A World of Darkness Epic! - The Dark Tower

Started by Lycan Queen, September 28, 2009, 08:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lycan Queen

WARNING: This is an advanced roleplay. What I mean by the term "advanced" is not of post length, quality, or frequency. I mean that I am looking for a very specific kind of roleplayer. I have tried group roleplays in the past, and none of them have worked out because there was not the right kind of people involved.

I am not looking for players, nor am I looking for Player Characters. I am not a Storyteller, Game Master, or Dungeon Master. I am a creator, and I am looking for co-creators. I want the following qualities in people looking to join this game:

1) Readers: Nothing bugs me more than pouring my heart and soul into a story, only to have people ignore or skim through my hard work. If you think that reading is a chore, look elsewhere. I won't be making super large posts, but I am setting up the world itself, and would like people to know what kind of situation they are getting into. Please don't ignore or skip over anything anyone else posts.

2) Innovators: I've worked with many group roleplays in the past, and all of them have fallen apart for this reason. I just create the world, people! I don't want to run things with an iron clad fist. Make suggestions, create plots and subplots, work together! Don't be shy, state your opinion and be willing to work together as a team of creators, a team of writers.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, on to the roleplay itself!

I am looking to do a World of Darkness version of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. While some themes will be recurring from the books, I will not just copypaste the plot. Instead, I'm looking at exploring the ideas of alternate universes, and an epic story crossing through them all to decide the fate of everything.

Zeon Twilight and I came up with this idea, and such, he gets to play the Roland-esque gunslinger character who gets the whole thing started.

This story will be crossing over between new and old world, looking at the two versions as different dimensions. It will also jump around locationally and time wise, as there are SO many ideas linking together. You are encouraged to create multiple characters. You are very encouraged to create sub-plots and to contribute your ideas to the main plot. We'll also be jumping around different versions of each old and new world, looking at everything from post-apocalypse to the beginning of man.

While a main plot is still in the works, I thought I'd put this up to see if I could get anyone's interest. I have the giant warning up to say that I am getting to be very picky about who I want involved in group roleplays, since all of my epic ideas keep falling apart when I have them open to the public. 2, 3 slots are open at most.

If you do not have any idea of either the old or new world, than I will be more than happy to teach anything you'd like to know. As for system, we can create character sheets, but I hope the stats onto themselves won't be that important, and will only really be used when we can't agree on what way to go plot wise.

Oh, and a few last notes:

1) Power level of characters: I'd like characters to be starting a little above beginner, but not ridiculously powerful right off the bat. This will be an epic, but there's no point if it devolves into DBZ syndrome, with me making more powerful enemies to match your uber powerful characters.

2) Posting frequency: For me, will be all over the place. I work, and I am a full time college student. Along with all this, I finally have a social life after not having one for all of high school, so I will be very distracted. I will try to get in a post at least once a week, usually during the weekends after work, but no guarantees. I'll at least try to keep you guys updated when a post comes in.

3) Starting Character types: While I want to be open, I think the following types are reserved for villains, since they'd be hard to put on the "good guys" side: Nephandi, fomori, hunters (old and new) and anything relating to Pentex. The Technocracy and Marauders are maybes, but it'd be extremely hard. As for the hengeyokai and kue-jinn, I don't think they'd work power wise, since they seem to be a lot more powerful and I haven't finished reading the books.

Remember the face of your father. There are other worlds than these.

Downfall347

My god I think I just had a joy aneurism. I have been a massive fan of both the Dark Tower and World of Darkness books for years. I would be greatly interested in joining this RP. I have a vast working knowledge of both the Dark Tower universe and nearly all New World of Darkness games.

Now, heres a question I have. How will you treat places in the world of darkness that ALREADY exist on another plane of reality. Such as Arcadia, The Hedge, The Aether, The Shadow, The Underworld, ect, ect. Will these locations be present and accessible in the other worlds, or are they restricted to the world of darkness settings.

Senti

Well you have peaked my interest as you know.

Lycan Queen

Well, it pleases me to bring someone a much needed joy aneurism. I have a player who's an old world master, and I'd love to have a new world master to add to the mix, since we'll be bouncing back and forth between them.

I'm still thinking about which board to put it under, but an OOC thread will be up soon.

As for your question: I'm still thinking on that, but here's what I got so far. In Old World, the spirit world was known as the Umbra. It was infinite and layered, and it was said that the various other spirit places (like Arcadia in Old Changelings) were different parts of the Umbra. Such would be the same explanation for the new world spirit places, and while travel between the areas while in the Umbra could happen, something like that would be possible only for the strongest spirits and characters.

Also, through the Deep Umbra is how our main characters would travel between dimensions.... Again, it's a work in progress.... But welcome to the team!

Downfall347

Glad to be of help ^^

Okay, now, are any races restricted. I have no idea what races existed in old world. New world is comprised of Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, Mage: The Awakening, Changeling: The Lost, Promethean: The Created, Hunter: The Vigil, Geist: The Sin Eaters, and psychic humans out of the Second Sight book. Are any of these restricted? I ask only because most people like to hate on Promethean and Geist just came out a month ago.

Lycan Queen

Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, and Changeling are all good. I have all the books, and I've read through all of Requiem and Lost, a bit of Foresaken, and virtually none of Awakening. I tried, but the introduction itself loses me. Nevertheless, I will try to read it for the sake of understanding, even if I prefer old world with all of the above (except for the Lost. New Changeling FTW!)

Promethean...Why hate it on? I think it's a fascinating concept, and resonates a little with the Changelings, but on a more personally tragic level. My only worry is that Promethean is a lot more powerful combat and power wise. I'm not sure it'll blend in well with the other characters. That, and the Promethean's penalties for staying in one place too long might be both problematic and interesting.

As for Hunter...I dunno. I don't like the very concept of Hunter, in both old world and new. With a story such as this, I'm not sure a Hunter could fit into the party very well, as their very nature demands that they try to kill the other players. If you could make a case for why they should be allowed, or have a character who could fit in with the rest of the group, go for it.

@Senti, while I have all 3 slots filled now, I'd like to have another chica in the group, so you're the absolutely last person I'm letting in. Throw around some ideas for characters and we can get this train wreck under way!

I'll also be sending everyone a PM to say what board we'll be under, and an OOC thread will be up shortly. Please, send me ideas for what you want to see in the main plot ASAP!

Downfall347

Alright, sounds good to me. Also, what of Geist. Personally I think Sin Eaters would be an interesting mix in the multi world your setting up. Also, even if Prometheans are not available as player characters, I could easily see a world or two leaving the party encountering one of them. I mean, think about it. Here we would have something that is literally killing the earth by it's very presence, but... its not doing anything wrong. The moral balance the party sits on would begin to tip one way or another pretty quick, and I could see some good conflict coming from it. Especially if we have a werewolf (old or New) with their interest in protecting the earth.

Crovonovin

Just posting in here to keep track of events and say hello to all the other participants!

Lycan Queen

That's an excellent thought for Promethean, and could be quite an interesting plotline. Geist and Sin Eaters....I'm not too sure about them, as I haven't read them, and they're the only books I don't have. Could you give me a too long, didn't read of the books?

The OOC thread will be up tomorrow, and a PM will be sent out to everyone to give you the link. This epic shall begin soon!!!

Downfall347

I may be slow on the internet jargon, what is a too long?

THe only book out so far is the core. Geist is the game of second chances. The premise is that you were someone who to put it simply, died. But, in the moment of your death, you were approached by a Geist, a spirit that was a raw manifestation of an aspect of death, be it Violence, Silence, Sorrow, ect. They offered you a deal, a second chance at life, but only a half lived one. Most people jump at this, and the Geist saves them, turning them into the 'miraculous' survivor. You are now a Sin Eater, a person bound body and soul to a Geist. Its a game about balancing the life you almost lost, and the world of the dead. Putting spirits to rest, keeping peace between the dead and the living, ect, ect. Of course some Sin Eaters refuse their responsibilities, taking other roles with their new found life. Sin Eaters are much less organized, there is no politics system outside the Krewes, loose knit ganges of friends and allies.

Sin Eaters are always under attack from their Geist, as their Geist is a raw manifestation of death, they seek by their nature to act out, or more so, force the sin eater to act out on this. A violence Geist may whisper murder plots to you as you pass people on the street, the silence Geist may demand you silence the shreiking baby in the movie theater forever. Only the weakest or most deranged of the Sin Eaters give in, but it does happen often enough to be a concern.

Sin Eaters Identify themselves by their thresh hold, or rather, the type of death that taints them. Death by violence are known as the torn, death by nature are known as the prey, death by deprivation are known as the silent, death by fate are the forgotten, and one other I cant remember off the top of my head.

Geists powers draw off deathly energy they store inside themselves, called Plasm. All their abilities are called manifestations, which are drawn from the land of death. To access these abilities the sin eaters 'possess' keys inside themselves, which unlock the door between the living and the dead. There are in fact only 7 manifestation, however, depending on which key you use to unlock it, the manifestation will have greatly differant effects. For example, if I uyse the Pyre Flame Key to unlock the shroud manifestation, I am wrapped in ghost flames that burn all who touch me (at level 3), where as with the Stillness Key I unlock the same manifestation, and instead I turn perfectly invisible (also at level 3)

Sin eaters can also travel to the underworld, and navigate its twisted landscape and laws.

Sin Eaters also posses mementos, items tainted by deathly energy. Each Sin eater posses at least one, the memento created when THEY died, however more can be found. These offer small boosts to skills in the most simple cases, or in the case of Memorabilia, the most valued type of memento, they can offer new abilities, or even new keys beyond the two key limit.

(Thats a quick crash course in Geist in case you were interested)

Senti

Well I am looking at playing a coyote. I will send my character to you today.

Lycan Queen

What you did right there is the too long, didn't read. It basically means summarize it for me. Thank you, that sounds like a very interesting idea, and could make for some awesome characters. OOC thread will be up TODAY!!! *works frantically*