2009 Full Metal Alchemist [Spoilers Ahead]

Started by Zero, April 05, 2009, 06:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Well, this will be my short little blogspace on the New, FullMetal Alchemist now released in 2009! If you don't want spoilers to the NEW one, please do not read ahead.

First thing's first, I was very surprised that they had announced FMA 2009. Although its true the first one did not do justice to the Manga in the 2nd half of the season (more like 2/3 but whatever), I didn't think they'd do another on the sheer fact that the first couple of episodes would most likely be the same (Edward meeting Rose, Edward freeing the mining town, Scar, etc.)

However, it seems they've addressed this problem by simply saying, well shit... You know this already! We're going to flood this episode with characters since it's episode 1, and then pretend you already know mostly about them, if not just wiki it. Even obscure characters whom have had their fair share in the 1st FMA get a little nod at them, E.G. Kimbly.

Also, such a crappy enemy becoming so powerful? Not terribly good, getting beaten the crap out of after he pretty much turns the whole city into ice? Just silly. To be honest, this is a huge friggin' tribute to Rurouni Kenshin, something I will mention again soon. Although some assumptions are good to continue to have, this Anime should be kept at arms length from both the Manga and the old Anime. Some revelations may not be so, and others you might just go, 'Saw that coming'.

Great artwork, as expected from the BONES crew most recently known for their work on the hit Soul Eater which recently reached its final episode. (They left this mostly open, so I'm hoping that they actually give this a second season as well ^^, one can hope yes?)

Although explanations are lacking and it looked like instead of a recap episode they decided to just throw as much into an action episode as they can, I expect to see episodes soon once again reflect upon Alechmy, and the past of the Elric brothers (As pictured in the Intro... which features among other things, a lot of the Elric's Dad as well as their mother. The intro and Ending reminds me of the Rurouni Kenshin, soft and non-battle like while the anime itself was fast-paced and actionpacked. I expect this season to be darker (like the Manga) and look further to episodes of the Elric's brother's past, and a more flushed out back story.

Next episode Prevew: Recap of the opening of the gate after transmutation of their mother, and how Edward got his Alchemy License.

-Zero, your Anime Source out.
*New Update.* A&A Updated 7/30/18

Hattorifaith

I too was surprised by the quality and the distinctiveness of the second series. It's a 'reboot', and it happens a lot. Hellsing and Evangelion did it, as well.
Liore will be showing up, just a little later than you thought. Rather than it being in the first ep, it'll be the third, which helps the flow a great deal. Here's hoping they don't catch up with the manga again!
Ons and Offs

Please tell me if I've done something wrong!

Mathim

I don't get it (I read about 10 volumes of the manga then stopped and never watched the anime). Do you mean that, they finished the series and now they're re-making it with more differences than just making the animation look sharper like they did with the Star Wars Special Editions? I'm just curious because I was really disappointed that there weren't more alchemists in it despite that being in the title of the series so I wondered if that might have been something they could potentially do with this 'reboot'.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Jeramiahh

Well, the original anime diverted from the manga immensely, not far into the series; the manga is still ongoing, and the entirety of the second half of the original anime didn't happen there. So, the reboot's going to stick much closer to the canon material, since it's had more time to develop, now, as well as being a higher quality, better animated update.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Doomsday

YES!

I loved FMA, and I look forward for the English dubbed series.

Is it out? (The engdub, that is.) Is it available on the interwebs? :)

Jeramiahh

It's definitely NOT dubbed; it just started airing a couple weeks ago in Japan. However, you can check it out on the Funimation site, subbed... it's quite good, even if you saw the original.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=1832
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Xillen

:o

Awesomeness!

* Xillen still reads the manga.

Ordell

Well, I started watching it and apparently they're calling it Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the first three episodes have been subbed by Darksoul and they normally do good work.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on April 18, 2009, 06:52:02 PM
It's definitely NOT dubbed; it just started airing a couple weeks ago in Japan. However, you can check it out on the Funimation site, subbed... it's quite good, even if you saw the original.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=1832

I have nothing against funimation at all, but I saw both and just liked the subbing on the Darksoul subs better.  That and I love the fact that I can keep it and make AMVs with it if I wanted to haha.  DS is also a little ahead, since I just checked and they still haven't released 3.  If you want to torrent it, check it out here at Darksoul Fansubs

Jeramiahh

True, but FUNimation's the official channel, and doesn't fall into the legally gray area of fansubbing; this is legal, and not shabby.

Xillen

Haven't checked yet, but ain't FUNimation usually blocking non-US residents?

Zero

FUNanimation ruins the FUN [no pun please.] for everyone [ no rhymes either.] They are absolutely disrespectful to the fansubbing community, and while I do understand as a standpoint of a company, do not want to see their licensed material continue to get subbed, do not have to do the childish things that they sometimes continue to do. [Will Cite information if needed.]

That said, they are currently breezing through the first couple of episodes of the original FMA, providing of course, the good 'ol BONES charm to them while giving it a darker look. Sorry, I was sick this last week and was unable to give my full preview/blog.

Would anyone be interested in me actually putting something up on the Elliwiki on FanSubbing/SpeedSubbing or just random Anime information that I stumble upon quite frequently?

Currently I'm also a good source for .ass (Subtitle files, although currently only hosting UNLICENSED anime) as I do get frequent Cease and Desists x__x. It seems we have a pretty good Anime crowd here, so it's not like my Terrabytes of Anime should go to waste xD.
*New Update.* A&A Updated 7/30/18

Xillen

Of course they're against fansubbing. Fansubs cost them money.