(NCE System) Legend of the Five Rings: Why so serious?

Started by Muse, June 16, 2009, 07:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Legend of the Five Rings is one of the most amazing roll playing settings I've ever encountered, a fantasy game inspired at it's heart--not by Arthur or Charlemaing--but Masamune and Jubei. 

It creates a fantasy playground both beautiful and exotic, with equal opertunities for courtly intruige, mortal war, detective work, and horible wars against inhuman oni.  Not to mention fantasy races far more exotic than any dwarf or hobbit.  And it's filled with primers for us poor western folk for how to talk and act like a samurai! 

So why, I ask you, do I, when expressing interest in gaming in a world where samurai guard a great wall on a vast continent, attract authentic historical roll playing Nazis like flies? 

And so I come in my defiance to you, precious elliquieans, in search of 7 Lecherous Samurai and/or a few damsels who would not bend knee to the Oni no matter how their blossoms dripped. 

Okay, if you bore with me through the above rant, please understand it's not my intention to run a farce or L5R orgy game.  I just think inserting a healthy dose of E into a solid Legend of the Five Rings game will help keep me from taking myself too seriously.  Plus it's fun! 

This story still needs a little work, but in general, I have the impression that a province close to the dragonwall is falling into disorder.  For whatever reason, the Emperor sends in a small group to investigate the source of the issues and re-establish order before the situation degrades into a war in a province where the shadowlands could easily take advantage of that weakness. 

Unfortunately the bureaucrat assigned to gather the group and sassing them had a difrent agenda, and he selected a mish mash of magistraits, monks and shugenja with a reputation for their leachery, and backed them up with a number of virgin samurai women. 

With a crafty Oni general rallying forces while fomenting unrest among the naga, and the imperial agents looking into this catastrophe too busy rooting out the plots they get wind of, Rokugan's only hope may be the misfits that were chosen to doom it. 

What do you think folks? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

Could be amusing. You thinking of 3rd ed rules or what?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ty

I've yet to have a chance to play L5R, though I've 2nd and 3rd Rev. books lying about. I'm not quite sure what character I'd play, but I'd certainly be up for trying this.

It'd also be my first system RP on E (though not otherwise), so please bear with me if I end up messing up the dicebot the first time or two.

HairyHeretic

I'd probably go Scorpion myself. Maybe a Bayushi bushi magistrate. Have him get a few ranks in Hojōjutsu for its many uses ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

I call Dragon Mirumoto Bushi but I won't be playing a Lecherous Bastard either. I'm not too keen on playing lechers.

Paladin

Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 09:45:39 AM
I've yet to have a chance to play L5R, though I've 2nd and 3rd Rev. books lying about. I'm not quite sure what character I'd play, but I'd certainly be up for trying this.

It'd also be my first system RP on E (though not otherwise), so please bear with me if I end up messing up the dicebot the first time or two.

Umm Ty, You say 3rd rev. Umm By 3rd Muse means the True 3rd ed of L5R wich came out a year or two ago. Its not the D20 version but goes back to 2nd ed roots and is D10 again. I hate the D20 version of L5R it really messed things up. So much I gave my D20 version away 2 days after I bought it.

Ty

I mean the revised version of 3rd with the d10s. With Horses in.

HairyHeretic

I think Muse only said system. I'm hoping its the 3rd ed d10 version, as I've no real interest in playing the d20 version either.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: Ty on June 16, 2009, 10:15:09 AM
I mean the revised version of 3rd with the d10s. With Horses in.

ahh ok. Good man.

LordAnubis

I've got a couple of ideas for the game as well.  What rank did you intend people to start at?  1?  Just curious because it shifts my ideas a bit.

Paladin

I have a Legal Rank 2 Character thats was built that way. You gotta read the book really well but its Legal.

LordAnubis

Yes, I've got the books and can build the characters, but building a rank 2 character when he wants us to be rank 1 or rank three changes things.

Just want to know what rank he is looking for us to be before I start going through my books and deciding what I want to play.

Pumpkin Seeds

I am not too familiar with the setting as of 3rd edition, but I'll play if allowed.

HairyHeretic

The setting is the same, more or less. It depends where in the timeline that its being placed. I prefer pre Clan War myself, with the Hantei still on the throne.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I would perfer that as well.  One of my problems with AEG has always been they take the storyline and make such drastic changes so suddenly.

HairyHeretic

Thats the problem with letting the card game dictate the storyline. You have to come up with something that reflects who won, and sometimes the nature of the deck they were playing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

They do the same thing with 7th Sea though.  Though that one I got aggravated about cause they decided to make it more Eastern as well.

HairyHeretic

Wouldn't know. I tend to play mostly Vestens, and occasional Inish / Highlanders. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: LordAnubis on June 16, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
Yes, I've got the books and can build the characters, but building a rank 2 character when he wants us to be rank 1 or rank three changes things.

Just want to know what rank he is looking for us to be before I start going through my books and deciding what I want to play.

Ok thats just it. Characters are built on points. Rank is determined entirely by insight Anubis.

LordAnubis

Yes, I am aware.  I've run and played in the games before.

However, the points you get are based on the rank level the game master runs.   Hence the title of the section being Advanced characters.

Hence me asking Muse what level he wanted the character, because the pacing on E usually means your going to be the rank you start at unless a miracle happens, so I don't want to start picking an idea because X would be a good idea if I won't ever make it to X.

I can understand your being helpful Paladin, but baring Muse having sent you a PM the only answer to my question is going to come from Muse.  It isn't a misunderstanding of the game, it is an inquiery as to the power level he wants for the game he is intending on running.

Paladin

Actually Anubis I have Muse on YIM and am talking to him now.

Muse

Okay, folks, I have to go for a while here. 

My book says Legend of the Five Rings Roll playing Game Third Edition REVISEd on the cover.  Paladin and I just caught that. 

We're starting with 125 EXP, and insight rank not to exceed 3.  (Be versatile.)

And do be sure and put SOMETHING a bit E in your charecter. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LordAnubis

Working on a Shinobi with intresting weapon choice.

HairyHeretic

Can I check something? Do you mean build a normal rank 1 character and then add 125 XP on top of that?

Also, are you allowing anything outside of the core rulebook? I have all the books bar Fealty and Freedom.

Also, are you familiar with the Musha Shugyo fanzine? There is some very useful stuff in there, some of which I'd like to use, if you're ok with that. Yay / Nay or case by case basis?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ty

I am playing with various ideas atm. But the main one is for a female bushi.

As this is a "Why so serious?" game, part of the theory of the character is that the crafting of sexual toys is a High Skill (Artisan?). Even if it's one you can only boast about if you are you good with innuendo. Or drunk.

This is, perhaps obviously, because this is a speciality of the character's family. I was thinking either Lion or Crab. Crab seems to fit particularly well as lonely watches on the Wall, and also a handy place to keep that jade.

The twist comes that she has inherited an heirloom, a hefty ornate dildo that tradition states any spouse of the owner must be able to take fully into them. A tradition that has done well at ensuring wifes provide the family with big healthy children safely, and has at times made up for less than inspiring performances by the husbands. However, when the owner is female it becomes more difficult. Especially as most men willing to attempt the test are not overly interested in a wife except politically.

It is partially in a search for a spouse that the bushi has been assigned to whatever craziness is bringing the group together rather than serving her clan at home.

Any opinions? Advice?