENTH. So technically he should be dying off soon for good unless they mess around with that to. (grrrrrrr)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 31, 2010, 12:19:21 PM
The series went downhill after Tom Baker and the new series is a fraking abomination of the noblle lineage of the haory series the longest run of any sci-fi series in TV.

Come on this started with the TIME LORDS the masters of time and space losing to the Daleks which was stopped by The Doctor (Baker) working for the Celestial Intervention Agency - hello no contest.

And the source of the Time Lords Time Power was a black hole every real fan knows that from the real Dr Who series.

Add to that the episodes are to short I liked the MOVIE length version you could get into the plot and have real character development, the Doctor is into hanky panky now come on that is beneath consideration and there has to be a Time Lord left Romana in E-Space likely wasn't taken out she was not in N-Space unless the Daleks went over there just to kill her.

Overall save for the special effects it was so sad to watch.

And about the Doctors every FAN knows the Time Lords get TWELVE regenerations the Master managed that trick with the use of very powerful alien magic and taking over the body of a hostto get a THIRTEENTH. So technically he should be dying off soon for good unless they mess around with that to. (grrrrrrr)

Don't be hating Ruby. :D

I remember Baker nearly killing the series when he tried to stall things out to keep his girl on the show.

It's not the OLD doctor, but it's not all bad. Just settle back and and smile, and remind yourself that it could be worse. The US deal could have gone thru and FOX would be making the Doctor now. (Of course they would have cancelled the show for a reality TV show sometime halfway thru the second season)

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 01:22:23 PM
Don't be hating Ruby. :D

I remember Baker nearly killing the series when he tried to stall things out to keep his girl on the show.

It's not the OLD doctor, but it's not all bad. Just settle back and and smile, and remind yourself that it could be worse. The US deal could have gone thru and FOX would be making the Doctor now. (Of course they would have cancelled the show for a reality TV show sometime halfway thru the second season)

Ackkkkkk, the very idea of FOX producing the Doctor.....noooooooooooooo...and I live in the US! lol

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
Ackkkkkk, the very idea of FOX producing the Doctor.....noooooooooooooo...and I live in the US! lol

They did a PILOT .. be afraid.. be VERY afraid. I saw it.. but it's in the 'Highlander 2' file. It NEVER REALLY happened.

Caela

They can make as many pilots as they long...so long as it never makes it to TV i'll call it good!

Neroon

OK, I'm probably showing my age here, but I can actually remember when police boxes existed outside of a television studio.  There was one by the clock tower on Lewisham high street when I was a kid and I can remember watching it very carefully whenever we went there shopping, in case the Doctor stepped out of it.  I imagine that admitting that the Doctor I was thinking about was the Patrick Troughton incarnation may well age me even more.

It has been said that your first Doctor is like your first love; you never forget and good though the others may be, thay have to do a great deal to eclipse the first.  Personally, I take that with a pinch of salt, as much fondness as I might have for the Troughton years, I have to say that there were better periods in the programme's history.

At it's best, Doctor Who managed to combine a genuine sense of peril with a sense of fun that appealed to children of all ages.  Hard SF it isn't and never has been; it was Poul Anderson who gave a  very good argument for considering anything involving time travel as fantasy and not SF, though I have to admit I haven't the faintest idea what that argument was.  All I remember was that it impressed me greatly when I read it.

For me, the real issue is whether the "New Who" holds true to the spirit of the old or not.  I'll leave debates of whether there's only one other incarnation left or not to the continuity nazis as, frankly, such things are beside the point.  From its earliest beginnings, the show made it up as it went along.  The whole reincarnation thing was a masterstroke of invention produced to conveniently explain changing Hartnell for Troughton.  Later, to explain the Master's decrepit appearance in The Deadly Assassin the idea of twelve incarnations was invented.  I see no reason why the programme should not just quietly ignore this or pull out one of the dei ex machinae of which the modern form of the show is so fond to explain this away.

If the idea of this raises your hackles, well remember that the daleks were utterly destroyed in their very first storyline and yet were able to return when children all over Britain took to wandering around school playgrounds with cardboard boxes on their heads grating in mechanical voices, "exterminate".  Likewise, the cybermen somehow found a way back from final death in their first adventure to return and then from a different home planet, from Telos, rather than Mondas.  The programme makers feel free to reinvent the history of the show as they need to to make it relevant and enjoyable to each generation and more power to them for doing so.  It was only during the dark ages of the eighties and early nineties, when the hierarchy at Auntie Beeb decreed that the show had to be lighter and less scary that it lost its way.

In the "New Who" the show has returned to it's roots.  It might have lost the multi-part format, it might have buggered with continuity and created all sorts of other issues with the possibility of hanky-panky in the Tardis (though admittedly, in my teenage years I would so readily have "done" Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana and one or two others and thought that the Doctor must have had superhuman self restraint not to have done the same) but in the end, it shares the same spirit as the original.  And for that, I am glad.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

spiritdancer

And as fr the the continuity "problems" - and the fanboy wars fought over The Doctor, or rather the doctors, well ...
... as I said. It's not really a TV show. It's a comic. And that's the highest praise I can offer to any show. It's a comic, and because of that there are those "problems" and there are those fanboy (and fangirl) wars. It's awesome.

On a podcast (not a Dr. Who podcast. I don't listen to those, yet) I listen to the folks said: It's the best show on TV currently, rivaling the quality of The Twilight Zone. And for me, that is so, totally true!
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 01:33:39 PM
They did a PILOT .. be afraid.. be VERY afraid. I saw it.. but it's in the 'Highlander 2' file. It NEVER REALLY happened.

Like the American version of Life on Mars that made it all a dream, in a dream of astronauts going to Mars... Or the American Red Dwarf pilot.. DID'NT HAPPEN!

spiritdancer

Some things the Americans or Germans just can't do. Some things just the folks of great Britain ... or if you prefer this: The United Kingdom can do. We Germans can't even properly show the series over here. The translation is so half-hearted (I admit. It's hard, but it's far from impossible!), and I guess the humor is so different, that it doesn't work.

Now, just don't get me started on German humor though..
Ons and Offs

Callie Del Noire

I remember my first episode. It was WAY back when.. about 2 seasons before the Tom Baker strike that made that gap of time so unfun. (That would be around 1979 ish that I saw my first ep.)

Surprisingly I seem to be in the minority of my friends in that he's my 2nd or 3rd favorite (not top)

WhiteyChan

I've seen the entire run of the original Dr Who vs The Daleks, back in black and white, when nobody knew who the Daleks were. That was brilliant, still good even today.

The reboot of the show is generally pretty good, I think. Its made an otherwise niche show into a mainstream broadcast, so all credit to the team there. Even if it was starting to wane under Russell T Davies, the new head writer, Stephen Moffat, is an incredible writer - Matt Smith is doing a pretty decent job of it as well, so far. Nice to see a range of emotion in the Doctor every now and then.

Callie Del Noire

I like the mystery behind Professor River Song. Nice to see someone who can continually get a leg up on the Doctor

Inkidu

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 31, 2010, 03:12:02 AM
Sorry, but it is. No. Not sorry. Actually most of the things I like are more in the realm of Science Fantasy, than anything else. Some do better in that regard than others - apart from the Doctor there is for example Riddick. I loved how that movie provided terms, designs and an action driven story reminiscent of a video game. When I saw it for the first time (and I didn't see Pitch Black before it), I actually thought it was a movie for a video game ^^

Back to the Doctor though: I was not too thrilled with the last episode "Cold Blood", the first part of this two-part episode was a lot better. The thing I really liked a lot about it, though, was the very end :D
God you just won't stop! Now it's Riddick! I'll never be able to watch anything with that stupid paradoxical title! Fantastical things happen in science fiction because the science or the exotic locales not because of magic. Sure Riddick had some moments of mysticism but that wasn't totally unexplainable the way fantasy magic is. In science fiction everything has an explanation no matter how fantastical it seems. Any good science fiction. Save sci-fantasy for things like Avatar.

What a stupid name for sub-genre... bleck!

The Doctor is always willing and quite proud to put up some totally B.S. sciencey sounding answer and that's what's awesome!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: GeekFury on May 31, 2010, 02:51:08 PM
Like the American version of Life on Mars that made it all a dream, in a dream of astronauts going to Mars... Or the American Red Dwarf pilot.. DID'NT HAPPEN!

You shouldn't scare me by saying something like that?

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 04:53:57 PM
I like the mystery behind Professor River Song. Nice to see someone who can continually get a leg up on the Doctor

Oooooo, is she back in the new season?! I loved her in the library episode, especially the look on the Doctor's face when she whispered his name to him.

elliedark

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 07:18:14 PM
Oooooo, is she back in the new season?! I loved her in the library episode, especially the look on the Doctor's face when she whispered his name to him.

Oh yes she's back and for each question answered, 4 more show up.

I just saw Cold Blood yesterday and I enjoyed the episode, but it was the end that did it. I nearly cried and then my jaw hit the floor.
Ellie's O/O

Caela

Quote from: elliedark on May 31, 2010, 07:59:16 PM
Oh yes she's back and for each question answered, 4 more show up.

I just saw Cold Blood yesterday and I enjoyed the episode, but it was the end that did it. I nearly cried and then my jaw hit the floor.

Very cool!! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD here so I can watch alllllllllllll of them lol

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 07:18:14 PM

Yup.. just saw the two parter with her this weekend (thank you 'On Demand')

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 08:14:15 PM
Yup.. just saw the two parter with her this weekend (thank you 'On Demand')

lol...See there's my problem, I refuse to pay for cable. I'd only watch like 3-5 channels, so very much not worth it to me.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 08:24:09 PM
lol...See there's my problem, I refuse to pay for cable. I'd only watch like 3-5 channels, so very much not worth it to me.

Same here.. (mostly) but they are all cable channels. Plus I have this dislike of paying a 'pay for not having cable tv' with a 'non-usage' fee. (A buddy of mine has satellite but he has to pay extra for just the cable modem)

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 08:53:32 PM
Same here.. (mostly) but they are all cable channels. Plus I have this dislike of paying a 'pay for not having cable tv' with a 'non-usage' fee. (A buddy of mine has satellite but he has to pay extra for just the cable modem)

Hmmmm, have never heard of that before! I don't use a cable modem though so that might be why. My modem runs through my phone lines.

spiritdancer

Oh yes. Riversong is back. And wait until you see these episodes. There are more smilarities with the two Library episodes, than just that.
Adn we'll see even more of her.
Ons and Offs

Caela

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 01, 2010, 04:06:57 AM
Oh yes. Riversong is back. And wait until you see these episodes. There are more smilarities with the two Library episodes, than just that.
Adn we'll see even more of her.

Yay! I wasn't sure we would with her recognizing DT as her Doctor and them him regenerating into Matt Smith. I was hoping she'd still be in the picture but wasn't sure.

spiritdancer

I'm not such a great fan of hers. But I love the episodes she's in. Blame Moffat!
Ons and Offs

elliedark

The library episodes were great, really great, but Blink is still one of the best episodes Moffat has ever made.
Ellie's O/O

Stan'

Rumour has it, she's been filming scenes for the two-part finale.

WhiteyChan

Quote from: elliedark on June 01, 2010, 07:45:29 AM
The library episodes were great, really great, but Blink is still one of the best episodes Moffat has ever made.

Don't forget the gas-mask episodes in the first series, with Christopher Eccleston.

Stan'

Quote from: WhiteyChan on June 01, 2010, 08:08:44 AM
Don't forget the gas-mask episodes in the first series, with Christopher Eccleston.

With Richard Wilson.  Great actor.

King_Furby

I only started to enjoy Dr Who with this 2005 reboot, and i like all the episodes. the new series with matt isn't as good as tennants run, but matt is still growing into the role, in the end he is still fun to watch. the reboot has saved dr who, it has a way larger audience now. i download the new episodes every sunday, it's great to watch with my dad.

spiritdancer

Ons and Offs

Caela

Quote from: elliedark on June 01, 2010, 07:45:29 AM

Blink just freaks me the hell out! lol.. If I'm watching a bunch of episodes (on a weekend or something) I will start them early enough that I don't have to watch that ep at night, hehehe...Amazingly well done, one of my favorites!

sexybamagirl69

I love Doctor Who. I was in love with David Tennent, but I like that Matt Smith is a little younger.

TheGerbilyOne

Definitely a fan here, even have a couple of cheesy fan characters based around the series.

My first encounter with the series was when PBS was showing a select portion of Tom Bakers episodes long long ago. I remember the way everyone looked at me when I started talking about it at school, because of course Star Trek and Star Wars dominated.

Its a fun little series, which likes to not focus on the shooty shooty blow stuff uppy part of science fiction. That I can definitely get behind.

spiritdancer

Ouhhh... Just got some Soundtracks from the series since 2005. I can't wait till I can get my hands on the OST to the newest season! This one is so very, very awesome!

And by the way, is it just me, or ... does the new Tardis have quite some elements of a Pinball machine? And does the music not fit that theme, too? Whenever I listen to the what a friend of mine called "The Doctor's gonna be awesome"-theme, I have to think, that this theme would make a wonderful theme for a Pinball machine, too.

Anyone here know or remember Pro Pinball: Timeshock! ? ... Okay, I guess I'm derailing my own thread a bit here.
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

yea the opening theme of the latest season sucks, so i'm glad i can skip past it. I think donna nobel was the best companion so far. I love the episode were tennant drank the cynide and for the cure needed a "shock" and nobel kissed him..lol great look on the doctors face. Amy Pond is just anoying i hope they replace her next season, she just seems like a younger more nieve rose, though if i were the doc..i'd tap that, Amy is cute =)

spiritdancer

I don't share your opinion on the opening theme (it sounds more classical yet modern. Not as driving, but more ominous, looking. I love that).
I also don't share your opinion on Amy and you'll be disappointed because it seems she'll stay on the show for another season. Which makes me happy. And the comparison to Rose doesn't really hold true. Just remember Rose with the BFG. She was so hands-on there, and it was very fitting. I can't imagine Amy being like that. Ever. (Just one example)

And now, let the Flamewar begin! HAH!
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

flame war, nah i respect your viewpoint. i just don't like Amy. I just want to see more daleks! I wonder if the slavene will show up this season. I want to see jack harkness meet the new doc.

Stan'

More Daleks is the last thing we need.

spiritdancer

It's LEGO Daleks now! ... But honestly I don't mind the new looks. And I prefer other dangers than the Daleks, too. The creepy dangers. Those that we have not yet encountered and those that are harder to grasp.

One of the most powerful episodes in this regard (though not the best) was the Shakespearean one, where those hags tried to open a portal through their homeworld.
It was magic, yet it was not yet magic. IMO there we have seen magic handled like it should be handled. With a set of rules, to show how it works and what you can do with it. Not just *snip* anything goes.
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

i can't wait tillthe new dr who adventure game comes out

Teno

I actually just finished the game/episode. It's not bad for a freebie, though the fact that you get instakilled if the daleks spot you is rather annoying. *shrugs* Did have a little bit of the episode vibe too, though it would probably be better if it was left to the actors ;)

King_Furby

yea i'm waiing for a us version, so far haven't seen one. Damn Uk lol

elliedark

Can't wait to get the new episode tonight. Looks action packed and awesome with Vincint Van Gogh !
Ellie's O/O

spiritdancer

IMO it was not only awesome, it was one of the awesomest episodes ever! (Yeah! I know! I'm supposed to say "most awesome", if anything ;) )
Ons and Offs

spiritdancer

My personal favourite scene: When the three of them are lying on the ground, staring up at the stars. You probably can't do much better than that.

This is one of the very few scenes, where the imagery is really at its best. I wish that were more often the case with this show. Moments like this remind me of the movie "The Fountain".
Ons and Offs

elliedark

Oh I know! I just watched yesterday and that scene was incredible. Definitely one of my favorite scenes and a brilliant portrayal of an artists mind.
Ellie's O/O

Ramster

Best episode of the series, by far! And I'm also pleased to see the back of Rory; I'm sick to the teeth of the Doctor's companions' moronic boyfriends in recent series.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

spiritdancer

Just wait for it. I doubt it'll end there.
Ons and Offs

Imogen

I remember watching Dr Who when I was a kid and my anger when my parents turned off the TV because I couldn't sleep at night, too busy inventing new adventuring for Peter Davison, the Daleks and so many other Tardis travellers. My husband kinda shares my memories, although for him the first doctor was Tom Baker.

When the new series came out, we both postponed watching for fear of being disappointed and seeing treasured childhood memories assaulted.

Much to our surprise, we LOVED the new series. The first new doctor was brilliant, he had the mood down and the writers had done an excellent job of transplanting the much loved, old ingredients into today's world. I am in awe at how well the Doctor fits in this time, and I take my hat off to the authors. We are currently watching David Tennant as the Doctor, and I have to admit he does a good job although his cuteness factor is a wee bit too high for my personal taste. Still, he moved me to tears in the Pompadour episode and had me sitting on the edge of my seat in others.

I'm glad for a couple of episodes without Daleks though, and I am cheering at the Silence in the Library currently. We're in the middle of that story, so no spoilers please! :-)

BTW, did anyone else enjoy the plot around Jack, the time travel agent? It had my hubby and me giggling madly, we so should have seen that one coming, but we didn't, and it made for a great laugh.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Stan'

It's one of the few week points of the current Doctor Who/Torchwood series.  Rose, Amy and that lassie from Torchwood -- I think her name is Gwen -- all have boyfriends that require the women to hold their hand at every turn.  It's getting a little annoying.  Yes, yes... we know they're strong female characters -- but that doesn't mean you have to turn all the men on earth in to useless idiots to reinforce it.

spiritdancer

That problem is not limited to Doctor Who. Apparently it si very very hard to do the relationship and "strengths" between the genders "just right". Either the men devolve into idiots (I saw that with Mickey. Rickey. Err. Whatever. I don't see that really with Rory. He's not outstanding, but I don't really think he's an idiot.) or the women constantly need their support and are basically just there to give the men an excuse to be strong at key elements of the story. It annoys the hell out of me.

What would really thrill me would be a female Doctor, but I guess that is very hard to do right and it's not gonna happen anyway. Timelord reincarnation seems to keep the gender. Sadly.
Ons and Offs

Imogen

I didn't mind the Mickey/Ricky thing so much. In fact, i thought it refreshing to see a character admit he didn't dare to go to different worlds and rather stay at home, be it a guy or a girl. I liked the character for it, and enjoyed it even more when he grew into a hero via the Ricky storyline. I think he was meant to be a minor character and those usually don't get the kind of development a main character gets, which is, I think, as it should be. In that light, Mickey had a good storyline, and I liked how he grew from a liability to an asset.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cythieus

I don't think I have met anyone who actually watched the old Doctor Who today and liked it. As for the new series I find it pretty enjoyable and well written. It only seems to be fans of the old series who complain about it. I've tried watching the old and its funny some of the time but I really just can't get into it. There are brilliant enjoyable moments and there is some important stuff. But I don't think anyone who really watches the two shows from a clean slate has complained about the new one more than the old.

Also, I am glad Torchwood is back, for them to have ended after Children of Earth--which was probably some of the best writing Torchwood ever saw, would have been a travesty.

Edit: I hated Rory, it seemed like him being there ruined Amy's character and he was just boring. He never struck me as being interesting or likable in the least and the only good quality he had was being Matt smith's punching bag.

spiritdancer

The thing with fans of the old series and new series getting hard into the opposite for fans of either might be partially due to the differences in storytelling. It's like you try to read a comic series from the 80s nowadays. It can be hard. It can even be painful. The style in storytelling in TV series these days has definitely changed lot compared to 20 years back.
Ons and Offs

TheGerbilyOne

Quote from: elliedark on June 08, 2010, 12:58:33 AM
Oh I know! I just watched yesterday and that scene was incredible. Definitely one of my favorite scenes and a brilliant portrayal of an artists mind.

My personal favorite scene was Gogh being taken into the future and getting to see all his paintings hung up in a museum of the worlds best artists. The actor got that pitch perfect, and I had to say, his crush on Amy was cute. He didn't push to much, but at the same time he was definitely interested in this strange woman.

Agreed on all counts, not only is this one of the best "Doctor meets a historical figure" episodes, it is also one of the best episodes of NuWho hands down.

Cythieus

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 08, 2010, 08:05:27 AM
The thing with fans of the old series and new series getting hard into the opposite for fans of either might be partially due to the differences in storytelling. It's like you try to read a comic series from the 80s nowadays. It can be hard. It can even be painful. The style in storytelling in TV series these days has definitely changed lot compared to 20 years back.

Having studied writing a lot, I get that. If I were to write a novel like it was the 1950s, I would have a hard time selling it in today's market. It seems people don't get that. I really try to view things through new glasses when looking at them in different time periods.

Quote from: TheGerbilyOne on June 08, 2010, 08:11:09 AM
My personal favorite scene was Gogh being taken into the future and getting to see all his paintings hung up in a museum of the worlds best artists. The actor got that pitch perfect, and I had to say, his crush on Amy was cute. He didn't push to much, but at the same time he was definitely interested in this strange woman.

Agreed on all counts, not only is this one of the best "Doctor meets a historical figure" episodes, it is also one of the best episodes of NuWho hands down.

I almost cried when they took him to that museum. That was probably one of the best moments this season.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 08, 2010, 08:20:46 AM
I almost cried when they took him to that museum. That was probably one of the best moments this season.

I was the same!

But I disagree with the hate to Rory, while I personally didn't like him, he did feel like an anchor for Amy instead of her falling in love with the Doctor from the get go, as to be honest I am SICK of these new contrived love plots for the Doctor, be wit Rose or Martha and yes I know it's always been there, but come on Rose had Mickey and Amy had Rory, and both straight away basically forgot they had a boyfriend to fall in love with the Doctor, hell Amy was about to get MARRIED. Honestly the heart breaking goodbye to Rose was handled really well I felt and even when he left the Human Time Lord Meta Crisis with Rose. ( Dues Ex Machina at it's finest. )

This maybe why in The End of Time I loved Wilf so much as the Doctors companion there, as there was no forced love object but a man who saw the Doctor as all that was good in the universe, as for Wilf the Doctor saw him as all that was good in humanity and when Wilf said he'd have been proud to be the Doctors father to the Master and later the Doctor saying he'd be proud for Wilf to be his father I was really moved. Also the finale when Wilf was locked in the radiation chamber got me, I had thought 'Wow he beat the Master he's not going to die, but how are they going to swing his regeneration?' and then you hear Wilf knocking on the glass and see the Doctor's face drop as he realises it wasn't the Master but Wilf who was his killer. Even when he said to Wilf's plea to leave him 'Oh well fine then, I'll be off', you know he couldn't leave Wilf and as angry as he was at him for being stupid and getting locked in there, he couldn't let him die as he loved Wilf, loved him as the father he probably wished he had and when he told him it'd be his honour to die for Wilf I was on the verge of breaking down and weeping at just how sad that was.

Wow that was rather the rant for me..

But yeah, don't hate on Rory, hate on the fact they always have to find away to crowbar in Doctor/Companion love story, even if Matt Smith's Doctor is trying really hard to not lead Amy on. Also as teeth grindingly annoy as Cathrine Tate was ( NOT a fan of her at all, in any capacity. ) at least she was there to be the Doctor's friend not his love intrest.

Cythieus

:O I loved Donna! She was my favorite. It was like the Doctor had a kid sister.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 08, 2010, 08:59:52 AM
:O I loved Donna! She was my favorite. It was like the Doctor had a kid sister.

It was'nt the charcter of Donna that annoyed me, it was the actress Cathrine Tate, ANY othr actress would have been amazing.

Cythieus

I think given that she's pretty annoying in everything other than Doctor Who, she did a good job. I had never heard of her before Doctor Who.

GeekFury

Well yeah she was'nt doing her 'Face, bothered, bothered,face' wich was a fucking god send, but having her 'comedy' force fed here in the UK and parroted by every annoying 12-17 year old made me want to strange someone.

Cythieus

I think its more that you know her there and over here she was just a random actress. I know shes a comedian (saw the little bit with her and Tennant) but it seemed like a small thing to me after the season started and she just easily took command of that role for me. She also reminded me a lot of a friend of mine. Same personality oddly enough.

GeekFury

Well yeah, if I had never seen her in anything else and just in Doctor Who I'd probably have taken to her more and funny thing is, that series was probably my favourite, it at least had the most episode in it I enjoyed, even if last three episode of the third series in the new lot are my all time favourites from the new series'.

Cythieus

Midnight and Blink are my favorite episodes.

spiritdancer

The only thing I do not like about Blink is, how little the Doctor appears in the episode. However, I think the way in whcih they explain him talking to someone through a video is outstanding.
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

There always had to be one 'Doctorless' episode I find, liek the one with the Absorblemoth wich was designed by a kid in a competition, that episode sucked. Blink atleast had the Doctor in it more, plus it was nice to see that as good as the Doctor is he could be beat, as he was in Blink and in Midnight.

Cythieus

Doctor Lite episodes create an interesting dynamic in the show, I like them because they're a change of pace from the normal thing. Of course he could have devised other ways to get out of that situation. Stealing the TARDIS from an earlier version of himself and sending it back to be there right after he'd taken it...finding Jack from that time and fixing the watch to jump back...

elliedark

Hey, I like Rory's character a lot. He's just a normal guy who goes about being dragged through time and space by his fiancee, and his actor does a good job at portraying that. Not only that, but he's also there to break up the romance. The romance around Rose was good, and I liked it because in the end it did work out for everyone (including Mickey). Martha's was just annoying and yes Martha we get you like the Doctor but he doesn't want to get involved, but it's old. I loved Donna because she wasn't really incompetent, but willing to get hands on, and there was no romance plot. It was just two friends going about time. Amy had a small thing for the Doctor, but that was cleared up in Amy's Choice and that was the end of it.

Blink is my favorite episode with Tenant because it shows that he doesn't have to be in the episode for a good episode of Doctor Who. He saved the day without direct influence and shows that even sometimes he needs the help of others rather then the other way around.
Ellie's O/O

Cythieus

I don't know why people get think the romance thing is such a sin to do, the show went 30 something years with out it, they should at least explore it more than just in passing ways. I think it would be way more impacting if they went on with it instead of using the lame thing with Rory (who really seems like a lamer Mickey) to break it up.

And if Amy died in the end that would just be the end of the Doctor liking her and it would make for a way better plot that them showing us how much Amy likes the Doctor and then spending (wasting) episodes trying to invalidate what they just showed us.

elliedark

It's not a sin, it just needs to be done right. Frankly, Martha's was done poorly and was really repetitive, and Donna's lack of interest was refreshing in comparison. I really liked the romance between Rose and the Doctor and think they did a fantastic job when all was said and done. As for Rory, like I said I like him much better then Micky, who just seemed too... whiny. At least until he stayed in the other universe, then he became an action hero almost. I also like what happened at the end of The End of Time. Even Capt Jack got someone, and the Doctor got to see Rose again (heart wrenching scene really).
Ellie's O/O

Cythieus

I'm not really a huge fan of Rose.

spiritdancer

Well, I guess they did it right with Rose. :) I like her. Everyone I talked to either liked her or hated her. That is awesome! It's so much better thna her being dismissed as just "nah". Martha just seems pale compared to her, Donna or Amy.
Not that I disliked Martha, but maybe she was a bit too serious.
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

Quote from: elliedark on June 08, 2010, 08:54:02 PM
Hey, I like Rory's character a lot. He's just a normal guy who goes about being dragged through time and space by his fiancee, and his actor does a good job at portraying that. Not only that, but he's also there to break up the romance. The romance around Rose was good, and I liked it because in the end it did work out for everyone (including Mickey). Martha's was just annoying and yes Martha we get you like the Doctor but he doesn't want to get involved, but it's old. I loved Donna because she wasn't really incompetent, but willing to get hands on, and there was no romance plot. It was just two friends going about time. Amy had a small thing for the Doctor, but that was cleared up in Amy's Choice and that was the end of it.

Yeah at the end of Amy's Choice it was resolved, but straight after that the story ark goes to well, if you have'nt seen it I won't spoil it, Rory 'leaving' and giving Amy free range to persue the Doctor if she wishes, I hope at the end they bring Rory back if only to stop this Amy crushing on the Doctor and him not wanting it.

Then again I like Amy, red hair and the first time I found someone from my own country to have a sexy accent. I can see why the ladies love my scottish accent. :P

Stan'

It's nice that they actually kept her Scottish accent, rather than have her speak the bloody BBC's English.  It's a shame that David Tennant didn't do that.  After all, the 9th Doctor had a northern accent!  Would have been a refreshing change but ach well, he was good enough without it I guess.

Oh, and have you ever heard how amazingly fluent John Barrowman is when switching from an American accent to a Scottish one?  He can do it in the same sentence, it's the most strangest thing ever.

elliedark

Quote from: GeekFury on June 09, 2010, 03:57:07 AM
Yeah at the end of Amy's Choice it was resolved, but straight after that the story ark goes to well, if you have'nt seen it I won't spoil it, Rory 'leaving' and giving Amy free range to persue the Doctor if she wishes, I hope at the end they bring Rory back if only to stop this Amy crushing on the Doctor and him not wanting it.

Then again I like Amy, red hair and the first time I found someone from my own country to have a sexy accent. I can see why the ladies love my scottish accent. :P

If you notice though, it's still resolved. She just seems to think it's odd that the Doctor took her to places like Arcadia, which to me says there isn't anything going on anymore. Amy's Choice still happened, and whatever happened still resolved it. I'm really looking forward to see how everything comes together, especially the bit at the end of Cold Blood. I have my theories and hunches, but we'll see what happens.

I like Amy too, and yes I find myself liking her for other things too. ;)
Ellie's O/O

GeekFury

My theory is that when the Pandorical open the Doctor will probably try to sacrifice the TARDIS ( And save it now he knows whats coming. ) to undo what the cracks have done, bringing back Rory, the ducks in the pond, the memory of the Daleks and Daveros' attempt to destroy reality the Cyber King in victorian London and all that.

spiritdancer

the ducks in the pond!
I never thought about that of being of any significance. But yes, put like that it is!
Ons and Offs

TheGerbilyOne

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 10, 2010, 06:44:54 AM
the ducks in the pond!
I never thought about that of being of any significance. But yes, put like that it is!

You probably never noticed the 2nd Doctor in the Angels two parter either. They have been very sneaky in slipping in some things that will become important later on, or so I think.

Cythieus

I hope Rory stays dead, I am tried of these shows reviving people all the time.

And there's more than the ducks. There's the entire part when Amy's a child, the flash back they did to it at the end of the last two parter showed it completely different from how it happened, the two doctors I noticed, there's Amy and Rory from the future, which seems odd given we don't see them up close. There's the fact that Prisoner 0 was in jail, knew what the Doctor had done and the Pandorica and we don't know what he was in jail for...

There's a lot of stuff.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 10, 2010, 11:36:28 AM
there's Amy and Rory from the future, which seems odd given we don't see them up close.

Well when they saw Amy and Rory of the future Rory had'nt been erased from time, not just future and past but all of time and space, you know, wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

King_Furby

The latest episode with Vincent Van Gogh was amazing, great blend of what makes dr who great tv.

spiritdancer

Yes. Maybe it was filled with a little bit of kitsch and some scenes were over-the-top emotional. But that is just what I love.
Ons and Offs

Cythieus

Quote from: GeekFury on June 10, 2010, 04:41:25 PM
Well when they saw Amy and Rory of the future Rory had'nt been erased from time, not just future and past but all of time and space, you know, wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

My point is that they never showed them up close which seems suspicious.

spiritdancer

Could simply be a money issue. Aging someone ten years for no great benefit to a story, that might seem like a questionable balance on the money/effect scale.
Ons and Offs

Cythieus

I doubt it, there was something else going on there. It just seemed really odd, the whole situation actually did because of how he went about mentioning it.

elliedark

Anyone else notice the Doctor running around previous episodes?

Big theory: The Doctor is going back into the episodes that already happened to fix everything.

Two big examples: A) The 11th hour when young Amy is waiting for the Doctor and the camera shows her from the kitchen window, a shadowed figure runs by in front of the camera. First thing you think is it is prisoner 0, but the form is clearly human and later in the episode the Doctor explains it takes months to make the link to change shape ergo 0 could not be human. Being the nerdy girl I am, I looked at that scene over and over, and it looks like the Doctor. Check it out.

B) In Flesh and Stone, the angels grab the Doctor's jacket and he escapes by leaving it in their grasp. This jacket is a very brown jacket with elbow patches. Later when the he is telling amy to stay he runs off and presumably returns moments later. Here's what wrong with it. First, Amy asks why the crack is here and he's working on it, despite the fact that at that point, the crack was not an important factor.  Second, he tells Amy to try hard and remember what he told her when she was 7, which at the time really didn't have anything to do with what was going on, but could just be inspirational. However, looking at the events with Rory in Cold Blood, he says she has to remember Rory in the same manner.  Finally, he's wearing a jacket in that scene, AND a different watch. Now, people think this is a production goof, but besides that being a MAJOR over sight in production, here's the kicker: It's the same colored jacket he begins wearing after that point, which is an off olive green as opposed to a dirt brown. My friend and I just went over this and were shocked and excited. We have a feeling he may loose his goldband watch soon, because he still had it in the newest one with Van Gogh, which would pretty much prove this theory right.

Go back and take a look if you can, cause it's pretty amazing, which makes me thing Moffat is some kind of mastermind with time travel =P
Ellie's O/O

Cythieus

Quote from: elliedark on June 11, 2010, 09:02:33 AM
Anyone else notice the Doctor running around previous episodes?

Big theory: The Doctor is going back into the episodes that already happened to fix everything.

Two big examples: A) The 11th hour when young Amy is waiting for the Doctor and the camera shows her from the kitchen window, a shadowed figure runs by in front of the camera. First thing you think is it is prisoner 0, but the form is clearly human and later in the episode the Doctor explains it takes months to make the link to change shape ergo 0 could not be human. Being the nerdy girl I am, I looked at that scene over and over, and it looks like the Doctor. Check it out.

B) In Flesh and Stone, the angels grab the Doctor's jacket and he escapes by leaving it in their grasp. This jacket is a very brown jacket with elbow patches. Later when the he is telling amy to stay he runs off and presumably returns moments later. Here's what wrong with it. First, Amy asks why the crack is here and he's working on it, despite the fact that at that point, the crack was not an important factor.  Second, he tells Amy to try hard and remember what he told her when she was 7, which at the time really didn't have anything to do with what was going on, but could just be inspirational. However, looking at the events with Rory in Cold Blood, he says she has to remember Rory in the same manner.  Finally, he's wearing a jacket in that scene, AND a different watch. Now, people think this is a production goof, but besides that being a MAJOR over sight in production, here's the kicker: It's the same colored jacket he begins wearing after that point, which is an off olive green as opposed to a dirt brown. My friend and I just went over this and were shocked and excited. We have a feeling he may loose his goldband watch soon, because he still had it in the newest one with Van Gogh, which would pretty much prove this theory right.

Go back and take a look if you can, cause it's pretty amazing, which makes me thing Moffat is some kind of mastermind with time travel =P

This has actually been pointed out before, though its not just that. Events shown in flashbacks have been changing.

spiritdancer

oookay. You two just got me hooked. I'll take a good look next saturday. When ... well... I'll be watching more than just that episode on that saturday. I can never just stop myself. XD
Ons and Offs

Cythieus

I have been watching them all a lot and watching the old ones over. I actually watched all the first four seasons, plus two seasons of torchwood in two weeks.

This always seemed interesting to me:

An extra piece of dialogue on Bad Wolf Bay where the Doctor hands his clone a coral-like piece of the TARDIS, telling him to grow his own. When the clone Doctor protests that it takes thousands of years to grow a TARDIS, DoctorDonna provides him with a faster solution, so that Rose and the cloned Doctor can travel through space "as it should be". This was mentioned in The Doctor's Data section of the Doctor Who Adventures magazine, and in the 398th edition of Doctor Who Magazine, Russell T Davies states that it is perfectly fine to assume that this part of the scene did actually occur. The scene is included on the Series 4 DVD Box Set. (Also if you look closely the clone Doctor is still holding the coral piece in the actual episode.) An interesting note about this scene is that in it The Doctor says 'The Doctor. In the TARDIS. With Rose Tyler. As it should be'. This very closely resembles a line said at the end of Age of Steel by Mickey Smith "Thats the Doctor. In the Tardis. With Rose Tyler". Whether this is intentional or coincidental is unknown.

electrichigh

I think it is intentional, if you watch RTDs writing over the four seasons he likes to die things together like that. At the same time I guess its also a nice way of linking it all together even though the scene wasn't in the broadcast cut of the show.

Never the less the idea of the MetaDoctor and Rose travelling around in the parallel world I do like, but at the same time I like how the scene wasn't broadcast. I would have given too much of a loop hole for them to keep coming back and as much as everyone loved rose. Right now I do not want her to show her face again. I mean she was a great character but her story line is done and done and done. Plus she took attention away from the awesome that is DoctorDonna.

Cythieus

My prediction for the end of the season was actually right, I saw the next episode preview and was so happy.

electrichigh

The one great thing about Doctor Who. The little things in the ep could be huge later on. Not to mention just how the stories lines all tie together. Though I'm away on holiday for a week and a half starting Wednesday *cries* I wont be able to see the last two eps until I get back.

Thought it was awesome though how the base code of the universe is the day the last ep airs.

Cythieus

Quote from: electrichigh on June 13, 2010, 06:55:48 AM
The one great thing about Doctor Who. The little things in the ep could be huge later on. Not to mention just how the stories lines all tie together. Though I'm away on holiday for a week and a half starting Wednesday *cries* I wont be able to see the last two eps until I get back.

Thought it was awesome though how the base code of the universe is the day the last ep airs.

It wasn't a base code, you're thinking of the thing from earlier that Jack taught Martha. It was a time and date that the cracks originated, which is the day of Amy's wedding in the show and the day the last episode airs. I kind of took note of it when it happened and was like that's cool. It's been a good year for TV for me.

electrichigh

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 13, 2010, 07:12:43 AM
It wasn't a base code, you're thinking of the thing from earlier that Jack taught Martha. It was a time and date that the cracks originated, which is the day of Amy's wedding in the show and the day the last episode airs. I kind of took note of it when it happened and was like that's cool. It's been a good year for TV for me.
I'm sure River Song called it the base code of the universe. Mind you I'm usually too busy fangirling over the show I have to watch it a few times to pick up all the subtle details.

Random fact for you, its also the day I'm seeing my favourate band ever in Paris therefore unable to watch the show. I'm going to have to avoid this thread when I get back until I catch up. I'm trying really hard not to spoil myself this time around for the final eps, because oh my god they just look AWESOME.

GeekFury

Taking ideas who or what is in the Pandorica, my money is on The Master or The Black Guardian.

Cythieus

Quote from: electrichigh on June 13, 2010, 07:28:14 AM
I'm sure River Song called it the base code of the universe. Mind you I'm usually too busy fangirling over the show I have to watch it a few times to pick up all the subtle details.

Random fact for you, its also the day I'm seeing my favourate band ever in Paris therefore unable to watch the show. I'm going to have to avoid this thread when I get back until I catch up. I'm trying really hard not to spoil myself this time around for the final eps, because oh my god they just look AWESOME.

What band?

Quote from: GeekFury on June 13, 2010, 07:30:10 AM
Taking ideas who or what is in the Pandorica, my money is on The Master or The Black Guardian.

I don't think its the master, but I thought Omega, no idea who that Black Guardian is. I'm just glad its not the Goddamn Cybermen like someone said. I'm so tired of those bumbling fools. I don't know why Star Trek ripped the Borg off of them, they're just as lame.

electrichigh

Quote from: GeekFury on June 13, 2010, 07:30:10 AM
I kinda dont want it to be The Master he was in it recently, come on some new monsters people! Though if I had to bet anything I'm willing to bet the Pandorica is the key to the Time Lock on the Time War

I'm going to see Green Day Azriel....eh five times in ten days XD

Cythieus

Ah I haven't heard Green Day in a long long while, used to listen to them all the time.

GeekFury

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 13, 2010, 07:32:05 AM

no idea who that Black Guardian is.

The Black Guardian is one of the Guardians of Time, theres six they appeared in the older series as 'The-Six-Fold-God' and belonged in a regieon of uncharted and semi-mystical space, though Omega is a good one too.

Cythieus

I've only seen bits of the old show. I saw the old Siruleans and we tried to watch Cybermen but we laughed too much.

spiritdancer

I have to admit, after seeing the teaser after this week's episode, I had to stop my heart from racing. I think this finale will be one hell of a ride!
Ons and Offs

Caela

I keep reading this thread and it's one long tease! I love you guys saying the finale is coming soon for you because that means I'm that much closer to being able to get them from netflix and watch them myself!

spiritdancer

Maybe we should open a second thread for all out spoilers and things like that. I am holding back because of people like you, who are still going to enjoy the fun :D
Ons and Offs

Stan'

Considering the finale is fast approaching, it's a good idea.

Caela

Spiritdancer, don't hold back! I (and anyone else like me who hasn't seen ep's yet) know there will be spoilers, if we don't want to see them we are perfectly capable of simply not reading the thread. I like the teasers I get! Just makes me all the more eager to see the episodes when they get their butts over here onto dvd lol.

spiritdancer

The discussion is on:
Who or what is the most feared being in all the universe?

.... Could it be ... The Doctor?
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

Probably he did end The Last Great Time War wich was mass genocide for Daleks, Time Lords and infact a billion other higher species, but maybe one of The Panthion of Discord, a Trickster like in Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures.

spiritdancer

Well.

Have you seen it already?

What are your survival strategies for the next week?
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

latest episode was really neat, but i'm disapointed. the idea of daleks even being in an alience is stupid.

GeekFury

Quote from: King_Furby on June 20, 2010, 02:48:37 AM
latest episode was really neat, but i'm disapointed. the idea of daleks even being in an alience is stupid.

Well I think the prospect of the universe ending would be enough to drive the Daleks to make the choice of 'be alone in trying to defeat the Doctor or work with others', I was more concerned with the the Judoon as they're just intergalatic time and space policemen, wich means even The Shadow Proclimation wants the Doctor sealed up.

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 20, 2010, 02:17:15 AM
Well.

Have you seen it already?

What are your survival strategies for the next week?

I'm thinking it's all up to Amy Pound in the past or it's going to be one of these dues ex machina where the Doctor goes 'god-like' like was seen in the end of the third series where he got more power from 'peoples physcic prayers' and if it's something like that then I quit, thats just abit to hocus pocus for me in a series where magic is always put down to science.

King_Furby

this whole season's final storyline doesn't feel like dr who at all. yea he killed all those races to end the time war, but the doc is still basically good. of course maybe the daleks are just part of the allience cause none of the other races can beat them. NOTHING COOL CAME OUT OF THE BOX...GRRR

GeekFury

Nothing cool may have came out of it, but whos the one that sent the TARDIS to go boom? It was'nt River Songs fault something was control it, the eary voice that said 'Silence will fall.' gotta be something big!

King_Furby

yea i doubt it ends with tardis going boom.

GeekFury

Well it's already gone boom, at teh end of the last episode you saw all the stars in the universe go nova, but I think it'll all be worked out, I mean they already have the actress that plays Amy and Matt Smith signed for another series.

spiritdancer

The question is not: Are they gonna fix it somehow?
The question is: HOW are they gonna fix this?

It all looks pretty screwed right now. But for the Pandorica holding the Doctor? That was kinda obvious, wasn't it? I mean the "most feared" being in the universe? That should have been a dead giveaway.
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

Aye, after Davros named him 'The Destroyer of Worlds!', though that seemed the most obvious, as for whos doing this my moneys on The Black Guardian still I think The White Guardian will appear to help sort this out or the others of The-Six-Fold-Gold.

spiritdancer

and how are chances that Davros is involved here?
A friend of mine said that the voice in the Tardis saying "Silence will fall" sounds an awful lot like Davros.
Ideas?

I'd think if the solution is, as you present it, that would not be an ideal solution. It feels a lot like "Now we've gotten into something and we don't know how to get out anymore. Oh, elt's introduce something that has played no role whatsoever in this series!"
Ons and Offs

GeekFury

Saounds abit like Davros, but if you look at it, all the old enemys that were in the old series, Salurians, Daleks, Cybermen, Macra ( REALLY old ), The Master, Sontarens, Davros and so on it seems right to bring back either The-Six-Fold-God who had a rather big part in the old series' up to bringing 3 incarnations of the Doctor into one place, or even Omega as was stated before. As for Davros, I'm pretty sure when the Crucible exploded in the Medusa Cascade that ended him.

Another theory I've had is maybe something escaped the Time War after The End of Time, like The Nightmare Child or one of the other attrocities from then, or maybe even whatever is in the Void as over and over it's been said 'There is something waiting in the darkness' and as the Void is also called The Howling maybe thats what the silence will fall means, the Voic will break through, would explain the Cybermen there, they are from another dimention the Cybus Cybermen.

King_Furby

could it be the devil? like what if the devil (season 2) somehow escaped the blackhole. darkness was it's thing, and it was older then time, as it said.

GeekFury

Thats a possiblity, there are whole races of 'Beasts' called The Old Ones ( Yes they were ment as a refrance to Lovecraft. ) so could be one of them and that would be harking right back to old days as the only Old One so far was the Nesting Contiousness but thats in the Alliance.

GeekFury

Sorryto double post but, OH COME ON! FUCKING COCKTEASE! TELL ME WHO THE VOICE WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King_Furby

omg episode SUCKED now we got to wait till x-mas.

spiritdancer

aaah!! It's over! Moffat is such a genius :D I LOVE this last episode!

Thought the two-part story started out a bit weak with the Doctor being drawn in. I still think the impression of all of it would have been a lot more intense if the Pandorica as indeed a legend come true and not something ... well ... something like it is.

But that said, the way it was resolved and especially the way it was told what was resolved was great.

and yes. The Fez IS cool! Bow ties and fez!
Ons and Offs

King_Furby

at least we got to see the doc do his dance lol. and i did like the dalek.

spiritdancer

Oh my god. I am crying WITH Amy, when they tell the tale of the Lone Centurion.
Ons and Offs