The Book With No Name [Light-NC of the mind control variety]

Started by TheVillain, March 17, 2011, 01:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillain

[From The Notes Of Arnold Cooper]
----------------

March 4

Cooper Books has only been open for 8 days and I already have my first bit of weirdness. Yesterday an old woman came in with a book that had no cover. Opening it up I saw that it used a language that I didn't recognize. There were occasional pictures drawn like diagrams but at least half of them were of sex thing. I'd almost think it was a joke if it wasn't so old. The old lady said it was in an old trunk in her late husband's things. I bought it off of her mostly out of pity.

Turns out this is a good thing. A buddy with the museum tells me it's the infamous 'Book With No Name'. Believed to have been written by some old Italian alchemist along with a couple dozen others based on the chemistry in the paper, it's considered untranslatable. He offered some money to buy it off me. I've decided to take a shot at translating it first.

-------------

May 21st

I finally got a word of 'The Book With No Name' to make sense. It felt like the translation was just on the tip of my fingers and I think it just clicked. The letters are early 17th century Italian with lines added to half-disguise them as Arabic and to top it off the whole thing is written backwards down to how the paragraphs are formatted.

Let's see what this thing says.

--------------

June 14th

Well, at least the translations are coming faster. As far as I can tell the author is some some "natural philosopher" who claims that those who read the book will learn how to influence people, his name withheld out of shame. Influence people? Did I find a 17th century self-help guru?

--------------

July 2nd

Okay, this is getting weird. The methods involved in the influence seem to just be speaking phrases of a nonsense language. According to the author he's done something rather strange. Basically he claims to have partially cracked the programming code of the human mind, at least that's how I understand his claims.

Then why are almost half of these supposed power words sexual?

-----------------

July 7th

What gets me the most is that he goes out of his way to say it's not magic. He insists in natural philosophy, and he treats it like some sort of forerunner to science. He even has a reason for why so many of these things are sexual, something about baser instinct need to be involved for the technique to work. There's no way this could work. Could it?

------------------

[Idea I'm kicking around, basically a mind control idea. Let me know if someone is interested.]
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Marlow

I loooooove mindcontrol and I'd be up totally up for this.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!