German Translation Help for Knitting Pattern

Started by Caeli, September 11, 2014, 09:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Hello Elliquiy!

I recently took up knitting as my latest project and found a project I'd like to make for my SO, who is an amateur chess player. Unfortunately the pattern is in German, so I was hoping someone could help translate this!

Google Translate does manage the general gist, but I think the specific yarn/fiber arts terminology is a bit confused.

Alternatively, an accomplished knitter may be able to interpret Google's attempt more accurately.

http://www.stricksucht.de/anleitungen/schach.php
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Beguile's Mistress

I'm a knitter and used Google to translate the directions section into English.  If you can learn how to change colors or get help learning that I could probably work out the pattern from the translation with a bit of time.  Someone who knows German would do a better job but I'll be glad to work on it if you get stuck for help. 

Oniya

Quote from: Caeli on September 11, 2014, 09:03:47 PM
Hello Elliquiy!

I recently took up knitting as my latest project and found a project I'd like to make for my SO, who is an amateur chess player. Unfortunately the pattern is in German, so I was hoping someone could help translate this!

Google Translate does manage the general gist, but I think the specific yarn/fiber arts terminology is a bit confused.

Alternatively, an accomplished knitter may be able to interpret Google's attempt more accurately.

http://www.stricksucht.de/anleitungen/schach.php

I knit and remember quite a bit of my college German.  I'll take a crack at it too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

Yeah, I think part of the problem is that I'm definitely very new to the language and to knitting terminology, so I'm not sure which parts are translated correctly and which are not.  I'd definitely be grateful if you could give an assist with the instructions and the required materials.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

The background pattern uses something called a 'plaited' or 'twisted' stitch.  You wrap the yarn as if to purl, but knit it instead.

Row one: Knit one, then wrap yarn as if to purl and knit into the next stitch.  Repeat across.
Row two: Purl in the stitches that you knit in the last row, knit in the others.

It should produce a subtle ribbed pattern.  You may want to do a practice swatch  (maybe 10 rows of 20 stitches each) before casting on the whole lot of 60 stitches

The knight and the rook are done in stockinette stitch, with the smooth side to the front.  (M re and M li are knit and purl respectively.)  The color changes are a technique called 'Intarsia' - video tutorial below.  You'll want to use a second ball of your background color for the parts where the background splits around the figures, rather than carrying it across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK07PBQMTE8

The Häkelnadel is a crochet hook, and it looks like it's only used for the fringe.  I think the Stopfnadel would be a regular yarn needle for weaving in the ends.  It's not a specific knitting needle.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Caeli

If this is sixty stitches, would I be using circular needles for this project, or do you think this would fit on 14" straight needles?  Do you know what the recommended length would be?  Most descriptions I've seen refer to "large" and "medium-sized" projects.  I'm pretty sure this isn't what one might consider a "large" project, but I'm not entirely sure what a medium-sized project would entail.

Thank you for helping translate/interpret that, Oniya :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

This is the yarn that they were recommending.  Based on the gauge (24 st/ 4 in), it should fit on a 14-inch needle.  When you buy your yarn, look for the gauge indicator on the label - it looks like it's about a '2' (sock yarn is '1', Caron's 'pound of yarn' is '4').  If your store stocks Lion Brand, you can look at the Vanna's Glamour skeins for a rough idea of the yarn thickness.

As for the length of the scarf, the distance between the top of the knight and the start of the rook pattern is 150 cm.

Beguile's Mistress

Keep an eye on the age of your pattern when judging gauges.  Over the last few years the industry has begun using the 1 through 4 and up for thickness/application of yarn.  Prior to that they used a "weight" designation such as fine, sport, worsted, bulky.  Go by the recommended needle/hook sizes and swatch designations to find the right gauge and needle size for you.

Oniya

That's why I looked at some of my skeins when I saw the gauge.  Sock yarn usually gets about 32 st/4 in.  Sweater yarn (4) gets 16.  The skein of Vanna's Glamour I have is 24.

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Beguile's Mistress

You're welcome.  It's always great when a new knitter or crocheter joins the fold. ;D

Oniya

It felt good to knock some of the rust off.  :-)

Beguile's Mistress

*nods*  Made me feel like pulling my Tree of Life afghan out again. ;D

Noisekick

If you still need that translation, I am currently a freelance translator for German to English and vice versa in real life.