Dying for a GM for a dwarven pathfinder game.

Started by Blinkin, February 17, 2013, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Not quite I can make an item masterwork or not in half the gp cost time so if the sword is 315 gp and masterwork she counts it as a 157.5 gp item. But regular weapons are a lot easier and faster. I didn't take blacksmithing though that is beneaths my characters interest so they need someone to make nails and the pots and pans. :D

Teo Torriatte

Hildegard is more of a jeweler who happens to have the magical talent to make some of her work magical. It is still pretty expensive to do so, so I imagine she still takes pride in her non magical jewelry as well and focuses just as much on that aspect of her crafting.  She just wants people to look pretty.  :-)

Blinkin

Hey! Without blacksmiths, the dwarven world wouldn't exist... someone has to make those nails, hinges, plows, anvils, shovels, pitchforks, yokes, wagon wheels, metal parts for bits and bridles and saddles, pots, pans, mugs and plates that all you big muckimucks need for day to day life... In some cultures, it's the blacksmith that was the focus of a community. ;)

I've always figured that smiths were a dime a dozen in dwarven communities, but as the description suggested that there wasn't a lot of trade outside of the city, that gave me the idea that trade goods would be limited in production... and not everyone can afford those big ticket magical things... there's stil a nitch... and don't ask me to make you another anvil for that distane. lol

Hmmm... magical jewelry? How much can you save me on a ring of protection +1 and a broach of natural armor? :)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RubySlippers

Well its not like she makes oogles of common items she is a cleric first and foremost, most items she makes would be for dwarven champions most likely but she likely would toss out the odd masterwork item to when the mood struck her.

Muse

:P 

No one makes multiple magic items a day.  And you can't make a magic sword or armor without a masterwork to enchant.  :) 

Besides, think how the poor brewmaster feels, this upstart girl half his age is better at him with alchemy.  ;) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Durim has magical brews (potions) for sale but their costs are hefty ones. Example communal ant haul keg would triple carry ability of a four workers for six hours. Depending what they carry and how fast it can boost production or complete work rapidly in any industry where carrying materials is involved.

Of course Durim can cast the spell itself on people but he has kegs for sale for those far away places. So likely Durim has deals and trading going on with folks outside the village and it gives him hefty buck of cash (the magical brews that is). He daily runs brewery functions and seasonally tries always improve and develop new brews and alcohol to celebrate the dwarven pantheons (he has ongoing dealing with local churches to provide 'holy ale').

So he is not just casually making brews, he is full time brewmaster (and has the feat too). Also has dozen workers which he can boost their carry capacity help load carts or help mules drag enormous amount of barrels to taverns/inns in the city where we reside in (if we have more than just one tavern in community).

So we have magical crafters; one doing weapons and armor, jeweler and brewer. I myself would be interested on ring of protection as well (or ring of spell knowlegde).

Quote from: Muse on February 24, 2013, 11:45:04 AM
:P 

No one makes multiple magic items a day.  And you can't make a magic sword or armor without a masterwork to enchant.  :) 

Besides, think how the poor brewmaster feels, this upstart girl half his age is better at him with alchemy.  ;) 

Huh? How your better in alchemy than I? Also by how much? I have total +20 in craft alchemy checks (did not include masterwork item bonus nor +5 bonus from crafter's fortune).

RubySlippers

Your all special cases most of the time I figure she makes one magic weapon a year, think of her as a samauri swordsmith she would go to a master metalforger to make the metals for the sword then as a cleric bless it and do rites maybe even have the metal in the home of a great hero or heroine. Then at some point make the blade and spend many weeks polishing it and all to make it perfect then enchant it. Then the blade going to someone worthy. Same thing for armor.

You all had the brash commercial rush jobs by her standards.

Zaer Darkwail

Commercia rush jobs? People drink ale and ale empties overtime. A well crafted weapon lasts generations. I am sure you would be busy crafting new legendary axe every tenday if warriors who use them happen drink or eat them :P.

RubySlippers

Well ale also leaves the body in a hurry to.  ;D

Muse

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 24, 2013, 11:49:36 AM
Huh? How your better in alchemy than I? Also by how much? I have total +20 in craft alchemy checks (did not include masterwork item bonus nor +5 bonus from crafter's fortune).

Oh... 

Wow, okay.  I'm an ALCHEMIST and I only have +17 before enhancement bonus!  (22 after.  I thought your 20 included the Crafter's Fortune.) 

I don't think Crafter's Fortune spell stacks with my magic cauldron, or I'd combine them for +27.  ^_^;; 

On the other hand, I think with 5 levels in Alchemist I have the first level of accelerated alchemy. 

I saw the Brewmaster trait, it looks really cool.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

With the way dwarves love their brews, you probably don't need outside trade, which the GM has implied is light at best. Still, supply and demand probably means that a 1 gallon keg of any potion would be so far out of the range of the average citizen that it would be hard pressed to sell to the king on a generous day... I mean, if a simple Cure Light Wound is 50 gp per vial... and a vial is about 2 ounces, that means 64 vials per gallon... lets be generous and say 4 ounces (Half a pint) per dose... 32X 50 is nearly 21,000 gold pieces for a keg. And, that's probably one of the cheaper ones to produce.

On the other hand, really, really good ale will go by the 50 gallon barrel like it was water and probably make a healthy profit as well. :)

How long, regularly does it take to get from 1st level to 6th, if you aren't constantly adventuring? I would think that the weapons and armor are more a commission job, and if it takes a few weeks to get a piece, that's a fair  job. As you said that you can't really do much more than straight pluses, I didn't bother to ask for anything more complicated than that. I admit that I would of loved an speed or keen enchantment, but I didn't think those were really an option for a cleric. *shrugs*

Anyway, it's all in fun. I have to poke at fellow players and Muse knows this all too well. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RubySlippers

I figure my character is supported by the community, she is a cleric and forger of masterful items so will go for a modest home and shrine and her workship to live in and assume she doesn't have to worry.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on February 24, 2013, 12:44:53 PM
Oh... 

Wow, okay.  I'm an ALCHEMIST and I only have +17 before enhancement bonus!  (22 after.  I thought your 20 included the Crafter's Fortune.) 

It is +20 with crafter's fortune. +13 is raw number with only brewmaster feat (not trait) in it. +2 from masterwork tools. +5 then from crafter's fortune.

Anyways yeah, magic ale is expensive and only done in special occassions. Example a dose of single pint which has Heroism in it costs a lot. But even 1st level spells can produce useful effects (one example made you treat deeply intoxicated for 1 hour, as if drinked 10 pints instead 1 pint).

Also communal ant haul could be put on single keg but it functions as the spell; what more drinks it, that more duration is split up between drinkers. Anyways the potions are 2 ounces because it's expected folks can drink many potions or easy to swallow to get full magic effect on them. I am sure you can make 1 keg of cure light wound which cures single invindual but said invindual must drink whole keg to get magic potion effect (at least full effect).

However main business is normal brews but he can make extra magic fancy kegs or sealed pints of finer/stronger stuff which has actual real magic woven in it (example king uncorking bottle to drink toasting drink before battle and get heroism buff on himself example).

Anyways I have trait which says each time I get alcohol I get +2 bonus on will saves vs mind affecting stuff :P.

Chajesdad

Ladies and Gentlemen, I must advise that I am in a bit of a bind. My father is currently in the hospital having suffered a coronary blockage. I will be a bit more sporadic in posting, I have family and other concerns, when I am ready to pick up the game and start I will provide us a venue, and starting information. Please continue to converse and build back story. There are approximately 3,000 dwarves in this community.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I think we all understand that RL comes first and more so when your close relative is in sudden hospital trip :(. I hope things turn out okay.

We will continue linger and mingle in here and chat :).

Chajesdad

Ok, setting up a thread for us to move this to. Let me open the initial invite, and I will post the thread here. Role Call, let me know if I have not lost you with the unexpected and extended absence, Please.

Blinkin

"Belweir Stonecrusher reporting in." as he dust off his armor and begins to oil thebuckles.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

TheRaven

"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Teo Torriatte

Chajesdad