Mental Asylum Interest Check (All Welcome)

Started by AndyZ, September 23, 2014, 06:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

From time to time, a mental asylum game is started up on Elliquiy, and much fun is had.  I intend to start up another, though I haven't figured out the exact specifics yet.  I would imagine that other people interested might like to chime in a little bit more about the setting.

What I intend to do to make this game a little different is to have the administration be a little more experimental.  However, the players of the patient characters will ultimately decide what those experiments are.

(To clarify, I use "player" to denote a nonfictional human, in this case a member of Elliquiy, while "character" denotes a fictional human who would exist in this asylum.)

In a scientific experiment, you can very well have two people put through separate tasks.  Two people go about their day, one person is given a particular stimulus and one is not.  Comparisons are made regarding the two.  However, a perfect contrast need not apply to every situation, so don't worry if we don't have a character who provides a "control" to your own.

As an example, a player of whatever walk of life might want to play a transfemale character who is treated as entirely female by the staff, given female clothing, called by feminine pronouns, and so on.  The player would make notes in the character sheet to this regard, and asylum staff would be given corresponding orders.  Later on, another player entirely might want to have another transfemale character but who is treated the exact opposite: forced to wear male clothing, called by male pronouns, and so on.  The IC excuse would be to do some scientific testing while giving the players a chance to play as they choose and decide how they want their characters to be played.  Simiarly, a player might want to play a gay man who is raped by a nurse, and if the player ends up uncomfortable, the player can change the administrative orders.  (The nurse can get called away as soon as the player of the patient decides it's not working for him/her.)

I don't intend to actually make characters for the administration, unless staff players would prefer it.  It's also worth noting that the administration knows that many staff cross professional boundaries with patients, but will cover up any evidence so long as the experiments are preserved.

If you're interested, please feel free to give some ideas on what you might want to play, any preferences regarding the setting, and so on.  I'm toying with the idea that the administration has decided that the nurses all have to wear the stereotypical uniforms because they seem to put patients further at ease, and/or that an experimental form of aphrodisiac has been created but that requires specific administrative acceptance in order to use, but neither is set in stone.

Edit: To clarify, the various issues don't have to be gender and sexuality.  For example, I'm personally toying with the idea of a character who's being deprived of medication and simply bombarded with physical and emotional encouragement by staff to see if she really can be made to "get over it."
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Edgar

It would be intriguing to me to put my disturbed character Edgar back in the context of a psych ward. In his back-story he was there as a child and youth. I' aware that the site probably doesn't allow such interaction with underage characters, so I don't mind adapting it to adult context.

My own interest for it is based on the study of human psychology.

If you'd like to know more about Edgar, here's an informative link:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=214083.0
Oderint dum metuant (Let them hate me, as long as they fear me).

AndyZ

Certainly a sociopath with ADD and possibly Asperger's could work, but an MMA-parkour assassin wouldn't work as a patient.  Were you planning on using the baseline idea and just saying that he's spent his entire life in various asylums?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Edgar

Since my post, I saw that there is some Harry Potter based RPs on this forum; so I assume it means that we can RP a teenager?

If so, my character could be in his early teens, therefore perhaps he had been learning some parkour and a bit of fighting in the streets before being locked up because of behavioral problems reported by his school? No, he definitely wouldn't have spent all his life locked in. I imagine him freshly arrived and rebellious, if that fits in.

AndyZ

The site rules have the cutoff at 16, though many people prefer to stick to 18 or higher.

Depending on just how aggressive he is, the staff may want to keep him restrained, but I could see that working.

Edgar

16 sounds good. And my RP of him is not just about aggressiveness, it would involve deeper psychological behavior and patterns. Is it too much if what you've got in mind is more toward basic restraints and the like?

AndyZ

Sadly doesn't seem to be much interest for this.