What am I doing wrong with my tea?

Started by Faustus, January 25, 2014, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mayerling

Also, use drinking water or spring water to make your tea. Distilled water is unhealthy to drink, and filtering your well water will likely not solve your problem.

Faustus

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on January 28, 2014, 12:22:49 PM
Also, use drinking water or spring water to make your tea. Distilled water is unhealthy to drink, and filtering your well water will likely not solve your problem.
Depending on what is being cited as unhealthy, some of the distilled water things are myths. . . But no, I don't want to use it for prolonged exposure.

I will be conducting a couple of science experiments involving different teas, water and mineral deposits in the future, though, to see which water method is going to work best for me. :-) My preference would be on the filter method working, if only because I love my well-water and just wish it would work for my tea. .

Barring that, I can go the ridiculously cheap method and take jugs of water to my friend's house to steal. . .

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Caeli

It's all in the name of good tea!

(I did create a thread for tea lovers that went defunct. ;) Maybe we can revive this one or start a new Tea Lovers' Club?)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Jag

If I ever have the time and energy again, I shall write for my tea blog again. Maybe this spring.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Jagerin on January 28, 2014, 12:55:35 PM
If I ever have the time and energy again, I shall write for my tea blog again. Maybe this spring.
I had one off-site that I'd like to get back to sometime as well.

We definitely need a tea club.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Caeli on January 28, 2014, 12:57:21 PM
LET'S DO IT. :o
Tea Lovers Anonymous ('cause I need another addiction to obsessively discuss)? Where do we put this? >_>
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Faustus

Quote from: Jagerin on January 28, 2014, 12:55:35 PM
I saw your old one, Jagerin! Made me want to try some of those as well. :-)

But yes, I fourth(?) the movement for a tea club!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Psi

Reading this thread for the first time I was so tempted to say the first problem with your tea is throwing it overboard........ :p

Maybe I should be ducking right about now...

even with bagged tea, taste is subjective.   I know that at times some of the teabags I have steep only for a minute, others will steep as long as there is water in the cup, getting progressively stronger.

the water used is as found, one possible cause, and I would guess the chemicals in the water (obviously not salt) are the cause, but others might be length of time and temperature.

Just like coffee is meant to be 80 deg, some people can't tell, others can.   Tea, to me is more a time factor - and when its less processed / natural, the time spent steeping is a larger factor.    One of my friends uses a range of natural teas, and even after 5 mins, the difference between the first cup (half a shot glass) to the last cup after 20-30 mins is remarkable.

Oniya

Quote from: Psi on January 30, 2014, 06:00:25 AM
Reading this thread for the first time I was so tempted to say the first problem with your tea is throwing it overboard........ :p

Maybe I should be ducking right about now...

Nah - I made that joke over in the 'Tea Lovers Anonymous' thread.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Psi

lol, good to know im not the only one thinking it :p